The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"What is with the super short skirts?? (spoiler info)"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Project Runway Forum (Protected)
Original message

mindy23 1319 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

01-22-10, 09:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mindy23 Click to send private message to mindy23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"What is with the super short skirts?? (spoiler info)"
Do women really go out dressed like that? Do these designers not realize that some of us have very short, petite legs that would look incredibly odd in a skirt up to our a$$es? As far as I'm concerned, so do the models, who have 60" legs! And I'm not just talking about Ping's fall-out-of-your-behind look.

I'm saying so many of those runway outfits were not even appropriate to SIT in. How do they do it? Why even bother with a skirt if you're only going to use a yard of material?

Believe me, I came from the generation that invented the mini-skirt, but this is beyond that. 4" from the waist line, a skirt does not make. Just MY humble opinion...

BTW, I thought the runner-up girl should have gotten the win, not Mia, but the other one. Hers looked the most like an original burlap that had been reformed. Sorry for the model who had to wear Ping's dress to the party-HA. Oh well...

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: What is with the super short sk... Snidget 01-22-10 1
   RE: What is with the super short sk... mindy23 01-22-10 2
 Let's see if these pics work jbug 01-22-10 3
   RE: Let's see if these pics work jbug 01-22-10 4
       RE: Let's see if these pics work Belle Book 01-22-10 8
   RE: Let's see if these pics work BlueIris 01-22-10 5
 Season 7, Episode 2 AyaK 01-22-10 6
   RE: Season 7, Episode 2 kidflash212 01-23-10 10
   RE: Season 7, Episode 2 arkiegrl 01-24-10 15
 RE: What is with the super short sk... Sunny_Bunny 01-22-10 7
   RE: What is with the super short sk... jbug 01-22-10 9
 RE: What is with the super short sk... DrKegel 01-23-10 11
   RE: What is with the super short sk... JessicaRN 01-23-10 12
       RE: What is with the super short sk... AyaK 01-23-10 13
   RE: What is with the super short sk... AyaK 01-23-10 14

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-22-10, 09:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: What is with the super short skirts?? (spoiler info)"
Runway outfits are often not in anyway intended to be wearable out in the real world. Often they are designed to show the concept that will then be used in a toned down manner in the ready to wear line that would be sold in a department store.

The point of runway is usually to be visually stunning and show the concepts behind that season's line, not be the actual clothes they actually expect women to buy to wear in everyday life.

Runway is a fantasy. Usually everything is exaggerated for visual effect.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

mindy23 1319 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

01-22-10, 11:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mindy23 Click to send private message to mindy23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: What is with the super short skirts?? (spoiler info)"
Did not know that. Thank you for realitizing me! New word for the day.. Glad to hear that, too. I suppose if you are a 20's-something, 6' model-esc-looking young woman, you'd be fine with those looks. But no thanks for me, or even my daughter, who is in her 30's and quite petite.

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings

01-22-10, 11:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "Let's see if these pics work"
Amy

Anna

Anthony

Ben

Emilio

Janeane

Jay

Jesse

Jesus

Jonathan

Maya

Mila

Pamela

Ping

Seth

01-22-10, 11:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Let's see if these pics work"
I'm still having a time putting the designer's faces with their names -
except of course crybaby Ping
and witch Mila

I think Amy & Jay's were the best 2. I didn't care for Mila's.

I can't believe they sent Pamela home before Ping - that burlap bag was a disaster! That was so unfair; I think they kept Ping because they liked what she made the first week (tho I can't understand why - I thought it looked like a bunch of fabric hanging on the model). I think the judges go back & forth between judging on the current week only - and taking previous weeks into account.
Jesus' should have been cut before Pamela. She did something interesting with the burlap; at least she didn't cover it up.

IMO - wrong one cut this week.

Belle Book 3556 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

01-22-10, 07:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Belle%20Book Click to send private message to Belle%20Book Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Let's see if these pics work"
Although Ping's outfit was a total disaster, she had been in the Top 3 last week so the judges probably gave her a pass. She also takes risks -- she just needs to take intelligent ones. This was not an intelligent one!

I thought Jesus should've gone home. He was in the Bottom 3 last week and Pamela wasn't. However, I've seen designers in previous sesaons who were in the Bottom 3 once before and stuck around (Vincent from Season 3, anyone?) I think what did Pamela in was the design itself. The judges called it too short and too tight -- and it was. I think they also said that it made the model look too large -- or was it just her rear end that looked too large? Anyway, Allison in Season 3 was cut because she made a similar error -- the stuff she used in the recycling challenge made her model look even larger than she already was (for models). I think the clincher was when they asked Pamela's model if she would be comfortable in the dress. Her hesitation said it all.

BlueIris 161 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

01-22-10, 02:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail BlueIris Click to send private message to BlueIris Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Let's see if these pics work"
LAST EDITED ON 01-22-10 AT 02:16 PM (EST)

jbug - Thanks for the pics.

Adorable Tim Gunn is out of his element, again. I enjoyed Lauren Hutton as a judge. She popped in to MOTR to give a little pep talk and get another look at her favorite dress (Amy's).

I thought Amy had the best dress and was going to win. Dying the edges of her fabric was a terrific way to add lots of interest without losing the look of burlap and she was able to satisfy her model with a backless dress. My other favorites were Emilio (too casual?) and Anthony.

My least favorites were: Maya (too too much going on there), Jesse (ugly pants), Pamela (nice job of dying the fabric, but trashy design). I’ll give pass to Ping this week, she’s going to need to make something amazing next time or I think she’ll be gone (unless she’s kept around for the crazy factor her amazing POV).

eta: How do these designers continue to make size 0 models look heavy?

AyaK 10083 desperate attention whore postings

01-22-10, 06:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "Season 7, Episode 2"
LAST EDITED ON 01-25-10 AT 04:32 PM (EST)

After a super-easy challenge, the show came back with a super-hard one: convert burlap sacks to a party dress for your model to wear to an industry party. Break out the dye!

I thought Amy's outfit was a certain winner. It showed flair and was also attention-getting in the right ways without trying to renounce its humble origins. I thought Jay's winning look was good, but I wouldn't have put it in the Top 3 over either Anthony (who surprised me, because his outfit in the super-easy first challenge was yeeech) or Anna Marie's surprisingly good "potato print" (which would have been great when Banana Republic was a sponsor -- it looks like their stuff). And then there were Mila and Janeane, who were at least as good as Jay. Jesse's "horsey-set chic" was also well-done, but perhaps not right for an industry party (OK, more than "perhaps"). Anyway, we may have some interesting clothes from this group, though I'm noit sure what was the judging criterion that gave Jay a fluky victory.

And then there were the duds. Peng's was far and away the worst. She survived solely for drama factor, because she proved conclusively that she has no construction skills whatsoever, and I'm not convinced that she understands English. That monstrosity might have looked acceptable at the local 4H square dance, but nowhere else. Jesus has done two straight duds. I thought for certain he was gone. But the producers must have thought he had some drama factor as well. It's hard to complain about Pamela's eviction, though, because her jeans dress didn't say "industry party" ... it said "rock concert." Seth could have been in the bottom as well, as well as a couple of others. It's a shame only one got sent home, because we know that none of these four have a chance.

And Lauren Hutton, despite looking like the Dragon Lady, came across as a very good judge and a nice upgrade from the clueless Nicole Richie in Week 1.

I'm looking forward to Week 6 (when the clueless hordes are ... hopefully ... gone).

dEdited to add: Re-saw part of the episode with daughter #2 over weekend. Still like Anna Marie's pattern, but not the dress shape. I guess Amy and Anthony were my top 2. In a second look, I liked Emilio's lines more than I did at first, too. Still not a strong Jay fan, though -- it was OK, but others were much better.

kidflash212 3854 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

01-23-10, 06:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Season 7, Episode 2"
Drama factor was clearly the reason Ping was kept around - no other explanation. That disaster she sent down the runway could possibly be the worst garment ever sent down the runway. Pamela's problem was she lacked personality and showed no great design skills to make up for it. Producers obviously felt no need to keep around the generic Pamela who would just fade into the background anyway - Ping is at least memorable and Jesus is more flamboyant as well.

arkiegrl 9421 desperate attention whore postings

01-24-10, 11:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail arkiegrl Click to send private message to arkiegrl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Season 7, Episode 2"
I agree about Anthony's design deserving of being Top 3 this week. I thought that was a beautiful dress.

Sunny_Bunny 5581 desperate attention whore postings

01-22-10, 07:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sunny_Bunny Click to send private message to Sunny_Bunny Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: What is with the super short skirts?? (spoiler info)"
LAST EDITED ON 01-22-10 AT 07:08 PM (EST)

LOL Mindy!

The operative words here were "industry party." Hence the casting couch and easy access needs to be taken into account.

01-22-10, 08:59 PM (EST)
9. "RE: What is with the super short skirts?? (spoiler info)"
*snort*

for talking a lot? me? Jan 2010

DrKegel 430 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

01-23-10, 08:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail DrKegel Click to send private message to DrKegel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: What is with the super short skirts?? (spoiler info)"
Peng's was far and away the worst. She survived solely for drama factor, because she proved conclusively that she has no construction skills whatsoever, and I'm not convinced that she understands English.
unquote

AyaK -

Totally agree here. She's controversial and seems to delight in the fact that she does things differently. Doing things differently is not in and of itself something to be proud of. It's only when your individualism makes you stand out in a way other than creating bad designs.

And you are so right about that understanding English part. She certainly understood everything up to that point. And she was even warned by Tim that the stage was elevated and to make the skirt too short or you'd see everything. Remember how she understood the concept of being "elevated?" And even if you didn't know an "industry" party was referring to the fashion industry (fashion? You know, what she's on the show to create! rolls eyes), exactly what other "industry" event is it acceptable for a woman to wear a skirt where the slit in the back reveals your entire buttocks? Hmmmm... let's see ... oh, that's right! There isn't any!

----------------------

Jesus has done two straight duds. I thought for certain he was gone.
unquote

I don't know. I'm liking Jesus' stuff. I didn't think there was anything wrong with the dress ... well, other than that back issue which was stupid because Christiane got canned for about the same type of design. The only difference was that Christiane couldn't sew properly and had construction issues.

-----------------

And didn't you say something about Seth? Whoever did, I agree! Seth's stuff is horrible! He definitely should have been in the bottom two this week along with Ping! I don't mind the hood concept - in fact I like hoods, but one with polka dot burn outs? What was that? Looked like bullet holes or cigarette burns. Neither is a particularly good fashion statement.

Seth looks cool. Think it's a major reason he's there. And Ping is there because she adds 'drama.' Pamela was too nice and her dress really wasn't anything new, different or particularly well-done. It looked a little too short or something. The proportion was off with the bodice being low and strapless and then the skirt up to the model's high tide mark. I think it was the back of it that sealed the deal. Seth didn't have puckering, just ugly going on. And Jesus, the dress fit. But then that leaves the big question mark as to why Ping wasn't tossed out for showing the entire nether region of a woman's backside, and we have the answer - need an oddball to create tension and drama! If Christiane or Pamela were big-mouthed, controversial or contentious, they'd still be around!

Welcome to the wonderful world of reality TV!

JessicaRN 1070 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

01-23-10, 05:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JessicaRN Click to send private message to JessicaRN Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: What is with the super short skirts?? (spoiler info)"
I noticed on the Models of the Runway show that Ping's poor model had put on black tights, which definitely helped.

01-23-10, 11:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: What is with the super short skirts?? (spoiler info)"
But she still got sent home after Ping dissed her in the next selection as a "weak" model, despite her bum knee (which she had to ice down after showing her butt on the runway) and despite the fact that Ping is such an incredibly weak designer.

I felt sorry for her.

01-23-10, 11:09 PM (EST)
14. "RE: What is with the super short skirts?? (spoiler info)"
>And didn't you say something about Seth? Whoever did, I agree!
>Seth's stuff is horrible! He definitely should have been in
>the bottom two this week along with Ping!

Yeah, that was me. As I said, I thought this challenge served as a clear demarcation between people with design/construction skill and people without.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •