The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Moderator Message - Poster Bashing Explained"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Starting Over General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

mysticwolf 10692 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-04-06, 06:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Moderator Message - Poster Bashing Explained"
Fo those of you who do not go over to the IH Forum.

Saw a post today that stated an opinion, along with an apology to the mods that they weren't trying to bash someone - and they weren't. Made me think that, just maybe, some posters don't quite understand what we mean by "poster bashing".
Maybe I can help. Actually, it probably fits in with at least one show message, in that it has to do with language and how you use it, to convey an opinion. It has applications outside of the board.

"You" can be a loaded word. It's often followed by something like "don't understand", "are being judgemental", "are full of s--t"... Add your own examples. "You", particularly when it isn't a universal "you", but one directed at a particular post, almost always is potential warning word. (Not always, but if you use it, it's worth doing a preview of your post to see how it could be interpreted through someone else's eyes.)

"I", when used without an accompanying "you" is generally a "good" word. "I think", "I feel", "I believe"... These are statements of your own opinion.

Opinions are what make up a threaded discussion board. It wouldn't be any fun, and none of us would learn and grow from the exchange of ideas, if all of us believed exactly the same thing - or "saw" exactly the same thing. We need to learn to see things through someone else's eyes. Eyes that have developed through that persons own life experiences.

When someone says "How dare you judge so-and-so. You haven't lived, or done, or seen, or whatever...", they are doing exactly what they are complaining of. They are judging the person they are addressing.

This is a message board - not a reality show that posters are being paid to appear upon. There is no requirement for anyone to post their life details to justify their opinion to others. It is their opinion. Plain and simple. Your experiences are different, leading you to a different opinion? Great! Post your opinion. Of the show or the show participant - not the poster that you disagree with.

As for the show, and show participants? It is a paid opportunity. The show exists to make money. You don't like the show? Feel free to bash it. You do like the show? Feel free to support it.

The participants tried out to appear on it and expose their lives to the general public. You don't like them? Feel free to say so. Criticism is part of the package of signing up and exposing your life choices. You do like them? Feel free to post that, too. They're just people, people make mistakes, atone for them, and, hopefully, move on.

Again, they signed up and tried out for the publicity and the possible opportunity of receiving help. Someone that likes them (or their behaviors) is probably a breath of fresh air. After all, if they thought they were perfect they wouldn't be on the show. Everyone can use both some criticism and some support in their lives. They've just chosen to get it, whichever it is, on national television.

Just leave each other out of it and you'll never have to worry about receiving a "bashing" warning, or worse, a bashing ban.

Remember - Preview is your friend. But remember to think of it like this: Preview is to see what your post might look like (content, spelling, grammar, etc.) to someone that isn't you.

Sigs by Bob, entirely accurate renditions of nature

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 bump Snidget 02-05-06 1
 bump Cygnus X1 02-07-06 2
 Bump mrc 02-08-06 3
   RE: Bump Snidget 02-09-06 4
 bump Cygnus X1 02-23-06 5
 RE: Moderator Message - Poster Bash... sharnina 02-27-06 6
 RE: Moderator Message - Poster Bash... sharnina 03-09-06 7

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

02-05-06, 03:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "bump"
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings

02-07-06, 11:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Cygnus%20X1 Click to send private message to Cygnus%20X1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "bump"

mrc 10020 desperate attention whore postings

02-08-06, 08:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mrc Click to send private message to mrc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "Bump"
I am shocked that no one took me up on my petition offer. Shocked!

Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

02-09-06, 01:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Bump"

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings

02-23-06, 10:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cygnus%20X1 Click to send private message to Cygnus%20X1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "bump"

sharnina 3075 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

02-27-06, 12:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sharnina Click to send private message to sharnina Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Moderator Message - Poster Bashing Explained"

sharnina 3075 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

03-09-06, 07:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sharnina Click to send private message to sharnina Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Moderator Message - Poster Bashing Explained"
bump

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •