The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Why SO ladies cannot and will not be "stars""
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Starting Over General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

p59jan 13 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

03-09-06, 09:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail p59jan Click to send private message to p59jan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Why SO ladies cannot and will not be "stars""
LAST EDITED ON 03-09-06 AT 09:54 AM (EST)

One of the reasons why we admire celebrities is because we don't really know much about them. They are mysterious to us and part of the desire is to discover what they are "really like." That's why People and US and Vogue and countless other magazines are so popular. That's why we are so easily convinced when they play characters in a movie and why we tune in whenever our favorite stars are being interviewed on TV.

Has anyone loved a particular celebrity only to find out that that person did something you didn't agree with/like and then your admiration for that person faded? I used to like Michael Jackson. I wish I never ever learned anything about him.

What people who participate in reality TV fail to realize is that we see too much of them during the time they are on a show and a lot of what we see is not very appealing. This is the nature of reality TV. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule -- Elizabeth from Survivor is now on The View, Ant from Last Comic Standing is now the host of Celebrity Fit Club, American Idol contenstants have gone on to record their own albums, and I am sure there are many more examples of others who have achieved success (whether moderate or not). If the show is about showcasing talent and does not watch every moment of their lives, then there is hope for relative celebrity status later.

In the case of the SO ladies, though, each lady that enters the house then exposes all the good and unfortunately, the bad. Seeing them in their moments of weakness is only appealing UNTIL they start talking about their dreams of being famous. We've seem them eating, crying, sleeping, begging, bitching, whining, yelling... amongst other things. They are barely ever sexy or attractive (not that this is a bad thing -- they are mostly "regular" women and I love that. Point is, the attraction just isn't there) Truly, I just don't want to know those things (or see them) in my favorite celebrity. I want those things to remain unknown. After all, the reason I like him/her is because I don't know much, am impressed by his/her talent and dream up all kinds of scenarios of what s/he might be like!

Seriously, can I really accept Christina as a serious artist? Can I really look at Jill on her own talk show and be amazed by her? Can I see either of the ladies in a movie and not be reminded of their crabby moments in the SO house? Sorry, but I just couldn't take any of the ladies seriously. Most people groan about Andy, after all!

A few minutes ago, I checked out Kacie's myspace and saw that she is an aspiring actress and model. It may have already been mentioned, but I don't remember. Sure, she can have those dreams, but I can't imagine seeing her in any print or TV and thinking "WOW, she is amazing!" I will instead remember all the times she put up with Simon's BS, cried, complained, whined and was generally vulnerable on the show.

What do you think?

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Why SO ladies cannot and will n... eire_heart74 03-09-06 1
 RE: Why SO ladies cannot and will n... livsforluv 03-09-06 2
 RE: Why SO ladies cannot and will n... kawyar 03-09-06 3
   RE: Why SO ladies cannot and will n... eire_heart74 03-09-06 4
 Once again . . . Cygnus X1 03-09-06 5
   RE: Once again . . . p59jan 03-10-06 6
   RE: Once again . . . Ingenue1983 03-11-06 8
       RE: Once again . . . Cygnus X1 03-11-06 10
           RE: Once again . . . Ingenue1983 03-13-06 14
       RE: Once again . . . creepyoldwoman 03-12-06 12
       RE: Once again . . . 26mitogo 03-12-06 13
 RE: Why SO ladies cannot and will n... Pixeltalk 03-10-06 7
 RE: Why SO ladies cannot and will n... JustBNMe 03-11-06 9
 RE: Why SO ladies cannot and will n... honeyb 03-12-06 11

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

eire_heart74 1231 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

03-09-06, 12:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail eire_heart74 Click to send private message to eire_heart74 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Why SO ladies cannot and will not be "stars""
I absolutely agree with you. There are way to many wannabe actresses and models that use these tv shows as stepping stones to get into the biz. Even Tess from last seaon admitted that she was here to get noticed. Would you watch a Tess talk show. Heck no!

Allison the wannabe failed actress, Vanessa who wanted to become a dancer, Towanda the singer, Lisa 1 who we now know has tried out for several reality tv shows. Christine who wants to be a model. As the seasons go one, the purpose of the show has fogged over. The real point of it lost for the hope of high ratings and contacts with agents.

Such a shame that the same show that helped one woman get off welfare, another recover from the death of her husband, helped a student get funds together to go to college and my all time fave Susan reunite with her long lost father and stepfather, has become what it has.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

livsforluv 113 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-09-06, 12:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail livsforluv Click to send private message to livsforluv Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Why SO ladies cannot and will not be "stars""
I used to love Brad Pitt and then he cheated on Jennifer Aniston with a cliche who will crush him, and I have literallly lost all respect.

kawyar 58 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

03-09-06, 03:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kawyar Click to send private message to kawyar Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Why SO ladies cannot and will not be "stars""
I agree with you too. The older I get, the more disillusioned I seem to become about life. Especially in L.A. and Hollywood.

I keep wondering if these HG's are constantly being manipulated by toadies that keep feeding them what they want to hear. I mean, we all heard about how talented Jill is/was. If she truly was all that hotshot, wouldn't she have more than just a part-time, filler job at an obscure public radio station?

Why do these women all have stars in their eyes? Do they get on the show hoping to have their 15 minutes of fame, or do the show's producers promise them more than that?

I think the reason I like some of the past HG's is that some of them were not there to get airtime, but had truly bought into the idea of getting some much needed therapy. I'm reminded of Candy, Renee, TJ, etc. They seemed not to be so ego-driven in the end.

But maybe that's just the nature of reality television. Perhaps the fact that the show becomes popular attracts more women who need help to start over, but the ones who try to get on the show are looking for some sort of affirmation through fame. I wish I knew more about their screening processes.

You are very right about the public perception about celebrities and "heroes". We don't want them to have feet of clay. We don't really want them to be like us. They must never pick their noses in an absent-minded moment sitting in their cars waiting for the traffic lights to change. They must be as close to perfection as possible so that we may challenge ourselves into aspiring to be the same.

eire_heart74 1231 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

03-09-06, 03:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail eire_heart74 Click to send private message to eire_heart74 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Why SO ladies cannot and will not be "stars""

>I'm reminded of Candy, Renee,
>TJ, etc. They seemed
>not to be so ego-driven
>in the end.

Exactly! Which is probably the reason why do see anything about them anywhere. They went there with the correct intent and left when they were done. Not trying to eek out any money on it.

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-09-06, 04:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cygnus%20X1 Click to send private message to Cygnus%20X1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "Once again . . ."
You have stumbled on the truth, and a prime reason why this particular website exists.

The desire that so many reality "stars" have to launch their show biz "careers" via a reality show is one of the main reasons why we bash them so much. And SO is no exception, much as some would like to think otherwise.

I again present this link which explains what the DAW levels under your name mean. They are all things that reality show "stars" have done to try to extend their 15 minutes of fame. Expect many of the SO HGs to do similarly, if they haven't done so already.

Bellhaven-Sewell in '08! Let's have REAL criminals in the White House!

p59jan 13 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

03-10-06, 09:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail p59jan Click to send private message to p59jan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Once again . . ."
Ah ha! I get it. That's hilarious. Yeah, I get it now. And "one of the main reasons why we bash them so much." Love it.

Ingenue1983 55 desperate attention whore postings

03-11-06, 07:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ingenue1983 Click to send private message to Ingenue1983 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Once again . . ."
Hmm... I just can't resist weighing in on this one. I know my mother, Seasoned Refinement, has mentioned that I have worked in and around the entertainment industry in NYC since 2001 (modeling and acting). My opinions are based on what I've learned. Having said that, when I take a look at the reality show line up...including the infamous Jill....my answer would have to be a big, resounding NO. NO! NO!.. and NO! I don't think there are any diamonds in the rough at the Starting Over house.

I think most of the guests, past and current, want to get more than just life skills from being on the show. Even though SOME of the people on the show have said that it is "delusional" to think that anyone comes on the show hoping to become famous, OTHERS have said the opposite thing.

This is from an article about Towanda Braxton-Carter (season 2): "......cast member Towanda Braxton revealed on the NBC syndicated show 'Starting Over' that she was indeed the younger sister of famous recording artist Toni Braxton. Being a singer herself, Towanda has spent the last eight years living in her sister's shadow, so she felt the television show would finally help her to establish her own identity......" (This is quoted from www.SGVTribune.com). Starting Over focused on Towanda's singing career, and all of the viewers knew that she wanted to record her own music. After Starting Over, I believe she did record a solo effort called, "Survivor", but I cannot find it in the Billboard 100 list. Towanda has access to A-list contacts, studio people, musicians, agents, producers, and engineers. Besides that, she has a good body, a good face, experience, a name, and TALENT. She still isn't there yet. Her sister is a multi-platinum R&B recording artist, and Towanda is still trying to achieve that level of fame. What chance does Allison have? Tess? Christy? Lisa? Sommer? Maureen? The country singer from season 1?

Now Towanda's recent legal problems of theft and forgery don't help. Mug shots are never a good thing (just ask Jill!). Even the people who have already become stars are unhappy about mug shots popping up, and these are the people who have professional publicists and lawyers spinning their indiscretions and mistakes.

Back on topic - will any of the CURRENT houseguests ever become bona fide, A-List celebrities? (Obviously we are excluding the Life Coaches, I hope, hehe). Nothing is impossible, but it's really improbable. Look at "Real World", one of MTV's longest running shows (another Bunim-Murray production). It began airing in 1992, and it was one of the *very* first reality TV shows to gain national attention - a LOT of it. It was, and is, reportedly one of MTV's biggest money-making shows.

Real World has completed 16 seasons of production. Each season has had seven cast members. That's 112 guests that have been on the show altogether... NONE of whom are real celebrities.
The guests stay in the house/on the show for the ENTIRE season... they do NOT leave the show (or graduate) after 8-10 weeks. After the season ends though, you will probably see them again! Check shows like "The Real World Vs. Road Rules", "The Guantlet", the various MTV specials that reunite the casts, "The Best of....." shows, and reruns, reruns, reruns. I was a HUGE fan of the show in High School & in college..... and, honestly, I can't remember even ONE SOLITARY NAME out of all those seasons.

Survivor, another reality show, is now advertising a show about the contestants called something like, "Survivor, Personal Lives", But once again, it is still under the banner of reality television.

To be honest, while we are flooded with Reality TV shows right now, they aren't really respected by the "artists" in the industry. It cuts into their careers - there is only so much time available on the TV schedule. There are no actors, no actresses, no agents/agencies, no actors' union, no extras, no acting coaches, etc. The principals don't need hair, make-up, and wardrobe (excluding Iyanla, Rhonda, & Dr. S), and the extensive writing teams needed on sit-coms and dramas are replaced by several storyline writers. I guess what I'm trying to say is that not too many power brokers are looking at Reality TV contestants as an untapped talent pool.

Elizabeth from Survivor (a real rarity) was on a show that is completely different from Starting Over. As time goes by on Starting Over, we see the women's worse sides (hang-ups, phobias, and neurotic behavior). On Survivor, the contestants are seen as more popular and skilled by the week. It takes real skill to "survive".

Omarosa (I don't know how to spell her name) may have the most name recognition of all the other reality "stars". And didn't Omarosa have to become a sharp pebble in your shoe to get noticed? I saw her on Dr. Phil (he was telling her that she didn't have the future that she thought she did), and I saw a clip from "The Apprentice" that blew my mind. In the scene, another cast member said, "Omarosa, that's like calling the kettle black" - to which Omarosa replied, "See - there you go with your racists terms...". It wasn't a joke, it was inflammatory. Yeah, Omarosa was (and probably is) ready, willing, and able to CREATE racial conflict, a scourge on society, where there is none JUST TO GET THE CAMERA FOCUSED ON HER! She makes the mistake of thinking that people really tuned in to see her because she was so magnetic. They tuned in to see her say stupid things to a prideful billionnaire - Donald Trump. At best, she became an interloper, wandering around where she really didn't belong. When did she become even a semi-celebrity? If she's mentioned on television now, it is usually as the butt of a joke in a monolouge (think of Leno or Conan packing 40 jokes, and crushing 30 people, into a 3 or 4 minute ice-breaker).

Allison? Well... she may do a few speaking engagements, but what expertise does she really have that's going to make people want to advertise her as a keynote speaker or hire her to coordinate a fund raiser? My mother's aunt had a double-mastectomy, but that doesn't make her a public speaker. What happens if and when Starting Over goes off the air? People will forget it quickly. Since there are no guarantees, Allison better get something else of substance on that resume.

Jill? She was in a better place in radio back in Miami - she had a pretty good thing and she lost it. Her current position? Hosting a 3 hr. per week jazz show (fill-in) on public radio pretty much puts her back at square one. On her way to the middle or top, she may run into insiders who remember her from her prior career, and they may not like or trust her because of her previous problems. Second, third, and fourth chances are great - if everyone is with the program. If broadcasting is like the acting or modeling business at all, people have loooong, looooooooooooong memories. I don't want her to fail, I just don't have much faith where she is concerned.

The other reality shows that feature "talent" are different from SO. "American Idol" is NOT a Reality Show like Starting Over, Survivor, etc. American Idol is a contest - a modified Star Search. You see the contestants for a handful of minutes, once a week, after a week of vocal coaching and choreography, Oh, and don't forget that these kids have spent 3 hours in the make-up chair getting their make-up, hair styling (bleaching, wigs, extensions, and weaves). Then there's wardrobe...Juicy Couture for the R&B acts and vintage Versace for the heartbreaking solos. Then they sing a song cut down to a third of it's size, and then they answer one or two questions while frantically mugging for the camera and holding up the right amount of fingers to correspond with their place in the voting process. (Only $.99 to text! hehe j/k). And once again, they have talent, huge undiscovered talent.

I think America is beginning to miss the glamour, fantasy, and escapism that well trained actors and plot lines offer.... I think America (a feeling that is so strongly reflected on this board) is seeing through the so-called 'reality' of 'reality' TV.

So, in a word - No. I don't see Allison, Jill or Kristy becoming household names. I don't see Jill having a syndicated talk show, Allison sitting on any blue ribbon panels, or Kristy booking a Prada campaign. Do any of them have a reputable agent or publicist (not someone the Starting Over people set them up with) willing to stand behind them based on their promise of long-term appeal? I guess it's pretty obvious that I don't think so.

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-11-06, 09:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cygnus%20X1 Click to send private message to Cygnus%20X1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Once again . . ."
LAST EDITED ON 03-11-06 AT 09:44 PM (EST)

If broadcasting is like the acting or modeling business at all, people have loooong, looooooooooooong memories.

Ayup. It's a small community.

Omarosa (I don't know how to spell her name)

We spell it "She Who Must Not Be Hired."

Better than I deserve.

Ingenue1983 55 desperate attention whore postings

03-13-06, 04:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Ingenue1983 Click to send private message to Ingenue1983 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Once again . . ."
"She who must not be hired"

LOL!!!

What could she even be hired to do???? haha

Rachel

creepyoldwoman 104 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-12-06, 04:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail creepyoldwoman Click to send private message to creepyoldwoman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Once again . . ."
I agree with you. I have never sat through another reality show except Starting Over, so this is all I can go on. However, look at how we are all spending our time now, online! Some may be doing both, staring at the tv as well but being online is something that is involved with our lives and is more interactive. So, television, has to be worth my time to watch now. Plus, the commercials are tedious and getting longer and longer and cable rates are also quite high. So, yes, I am begining to miss some class acts on tv. Some actors that have me really involved and escaping reality for awhile. People who go to school to learn how to entertain me. I think there is room for both reality and fantasy tv. But it must be balanced.

I wish Starting Over would move out of Hollywood and go rent some big mansion in bum ^&%$ and do the show from there. Cheap rent, less glamourous surroundings and probably get a lot of perks from the locals as an insentive to stay. Plus, they could give us a season 4 if they cut expenses on production.

During season one, Maureen became a comedian. It was an assignment. That seemed okay to me. But when Audry came on with big dreams of being a country singer, I got turned off and felt like they should have given her the number of some agent and got in a woman who had emotional issues.

26mitogo 493 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

03-12-06, 08:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail 26mitogo Click to send private message to 26mitogo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Once again . . ."
Ingenue1983 ~ Thanks for taking time out of your schedule to give us info from inside. You have your mom's gift of communication. I always look forward to her thoughtful, well organized posts. Your's is equally informative and well said.

I wish you luck in your career. Obviously you have made your way through the usual process and wouldn't be where you are without the qualities looked for in the business. I know your mom is immensely proud of you ... (we've spent a little time discussing our beautiful, talented daughters ... our perogative as proud mothers! )

As for anyone on the hundreds of reality shows currently on TV becoming stars ... I personally think they are delusional to think a reality show would be any more than an honest way to make a fool of themselves ... with the exception of American Idol for the reasons you mentioned. I have always wondered if the producers of the typical reality shows find people out there who, like Jill, Allison, etc., have delusions of grandeur, thinking they are only a photo shoot away from mega-stardom, then play into their ego and sense of entitlement, promising them more than is ever possible ... in order to get them onto the show, letting them think they will come out the other side with the discovery they have always thought was in their cards. I don't honestly see how these over-weight women who are barely average looking, at best, with little if any talent think they could get anywhere in such a tough business full of "beautiful people" who ARE talented and have actual star qualities. Even many of those who do have the talent, the beauty, the "it" factor don't make it. I does make them look a little rediculous and desperate.

Pixeltalk 644 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

03-10-06, 04:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Pixeltalk Click to send private message to Pixeltalk Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Why SO ladies cannot and will not be "stars""
It is like Andy Warhol said, "In the future, everyone will be famous for 15 minutes." The problem is that these folks don't know when their 15 minutes are up.

People that stay famous for a long time usually have some sort of talent, smarts, charisma, or whatever. Look at folks like Bruce Springsteen, Tom Hanks, Susan Sarandon,Oprah, Johnny Carson, Lance Armstrong, etc. They are not "just ordinary folks," though they may try to make it seem that way. Jill has a nice vocal talent but I'm not sure you can have an Oprah-like career on that. Oprah is super-smart and a talented actress ("The Color Purple"), she also connects with people in a way that not many can.

I agree that familiarity breeds contempt. It's like Winona Ryder; I used to think she was an attractive, intelligent and talented woman, until she shoplifted all those clothes. Now she seems shallow, pathetic, and immature, and her career is basically over.

JustBNMe 526 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

03-11-06, 09:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JustBNMe Click to send private message to JustBNMe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Why SO ladies cannot and will not be "stars""
The SO HG will not be stars because they have no talent, no personality that is interesting enough to be star power, they are not "star power" good looking, don't have good voices, aren't a size 2 and just plain don't have what it takes. These women couldn't handle the rejection nor the gossip and bad mouthing that stars get either. They'd fall to pieces and be back in the SOH in a heartbeat. Look at Allison.... she shut her website down because people weren't singing her praises and going ga ga over her.

honeyb 5 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

03-12-06, 11:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail honeyb Click to send private message to honeyb Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Why SO ladies cannot and will not be "stars""
Totally agree with you there! SO graduates can never be super stars in my eyes cause they don't show us any unusual talent. They are not in the house to do so. They are in there to get their lives straightened out and not to entertain us, or try to become famous, although I do think Amy from season 2 did try tomake a name for herself, and maybe plug for her basketball husband. But how far did she get? What does she do now? Travel agent? Yeh, real famous.
I too saw Kacie's photos over on myspace and talked to her a little about them. Everytime I look at her, all I can think of is her crying and the snot just falling out of her nose. Watching her walk away on camera is like watching a 50 year old woman with osteporosis, the way she was all bent over. A little over weight to be a model in my eyes. Simon needs to get a few of his tatoos removed too. These people are trying to hide something when they totally mark their bodies up with different signs and letters. The one Lou has on his arm is nice. Just a pretty initials of Jaclyn on his upper arm. Too much is sooo tacky!!
Now!! What do you think??

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •