The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Top Chef Forum (Protected)
Original message

dabo 25344 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-19-09, 01:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13"

The Final Four

Whew, thank goodness we're finally ... hold on ... yes ... really? ... No, for serious? ... um, okay.

Scratch that.

.........................Ghost Chefs!...........................

Well, friends, it seems in transplanting to New Orleans the Top Chef bigwigs decided to get in the spirit of things and present us with ... TaDa!..

...........................Ghost Chefs!.............................

Yes, by all means, let's reinvent the absolute worst twist ever of a major reality show and drag this out a bit more with...

.............................Ghost Chefs!...............................

OOOOOOO, Spooky! Weren't those guys offed? And how did the producers miss the Friday the 13th angle from last week?

...............................Ghost Chefs!.................................

Okay, admittedly, even though the episode was on back to back to back tonight, I was busy with a bunch of other stuff and didn't really have a chance to, you know, pay much attention and savor and enjoy it. I'll get around to that as soon as I can. Meanwhile, comment away, and don't forget, OOOOOOO...

..........................................Ghost Chefs!............................................

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13 Silvergirl1 02-19-09 1
   RE: Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13 true 02-19-09 2
   RE: Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13 weltek 02-20-09 9
 RE: Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13 jbug 02-19-09 3
   RE: Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13 JessicaRN 02-22-09 19
 I enjoyed this episode aquariaqueen 02-19-09 4
 RE: Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13 okaychatt 02-19-09 5
 RE: Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13 pinksparkleguitar 02-19-09 6
 Hurray for Carla! BlueIris 02-19-09 7
   RE: Hurray for Carla! dabo 02-20-09 8
 Wisconsin weltek 02-20-09 10
 RE: Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13 cipher5150 02-20-09 11
 RE: Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13 DrKegel 02-20-09 12
   RE: Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13 weltek 02-20-09 14
       RE: Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13 dabo 02-20-09 15
 RE: Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13 KwietOne 02-20-09 13
   RE: Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13 aquariaqueen 02-21-09 16
       RE: Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13 DrKegel 02-21-09 17
           RE: Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13 dabo 02-21-09 18
       RE: Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13 JessicaRN 02-22-09 20
 RE: Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13 DrKegel 02-22-09 21
   RE: Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13 cipher5150 02-25-09 22
       RE: Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13 dabo 02-25-09 23

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Silvergirl1 9320 desperate attention whore postings

02-19-09, 03:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Silvergirl1 Click to send private message to Silvergirl1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13"

My girl Carla is looking good again this week, but I did feel sorry for Jeff, who cooked his best, but still came up short.

Fabio just had to go, poor man. He wasn't Cajun enough for the judges.

I'm rooting for Carla for the win, because I think Hosea and Stephan will self destruct.

Agman, 2008

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

true 9689 desperate attention whore postings

02-19-09, 08:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail true Click to send private message to true Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13"
Go Carla!

I really enjoyed Fabio, but it was his time to go. I have no idea what Hosea is still doing there, and Stefan is good, but not as good as he thinks he is.

Go Carla!

weltek 16933 desperate attention whore postings

02-20-09, 10:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13"
Carla has really grown on me, and she's the kind of chef America is ready for right now. She won't fade quietly into the woodwork. She can do accessible "homey" food and fine dining. I think it something foodies are yearning for after the decade of snobby chefs and cloying menus.

-A Tribetastic Creation

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings

02-19-09, 09:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13"
I'm on the Carla bench too! At the beginning I didn't think she stood a snowball's chance. But boy has she shown she has what it takes!

I was really wanting Stephen to go home. And I really think he should have. Based on that challenge alone, the judges had more issues with Stephen's food than with Fabio's. Fabio's only lacked fire (heat). Oh, & his coctail was sweet. Stephen's gumbo was not up to NO standards. His drink wasn't impressive either. But the judges looked back to previous challenges and gave this one to Stephen over Fabio.

Now what would really have been great would have been for Jeff to win the challenge and both Euros go home LOL
Not really - I don't think it fair to bring one back; but Jeff did shine!
I was hoping the judges would tell the group how close the decision was between Carla and Jeff so Stephen & Fabio and Hosea would know that Jeff beat them - that Jeff was actually second in that one.

Emeril: I haven't watched his show in a while - he's beginning to age a bit isn't he? And gained a bit of weight.

One of Shar's unique creations

JessicaRN 1070 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

02-22-09, 00:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail JessicaRN Click to send private message to JessicaRN Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13"
I just watched this episode and I told my husband that Emeril is looking like a characture of himself. Kind of like a Saturday Night Live sketch.

aquariaqueen 2616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

02-19-09, 10:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail aquariaqueen Click to send private message to aquariaqueen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "I enjoyed this episode"
This one actually kept my attention.

Good going, Carla! And I think I like your hair better this way.

I was wondering if she was going to get gigged on her non-alcoholic cocktail. I bet she would have if it was just mediocre. And then if she was either going to slice her hand or not get done with all those oysters!!!

Stephan's attitude almost got the best of him on this episode.

Hosea did a great job on the roux! I was expecting it to burn down, and not have anything to work with.

Fabio's suave' got him this far, he did well, but Cajun killed him.

Does Gail look pregnant to anyone else?

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away
from those who are willing to work and give to those
who would not."
Thomas Jefferson

okaychatt 2810 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

02-19-09, 10:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail okaychatt Click to send private message to okaychatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13"
Hi All - it's been a while, and it's good to see some familiar names.

Carla has a balance of humility, confidence, and humor that I quite like. I think that is reflected in her choices as chef.

She took a chance with that drink, and it paid off. From what the judges were saying in the cut outs, I'd say she definitely deserved the win.

Is it too late to vote for fan favorite? Carla gets my vote.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

pinksparkleguitar 1222 desperate attention whore postings

02-19-09, 12:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail pinksparkleguitar Click to send private message to pinksparkleguitar Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13"
The more I watch, the more I like Carla, too!

I also though Fabio should have stayed around, and Stefan should have gotten the boot, but oh well!

Tribe rocked me!

BlueIris 161 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

02-19-09, 12:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail BlueIris Click to send private message to BlueIris Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "Hurray for Carla!"
I’ve been a Carla fan for awhile. I love her exuberance and humor. She is serious about her food, but not so serious to be off-putting.

I thought it was odd to bring back the last three chefs, why bother? I don't think they were so wrongly sent home that they should have a second chance. Jeff thought he shouldn't have been sent home, but I didn’t think he was going to be a finalist. He seemed more accepting this go around.

Hosea has surprised me. He made a great looking roux. He's much more competitive than I thought (editing? or was I blinded by his fling with Leah?) I didn't think he'd be in the finals.

I'm tired of Stefan's act. He knows he's good, we know he's good, but I wish he showed a tiny bit of humility. Again he thought because he had won in the past he wouldn't be sent home this time. I was hoping Jeff would win, so that Stefan would go home with Fabio.

Fabio was always good with the one liners, but it was his time. Thanks for wearing the required mohawk.

I'm glad that Gail is back for the final two episodes.

02-20-09, 09:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Hurray for Carla!"
Finally got a chance to watch this one, great episode even though they brought losers back for a chance to rejoin the game.

To his credit, I thought Jeff had finally got a handle on the "creative monkeys" (as Carla called it one time) and did a spectacular job both getting back into the game and trying to stay in the game.

Carla just makes great TV, doesn't she! She's a natural performer. And Hosea surpassed my expectations this time and made top three.

I was kind of hoping in the end Stefan would go instead of Fabio, but oh well.

02-20-09, 10:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "Wisconsin"
I would like to note that Stefan was wearing a Wisconsin "Nothing Tips Like a Cow" T-shirt in this episode's confessionals. The best part? I sent Monsty one a few years ago, so now our refined Bostonian has a matching shirt to our EuroChef.

-A Tribetastic Creation

cipher5150 166 desperate attention whore postings

02-20-09, 01:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cipher5150 Click to send private message to cipher5150 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13"
I am also jumping on the Carla bandwagon. The last two episodes she has really stood out as likable and extremely talented. She is a welcome contrast to Stefan and Fabio’s smugness.

She makes good TV and watching the show I thought if she doesn’t win this she would be great in a Food Network Show!

I guess I am in the minority in actually liking them bringing back the eliminated contestants. Unlike, say, Survivor, where it seems pointless, this show is a talent competition and they essentially were eliminated because of one bad meal (since the judges swear they don’t base it on past food) and giving them a second chance is cool with me. And since taste is subjective giving them another chance seems all the more appropriate. Plus I really liked Jeff and was glad that he did well in his second chance.

DrKegel 430 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

02-20-09, 01:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DrKegel Click to send private message to DrKegel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13"

Carla? What?!!!!!

And they move choosing the finalists to New Orleans which favors who again?

Look, even I know that you steam oysters to open them!!!! And Carla doesn't? She should have been ousted for that alone!!! I mean, wasn't Arianna kicked off because she didn't know how to break down a rack of lamb? Carla doesn't know how to open a freakin' oyster!!!! What's worse? And then she wanted everyone to help her? Is she freakin' kiddin' me???!!!

And I am so tired of people choosing winners based on personality. Stefan has won how many competitions again? Even when the judges don't know the identity of who cooked what, they're able to identify his dishes! Also in terms of Stefan being arrogant, why isn't Carla being arrogant when she says she's the tortoise that's going to win? Didn't she picture herself passing everybody by and saying, "Byyye bye!"

If you notice, Stefan has been the first one to step in when someone (usually like Carla) runs into trouble because she can't manage time! She would have been out of the competition had she not received this help. Why is Stefan's helpfulness never mentioned? If he's so evil and so arrogant, I doubt he'd care about anyone but himself! And didn't he figure out a way to freeze his dessert that one time? And Carla ... boooo hooo hooo whined to the judges, "But the freezer wasn't cold enough and I'm just so incompetent and silly I couldn't devise another way to do it so I'm served crap!"

Last night's competition was biased and stacked in her and Jeff's favor. It was just ridiculous as was bringing Jeff back. Why? So he can be kicked out again? Does anyone at Bravo actually think this adds excitement? Why didn't they bring in an unknown? Or a super chef like Bobby Flay? Then they could say if Bobby Flay wins this none of you win! How about that for excitement??!!! NOT!!!

Just based on performance alone, Stefan should win. I really could care less about his personality. In terms of personality I prefer Fabio and Carla to sit down and have a chat, but it has nothing to do with cooking!

It sounds like the upcoming full, multi-course final challenge is equitable. Let the best man ... or woman ... win! I personally think it will be Stefan, but if it's Carla ... then kudos to her!!! But please, it should not be decided because of personality. It should be based on who can cook the most delicious food!

02-20-09, 03:40 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13"
I didn't realize they'd "moved" the finale. Where was it supposed to be?

I think Stefan is the superior chef of them all, but I think the other two have a shot. I agree with you, DrKegel, that Carla's inability to filet fish and shuck oysters is an embarassment for a "Top Chef." As I said above, I think many foodies are looking for a Carla, though. I have a hard time imagining a Stefan loss, as I do think he has the best chef skill, but I won't be upset if any of these three win.

-A Tribetastic Creation

02-20-09, 11:09 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13"
I don't think they changed their minds about the finale location. They always take a break and bring back the finalists in a new locale for the final stretch. At least this time they aren't way up on a mountain somewhere to mess up normal cooking skills.

KwietOne 1083 desperate attention whore postings

02-20-09, 03:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KwietOne Click to send private message to KwietOne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13"
Reminds me of that season of Survivor where they brought back voted off tribe members. I didn't like that twist with this episode. Thinking about it, maybe this twist worked out in Stefan's favor. Had they not had this twist, Fabio and Stefan would have been voted out.

There was this one episode where Stefan should have been voted off instead. I'm thinking Leah specifically where they had to cook a judge's last meal. Across the board everyone felt Stefan's salmon was overcooked yet Leah was voted off?

Another Quick Fire challenge I felt was "rigged" was the one where they had to prepare fish. Hosea had experience with seafood, but when it came down to the final round, it was eels. Wow, a challenge made for Stefan.

I agree...Stefan is very good but if you're gonna be cocky and confident about your ability, then act on it! Then you've got Hosea who doesn't have enough confidence, yet he seems to squeak by.

Now we've got a challenge in New Orleans where it's geared for Carla and Jeff. Now, someone has to say this challenge was rigged for Carla? I can't buy this reasoning.

I'm jumping on the bandwagon for Carla only because I can't stand Stefan and Hosea.

aquariaqueen 2616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

02-21-09, 02:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail aquariaqueen Click to send private message to aquariaqueen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13"
Unless someone tells me with proof that they were supposed to be in another locale, I don't buy it.

And the fact that Carla was still in it, was maybe a plus for her. Just like if someone from the midwest got to cook in Colorado. Last year, didn't they have a Texan femle who knew how to cook moose or bison...some game animal.

Sometimes it's the luck of the draw. If they have a diverse group of chefs, and they're good, it's just possible that they end up in a locale that may benefit them.

Now if any of you watch Amazing Race, it always seems when they have the last leg of the race in a city where someone is familiar, they actually end up losing.

02-21-09, 05:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DrKegel Click to send private message to DrKegel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13"

>I think Stefan is the superior
>chef of them all, but
>I think the other two
>have a shot. I agree
>with you, DrKegel, that Carla's
>inability to filet fish and
>shuck oysters is an embarassment
>for a "Top Chef." As
>I said above, I think
>many foodies are looking for
>a Carla, though. I have
>a hard time imagining a
>Stefan loss, as I do
>think he has the best
>chef skill, but I won't
>be upset if any of
>these three win.
>
>
>
>-A Tribetastic Creation

Oh, I can imagine they are! I have nothing against her, but I thought the same of Arianna and Leah's incompetence!! Leah couldn't filet a fish???? What?!!!!!! What the heck is she doing in a competition entitled, "Top Chef"????? Just ridiculous!!!! And I would even give them a pass if they were self-taught IF they won every single competition or had a string of victories ... like Stefan has, but THEY DIDN'T!!!! They don't have technique, they get flustered AND can't cook! Just at the end - all of a sudden - people are salivating over Carla's food. And what food did they salivate over? Fresh peas???? Again, even "I" can prepare fresh peas!!! They taste delicious in and of themselves. And green eggs and ham????!!!!!! Come on!!!!! I can just imagine her going up into a competition like Iron Chef and whip up eggs and ham!!!! She'd be tossed out of the coliseum on her ear!!!

---------------------------

>And the fact that Carla was
>still in it, was maybe
>a plus for her.

EXACTLY!!!!!

>Just like if someone from
>the midwest got to cook
>in Colorado. Last year,
>didn't they have a Texan
>femle who knew how to
>cook moose or bison...some game
>animal.

Yes, they did everything they could to HAND her the title and then she STILL screwed everything up!!! Wasn't the meat raw or something??? She doesn't know - especially in this day and age - don't trust meat like that????

>Sometimes it's the luck of the
>draw. If they have
>a diverse group of chefs,
>and they're good, it's just
>possible that they end up
>in a locale that may
>benefit them.

It's not the luck of the draw!!! They have complete bios on these chefs. They know what they cook, where they cooked and what their specialties are!!! Even I knew that cooking New Orleans style cuisine would favor Carla just from watching past shows and hearing her make comments!!!

I think the judges comments might be to add excitement. Like being unduly harsh on Stefan because if he's the clear winner ... they think nobody's going to watch! It also makes the dumb audience - that would what they think we are - will go "Duh!!! Look they're really taking him down a peg or two!!" I don't know why it is we feel we need to punish confident people when Bobby Flay has his stupid face all over the place!!! And then there's Hell Kitchen?!!!! What?!!!!!!! I mean, what's his excuse for being such a steroid ragin' idiot? Oh, yeah, he wants to HELP the chefs he's berating!!!! I know that would help me alright!!!

Stefan should win. End of story. I think it's also kind of naive to think they should NOT take into account the history of the contestant on the show. Like if Leah and Stefan were in the bottom, thinking they're even and judging that way. They're NOT!!! Stefan won 50 million times and Leah can't even cook a stupid egg properly! I make one for breakfast every day - and it's never runny! And could she explain where she learned the technique NOT to fillet the fish first, but cut it up in a million pieces first and then try to pick out thousands of pieces of bone instead of just taking out the one long bone that was in one piece before she started cutting????

I should add, if Carla wins, I'll think something is fixed. If Hosea wins (vomiting sounds!!!), I will KNOW something is fixed!!!

On a lighter note, I love that little bit where they showed the judges unable to stop eating one contestant's entry!!! I wonder who it was???? And what it was??? Did anybody get a good look? I was sort of getting up when I heard them say it and I turned and ... ???? Was it a dessert??? Soup??? If it was soup, it had to be Carla's. If it was a dessert ... hmmm... could either be Carla or Stefan since they both specialize in them.

That's the only bad thing about this show. Sometimes I soooooo want to just reach in and taste something!!!! Some of those dishes look so good!!! Maybe they could give out doggie bags at the studio or something???

02-21-09, 08:15 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13"
Whatever the result, I agree that Stefan is still the chef to beat. But I disagree that if he doesn't win it's "fixed" somehow. Give me something more solid than supposition.

The finale challenge comes down always to performance in that challenge, nothing else, and if in the end Stefan loses it will be because he underestimated his competition and did himself in.

And we've already seen that he's coasted a few times.

Conversely, Carla and Hosea are both pushing themselves, genuinely trying to surpass themselves and compete, so it is (in my opinion) wrongheaded to count either of them out.

JessicaRN 1070 desperate attention whore postings

02-22-09, 00:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail JessicaRN Click to send private message to JessicaRN Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13"
I think they have always moved the finale to another location. Last year was in Puerto Rico, before that Aspen and I remember a Hawaii finale also.

They usually are allowed to bring some of their own special ingredients from home.

02-22-09, 09:33 AM (EST)
21. "RE: Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13"

>Whatever the result, I agree that
>Stefan is still the chef
>to beat. But I
>disagree that if he doesn't
>win it's "fixed" somehow.
>Give me something more solid
>than supposition.
>
Something more than supposition? Well, Arianna and Leah were both incompetent in terms of not being able to perform skills that any chef SHOULD be able to do. Carla has demonstrated complete incompetence TWICE in basic culinary expertise AND much more than than that in actually being a problem-solver. Wasn't she the one that baked some sort of apple dessert and then just plopped a slice of cheese next to it on the plate? Come on!!!

Hosea has also demonstrated a lack of knowledge plus the fact he and Carla have been in the bottom how many times now? And they're going to win?

Like I said, this challenge was all about getting Carla into the finals!!!

>The finale challenge comes down always
>to performance in that challenge,
>nothing else, and if in
>the end Stefan loses it
>will be because he underestimated
>his competition and did himself
>in.
>
I guess. I really don't know because I can't taste the stuff. I will agree that theoretically it should be about the best winning - no matter the personality or how well-liked they are. And speaking of well-liked, exactly how many times has Carla helped anyone? What was that? Zero times? And Hosea? The same.

I don't think Stefan underestimated anything. I think he knows he's the superior chef. He knows how what to do and how to work around a refrigerator that isn't cold enough. He's the one that knows how to bone a fish. He's the one that would know to steam the stupid oysters before resorting to "MacGyvering" them.

>And we've already seen that he's
>coasted a few times.
>
I don't remember this happening. If you're referring to "coasting" because he won a quick fire challenge - ???? That's not really "coasting." I think Leah and Hosea AND Carla have coasted. They were in the bottom so many times, but the judges could only eliminate one person and so they stuck around. Plus Leah was rubbing herself all over Hosea and it made for interesting TV (in the minds of the Bravo execs). Why they thought ANYONE would want to see her doing that is beyond me!!! I'm glad that her hormonal activity caused her to stop shoveling food into her mouth for all of 20 seconds though.

>Conversely, Carla and Hosea are both
>pushing themselves, genuinely trying to
>surpass themselves and compete, so
>it is (in my opinion)
>wrongheaded to count either of
>them out.

Pushing themselves? Let's see green eggs and ham???!!! Yeah, wow! I'm surprised she got all that done!!! Would have taken me ... oh, well, let's see .. 5 minutes ... oh, yeah that's right. And those fresh peas ... wow!!! Overwhelming!!!! And again, she's so busy trying to pick at Stefan for making two kinds of spinach that she doesn't even think to add anything to her pathetic dish.

And the only time Hosea has ever pushed anything was when he pushed Leah off of him!!!!

cipher5150 166 desperate attention whore postings

02-25-09, 01:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cipher5150 Click to send private message to cipher5150 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13"
While I would agree that Stefan appears to be the most skilled in this group I am having a difficult time finding anything else in your posts I would agree with.

Yes, Stefan has won 8 challenges but 4 of those where for quick fires (which one could argue might not be the best test of a chef’s ability). And let’s not forget that one of those quick fires was for nothing more than peeling apples, something that any chef who has reached the level that these chefs have, has probably not had to do for years. I think a better judge of their overall skill is their challenge wins and Carla has 3 wins to Stefan’s 4. I also think it is important to point out that they both have been on the chopping block 3 times. All this taken together, I think they are more evenly matched than you realize.

I could also not disagree more with your statements that the challenges are fixed to favor some contestants. If you don’t think that all of the episodes are completely planned and mapped out before the season begins then you have obviously never done any production or event planning. You can’t just throw these types of things together at the last minute. As someone who has worked in event planning I can tell you that the producers would have had to deal with things like multi-location shoots, space rental, union issues, permitting, inventory and supplies, travel for the crew and contestants, décor, time logistics, etc, etc. I assure you that even though the New Orleans episode may have looked simple, a significant number of people spent a vast amount of time planning it and going over every detail for weeks on end. And I don’t see why you think this challenge was designed for a Carla win when she has experience in southern cooking – not Cajun cooking. Although they might have some elements in common, they are really two completely different styles (as noted on the show).

I also don’t think it is absurd that someone that has never shucked oysters wouldn’t know that they could steam them for a few seconds to make them easier to shuck. Jeff is the one who questioned this but he specializes in seafood. Carla said she had shucked her first oyster only a few weeks earlier. No matter how skilled a chef is there are going to be things they have never done before or aren’t familiar with. Carla knew how to shuck it – she just didn’t know that there were easier ways to do it. I don’t really think that lack of knowledge of this is a reflection of her skill as a chef.

In the end, none of this matters as the final episode winner will all come down to who makes the best meal this episode. Nothing that happened in the past is significant.

02-25-09, 07:57 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Top Chef NY Spooky Ep 13"
Seriously, this shucking oysters thing has gotten way too much attention. A lot of oysters are shucked raw, no steaming just put on ice. It happens in oyster bars all the time, shucking unsteamed raw oysters, no big deal. Anyone not practiced in shucking oysters would not be able to do it expert quick whether they were steamed or raw, it's an acquired skill of oyster shuckers. It's Top Chef not Top Shucker.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •