The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Quarterfinals 2012 Thread"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences America's Got Talent Forum (Protected)
Original message

dabo 25344 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

07-03-12, 09:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Quarterfinals 2012 Thread"
Oops, should have got this thread started earlier, my bad. The thread for all things quarterfinals this season, despite the name there will be five or six or seven of these broken into two parts each week. Let's rock and roll.
  Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 QF #1 7/2/12 dabo 07-03-12 1
   Results dabo 07-04-12 2
       RE: Results susang 07-05-12 3
           RE: Results dabo 07-05-12 4
       RE: Results Max Headroom 07-06-12 5
 schedule dabo 07-08-12 6
 RE: Quarterfinals 2012 Thread dabo 07-09-12 7
 QF #2 7/10/12 dabo 07-11-12 8
   RE: QF #2 7/10/12 frankz 07-11-12 9
       Results dabo 07-12-12 10
           RE: Results susang 07-12-12 11
           RE: Results frankz 07-13-12 13
               RE: Results dabo 07-13-12 14
 RE: Quarterfinals 2012 Thread dabo 07-13-12 12
 QF #3 7/17/12 dabo 07-18-12 15
   Results dabo 07-19-12 16
       RE: Results susang 07-19-12 17
 RE: Quarterfinals 2012 Thread dabo 07-20-12 18
 QF #4 7/23/12 dabo 07-30-12 19
   RE: QF #4 7/23/12 dabo 07-31-12 20
       RE: QF #4 7/23/12 susang 07-31-12 21
 QF #5 8/14/12 youtubeshow dabo 08-15-12 22
   RE: QF #5 8/14/12 youtubeshow susang 08-15-12 23
   Results dabo 08-16-12 24
 Wildcards revealed dabo 08-16-12 25
 QF #6 8/21/12 Wildcards dabo 08-22-12 26
   RE: QF #6 8/21/12 Wildcards susang 08-22-12 27
   RE: QF #6 8/21/12 Wildcards frankz 08-22-12 28
       RE: QF #6 8/21/12 Wildcards dabo 08-22-12 29
   Results dabo 08-23-12 30
       RE: Results frankz 08-23-12 31
           RE: Results dabo 08-23-12 32

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

07-03-12, 10:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "QF #1 7/2/12"
LAST EDITED ON 07-03-12 AT 12:02 PM (EST)

Owing to a thunderstorm hitting early in the evening, which brought with it some much needed rain, a lot of wind knocking down treelimbs, and a lot of relatively unneeded hail except it helped cool things down a few more degrees, I was much too busy with other things last night to watch TV. So I couldn't vote.

All things being whatever all things may be, when I finally got a chance to zip through the recording to watch the performances, it was a truly horrible show. The new stage is awful, too much tech getting in the way. The good news is that NBC has finally found a way to even the playing field for the visual acts. No, the directors and camera-critters haven't improved, if anything they've gotten worse. But the sound quality this year is the pits, tinney and obnoxious. And the audience just won't STFU, in fact the audience took over the whole show last night drowning out all the competition.

01. The Distinguished Men of Brass, band. Love these guys, they dressed up nice, gave a rousing D-Mo Brass performance. How good they actually played is anyone's guess but the audience was very fired up and very vocal throughout.

02. Edon, singer. Also played the piano, not that you could hear any of it. Seemed to do okay.

03. Jarrett & Raja, magician & musician. Cheesy flop.

04. Lil Starr, juvenile dancer. Great stage presence, unfortunately it was more tapping, though she did manage to shine a bit despite the glaring lights flashing and strobing and so on.

05. Todd Oliver and Irving and Lucy, ventriloquist and dogs. Silly but a bit amusing, for once the audience kept quiet enough for the mundane comedy to prove itself mundane.

06. American BMX Stunt Team. Didn't make any glaring big mistakes, just several little ones, nothing you can't see kids doing in the parks on any given summer day with their bikes.

07. Nikki Jensen, singer. Held back too much, so-so singing.

08. The Scott Brothers, dancers. More of the same sort of dancing from them but they stepped it up with a few new tricks that actually worked out.

09. Michael Nejad, musician. 3 X's! Has left the building. Flat performance, but good for him for finishing with the sweeper.

10. 787 Crew, dancers. At least they didn't make any big mistakes this time, otherwise we've seen it before.

11. Shanice & Maurice Hayes, singers. Great song choice from what I could hear, and she took it big enough in a few spots to get the audience to sit back a bit.

12. David Garibaldi and His CMYK's, speed painter with dance crew. Stepped it up a bit from before, seemed headed for a mundane fail but pulled it out in the end for a great finish.

13. Judge Howard. Thanks for telling me how I should vote, Mr. Ego. Too bad I couldn't get around to it in time. But he left out the audience which took over the whole show to ruin everything anyway. Well, everything the professional stage crew and idiot directors and cheap equipment hadn't ruined already.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

07-04-12, 01:19 AM (EST)
2. "Results"
First it should be noted that the lousy directors and the horrible stage and so on seem to work perfetly fine with professional guest acts on live results shows, so there is no excuse for how genuinely awful all those things add up to in live performance shows.

The three acts voted through by America this week:

08. The Scott Brothers, dancers
11. Shanice & Maurice Hayes, singers
12. David Garibaldi and His CMYK's, speed painter with dance crew.

Say good-bye to 787 Crew, American BMX Stunt Team, The Distinguished Men of Brass, Jarrett & Raja, Lil Starr, Michael Nejad, and Nikki Jensen.

The judges' decision came down to:

02. Edon
05. Todd Oliver and dogs

with Howie and then Howard putting Edon through, Sharon did not have to vote.

susang 429 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

07-05-12, 03:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail susang Click to send private message to susang Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Results"
Todd Oliver & Dogs: Hope this act returns as a Wild Card, with edgier jokes.

Scott Brothers: I like that this duo is retro and modern at the same time.

David Garibaldi & His CMYK's: Best performance in QF1. In a way, these action painters remind me of Season 4's Recycled Percussion.

07-05-12, 10:01 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Results"
LAST EDITED ON 07-06-12 AT 01:18 PM (EST)

Ah, Recycled Percussion. Wish they'd make another stab at winning AGT. This does seem to be the year for variety, though there are some stron singers and some really exceptional dancers.

Agree about Oliver, with better material who knows how well he could do. There's no reason he has to stick to the dog perspective stuff, something like dogs reading faux news could be hysterical. I'd pay to see that act. Maybe not in an arena, who wants to sit 120 yards away from a ventriloquist? But still it would be worth paying to see in the proper venue.

The Scott Brothers and Garibaldi and his color kids (I really should try to verify what the K stands for) were the best two acts this week, at least on TV. Glad for Sharice and Maurice.

eta: cyan, magenta, yellow, and key (black)

Max Headroom 10028 desperate attention whore postings

07-06-12, 07:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Results"
Something's wrong with this season. Every year the show turns into America's Got Singers, yet this time around I haven't seen any exceptional singers. Of the four acts moving through this round, Shanice is handicapped by the presence of her father and Edon's sound mix was so bad I couldn't hear his vocals. Definitely not memorable.

07-08-12, 11:08 AM (EST)
6. "schedule"
We seem to be back on the Tuesday/Wednesday schedule now.

The Top 48 acts should take us up until the Olympics break, after which there will be (in some order) the YouTubeSnapple quarterfinal and a wildcard quarterfinal to fill out the Top 24.

07-09-12, 02:34 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Quarterfinals 2012 Thread"
According to AGT News this week performing will be:

Aurora Light Painters, Light Painting Group

Ben Blaque, Crossbow Shooter

Big Barry, Singer

Danielle Stallings, Singer

Donovan & Rebecca, Acrobats

Hawley Magic, Magician

LCD - Lisa Clark Dancers, Dance Group

LionDanceMe, Lion Dance Acrobatic Group

The All Ways, Band

Tim Hockenberry, Singer and Pianist

Tom Cotter, Comedian

Turf, Dancer

07-11-12, 01:47 AM (EST)
8. "QF #2 7/10/12"
01. LionDanceMe, dance/martial arts team
I enjoyed this performance and they stepped it up with some new stunts, though in many ways it seemed like just another variation on what they've done before.

02. Turf, dancer/contonrtionist
I like that he is dancing again, though we've seen better from him, nothing really blew me away.

03. The All Ways, rock band
These guys are okay but tonight the singer just didn't cut it, horrible song choice.

04. Hawley Magic, magician
Neat trick. Not great, but neat.

05. Lisa Clark Dancers -- X by Howie
Bad stage, bad camera angles, bad director in the booth; impossible to judge the talent, thanks a lot, though it seemed like okay dancing.

06. Aurora Light Painters -- X by Howard
Disapponting performance after what we've seen from them previously.

07. Danielle Stallings, singer
Enjoyable performance, should have been better.

08. Big Barry, wannabe -- X by Howard, X by Sharon
Hit the road, Bar'.

09. Donovan & Rebecca, acrobats
Very impressive performance marred by bad cameras, bad director.

10. Tom Cotter, comedian
Good set, really had a few chuckles.

11. Ben Blaque, crossbow marksman
Decent performance, the slow blowout balloon really sold it.

12. Tim Hockenberry, singer
Designated frontrunner of the season did okay, not my flavor but America lvoes these kinda guys.

frankz 1210 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

07-11-12, 06:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frankz Click to send private message to frankz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: QF #2 7/10/12"
01. LionDanceMe, dance/martial arts team
I lost interest. Repetitious.

02. Turf, dancer/contortionist
I’ve had enough of him. Couldn’t watch it beyond 5 minutes.

03. The All Ways, rock band
Agree about the singer. The band was actually decent, but he was a low spot. Was he trying to move nonexistent hair out of his face the whole time?

04. Hawley Magic, magician
I liked it a lot but I’m partial to magicians.

05. Lisa Clark Dancers -- X by Howie
Didn’t work for me but then I’m impartial to dancers.

06. Aurora Light Painters -- X by Howard
What a mess. I expected so much more. I just didn’t get it. Even after the story was explained it hovered in ambiguity to me.

07. Danielle Stallings, singer
Not bad. Needs some time, not ready yet.

08. Big Barry, wannabe -- X by Howard, X by Sharon
Really?!?!?!?!? Have to agree with Howard, what a waste of space in the quarterfinals.

09. Donovan & Rebecca, acrobats
Loved it. I’d watch them for an hour. Their three performances so far show a great range for what could just be a one trick pony.

10. Tom Cotter, comedian
Some funny stuff. Mrs. Frank is impartial to stand-ups; she enjoyed it, so that’s a good enough endorsement for me. Plus the competition was weak.

11. Ben Blaque, crossbow marksman
Nice trick. The slowly deflating balloon was indeed a capper.

Agree again. Not my type but will probably get through.

So my final 4 in this round, two favorites, two by process of default.

Favorites:
Donovan & Rebecca
Hawley Magic

Slipped in:
Tom Cotter
Ben Blaque

Tim Hockenberry will probably replace one of them.

I never apologize. I’m sorry, but that’s just the way I am.

07-12-12, 00:26 AM (EST)
10. "Results"
LAST EDITED ON 07-12-12 AT 00:30 AM (EST)

Agree with you about Danielle. She is maturing, growing into her voice, she has the raw talent but needs time to develop. She should keep practicing, perform as much as possible, and perhaps get a professional voice coach to help her along. She maybe came to AGT a year or two too soon, but the experience of it all is what she should take from it.

The three acts voted through by America this week:

02. Turf, dancer/contortionist
10. Tom Cotter, comedian

Say good-bye to:

The All Ways, Aurora Light Painters, Ben Blaque, Big Barry, Hawley Magic, LionDanceMe, and LCD - Lisa Clark Dancers.

The judges choice came down to:

07. Danielle Stallings
09. Donovan & Rebecca

I was surprised, honestly, that Danielle placed that high, and Donovan & Rebecca placed that low (I thought they were they best act of the week, but hey good for me for placing multiple votes on them anyway).

Howard and Sharon split, one vote for D&R and one vote for Danielle, leaving it to (ug) Howie to cast the deciding vote. Fortunately, after much diseminating and playing out the clock, Howie chose to do the right thing and voted through the clearly best act of the week, Donovan & Rebecca.

07-12-12, 04:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail susang Click to send private message to susang Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Results"
I agree 100% that these acts are going on to the Semifinals (Turf, Tim Hockenberry, Tom Cotter, Donovan & Rebecca)

Biggest disaster in this round: Big Barry

My Wild Card pick from QF2: no one

07-13-12, 11:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail frankz Click to send private message to frankz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Results"
Well I got 2 out of 4, three if you count my Tim Hockenberry prediction. Not my favorite but I was pretty sure America would vote him through.

Turf has run out of tricks for me. Fun to watch for maybe 5 minutes. I just don’t get the adulation.

I wasn’t real surprised that Danielle made top 4/5, it was a pretty bad week. But I did expect Donovan & Rebecca to easily make it. I could watch them for an hour. They’ve shown variety in their 3 performances. Add some Vegas-style glitz and they have a show I’d go see.

07-13-12, 02:18 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Results"
I thought Hockenberry was better in his audition ("You Are So Beautiful") and Vegas ("Maybe I'm Amazed") than he was this week. He basically managed to make "Part of Me" seem like just another song he does that way, nothing special. He was safe this week no matter what he did, though.

07-13-12, 10:54 AM (EST)
12. "RE: Quarterfinals 2012 Thread"
According to AGT News the line-up for next week is:

All Beef Patty, singer/drag queen

All Wheel Sports, stunts/acrobatics

Cristin Sandu, balancing act

Elusive (Josh Vinyard), dancer

Inspire the Fire, glee group

Jacob Williams, comedian

Lightwire Theater, electroluminescent performance

Rock Star Juggler Mike Price, three guesses

Spencer Horsman, escape artist

The Untouchables, dance team

Wordspit the Illest!, band

07-18-12, 02:02 AM (EST)
15. "QF #3 7/17/12"
Mixed bag night on AGT.

01. The Untouchables, dance team. Lvoe these kids and they were great tonight. On the down side, they need to mix it up with variation. With the costumes and the style of dance they have been sticking with, it is all starting to seem the same old thing.

02. Rock Star Juggler Mike Price. He dropped one but they allowed him to finish anyway. It was either a poorly thought out set or a poorly performed set without the drop, take your pick, a disappointment.

03. Inspire the Fire, glee group. The singing was bad, the dancing was okay, the choreography was poor.

04. Cristin Sandu, balancing act. X by Howard. He fell and was unable to complete the performance, end of story.

05. Elusive (Josh Vinyard), dancer. I really enjoyed this performance and thought it well paced, impressive break dance; the cheesy lip sync was, well let's face it, cheesy.

06. Jake Wesley Rogers, singer. I thought it was a good interpretation of the song but the singing wasn't all that good. Or maybe it is just a bad song.

07. All Wheel Sports, stunt team. Sorry, Howie, I don't care how impressive it is live in the theater or whether it would be a great headliner in Vegas, I'm watching it on TV and it is a confusing mess. That said, they were a bit more focussed this time than before, it was still a mess, no thanks.

08. Wordspit and the Illest, band. Disaster. I applaud that they went with an original song, good for them. But if the musicians were playing what they were supposed to play, what a horrible song. It didn't really seem like a band, just a bunch of unconnected stuff. The rapping was incomprehensible. The singer seemed to be good but got drowned out by all the rest of the noise. Major disappointment.

09. Jacob Williams, comedian. The material needed some more work but it was an enjoyable routine.

10. All Beef Patty, singer/drag queen. I lvoed it! He went big and he went all in on the camp, and let's face it he was the best singer of the night. Howie was right, he does need to utilize the stage a bit more, but hey give him some props for going all in on the camp and a great song choice.

11. Spencer Horsman, escape artist. Disappointing ill-conceived illusion. Honestly, if you were in a steel straight-jacket and in danger of being impaled on a bunch of stupid pikes, wouldn't you want to stay in the steel straight-jacket. That said, I very much doubt the steel straight-jacket that fell on the pikes was the same (fake) steel straight-jacket he was locked into.

12. Light Wire Theater, electroluminescent puppetry. WOW! These folks really stepped it up with the bird theme and some phenomenal choreography. Can't wait to see what they do next.

07-19-12, 03:12 AM (EST)
16. "Results"
This week the top 3 acts, per America's votes, turned out to be:

09. Jacob Williams, comedian
12. Lightwire Theater, electrolumiscent puppetry
01. The Untouchables, dance troupe.

Say good-bye to All Beef Patty, Cristin Sandu, Elusive (Josh Vinyard), Inspire the Fire, Jake Wesley Rogers, Rock Star Juggler Mike Price, and Spencer Horsman./

Judge's choice came down to All Wheel Sports and Wordspit and the Illest. Both of whom made terrible TV this week but somehow ended up 4 and 5. Myself, I would have given it to Wordspit based on past performances, All Wheel has always been horrible. But even though Howard voted Wordspit, Howie and the Sharon voted though All Wheel. Ugh.

07-19-12, 04:00 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Results"
Lots of highs and lows this week.

Inspire The Fire, All Beef Patty (corny).

Mike Price, Cristin Sandu (tried but failed).

Jacob Williams: delightfully dorky.

My Wild Card pick from QF3: Jake Wesley Rogers. However, song choice is crucial.

07-20-12, 02:19 AM (EST)
18. "RE: Quarterfinals 2012 Thread"
First, I'll be on vacation next week in the land that wi-fi forgot, unable to do any updates. If anyone wants to step up and do the updates, go for it. If not, whatever, I'll get around to it eventually, but don't let that stop you from posting.

Second, after next week's shows there will be a two-week break for the Olympics, and then the youtube quarterfinal and the wildcard quarterfinal probably in that order.

Alright then. Next week seems to be a loaded week with a lot of stellar acts gunning for it, should be a great show. The 12 acts performing for the 4 spots will be (in whatever order):

All That!, dancers. All male clogging troupe from season 1, runners-up that season, but they face some fierce competition.

David "The Bullet" Smith, human cannonball. Very daring what he does. Impressive, but no room to go bigger.

Eric & Olivia, accompanist and singer. Or, basically, Olivia Applegate, singer, but she's a damn good singer with a unique vocal style.

Eric Dittelman, mind-reader. These guys don't usually impress me, this guy is one of those, but I've seen worse.

Horse, #####. Honestly, I hate this act, and I can see it on any random video clips show. Go away.

Lindsey Norton, dancer. Spectacular in her previous performances, possibly this season's sleeper winner.

Joe Castillo, sand and light artist. People just enjoy this stuff provided they get it. I expect to enjoy it.

Olate Dogs. Best animal act we've ever seen. Expect it to fail at some point, just don't know when.

Sebastian lalala el Charro de Oro, 10-year-old mariachi singer and band. The kid has incredible pipes.

William Close, musician. Don't know how he plans to top the earth harp, could be a spectacular fail or a big wow.

Ulysses, singer. He's good and fun but that's probably not enough to carry him to the next round.

Unity in Motion, dance crew. A high energy performance could get them through, if not I expect they will become a favorite for a wildcard return.

07-30-12, 12:11 PM (EST)
19. "QF #4 7/23/12"
Back from vacation, finally got a chance to break from Olympics coverage to watch the performances last week.

01. David "The Bullet" Smith, human cannonball. First, I think the performance was filmed before the start of the live show and see no reason why they needed to pretend otherwise, I don't mind if they did that. What he does is really impressive and death-defying, seen this sort of thing a few times in the past live. Liked how he dressed it up with the football theme and all, that was a good way to present it on television. Don't know how he can keep dressing up the same basic stunt, though. Farther, higher, smaller target, land in a tank of sharks?

02. All That! all-male clogging team. Good set, could have benefitted from a few more stunts, suffered from bad lighting at times and the cameramonkeys made it hard to follow.

03. Ulysses, singer. 3 X'es! Honestly, I don't know what the judges had a problem with, I thought it was a nice tribute to Dick Clark, the singing was good and he didn't stumble over the words at all (it is a semi-hard song, "Bandstand Boogie"). Didn't make good use of the piano and could have interacted a bit more with the dancers, but for all that it was still an enjoyable performance.

04. Joe Castillo, light and sand artist. Wonderful, magical performance marred by shifting camera shots making it hard to follow on TV.

05. Sebastien "el Charro del Oro", 10-year-old mariachi singer and mariachi band. Wonderful singing though not his best performance, though he did hit it big, and the band was wonderful. That said, "Besame Mucho" was a bad song choice, the kid doesn't really have the experience, the emotional cajones, for that one.

06. Eric Dittelman, mind reader. Very neat trick pulled off very well, his stage persona still needs honing.

07. William Close, musician. Gee whiz but the earth harp really is a magical magnificent instrument, and I loved the spinning drums, wonderful wonderful set, though the singer was more emotive than lyrical. My only complaint, really, is that with the backing band and the drummers and the stage dressing girls and the singer and all, the name of the act should be changed, William Close and the something or other.

08. Unity in Motion, all-female dance group. Excellent performance, just short of being a knockout, seemed like they were holding back a bit, and it certainly could have been tighter in a few places. Mainly they could have benefitted from a spectacular finish, which the set suffered from lacking.

09. Eric & Olivia, accompanist and singer. Love her singing though she seemed a bit off in spots tonight (nerves maybe) and didn't quite take the song where it could have gone. Don't really know what he brings to the act but at least he doesn't ruin it or get in her way.

10. Lindsey Norton, gymnastic dancer. Very impressive performance, love how her sparkling personality shines through; wish she'd taken it a bit bigger, could have benefitted from a bit faster tempo musical arrangement.

11. Horse, jackazz. At first I thought the superhero theme was a good idea but then these dumdums managed to make even a good idea seem like a bunch of children playing in the empty lot; it seems there is nothing they can do to overcome what a really dumb and worthless act it genuinely happens to be.

12. Olate Dogs, trained animal act. Great act, loved it! There was one minor glitch early, they recovered well and kept going, then the reluctant dog and the chase and the eventual butt-down slide, great innovative theater. I doubt it is possible for an animal act to win in America, but if it can be done this is the act that will do it.

07-31-12, 10:06 AM (EST)
20. "RE: QF #4 7/23/12"
LAST EDITED ON 07-31-12 AT 10:08 AM (EST)

Results

The three acts voted through by America were:

04. Joe Castillo, light and sand artist
07. William Close, musician
12. Olate Dogs, trained animal act.

The judges decision was between:

02. All That! all-male clogging team
06. Eric Dittelman, mind reader.

Sharon wanted All That! but was overruled by d'Hows who voted through Dittelman.

Say good-bye to All That!, David "The Bullet" Smith, Eric & Olivia, Lindsey Norton, Sebastien and the band, Ulysses, Unity in Motion, and ummmmm... oh yeah, Horse the Nut.

07-31-12, 04:52 PM (EST)
21. "RE: QF #4 7/23/12"
Joe Castillo: His environmental theme was beautiful

Ulysses: Felt sorry for him, getting 3Xs

Olate Dogs: Excellent canine athletes (and cute)

My Wild Card pick from QF4: Lindsey Norton

08-15-12, 00:40 AM (EST)
22. "QF #5 8/14/12 youtubeshow"
LAST EDITED ON 08-15-12 AT 00:42 AM (EST)

Overall a pretty mediocre night, not what I was expecting after the two-week Olympics break.

01. Clint Carvalho & His Extreme Parrots, animal act. Very neat stunt to kick off the show. You will believe a bird can fly! Well, you rarely see that in bird acts anyway.

02. Reverse Order, band. The band was soso, the singing wasn't quite up to soso, horrible song choice.

03. Rudy Coby, magician. X by Howard, X by Sharon. I thought it was an entertaining set, he has the showmanship, but the magic wasn't there.

04. 7 in Unison (Dance Precision), dance group. X by Howie. Looked like what they are, a high school dance team.

05. Drew Erwin, singer. Wasn't impressed, very nice kid but just another capable singer.

06. Melinda Hill, comedian. No one laughed. Shame, she's nice to look at, but no one laughed.

07. Eric Buss, novelty act. X by Howard, X by Sharon. Well, it was kind of amusing, but just another performance of his audition, seen it already.

08. Romeo Dance Cheetah (Matt Cornelison), air guitar. X by Howard, X by Howie. Well, I won't say air guitar isn't a talent, just that is something that should be incorporated into an actual talent, say acting or dancing or clowning. This dope wasn't at all entertaining to me, spent too much time air diddling his widdle diddle.

09. The Magic of Puck, magician. It was an entertaining routine, he kept going throughout, good for him; hope he makes it through.

10. Bria Kelly, singer. Female singer fans take heart, season 7 finally found its female singer! Nerves may have gotten to her in a few spots, could have (should have) been a bit better, but overall a solid performance.

11. Cast in Bronze (Frank Della Penna), travelling carillon. 3 Xes! Don't know if it was horrible song choice, the instrument needed tuning, the playing was just bad, but yeah, that was horrible. Shame, I was really hoping this one would blow me away.

12. Academy of Villains, dance group. Howie called them the best act of the night, considering what a mediocre night it was that's not saying much. Did like them though, except the opening bit, amusing as it was, went on too long and was not what the lead-in vid led me to expect.

08-15-12, 01:24 PM (EST)
23. "RE: QF #5 8/14/12 youtubeshow"
Bria Kelly: Best singer in this round.

Reverse Order: Like The All Ways (eliminated), this quartet chose the wrong song.

Melinda Hill: Initially, I was rooting for a female comedian. However, her material fell flat.

Cast In Bronze: Creme de la weird.

Academy of Villains: Bravo. It was good that they used two pieces of music, for the sake of variety.

08-16-12, 01:50 AM (EST)
24. "Results"
America has voted and the three acts voted on to the semis are:

09. The Magic of Puck, magician.
10. Bria Kelly, singer.
12. Academy of Villains, dance group.

Judges choice was between

01. Clint Carvalho & His Extreme Parrots, animal act.
05. Drew Erwin, singer.

Howard picked Clint, then Sharon picked Clint, Howie did not get to vote.

So longs to 7 in Unison, Cast in Bronze, Drew Erwin, Eric Buss, Melinda HIll, Reverse Order, Romeo Dance Cheetah, Rudy Coby.

Next week the final QF with the wildcard acts!

08-16-12, 12:51 PM (EST)
25. "Wildcards revealed"
Don't read if you don't want to know

Howard's Wildcards
Ben Blaque, crossbow marksman
Horse, stunt groin
Spencer Horsman, escape artist
Todd Oliver, ventriloquist with dogs

Howie's Wildcards
Andrew de Leon, singer
Cristin Sandu, balancing act
Jarrett & Raja, magician & musician
Sebastien "el Charro de Oro", mariachi singer and band

Sharon's Wildcards
All That! dance group
Bandbaz Brothers, acrobats
Jake Wesley Rogers, singer
Lindsey Norton, dancer

08-22-12, 09:27 AM (EST)
26. "QF #6 8/21/12 Wildcards"
A much better show this week than last week, well worth the watch.

01. Spencer Horsman, escape artist. Excellent trick to kick things off, back to the basics picking locks and well presented.

02. All That! clogging group. Ill-conceived routine, the silhouette thing was at first confusing and then just annoying, a disappointment. Good dancing but not quite in sync.

03. Jarrett & Raja, magician & musician. Standard trick well presented, well done, though the middle (take up some time) section was kind of boring.

04. Jake Wesley Rogers, singer. Good singing, not quite up to the song he chose to perform, and his lack of experience as an entertainer was obvious.

05. Cristin Sandu, balancing act. Another unfortunate fall, though it was very exciting what he did, and he got through enough of his act this time that America might actually vote him through anyway.

06. Todd Oliver, ventriloquist. Good comedic material, and he managed to go political (topical) without offending either the extremes of the left or the extremes of the right.

07. Bandbaz Brothers, acrobats. Fantastic trick, extremely dangerous, well performed and presented, good to see them back.

08. Sebastien "el Charro de Oro", singer with band. Very risky song choice, he managed to pull it off though at the start it seemed iffy.

09. Horse, sack masochist. I'll try to be fair even though I thoroughly don't enjoy this act, boring as can be; as dumb as it is, for those who enjoy this sort of thing at least this time it didn't seem like a bunch of grade-schoolers performing a silly skit, he finally made it to middle school.

10. Lindsey Norton, dancer. Poetry in motion. She picked up the pace this time, and it was more dance less gymnastics, loved it, wonderful performance.

11. Andrew de Leon, singer. Wonderful singing, iffy song choice, but at least this time he managed to not choke so good for him. Glad he got this one completed. But for me, even though he can get away with standing in one place and motioning with his arms and stuff, as with Jake his lack of experience as a performer was obvious. And the singing was very slightly off in a couple of places.

12. Ben Blaque, crossbow marksman. Incredibly well done stunt to finish things off, though the opening bit was disconnected from the rest of the act, and it took a long time (started to get bored) to get to the pay-off.

08-22-12, 01:21 PM (EST)
27. "RE: QF #6 8/21/12 Wildcards"
All told, one of the best Wild Card shows ever.

Todd Oliver: His material was edgier. My favorite act of the night.

Lindsey Norton: She's more interesting than the other solo dancer, Turf.

Andrew de Leon: He overcame a disastrous Vegas Week. However, I'd like to see someone other than a singer win Season 7.

08-22-12, 07:31 PM (EST)
28. "RE: QF #6 8/21/12 Wildcards"
First off, thanks again Dabo. Your diligence in keeping up with AGT is much appreciated. I have someone to talk to (ok, well maybe 3-4 people on a good week)

I agree, it was an entertaining show with some variety. Also seems like the performers listed to the judge’s advice last time and adjusted accordingly. Well except for Sebastien, more on that later.

01. Spencer Horsman, escape artist. Good trick but a tough night. Has more options then Ben Blaque (who was wonderful – later on him) so might get through.

02. All That! clogging group. Not my thing. I liked the silhouette thing, if for no other reason than to figure out what is was. As Howard said, I would have fast-forwarded through them but I wanted to see what the shadows were all about. Once I figured that out I FF through the end.

03. Jarrett & Raja, magician & musician. I think what would have made that trick better was to pretend to drop the box and it smashed to the floor. Everyone knew the piano would be gone but if they had “slipped” and dropped it that would have added an additional element of surprise. But yes, a standard trick well presented.

04. Jake Wesley Rogers, singer. Never liked him. Liked him less last night.

05. Cristin Sandu, balancing act. It was exciting but what else can he do? It’s a 3 minute show. But I was enthralled. Fall or not, I don’t see him going through. Too limited.

06. Todd Oliver, ventriloquist. I liked it, he listened to the judges. Might be interesting in a “R” setting. I keep thinking of Triumph The Insult Comic Dog.

07. Bandbaz Brothers, acrobats. Very dangerous and riveting. But they said that was their ace in the hole so what else do they have up their sleeve?

08. Sebastien "el Charro de Oro", singer with band. There is no doubt this kid is talented and he knows it, he owns the stage, at 10 years old. He will be a star but seems to be a very polite young man. That being said, there’s just something about him I don’t like (I’ve mentioned that before). Mrs. Frank loves him but she said about a minute into it, “That’s not what I paid for.” Sums it up. But he did pull it off.

09. Horse, sack masochist. What are you going to say?

10. Lindsey Norton, dancer. I always liked her. Reminds me of Baby Frank. I’d much rather see her then Turf. And I think she could do anything he could.

11. Andrew de Leon, singer. Fantastic. I love the story too. Total drama, perhaps orchestrated, but it still made me choke up at times.

12. Ben Blaque, crossbow marksman. Well keep in mind he was the last act, not the first. He had 5 minutes to set up the stage. I would imagine he has lasers or it’s a total trick but setting that up in 5 minutes as opposed to an hour or so if he was first act was the most impressive thing for me. Again what can he do next. As an aside, Stern was quite impressed with the assistants outfit.

So, I’ll take:

Andrew de Leon
Todd Oliver
Lindsey Norton
And in spots 4 and 5 (to hedge my bets)
Spencer Horsman
Ben Blaque

08-22-12, 09:25 PM (EST)
29. "RE: QF #6 8/21/12 Wildcards"
Always glad to hear from others. With a bit of research you can find out some amazing things about some of these acts.

I think I know what you mean about Sebastien. Unlike Jake and Andrew the kid has the benefit of years of training and performing, he and the band have been doing this for many years and won some mariachi competitions. So, at his age, it's a bit like watching a trained monkey, this is pretty much what he does when he's not in school; like the circus kids growing up training as acrobats or trapeze artists or so on, or the wannabe Olympians of gymnastics and figure skating.

Ben Blaque is also a stage magician, though he's stuck with the marksman act for the duration of the competition. I've no doubt the bell in last night's performance was just stage dressing and he was actually using some sort of sensor system when he fired that bolt blindfolded, if he was in fact unable to see. Like any magician his every move is well choreographed.

08-23-12, 00:36 AM (EST)
30. "Results"
LAST EDITED ON 08-23-12 AT 00:38 AM (EST)

Well, America voted, and unfortunately after the stellar show last night that meant we'd have to be saying good-bye to many worthy acts.

The top three acts voted through by America:

06. Todd Oliver, ventriloquist.
08. Sebastien "el Charro de Oro", singer with band.
11. Andrew de Leon, singer.

Thanks, America, that's two singers and one of the acts I voted for last night. I'm not tremendously surprised or anything, I expected that one of the singers would make it to the next round anyway.

Then the Judges choice came down to:

02. All That! clogging group.
10. Lindsey Norton, dancer.

Lindsey was my favorite act this week, the one I voted for the most. Then the judges made their picks, Howard voting All That!, Howie properly voting Lindsey, then Sharon forced to pick between two of her wild cards sided with Howard in making the wrong choice. Oh well, we say so long (again) to

Spencer Horsman (the other act I placed votes on), Jarrett & Raja, Jake Wesley Rogers, Cristin Sandu, Bandbaz Brothers, Lindsey Norton, Ben Blaque, and a kick in the rear to Horse.

(America at least got it right by not voting through Horse, but that was the most predictable thing that I knew would happen this week.)

08-23-12, 09:07 AM (EST)
31. "RE: Results"
I was quite disappointed that Lindsey didn’t make it. I was looking forward to a showdown between her and Turf. The judges blew that one. Unfortunately Howard’s show won’t be live until Monday (he only works Mon-Wed if he’s not off all week) so we’ll have to wait and see what his reasoning was.

08-23-12, 10:30 AM (EST)
32. "RE: Results"
Yes, let us know what was his reasoning? I suspect he knew Sharon would vote for All That! (we all knew that), Howie could either vote with him (sparing Sharon having to vote) or be on the losing side (knock him down a peg).

Since Sebastien is moving on to the semis here's a link to one of the articles I found about the kid, from when he was 8.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sacultura/conexion/article/Making-dreams-come-true-780840.php

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •