The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
Click here to Search the Forum
Search
Click here to goback to the previous page
Go back
Click here to goto the Lobby
Lobby
Compose your message

Original Message
"OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MANGO SALAD"
Posted by qwertypie on 05-10-10 at 06:24 PM
I just couldn't resist adding this recipe, as I thought it went great with Weltek's jerk chicken/pork recipe (even though it is 'Thai' inspired) and helped me use up some of the extra ingredients (ie the haberno pepper) I didn't completely use.

The nice thing about this salad is that it uses underripe mangos and since the beauties have to travel a LOOOOOONG way to get up this far north, we usually only have the unripe ones in the supermarket.

Ingredients:
4-6 firm, green (underripe) mangos, any variety (they don't have to be super unripe, but you want them to be easily julienneable)
1/4 - 1/2 cup fine julienne of red pepper
1/4 - 1/2 cup fine julienne of carrot
1/4 cup finely sliced wedges of red onion
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mint
1 TBSP soy sauce *
2 TBSP water *
2-3 TBSP freshly squeezed lime juice
1-2 tsp sugar
1 small hot green chili, seeds and veins removed, finely chopped***
peanuts (optional)

Serves 6
1. With a sharp knife, take a small slice off the stem ends of the mago. Peel.
2. Carefully cut off several 1/4 ince slices from the fleshy sides of each mango. Cut the flesh of the fruit into a fine julienne. You should have 3-4 cups of fruit.
3. Toss mango with red pepper, carrot, onion, cilantro and mint.
4. In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients except peanuts. Stir well to dissolve sugar. (The amount of sugar and lime juice required will depend on the type and ripeness of the mango. You can add additional sugar and lime to taste). Toss the mango mixture with dressing. Refrigerate.

*The recipe originally called for 3 TBSP of fish sauce, but I subbed 1 TBSP soy sauce and 2 TBSP of water instead.
*** I had some left over haberno peppers from Welteks recipe, I only used about 1/5 of one, finely minced. It gave heat, but wasn't painful. Proceed with caution!!!! And wear gloves when mincing.

Picture to follow.

• HTML Tags Enabled - use [] instead of <>. Need help? Check HTML Reference
  • Image Links Enabled - just type the URL (e.g., http://www.dcscripts.com/image.gif)
  • Emotion Icons Emotion icon short cuts
  • Your Message
    Name*:
    Subject*:
    Message*:

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
    about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •