URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID44
Thread Number: 1886
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Gay Idol Journal - Standards Week"

Posted by TODDLJ on 04-23-06 at 06:25 PM
This Week’s Diva Rankings

1. Katherine
Katherine earns her first Diva of the Week title by a wide margin this week. This week, she shunned the usually frumpy attire, in favor of a slimming black perfectly-fitted pantsuit over a low-cut black tank that revealed a tastefully sexy amount of cleavage. Her sleek hair was gorgeous as always, and swept back to highlight her fabulous cheekbones. The cameraman made love to her this week (figuratively, not literally, I assume) favoring her with numerous lingering extreme close-ups that showed off her flawless porcelain skin. Finally, popping out amid the subtle attire, was a stunning necklace with huge aquamarine gems.

2. Kellie
Does anyone here thing that if Kelly wasn’t so gosh-darned beautiful, she would be anywhere near the top 12? I didn’t think so. Well, Kellie blew some serious chunkage this week, with what was perhaps the biggest train-wreck of a ‘performance’ so far this season. Still, she stayed out of the bottom three. How does she do it? She said it herself: "When all else fails you gotta have great shoes, right?" This week she wore a Fuchsia silk spaghetti-strap dress, with was vertcailly seamed, almost corset-like, to accentuate her hourglass figure. It didn’t completely work, because the dress kept riding up and bunching, not unlike the cheap Roman shades Laura always makes on Trading Spaces. Saving the whole evening for Kellie, however, was her fabulous rhinestone encrusted silver strappy open-toed pumps.

3. Taylor
Has Taylor been reading my column? In stark contrast to last week, Taylor looked classy… and hid his belly well… in a fitted Charcoal grey suit, slimming black dress shirt (tucked in, thankfully) and a sleek black dress belt. I couldn’t have chosen better myself. My only suggestion for him at this point is to add a bit of color now and then to his typically range of grays and blacks. Since his personality and performance style are quirky, his color sense could stand to be a bit quirkier to. Throw on a hot pink tie, or a royal purple sportcoat, or an emerald green shirt. Take a risk, Taylor (colorwise) and it just might pay off for you. (Of course, it also might crash and burn, and I reserve the right to jeer you mercilessly if it does.)

4. Ace
Booted 4/19/06.

This was a big image-change week for Ace, and I’d have to say the transformation was ill-conceived. Part of Ace’s sexiness came from his tight trendy-casual wardrobe and skillfully unkempt hair. Those things were gone this week. Instead, he took the stage in a fitted black suit, with a white dress shirt, black dress belt, and a conservatively thin aqua tie. His hair, oddly enough, was plastered back into a little low ponytail. If this was the first time I saw him, frankly, I still would have probably thought he was hot. But strictly by comparison to previous, this look seemed labored and forced for him. And, not liking the new Ace any better than the old Ace, the viewers chose to boot him. Oh well, so much for my eye candy. (Meanwhile the heteros STILL have Kellie to ogle, probably for weeks to come, despite the fact that she doesn’t have any more talent than Ace did. Yet another example of how unfair this world is to us homos.)

5. Elliott
Elliott remains in fifth position this week. He attempted casual elegance, and nearly pulled it off. I liked the purple striped dress shirt which he wore untucked over distressed jeans, as well as his ‘normal’ goatee and much better (bordering-on-really-good) hair. What I didn’t like was the fey purple polka-dot pocket square, and the boxy black tux jacket (I would have much preferred a fitted black sportcoat for this look.) Anyway, it’s clear he’s trying and risk-taking, and he should get points for that.

6. Chris
Chris takes a big tumble on my chart this week, mainly due to one item of attire, a taupe silk ascot. Really, Chris, an ascot?!? Who wears an ascot!?! (I mean, besides Charles Nelson Reilly.) Can you say Fashion Citation? Furthermore, Chris’ black dress pants (with silver pocket chains) and black pinstripe vest were inoffensive, though for my own taste, I wished they matched using all or part of the same fabric. His odd, ugly ‘S’ sideburns are back… and he wore his taupe dress shirt with the sleeves rolled uncomfortably high, no doubt to show off his toned ‘rocker’ arms. (Yes Chris, we get it, you work out. Next time find something that shows off your body… and is also fashionable. That’s the real trick to dressing a well-built man. Trust me, I would know. I dress one every morning. And by that I mean, sadly, myself, and not some hot boytoy.)

7. Paris
Paris gets the other Fashion Citation this week. Where in the hell did she find that salmon 90’s power suit anyway? Hillary Clinton’s garage sale? She looked like a temp secretary on her way to work at the Mary Kay corporate office. The color was hideous, the fit was unflattering, and the style was simply wrong for anything beyond answering phones, making coffee, and some light typing. Her severely plastered back ponytail didn’t do her any favors either… and, in stark contrast to Diva Katherine, Paris’ extreme close-ups only revealed that she really needs to get into the dentist to file down and even out those jagged-a$$ teeth of hers.

Gay Idol Journal is a RealityTVWorld.com exclusive! That being said, feel free to forward it anywhere, as long as you credit me!

Note to my readers: I have read so many posts from those who dislike Katherine because of her ‘cocky’ attitude and ‘beauty pageant’ demeanor. This perception couldn’t be any more wrong. What many people don’t know is that Katherine has struggled with her weight (she recently lost 30 pounds) and does not see herself as beautiful or pageant-worthy. She wears frumpy clothing often because she thinks that’s all she can wear. She is still trying to get used to the fact that she is pretty and that others view her as such. The stiffness we see, and her forced smile, comes from trying to feel comfortable in her own skin, not from overconfidence or entitlement. The fact that she is sometimes unable to fully commit vocally and emotionally to the song comes from this same place of insecurity. Try to view her next time with that knowledge, and see if it changes your opinion of her.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Gay Idol Journal - Standards Week"
Posted by pinksparkleguitar on 04-23-06 at 07:41 PM
>7. Paris
>Paris gets the other Fashion Citation
>this week. Where in
>the hell did she find
>that salmon 90’s power suit
>anyway? Hillary Clinton’s garage
>sale? She looked like
>a temp secretary on her
>way to work at the
>Mary Kay corporate office.
>The color was hideous, the
>fit was unflattering, and the
>style was simply wrong for
>anything beyond answering phones, making
>coffee, and some light typing.

I totally agree! The whole time I was watching Paris sing, I couldn't beleive that someone had put her in that awful colored suit. A suit that looked so administrative assistant-y!! I could wear that to work, I guess, but Paris should have stayed far, far away with it. She looked at least 20 years older that she is. It was awful!!!

Posted by dangerkitty on 04-23-06 at 08:30 PM
Fantastic!

I knew Katharine would be Diva of the Week!

And frankly, I thought you would rank Kellie much lower - although she did look great, didn't she commit the anti-Diva mortal sin of "dissing" herself? Remarks like "I butchered it!" and "I won't put you through the torture" - very un-diva like, as I have learned from you in the past. Do her shoes make up for that much? Or are the others just that unworthy?

Love the Chris and Paris notes especially.

Thank you for the information on Katharine. I think she's terrific and never subscribed to any of the negative views of her - and your input makes me "get" her even more. I know that what you are saying is completely reasonable.

So glad you are back, and I've been looking forward to this edition. What a treat!

dk

Posted by nailbone on 04-23-06 at 09:27 PM
Excellent as always!!

Yet another example of how unfair this world is to us homos.)

And women, according to my wife.

And I love the info about Kat. Makes me love her all the more.

Sig by Arkie!!

Holey carp! My blog! MySpace!
Official OT Tassel Adjuster o-

Posted by brvnkrz on 04-23-06 at 10:18 PM
another great job. And you made lvoe Kat just that much more because of your note to readers.

Nothing sexier to me than a humbled beautiful woman.

Posted by finallytyping on 04-23-06 at 10:29 PM
>
>3. Taylor
>Has Taylor been reading my column?
> In stark contrast to
>last week, Taylor looked classy…
>and hid his belly well…
>in a fitted Charcoal grey
>suit, slimming black dress shirt
>(tucked in, thankfully) and a
>sleek black dress belt.
>I couldn’t have chosen better
>myself.
>.....(lots of great suggestions)

The first thing I thought of when I saw him was that he
really looked great. Shows what a good outfit will do for
you (yes- I'm only just figuring this out and I'm old.)
I do think a great outfit is more than just shoes (sorry Kellie.)

I'm sure there is a job out there
for an internet stylist. People could send you pictures of
them in their outfits and you could let them know what needs
to go. Of course, I'm sure this already exists and yet again
I'm showing my age.

Keep it up!

Posted by Rhyn on 04-24-06 at 06:52 AM
Thank you for blasting Chris. Ugly sideburns aside, I think he is an incredibly appealing man, but ascots are for secret societies and poets of the romantic era. Not Chris. It was bad, bad, bad. And the chain just confused me.

And ever since the top 12, Kelly has looked like she had a face replacement and a wig-fitting. I don't get how people who saw her pre-top-12 can think she is at all attractive anymore. What happened to her face?

Posted by Magnolia_Rocker on 04-24-06 at 08:01 AM
Spot on observations as always. Love your work!!!

Thank you for the information on Kat. I never saw her as cocky and I'm glad the ones that did have this information now.

Siggy thanks to Syren!

Posted by archon on 04-24-06 at 08:57 AM
"Where in the hell did she find that salmon 90’s power suit anyway? Hillary Clinton’s garage sale? She looked like a temp secretary on her way to work at the Mary Kay corporate office."

Now I have to clean off my monitor - from all the coffee I just spit at it laughing so hard! Excellent!

Archon

"You can get more with a 2x4 and a kind word than with just a kind word." (Marcus, B5)

Posted by aquariaqueen on 04-24-06 at 09:45 AM
>It didn’t
>completely work, because the dress
>kept riding up and bunching,
>not unlike the cheap Roman
>shades Laura always makes on
>Trading Spaces.

Oh my goodness, that was perfect!!!

Your choice of words are wonderful.

Posted by Breezy on 04-24-06 at 11:06 AM
yay!!!! Great job! Loved it all.

Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

Posted by priestdi on 04-24-06 at 12:11 PM
love it as always.

but ... thanks so much for the p.s. about katharine. I didn't know any of that. and it WILL change the way I see her.

see, you're serving the higher good. lol.

Posted by Hoobie on 04-24-06 at 01:09 PM
Thank you for this week's installment. Brilliant, as usual~

Posted by khern on 04-24-06 at 01:58 PM
Hilarious as usual. You rule.

Posted by TanNymph on 04-24-06 at 03:25 PM
Who wears an ascot!?!

Fred from Scooby Doo

Enjoyed your comments as usual!

Posted by Glow on 04-24-06 at 03:29 PM
Love the Kat note. How very endearing.

an arkie work of art

Posted by emydi on 04-24-06 at 04:24 PM
As soon as I saw Chris in the ascot--after saying WTF! to myslef--I said Uh oh Larry will rank him low bc of it!!

Didn't Fred wear a kerchief?

Posted by irishrose on 04-24-06 at 06:52 PM
Another great GIJ. Thanks for the info on Kat. I have always liked her and never seen why people dislike her. Spot on all of the others. But Chris is still hot.

Posted by strid333 on 04-24-06 at 11:54 PM
Wow! I love the Journals!

Three is the perfect number.

Posted by Lasann on 04-25-06 at 11:09 AM
Spot on. I remember Paris' suit as the awful thing it was. Way too tight.

I may send you two pic of me to pick the best outfit for my next shindig.

Flowers courtesy of my yard.

Posted by CattyChat on 04-25-06 at 05:36 PM
Superbly written!! You should have a column in People magazine or something.

I also think it's wonderful what you wrote about Katharine. I never believed any of those negative things people were saying about her, she seems sweet as well as beautiful (but I also don't believe the negative snarks about Kellie either . . . I've always been the optimist & base my judgments on personal knowledge or very reliable info.) I'm glad you made some people see Katharine through a different lens. Keep up the great work!!!

Kind Creation of ARNutz

Posted by Fishercat on 04-26-06 at 04:07 PM
I'm glad to see the comments on Katharine, and you did a great job...

"Where in the world is Larry?"
Posted by tenmeters on 04-30-06 at 09:32 PM
You are slipping again Larry.
We need you here.

Posted by Lasann on 05-03-06 at 03:52 PM
*clears throat*

I'd never read these until this year when you returned. Now I'm needing my fix.

Where oh where are you. You are now two, count them, two shows behind.

I miss my gay idol journal!

Heaven on Earth! That’s me lying on the beach *giggle*

Posted by TODDLJ on 05-03-06 at 04:28 PM
Sorry, all, I was on vacation with my new BF. I'm two shows behind in viewing too, but I'm back in town now. I'll try to catch up this weekend.

Posted by Magnolia_Rocker on 05-03-06 at 04:31 PM
Woohoo! Welcome back Larry.

Siggy thanks to Syren!

Posted by nailbone on 05-03-06 at 05:04 PM
And congrats on the new BF.

Sig by Arkie!!

Holey carp! My blog! MySpace!
Official OT Tassel Adjuster o-

"Wait a minute...."
Posted by emydi on 05-03-06 at 05:10 PM
Ace left 2 weeks ago....

Did his brother come along too?

"Larry you missed the wardrobe malfunction!!"
Posted by niteowl on 05-03-06 at 11:50 PM
We don't care if you write about old shows. Watch a tape, please we want to hear your comments on the last two great weeks of wardrobe craziness!!

Posted by priestdi on 05-04-06 at 00:42 AM
well now, that's a fantastic excuse, I'm so pleased for you!

and yeah, I agree, I don't mind a delayed reaction.

will the BF watch tapes with you? crank them up ...

Posted by TODDLJ on 05-04-06 at 01:36 AM
Thanks for the support, all.

I have yet to share my AI musings with the new guy, we'll see how he reacts!

(And no, it's not Ace... or his brother.. though I can't say I'd turn either of them down if they called!)

I'll have something for you all this weekend.

-Larry