The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
Click here to Search the Forum
Search
Click here to goback to the previous page
Go back
Click here to goto the Lobby
Lobby
Compose your message

Original Message
"Wonderful!"
Posted by Karchita on 08-29-12 at 01:25 AM
This was great! We both liked the taste a lot and it looked sensational coming out of the oven. DH called it pizza, which it nearly is. He had trouble with the concept of a savory tart. *eye roll*

I simplified it a bit and it went together pretty quickly. I was going to serve it with some soup, but in the end skipped it and didn’t need anything more. I mounded on the vegetables and the two of us ate 2/3 of it for dinner and we’ll probably both have it for lunch tomorrow.

These are the changes I made:

Crust: I didn’t make an edge or use the egg. I just rolled it out to be just slightly smaller than my half sheet pan and left it flat. I didn't put the toppings all the way to the edge of the crust and it puffed (funny how puff pastry does that!) and made an edge on its own. I greased the pan without any sticking issues and I don’t see how parchment paper would be necessary.

Cheese: I used 8 ounces of low fat cream cheese straight out of the package. It was slightly warm from sitting next to the stove and was bit tricky to spread, but it worked. One less bowl to wash! It might be impossible to spread only 4 ounces of cream cheese thinly enough, however. I didn’t have any pesto, but I do have about a bushel of basil, so I just smeared some very finely chopped garlic on top of the cream cheese and sprinkled fresh chopped basil and parmesan on top of everything at the end, when I took it out of the oven.

Veggies: I used way more than three cups – a fairly large zucchini (salted for 15 minutes to draw out some of the water), a cup or more of sliced button mushrooms, a bunch of red onion, and a half of a large red pepper. The total was probably more like 6 cups or maybe more. I just poured the olive oil on the pan, dumped the veggies on it and tossed right in the pan. Saved another bowl! I also didn’t drain them on paper towels, but I used a slotted spatula to transfer from the roasting pan to the top of the pastry and left most of the juice behind.

Process: I prepped the veggies first and while they were in the oven I worked on the pastry. It was ready by the time the veggies were done roasting. So I didn’t have to put the pastry in the fridge or worry about drying out without the egg on it.

This one is a keeper! I could totally see serving it as an appetizer, cut into small squares. Thanks for sharing, Wellie!

• HTML Tags Enabled - use [] instead of <>. Need help? Check HTML Reference
  • Image Links Enabled - just type the URL (e.g., http://www.dcscripts.com/image.gif)
  • Emotion Icons Emotion icon short cuts
  • Your Message
    Name*:
    Subject*:
    Message*:

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
    about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •