The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
Click here to Search the Forum
Search
Click here to goback to the previous page
Go back
Click here to goto the Lobby
Lobby
Compose your message

Original Message
"RE: OTCC - Braised Short Ribs"
Posted by frodis on 01-02-10 at 12:14 PM
I decided to make this for New Year's Eve, because we were supposed to have company, and then the company canceled while it was in the oven. So, Mr. Fro and I gave it a taste test, and then put it in the fridge and warmed it up again the next day. It kept very well and might have been even tastier the next day.

On to the photos!

I didn't have sun dried tomatoes so I used a couple of scoops of tomato paste instead. I used half red onion and half yellow onion, because I wanted to use up the red onion. I also added mushrooms (again, wanted to use them up before they went slimey.)

I also decided to make this in a roasting pan instead of my stainless steel pot, since I was making the full recipe and I was fairly certain, just looking at the ingredients, that it would not fit in my 6qt pot.

Everything all chopped up, and the meat floured. I really enjoy chopping. I'd enjoy being a vegetable-chopping sous chef:

I bought just under 6 pounds of short ribs, and that worked out to be 16 pieces of meat, so I browned them in three batches. I always get so impatient with the meat-browning step of any recipe and I'm always tempted to overcrowd the pan, but I was very good this time. I'd make a very bad meat-browning sous chef.

Like Tkit, I did not wipe out the pan after browning the meat, either. I just put in a little more oil and put in all of the veggies. I transferred the ribs right to the roasting pan, and after adding the veggies to the pot I started to wonder whether everything would fit in the roasting pan. You tell me:

Apparently I do not have a cooking pot or apparatus that is larger than 6qt. (Well, I have a 20 qt giant stock pot but that wouldn't do for this.) I have always kind of wanted a Le Cruset larger enameled roaster but now I believe I NEED one.

So, I decided to split the ribs and veggies into two batches, one in the roasting pan and one in the pot. I adjusted the shelves in my oven and put both in.

It smells SO good while it's cooking. It made the house smell amazing.

After cooking, I decided to use the immersion blender in the stock pot, and to leave the veggies in the roasting pan whole. The best of both worlds. I did add the balsamic to the pot that I blended, and I really think it was necessary to brighten up the flavor of the gravy.

Here's the taster bowl than Mr. Fro and I sampled. It was so delicious that I popped a take-n-bake baguette into the oven and we ate that, using it to sop up the gravy.

When company came yesterday, I served it with mashed potatoes. The potatoes were so yummy with the gravy.

My husband raved about this meal. He's not a big "stew" guy but he wants me to be sure to make this again. It is rich, hearty winter fare.

Since the gravy was just blended veggies and broth, I scooped some into a bowl with some of the chunky veggies and fed it to my son. He ate THREE bowls. My daughter also enjoyed it, and since the meat was so tender it was no problem to let her eat it.

Thanks, CTgirl! This was delicious!

• HTML Tags Enabled - use [] instead of <>. Need help? Check HTML Reference
  • Image Links Enabled - just type the URL (e.g., http://www.dcscripts.com/image.gif)
  • Emotion Icons Emotion icon short cuts
  • Your Message
    Name*:
    Subject*:
    Message*:

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
    about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •