The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"A matter of perspective..."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Big Brother Bashers Forum (Protected)
Original message

tamarama 1785 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

08-04-06, 03:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tamarama Click to send private message to tamarama Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"A matter of perspective..."
I’m far from an expert on strategy – I’ve not analyzed nearly as much or as well as many of the posters here, and I only started watching BB at BB4 (Alisore *shudder*). But I’ve had some thoughts kicking around in my head & thought I’d share them & see if I’m nuts, or if I make a little sense.

Perception of gameplay – good or bad/good or evil - has changed (for some) largely because of the way BB6 rolled out. Within the first few weeks of BB6, there were two very clearly defined alliances. Aside from the debacle of Howie nominating James & Sarah, there was NO interesting play, NO suspense. Once HOH was decided, you pretty much knew who would be going home the following week. The only things remotely suspenseful were the HOH competitions themselves. The cast of BB6 (all of them, not just the BB7s) defined “good play” by the strength of the player’s loyalty – not their strategy. *Gasp* James is trying to play with strategy!! Eliminate him!! (Even though James showed more strategic ability than others in BB6, he still over-played his hand & deserved to go. He had strategy, yes – but he wasn’t good at applying it.)

Anyway, the season was still entertaining because we had the gripping battle of good vs. evil – complete with opportunities to debate which side was which. But the season was definitely NOT about strategic play.

So here we are watching BB7, the supposed “All-Stars.” AGAIN, we have some very open, clear alliances. We have people espousing loyalty, honesty and dependability – as though the winner of the game should be a moral icon, not a game player. It’s mostly BB6 that is fueling these perceptions. “Chilltown” (good god I hate alliance names) is only open because, duh, it’s so well documented there’s no way they could hide it.

• There are players furious that some are “playing for themselves” – this is not exclusive to BB – we see this on Survivor all the time too. Well duh. We don’t even need to address why THIS is stupid.

• Players are complaining that the HOH expects them to vote the way he or she wants them to. So why do they do it? Who told them they have to do that? Isn’t the process: HOH nominates, hamsters vote? If they’re upset about it, why don’t they change their votes?

• Players are counting votes in advance to see who is going to be evicted…and then they’re ALL voting the same way – presumably so no one stands out. WHA?!?!? This is a UTR or Coat-tail technique. When does it become policy? When the bulk of the voters are either UTR (Danielle), Coat-taillers (Marcy, Erika), or Loyalty hounds (K, H, Jan).

• Much has been said about the “Floaters” not playing the game, not taking risks, not deserving to be there. Moves are being made to deliberately “force the ‘floaters’ to choose a side.” WHY??? First off, do we really want to see a household so cleanly divided as BB6 again? I don’t. And secondly, even if you are in an alliance (BB6), you need some ‘floaters’ as buffer, as voters, as targets, as chaff. PLEASE don’t make everyone line up on one side or another.

• And let’s touch on this use of the word “floater.” Oy. ALL of these "unaligned” people are not floaters. I thought that a floater was one who moved between alliances (secretly and/or smoothly – not clumsily & loudly like James). That’s not the same as a UTR player…who makes moves quietly behind the scenes rather than calling attention to themselves (Danielle). Or a Coattail-Rider, who just latches onto a more skilled or aggressive player and holds on for as long as they can (Marcellas, Erika).

These are only a couple of examples of the strange things that are considered “good” or “bad” play this season.

I began watching BB7 happy to see JKH&J back in the house. Even kinda rooting for them. (I hadn’t watched BB2 or BB3, and I hated everyone but Nakomis and Will W. on BB4 & BB5) Hey, they’re likable people, and I like to watch likable people (I don’t “love to hate” Alison & Jase, I just hate them. They don't entertain me.)

BUT…I also like to watch good game play. (That’s good vs. bad play, not good vs. evil.)

As weeks go by and they each show themselves to be…less than skilled, I’ve been really disappointed. Until I started to look at things from a different angle.

I AM seeing really good game play. Just not from BB6. I’m seeing really good game play from Will and Danielle. *sigh* yyyyyeeeeeessssssssss.

I just had to shift my perspective.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: A matter of perspective... chappi66 08-04-06 1
 RE: A matter of perspective... nailbone 08-04-06 2
   RE: A matter of perspective... chappi66 08-04-06 4
       RE: A matter of perspective... brvnkrz 08-04-06 6
           RE: A matter of perspective... nailbone 08-10-06 14
       RE: A matter of perspective... Aruba 08-04-06 7
 RE: A matter of perspective... brvnkrz 08-04-06 3
 RE: A matter of perspective... LIVEURBESTLIFE 08-04-06 5
 RE: A matter of perspective... Buggy 08-04-06 8
   RE: A matter of perspective... bdemoney 08-05-06 9
       RE: A matter of perspective... Denalio 08-10-06 13
 RE: A matter of perspective... Lasann 08-05-06 10
   RE: A matter of perspective... Buggy 08-05-06 11
       RE: A matter of perspective... LIVEURBESTLIFE 08-05-06 12

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

chappi66 112 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

08-04-06, 03:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail chappi66 Click to send private message to chappi66 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: A matter of perspective..."
Ditto, Ditto and Ditto again. You hit the nail on the head. BB6 is a little clueless right now on how to play a strategic game. If they knew what they were doing, even remotely, they would have taken out Will and/or Boogie by now. However, since Will does know how to play the game(and by the way I loved the whole bathtub scene), he has got Janielle thinking they are on the same side (so to speak). I love it. Will is a true game player.
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-04-06, 03:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: A matter of perspective..."
Sounds good to me.

“Chilltown” (good god I hate alliance names)

Didn't they name themselves that way back in the beginning of BB2? it is a stupid name, I agree.

Holey carp! My blog! MySpace!
Official OT Tassel Adjuster and OT Fantasy Football Champ! o-

chappi66 112 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

08-04-06, 05:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail chappi66 Click to send private message to chappi66 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: A matter of perspective..."
LAST EDITED ON 08-04-06 AT 05:31 PM (EST)

Yes they did and it was stupid then. I don't know what is worse Chilltown or the Four Horsemen. Maybe we should start another post and ask which alliance name is the most annoying.

Chilltown
The Four Horsemen
Soveign 4
Friendship Alliance

Ugh!!

brvnkrz 20491 desperate attention whore postings

08-04-06, 07:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: A matter of perspective..."
I vote for the Friendship Alliance. It sounds so Pollyana.

A wonderful Tribe original

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

08-10-06, 10:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: A matter of perspective..."
Plus, it was so absolutely NOT friendly.

Holey carp! My blog! MySpace!
Official OT Tassel Adjuster and OT Fantasy Football Champ! o-

Aruba 1891 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

08-04-06, 08:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Aruba Click to send private message to Aruba Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: A matter of perspective..."
My vote is for the BB6 "GIRL SCOUT TROOP"...the girls and the homosexual Beau.

brvnkrz 20491 desperate attention whore postings

08-04-06, 04:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: A matter of perspective..."
At the start of this season I couldn't figure out what Will was doing and was very disappointed. But he is playing a great game and I think he, and maybe Dani, are the only ones who really get how to play this game. I hate the whole thing about people crying about their "friends" turning on them. This is a game. You did not come in friends so there is nothing that binds anyone to any sort of loyalty. You have to play for yourself. It helps to have people aid you but ultimately, you play for yourself.

A wonderful Tribe original

LIVEURBESTLIFE 302 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

08-04-06, 07:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LIVEURBESTLIFE Click to send private message to LIVEURBESTLIFE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: A matter of perspective..."
Great post Tam!

You hit the nail on the head.

Buggy 5089 desperate attention whore postings

08-04-06, 11:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Buggy Click to send private message to Buggy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: A matter of perspective..."
Some great thoughts on the game, Tamarama.

I agree with some of what you say, I very much like the way you've said it.

I think the season is only going to get better. I hope there will be much good game.

bdemoney 745 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

08-05-06, 09:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail bdemoney Click to send private message to bdemoney Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: A matter of perspective..."
LAST EDITED ON 08-05-06 AT 10:00 AM (EST)

I know this is Bashers and not spoilers but I did just read a NEW alliance name so I had to add it to this thread (hopefully I'm not spoiling anything for anyone)

It was given by the BB6ers, not a self-named one.....The Float Herd.

Yes, those season sixers are great at picking original alliance names! Smiles, and shakes head....

Denalio 903 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

08-10-06, 00:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Denalio Click to send private message to Denalio Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: A matter of perspective..."
>Yes, those season sixers are great
>at picking original alliance names!
> Smiles, and shakes head....
>

When I first read this post, I thought maybe there were alliances named "Smiles" and "Shakes Head"! I did not watch season 6 so I paused and wondered. Obviously an alliance named after the fearful spinning clown head would be a terrifying and fearsome name!

...but then I realized it was just wishful thinking...

Lasann 3616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

08-05-06, 10:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Lasann Click to send private message to Lasann Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: A matter of perspective..."
I agree. I also think that Janelle is playing a good game with the confused act. Will it work for her, we'll see.

Kaysar is the one who disappoints me. He doesn't seem to understand the dislike the other housemates have for the S6. He over-estimates loyality (like last year).

Danielle is an awesome player; Janelle is an awesome player; and Will is an awesome player. Will one of them win, I dunno.

It a Tribe original!!!

Buggy 5089 desperate attention whore postings

08-05-06, 06:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Buggy Click to send private message to Buggy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: A matter of perspective..."
I agree with what you say about Kaysar, Lasann.
I think he is one of those people who truely wants to believe the best in people. He is optimistic, and believes that if he is loyal he will get loyalty from others in return. Unfortunately that isn't necessarily a good way to play this type of game.
He seems to enjoy the stratagy part of the game, but but doesn't seem to understand the deception part.

Danielle is an awesome player; Janelle is an awesome player; and Will is an awesome player. Will one of them win, I dunno.

Win or lose, these 3 definately deserve the title, All Stars.

LIVEURBESTLIFE 302 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

08-05-06, 07:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LIVEURBESTLIFE Click to send private message to LIVEURBESTLIFE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: A matter of perspective..."
I don't dislike Janelle. I just haven't seen her do anything that would qualify her as an All-Star. She seems to be physical enough to win competitions but winning comps doesn't really win you the game. If anything it makes you the target. So it's really not a good way to play or win.

She also seemed weak-minded and foolish in her conversations with Will. The way she protected CT in the veto comp was not really a smart move on her part.

I would be interested to get feedback on what makes her a great player because I don't see it.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •