The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Top 18 - Rank 'em!"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences So You Think You Can Dance Forum (Protected)
Original message

frodis 4442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

06-18-09, 00:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail frodis Click to send private message to frodis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Top 18 - Rank 'em!"
It's week two - what did you think of our top 18 dancers? Here they are, in the order in which they performed. I've listed the style of dance and song as well (taken from Snidget's seg caps in the ECST):

Randi and Evan: Jive (Shake a Tail Feather)

Melissa and Ade: Jazz (24 Hours)

Caitlin and Jason: Hip Hop (Missin You)

Janette and Brandon: Disco (Loving Is Really My Game)

Asuka and Vitolio: Waltz (Dreams Are More Precious)

Kayla and Max: Pop Jazz (Hot Like Wow)

Karla and Jonathan: Contemporary (Falling Slowly)

Jeanine and Phillip: Tango (Violento)

Ashley and Kupono: Hip Hop (Imma Be)

Have at 'em!

Tribe got my groove back

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Top 18 - Rank 'em! emydi 06-18-09 1
 RE: Top 18 - Rank 'em! DoodleBug 06-18-09 2
 RE: Top 18 - Rank 'em! djandy 06-18-09 3
   RE: Top 18 - Rank 'em! djandy 06-18-09 8
 RE: Top 18 - Rank 'em! SilverStar 06-18-09 4
 RE: Top 18 - Rank 'em! iatovttotx78 06-18-09 5
 RE: Top 18 - Rank 'em! aethelstan 06-18-09 6
 RE: Top 18 - Rank 'em! citywitch 06-18-09 7
 RE: Top 18 - Rank 'em! frodis 06-18-09 9
 RE: Top 18 - Rank 'em! Belle Book 06-18-09 10
 Summary aethelstan 06-19-09 11

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-18-09, 10:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Top 18 - Rank 'em!"
1. Vituka-OMH This was amazing. Esp. Asuka spinning around etc. Vitolio finally showed his stuff. I think it's only a 1 week reprieve though bc of the pimping of the other contestants. I like these new choreo

2. Adissa-Ade is very good and Melissa looked Fierce! Nigel was spot on when he said she equalled him in everything. When Cat said she wanted to do a 3 way (chest bump) I immediately thought of Bullzy and byoffer.hmmmmm...

3. Brandetter-I really liked this disco routine. He is kind a cheesy but very strong. A few missteps but great otherwise

4. Evandi-I liked this more than the judges did. They are such dorks and I love them

5. Maksla-this was good but not as good as the judges thought I love BFree! This pimping of Kayla is arleady bothersome

6. Karlathan-Ok, liked the new choreo from Canada. But dancing wasn't as good as Adissa last week and did not get the judge's overwhelming love of this..

7. Jean Phillippe- oh qpie, I said she must be screaming!! But he did try and did better than I thought. She was okay

8. Kupoley-oh my this was not good. It was a great idea but Kupo was not on and they both didn't hit the moves. I really don't like Ashley for some reason

9. Jalin-oh my again. Poor Shane they did not do him justice yday. Lil C was right, not together at all

Poppin' with tribey

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

DoodleBug 5133 desperate attention whore postings

06-18-09, 10:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail DoodleBug Click to send private message to DoodleBug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Top 18 - Rank 'em!"
LAST EDITED ON 06-18-09 AT 10:51 AM (EST)

Melissa/Ade - this was my favorite of the night. Not quite as good as "the garden" from last year, but I still loved it.

Asuka/Vitolio - I was crying at the start. Gorgeous routine and they had such emotion on their faces that drew me in. I was riveted and very surprised. I still think there are other dancers better than them though.

Janette/Brandon - Wow. I'm liking Brandon more and more each time I see him. I wish he had a different partner though. She's good, but I want to see him with someone else.

Kayla/Max - I love Kayla and that's why they are here. She should be paired with Brandon. They would tear up the STAGE if they were together. And I think Janette and Max would be a better pair (probably because they are both Latin dancers). I'm not a fan of Max (and I don't think the Kevin Spacey comment from Nigel was very flattering).

Karla/Jonathan - very surprised by this one too! I loved the lifts and the ending was awesome. Now I want to see Karla do hip-hop. I'm still not sold on Jonathan (what a cutie though), but he was SO much better tonight.

Randi/Evan - I think they should go here. Evan could have been sharper. They are matched well together.

Caitlin/Jason: - the two hip-hop dances just weren't doing it for me tonight. I think these two were better than Ash-Pono and that's not saying much - I want to see them smoke the floor with a nice contemporary. I hope they aren't in the bottom 3.

Ashley/Kupono - didn't like this one at all. Ashley was better than Pono. They could be in trouble, darn it.

Jeanine/Phillip: no, no, no.... nice try though. I think Phillip needs a new partner. If they are in the bottom three, Jeanine could be gone. But doubt they'll end up there.

Tribe made me wave

djandy 1711 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

06-18-09, 11:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail djandy Click to send private message to djandy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Top 18 - Rank 'em!"
LAST EDITED ON 06-18-09 AT 11:07 AM (EST)

Last week was much better because most of the couples had at least one partner in their own style. This week it wasn't as good because very few were in their own style.

1.) Asuka & Vitolio - very beautiful and flowing.
2.) Karla & Jonathan - Not as good as Contemps. in the past like Randi & Evan last week (or did they call it Jazz?) and Lacey & Cam, but still a nice routine.
3.) Janette & Brandon - One of the few Disco routines I've ever enjoyed. (The best I've ever seen is the one on SYTYCD Canada with the blonde girl who came in 4th and the winner).
4.) Randi & Evan - They're so cute it made up for their lack of technique.
5.) Melissa & Ade - I still saw the ballerina moves in there, but she can't help her great technique.
6.) Kayla & Max - Reminded me of Thayne & Chelsea's routine from last year (which is not a good comparison to have).
7.) Jeanine & Phillip - I don't think they did that bad, but the comparison to the world champions the week before hurt them.
8.) Caitlin & Jason - Both of Shane's HH routines were bad.
9.) Ashley & Kupono - Although this one was worse.

djandy 1711 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

06-18-09, 04:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail djandy Click to send private message to djandy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Top 18 - Rank 'em!"
Here's the youtube link for Natalli & Nico's (couldn't remember their names) Disco on SYTYCD Canada:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y4cB-mL0c0&feature=related

I really enjoyed Melissa Williams as a choreographer on SYTYCD Canada.

SilverStar 6205 desperate attention whore postings

06-18-09, 12:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SilverStar Click to send private message to SilverStar Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Top 18 - Rank 'em!"
I have to say that I didn't love any of the routines tonight. I'm still waiting for one to blow me away. Last week's Wade piece came close, but... I don't know. I still don't have any favorite dancers.

1. Randi/Evan-- Say it with me... it was FUN! This is the only dance of the night that got a smile or any emotion from me so I'm putting it at #1 even though I agree that Evan wasn't great. But that leap he did over Randi while she was bent backwards made me gasp!

2. Jonathan/Karla-- Upon first watch I didn't like this and I thought that Jonathan just did a lot of standing around, but I like it more each time I see it. The fact that I even bothered to watch it more than once tells me that I must have liked it more than I thought I did.

3. Maks/Kayla-- Maks did a good job for a ballroom dancer. I think he pulled it off. Kayla was good also. I wish I liked these 2 more than I do.

4. Melissa/Ade-- It was good. Eh. That's all I really have to say about this one.

5. Brandon/Janette-- I give them credit for keeping up the energy and pulling all the moves off (despite the stumble) but I just don't generally enjoy the disco routines on this show. This was probably one of the best, but it still didn't excite me.

6. Ashley/Kupono-- It was alright. I think they both danced well. *shrug* It was a middle of the pack performance for me. Not great, but not bad either.

7. Phillip/Jeanine-- I was actually suprised that Phillip did so well with this. I was expecting a trainwreck, and I... kind of liked it. Jeanine was great.

8. Asuka/Vitolio-- Asuka was very lovely, but I felt like Vitolio got a pass because of his backstory. His dancing was not good, not graceful. I didn't like it.

9. Jason/Caitlin-- As I said last week, I like the harder hip hop routines better so I was already not digging this and the dancing didn't help any. Caitlin was especially bad.

Flashy moves by Tribe!

iatovttotx78 2645 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

06-18-09, 12:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail iatovttotx78 Click to send private message to iatovttotx78 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Top 18 - Rank 'em!"

1. Melissa & Ade
2. Kayla & Max
3. Janette & Brandon
4. Vitolio & Oscar
5. Karla & Jonathan
6. Randi & Evan
7. Caitlin & Jason
8. Ashley & Kupono
9. Jeanine & Philip

A Tribephyl routine

aethelstan 4348 desperate attention whore postings

06-18-09, 01:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail aethelstan Click to send private message to aethelstan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Top 18 - Rank 'em!"
LAST EDITED ON 06-18-09 AT 01:28 PM (EST)

Overall impressions: none jumped out at me as outstanding but some were certainly sub par. Whereas the word of the year last year may have been "untrained", the word this year is "technique". The judges did a better job of giving real critiques this time.

I thought that some of the secrets were fairly bizarre. Many of them, rather than bringing me closer to the contestants made me think: Freak! (the velociraptor? keeping your hangers evenly spaced? putting your dog on speakerphone? etc.) I wondered if there was an agenda here. Turn us off from certain contestants?

On to the dances:

The top two are about the same for me.

1. ER (Evandi). Another fun piece with a high entertainment factor. Another couple that have fun (ding) together. I liked this. I didn't notice retractions, etc. but I did notice that both can kick over their heads and the jump was quite Wow!. Does anyone else think that Randi looks a bit like Roxy Hart from Chicago?

2. BJ (Brandette) I thought Brandon killed this routine. His jumps/tricks were great. There was a lot of good energy in this number and the pair have fun together.

3. Vituka. I thought Asuka looked beautiful in that dress. I enjoyed this dance but worry that since it's a waltz, it won't garner a lot of votes.

4. AM/Made A good routine. I think it is important for Melissa's long term hopes to show such a different side of her.

5. Karlathan. This was good. I think Karla showed more expression than Johnathan but it was a good routine. It may save them from the bottom 3.

6. K&M (Maksia). I just didn't get this routine, I guess. I thought Max was good and I kept looking at him instead of her so I'm not getting the Kayla love right now. But she definitely is getting a TCO edit. Having looked at it again, I have to say that to me it reminded me of Vituka's routine from last week: technically great but left me feeling like it was missing something.

(the bottom three are about the same for me)

7. Jalin. In the beginning of this routine, just as they start the first synchonized part, they were stealing looks at each other and flirting with their eyes. I thought that was the connection they needed throughout the whole piece.

8. Kupley. I thought Ashley did considerably better than Kupono here but the routine was like meh. There was far too much dead time where nothing really was happening.

9. PJ (Philline). I thought Jeanine did fairly well. She reminded me of a recent Bond girl. Phillip just didn't see into the dance. I agree with Li'l C, lack of confidence showed. I noticed his locking right at the end and I thought it looked appropriate. It would be nice to see a couple of fusion dances where popping and locking are integrated right into a Latin dance.

Edited to add: It looks like Tony put Phillips hand in for the grope! And then, they dropped that lift.

Oh and one final note. While Stacy Tookey is good, Sean Cheeseman who did the African Jazz numbers and Melissa Williams were also good choreographers.

citywitch 250 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

06-18-09, 03:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail citywitch Click to send private message to citywitch Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Top 18 - Rank 'em!"
Ok, I'm going to rank for entertainment value as opposed to technical expertise (which I'd have to take the judges word for anyway) because I have to keep reminding myself this is a competition for "favorite" dancer, not "best" dancer:

1) Asuka/Vitolio: loved the choreography, love that LvA got it that it couldn't be a "romantic" waltz - soooo moving. Yep, I cried.

2) Janette/Brandon: I loved this number! I usually think disco is the kiss of death second only to the quick-step, but this was non-stop entertainment.

3) Kayla/Max: I also love BFree, altho I have much stronger memories of him as a judge on Season 2, think he choreographed on Season 1? Loved the number, found the costumes distracting.

4) Randi/Evan: cute

5) Melissa/Ade

6) Jeanine/Phillip

7) Karla/Jonathan

8) Caitlin/Jason

9) Ashley/Kupono

8 & 9 are really interchangeable - Shanes routines were just meh tonight, I think it wasn't only the dancers faults.

frodis 4442 desperate attention whore postings

06-18-09, 05:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frodis Click to send private message to frodis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Top 18 - Rank 'em!"
1. Melissa and Ade: Jazz (24 Hours) I think I'm one of the only people who didn't adore them last week, but I thought they were great this week.

2. Asuka and Vitolio: Waltz (Dreams Are More Precious) I'm not really feelin' this couple - there's something about her that doesn't sit right with me, but I have to give credit where it is due - this was very nice.

3. Kayla and Max: Pop Jazz (Hot Like Wow) They're really fun. I was expecting this to be not-so-good from Max but it was good.

4. Randi and Evan: Jive (Shake a Tail Feather) I enjoyed this. Yes, it was fun. They really put a lot of effort into it and it showed. Neither one of them was perfect, but it was fun to watch.

5. Karla and Jonathan: Contemporary (Falling Slowly) I liked this better than I thought I would.

6. Janette and Brandon: Disco (Loving Is Really My Game) They gave it a really good effort, which I appreciate, but I found myself wanting this dance to end much sooner than it did.

7. Caitlin and Jason: Hip Hop (Missin You) I didn't think this was bad, but I also didn't think it was great, so #7 it is.

8. Jeanine and Phillip: Tango (Violento) They did what they could with what they had to work with. It deserves to be low on the list, but I still like them

9. Ashley and Kupono: Hip Hop (Imma Be) I could say the exact same thing I said for Jeanine and Phillip. I love them and I don't want them to go.

Tribe got my groove back

Belle Book 3556 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

06-18-09, 08:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Belle%20Book Click to send private message to Belle%20Book Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Top 18 - Rank 'em!"
1st: Asuka & Vitolio. Such a beautiful and dreamy routine! Welcome back to the top of the ranks, Asuka!

2nd: Janette & Brandon. One of the best disco routines I've seen. Perhaps the best since Sara & Neil. Fine job!

3rd: Karla & Jonathan. Another fine comeback after an iffy samba last week. You're safe.

4th: Randi & Evan. Not bad, but not great either. You're in some danger since you performed first.

5th: Melissa & Ade. Very good, but a little quirky for me. You might be in danger as well.

6th: Kayla & Maks. Sorry, judges, but I couldn't really get into the routine, largely because of Kayla's costume!

7th: Ashley & Kupono. Okay routine, but despite performing last, it'll be forgettable. Start practicing your solos.

8th: Caitlin & Jason. I don't know if Shane's choreography was bad or if it was just you guys. Still, practice your solos.

9th: Jeanine & Philip. You were so uncomfortable, Philip! This ruined the tango. Still, your fan base will keep you safe.

aethelstan 4348 desperate attention whore postings

06-19-09, 09:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail aethelstan Click to send private message to aethelstan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "Summary"
LAST EDITED ON 06-19-09 AT 09:25 AM (EST)

Last week, we collectively correctly picked out the bottom 3. This week, not quite. But each of us recognized that Philip's fan base had a chance of keeping him safe.

Based on 9 entries (bold indicates bottom 3):

Rank - Name - Average Score - Lowest Rank - Highest Rank
1. Asuka & Vitolio 2.56 8 1
2. Melissa & Ade 3.11 5 1
3. Janette & Brandon 3.22 6 2
4. Randi & Evan 3.78 6 1
5. Kalya & Maksim 4.22 6 2
6. Karla & Jonathan 4.44 7 2

7. Caitlin & Jason 7.78 9 7
8. Jeanine & Philip 7.89 9 6
9. Ashley & Kupono 8.00 9 6

It's really the tale of two groups. A group which at least one person had first or second and a group which at least one person had dead last.

Bounced by IceCat!
ETF tags

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •