URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID2
Thread Number: 7992
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Final 5 on Jeff Probst Show today"

Posted by Brownroach on 12-12-12 at 02:53 AM
In an "unprecedented" pre-finale event.

http://www.jeffprobst.com/posts/episode/2465_Survivor_Finalists/index.html

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Final 5 on Jeff Probst Show today"
Posted by Flowerpower on 12-12-12 at 07:44 AM
It's on at 4 where I am. I'll be watching! Thanks

Posted by michel on 12-12-12 at 08:28 AM
Could you give us a rundown later, please?

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 12-12-12 at 08:43 AM
LAST EDITED ON 12-12-12 AT 08:43 AM (EST)

Just linking to what has already been discussed on this topic - there might be relevant bits as things unfold during the show.

http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/DCForumID2/7988.shtml#17

And michel? It's on Global TV here at 2 pm, I don't know if you guys would get that network in Quebec or not. Check it out, you might have the show on one of your networks if not Global.

Posted by Brownroach on 12-12-12 at 10:57 AM
Sorry Pepe, didn't see your post in the other thread

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 12-12-12 at 11:46 AM
No it's actually a good idea to have a thread on its own for the spoiler potential and also it isn't confined just to one episode as in the case of the Episode 13 title thread.

"Probst Show - East Coast Spoiler Thread"
Posted by PepeLePew13 on 12-12-12 at 03:09 PM
Jeff says he's nervous because it's the first time they've interviewed castaways before the finale and not sure how CBS will react.

The five come out and there's a huge standing ovation.

Boy, Denise really is tiny. Abi looks the most different from the island to now, the other four pretty much look the same.

Lisa is first to sit down 1:1 with Probst. Blah blah blah about how she grew up in the public eye and now asking about how reality
TV is different from Facts of Life. Not an easy journey for her, been very vulnerable and emotional roller coaster. Big part of it is a lack of food influencing things. Talks about her scene with Penner, sitting in the water by a sort of a cove setting. Talks about her brother's visit reinvigorating her. A shot of Lisa as Blair from the TV show. Cut to a scene of Lisa on the island and the conversation with Penner psychoanalyzing her on the beach, how she should play to the audience.

Next up after the break... Abi. "I'm a crazy Brazilian with great intentions."

"RE: Probst Show - East Coast Spoiler Thread"
Posted by PepeLePew13 on 12-12-12 at 03:22 PM
Now up... Abi.

Jeff said he thought Abi was really charming before the season started and that she'd charm the pants off everyone there on the island, didn't quite happen that way. Shows a clip of some of her most infamous moments where she's bombing away at Lisa, for one. Here she is now on the stage with Jiffy.

*gouges own eyes out*

Jeff says he is torn over whether to believe there is a cultural disconnect or not. "I was PMSing." Abi admits that she sucked at the social aspect. Jeff asks the fans if any of them think Abi could make it to the end and still win, there's a resounding NO. Ouch. Cut to a shot of her sticking her tongue out at Denise at Tribal Council. Jeff asks her now about impression of her having an idol, and she said she's trying anything, even a 1 percent chance is better than nothing and she has nothing to lose.

What's the hardest part of her time there? Emotion. "I'm a crazy Brazilian with great intentions."

Now they let Abi go and bring in Skupin onto the stage.

Returning player, blah blah blah, one of the most shocking moments when he fell into the fire in Australia. Shows a montage of minor injury after minor injury after minor injury. Pete says "wait and see what happens when we are around a fire." Goggles blew up in his face.

Now a discussion about his status as a returning player -- should keep or vote out? Skupin knew on day two he was in trouble and would have to really scramble for the rest of the game because of his status as a returning player.

Skupin talks about repeatedly counting votes, trying to figure out who others might be voting for as he fights his way to the final three. He says every one of the five of them has a case for winning at the end, even Abi.

Skupin's done now. Denise is up next after the break.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 12-12-12 at 03:25 PM
Malcolm just tweeted now:

Best Survivor quote of mine they didn't show (to Skupin, who was acting suspicious in the ocean shallows): "Skupin!... You poopin??"

Posted by dabo on 12-12-12 at 03:33 PM
How did we ever miss out on Poopin' Skupin!

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 12-12-12 at 03:35 PM
Here's Denise now.

Denise physical dominance, very impressive, they're showing the challenge that she won where they had to hold a bucket up by keeping a rope from being unrolled.

Talks about how she's a big underdog because she had to go to every single tribal and fight her way back from a decimated tribe. Her husband's visit was a "fuel" for her, says it's not a "normal 30 days" and she has never been without being in contact with him, or her 9 year old daughter until now. Says she didn't buy for a minute that Abi had an idol. Agrees that she's got a good story if she gets to the end, why she's deserving. Jeff asks the audience if they think she could win, and the audience cheers.

Denise leaves, Malcolm comes in.

Malcolm says this is fun, he'd like to do this more often. Lots of female fans. Clip of Malcolm dominating the challenge where they have to catch balls being slung from a slingshot. "He is eating Carter's lunch." Jeff says Malcolm is in a golden spot as he has an HII. "Unless you do something crazy, you're a lock." "Sometimes I do crazy things." (Yep, sounds like he might have let a spoiler slip there). Malcolm says he's safe tonight if he plays his cards correctly with the HII. Jokes that he's already told off Lisa for wanting to get him booted last ep. Lots of fun for him as a big fan of the show and says it's an ego check for him.

Jeff says one of the things he loves about Malcolm is that he and his brother could only watch one show growing up and that was 'Survivor'.

We go to break now, and all five will be sitting together when we come back.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 12-12-12 at 03:44 PM
Here we go, all five now sitting on the stage with Jiffy.

"What needs to happen tonight?"

Lisa jokes that Malcolm needs to be voted off because of his HII and talks about determining who's more valuable to her staying in the game or being out and voting for her. You have to manage every single moment.
Abi - repeats that Malcolm needs to be out tonight.
Skupin - "I gotta win" and that Malcolm has been on every single food reward. It affects your mind and body.
Denise - I just need to keep nuturing my alliance with the four and keep doing that kind of therapy to ensure it's still there.
Malcolm - "There's no point in being out there if you don't get to the end. With the leverage that I have I need to be careful and make the correct decision on who to go to the end with, or at least try to go to the end with." Jiffy immediately says "hmm, did he just give something away there?"

Cut to break.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 12-14-12 at 02:29 AM
>>> Jiffy immediately says "hmm, did he just give something away there?"

But that's not how he ended it. Then he added, or didn't he, or some phrase to shed doubt and imply that you could read it either way.

Jeff said he was really nervous about the contestants inadvertently spoiling the end. That moment struck me as Jeff doing quick damage control, which he probably should have left alone.

I got the vibe from Malcolm that he was very chill and over it. Like he had done his thing. I think that Denise, Skupin, and Lisa are the Finalists and still on the hot seat waiting to have their win and losses confirmed. You can see they are still wrapped up in their game even months later.

Abi OTOH was concerned with rehabilitating her image, and Malcolm, I think he knows he was hugely popular and he did his best, but ... as he revealed, he had no idea Lisa and her brother were going to blindside him at F6.

He didn't know how close Skupin and Lisa were to holding on to Abi and making a play to dump him at F4.

His "leverage" as he called it, he chose not to use actively, as we saw last night. He didn't save Denise. He sent the signal to his "boat" F3 that he was indeed prepared to let Denise go. They are the two, Lisa and Skupin, who he decided to go to the end with, not Denise. He abandoned his "pair" ally.

That has to send a signal to Denise and free her to do what she can at F4 and not feel obligated to go with Malcolm and try to vote out one of Lisa or Skupin. The latter is the pair that won't break, the one that Skupin has talked about going to the end as the one constant alliance.

Malcolm is trying to sell the "no one can beat Denise" angle to Skupin and Lisa, but everyone else believes that no one can beat Malcolm, including Denise.

I think Malcolm is bound to fall. It might have helped if he had used that leverage on Denise. She might have stuck to an agreement not to vote for him at F4.

If she wins immunity at F4, he is toast without that. Who does he think would go? Was he so sure he could beat her?

Anyhow, I felt like he wasn't as into explaining his game as the others. He was more deprecating and kidding about himself. Like he doesn't really have a stake. I thought that Denise was totally on. I think she is getting ready to be announced as the winner. Whether they know who won is another story.

Like Abi, Denise is busy doing rehab on her image, but in her case I think it's so that she can be the worthy and popular winner, as she knows she will take some heat for her treatment of Abi.

Lisa will be content if she can prove to everyone she really played the game and left the "hot mess" Lisa who cried and bumbled behind.

Skupin, it seems like he feels pretty good about it all. He dodged a huge bullet and he didn't get med-evac'd. And he got to F3. Maybe he will get the votes but I just don't see Tandang rallying around him as one of their own.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 12-12-12 at 03:50 PM
Questions from the audience.

"First thing you ate when you got home?" Malcolm immediately raised his arm and said he went to the bakery and ordered a cookie cake for himself. Abi had sushi.

Denise asked about being a therapist and how Survivor might have influenced her clientele. Malcolm and Skupin cozy up closer to her. "I'm a sex therapist." She did think a lot about how it might affect her clients and said it's been good so far, they've opened up.

For the women... "Monthly cycles, are you allowed to use feminine products?" Ladies crack up. Lisa says it's really embarrassing but she's gone through menopause so it doesn't apply to her. Abi said the day she was the craziest, it was her time of the month. Overshare! Jiffy steps in and says there's a med box with different supplies for whatever they might need (i.e. sunscreen), but "no tweezers or toilet paper."

Posted by dabo on 12-12-12 at 03:57 PM
Menopause? She's only 49. Bummer.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 12-12-12 at 04:02 PM
Yeah I'd say it happened very recently for her and that on top of her divorce only becoming official 9 days before they flew out to the Philippines made for a toxic cocktail of emotions that made the game remarkably tough for Lisa. Kudos to her for having to deal with all that while also trying to make sense of the stuff being stirred up in camp with Penner/Skupin/Abi and still making this far in the show.

Posted by hrh40 on 12-12-12 at 07:37 PM
Actually, it was confusing because she said "if I answered honestly, I'd say because it didn't apply to me ... but it's NOT because I've already gone through menopause. Let me just put it that way."

So I'm not sure what that means?

It's up now at Jeff's site, so if others watch, see what you think:

http://www.jeffprobst.com/posts/2484_survivor_finalists_answer_burning_questions/index.html

Posted by dabo on 12-12-12 at 08:14 PM
Hm, okay. I believe they are allowed to continue some daily medicine regimines while playing Survivor, so if she is on one of the birth control pills that limits periods instead of mimicking the monthly cycle (to say four or three or even two per year) that could explain it.

Other things might not be allowed because they would affect gameplay, like taking beta blockers for high blood pressure. They would probably just reject those people for medical reasons anyway.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 12-12-12 at 09:05 PM
Verry interesting! The "not" didn't appear on the captions on my TV when I checked it on the PVR. But I do believe your word that she said "not", which makes the statement confusing without knowing the full context of what she actually means since she didn't explain further.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 12-14-12 at 01:55 AM
Pepe,
The "not" was there, so pretty clear she was making the point that she hadn't gone through menopause and implication would be something like birth control pills. And they do give those to women who start bleeding heavily in pre-menopause, just as an example of why an older woman would be taking them who wasn't planning to have sex on National Television.

I looked up the average age of menopause and it's 51, so 49 wouldn't be early, dabo, not really. But she said she wasn't. Whatever, the whole lead up of perimenopause puts women through symptoms, and of course she is in that range. Seems to be in denial that hormones could have been messing her up.

Posted by dabo on 12-14-12 at 02:15 AM
Ah, so that's the reason people think my wife is much younger than me even though we are the same age. Lucky me I guess.

Posted by rachelOH63 on 12-14-12 at 02:56 AM
TMI, but...my mind goes to having a hysterectomy (sp? - not looking the spelling up now...) maybe it is from my perspective because I had one in my 40's... but I don't think that's something to be "embarrassed" about... Well, maybe if you're answering it for the whole world to know your business....

Posted by dabo on 12-14-12 at 02:24 PM
LAST EDITED ON 12-14-12 AT 02:30 PM (EST)

I don't think Lisa has anything to be embarrased about either, whatever the explanation might actually be. But if she doesn't want to talk about it that's her decision and fine, it's none of my business.

I just brought up one reasonable explanation to show that there are reasonable explanations. It's not a mystery I need to figure out.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 12-12-12 at 03:55 PM
LAST EDITED ON 12-12-12 AT 04:00 PM (EST)

More questions.

There's a skinny lady wearing a buff as a shirt. Which is more difficult, going without food or being cold? They said it rained 21 days straight at one point, saying being cold was really difficult. Denise actually slept in a potato sack one night, being tiny enough to fit in. Skupin talked about counting 67 grains of rice to be served to each person at one meal.

What do you do when you're not on camera, Jeff? Rehearsing challenges, spends a lot of time on that and working with a dream team. Talking about twists, where to put idols, etc., managing the show - easiest part of the day for him is when he's in front of the camera.

Next question... some guy holds up a photo that Jeff sent him one time after he obsessed over his Survivor applications dating back to 2002. Advice for applying on the show - we don't care what's on the tape as long as it shows your "essence". They don't have the money to interview everyone so they need to get the essence of the person to decide whom to interview for casting. "We miss good people all the time."

Trivia test coming up.

Guy named Mike is apparently an savant of the game. Jeff asked him, "who was the fourth boot in such-and-such season" and Mike nails it.

Show wraps up now with a final spiel from Jiffy to watch tonight and on Sunday where $1 million will be handed out to the winner.

Posted by CTgirl on 12-12-12 at 05:55 PM
Thanks for the blow-by-blow Pepe! I forgot to DVR it.

Posted by michel on 12-12-12 at 06:11 PM
Thank you for this, Pepe.

Posted by Flowerpower on 12-12-12 at 08:51 PM
Yes, Pepe! I agree, thanks so much for posting! You ROCK!

Posted by jobgirl on 12-14-12 at 02:31 AM
Yes thank you for posting the interview summaries. I didn't get to see it. Much appreciated!

Posted by Blind Freddy on 12-14-12 at 02:19 PM
And thanks from me too, Pepe!

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 12-14-12 at 04:16 PM
My pleasure to all! I figured that this might be an one-and-done type of thing - I can't imagine the CBS folks being all that comfortable over the info that were revealed, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they never allowed a showing of the final five before the finale again (I think they should, since it helps with the buzz of the show and I found it interesting to see what they thought now while they're still airing on TV).

So... you never know if there's something that might be revealed, so I wanted to do this ECST.

The only thing that will be missing for me is the cut from the TC where Jiffy says "see you back in America" and then we go to the finalists live on stage - I always enjoyed seeing what they look like going from 39 days on the island to fresh and clean. That'll be gone now.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 12-15-12 at 05:53 PM
Agree, Pepe.
It was refreshing to see a less hurried interview, and I liked seeing them talk from the POV of just prior to the end. The Reunion covers way too much ground in too little time, and always includes unaccountable time wasters.

I know what you mean about the appearance, but fear not, we will still get a shocking transition from their game look to the usual bad hair, make-up and bizarre wardrobe choices so beloved by CBS. (CBS picks their clothes for the Reunion.)

"Clips of Final 5 on Jeff Probst Show today (12/12/12)"
Posted by Sheldor on 12-12-12 at 10:41 PM
Lisa Made It to the Final Five!
http://www.jeffprobst.com/posts/2487_lisa_made_it_to_the_final_five/index.html

Lisa Whelchel fulfilled a longtime dream of hers when she competed this season on 'Survivor.' Check out this clip where she tells Jeff all about being one of the final five.

For more with Jeff and Lisa, check out her interview from the last time she was on the show!

Survivor Finalist Abi Speaks Out!
http://www.jeffprobst.com/posts/2488_survivor_finalist_abi_speaks_out/index.html

Abi-Maria is one of the most talked-about castaways on this season of "Survivor." Is she a cunning strategist, or out of her league? In the clip from today's show, she tells Jeff all about how it feels to be part of the final five.

Survivor Finalists Answer Burning Questions
http://www.jeffprobst.com/posts/2484_survivor_finalists_answer_burning_questions/index.html

What an exciting day! We had the five finalists from 'Survivor' on the show, and Jeff opened up the floor to the studio audience to give them the chance to ask whatever they wanted. Check out this video to get the inside scoop on what it's like to be stranded for a month on a tropical island.

"RE: Clips of Final 5 on Jeff Probst Show today (12/12/12)"
Posted by Outfrontgirl on 12-14-12 at 01:57 AM
Thanks Sheldor. I was going to post those links.

I am wondering if Canadians who can't see the CBS videos can see the Probst youtube videos? Is the problem CBS or is it Youtube?

Posted by Sheldor on 12-14-12 at 07:04 PM
>Thanks Sheldor. I was going
>to post those links.
>
>I am wondering if Canadians who can't see the CBS videos
>can see the Probst youtube videos? Is the problem
>CBS or is it Youtube?

CBS puts country restriction on almost all of their videos either on the CBS web site or the CBS You Tube channel.

The Jeff Probst show is not a CBS property. In most areas the Jeff Probst show airs on NBC.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 12-15-12 at 05:56 PM
Right, of course I realize JP show is not CBS. I was just wondering if the country restrictions are peculiar to CBS or other networks do it too.

So I gather from what you say that it's CBS only that does this.

Posted by Sheldor on 12-15-12 at 07:10 PM
>Right, of course I realize JP show is not CBS. I was just
>wondering if the country restrictions are peculiar to CBS or
>other networks do it too.

I don't know about that since I live in the US. I hear a lot of complaints about CBS web site but the Jeff Probst show is not on a TV web site; it has its own show specific web site so was hopefuly they are viewable outside the US