The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Thoughts on Supernova song #2"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Rock Star (Protected)
Original message

cycles2k 538 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

08-24-06, 02:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cycles2k Click to send private message to cycles2k Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Thoughts on Supernova song #2"
Over on the Rockstar message board there were a lot of people complaining that both SN songs sucked. This surprised me. I didn't enjoy the first song but thought the second song was awesome. My wife and I felt that Toby did an excellent job and demonstrated that he should be considered a real contender for the job. Toby's voice suited the song and his performance suited SN. The song sounded great and the band looked great.

Glowie mentionned in another thread that she felt that Supernova would look and sound a lot better with a singer other than Dilana. She may have a thought.

What do others think about the second song. Did you enjoy it or did you think it was another outdated pop song?

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2 geg6 08-24-06 1
 RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2 PagongRatEater 08-24-06 2
 RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2 triednottowatch 08-24-06 3
 RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2 Snidget 08-24-06 4
 RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2 true 08-24-06 5
   RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2 PagongRatEater 08-24-06 6
   RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2 CattyChat 08-24-06 8
 RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2 michel 08-24-06 7
 RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2 Loree 08-24-06 9
 RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2 Glow 08-24-06 10
   RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2 SherpaDave 08-24-06 19
 RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2 SilverStar 08-24-06 11
   RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2 Wacko Jacko 08-24-06 13
       RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2 Glow 08-24-06 15
 Try this PagongRatEater 08-24-06 12
 RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2 jkokoj 08-24-06 14
 RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2 cheesybread 08-24-06 16
 RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2 toddE 08-24-06 17
 RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2 mocha madness 08-24-06 18
   RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2 cycles2k 08-24-06 20
 RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2 geekboy 08-25-06 21
   RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2 cheesybread 08-25-06 23
 RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2 Magnolia_Rocker 08-25-06 22

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-24-06, 08:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2"
Though I wasn't a fan of the first song, I liked this one as much as you did. And I thought Toby totally rocked it. In fact, I thought Toby was "on" for both songs last night.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

PagongRatEater 12973 desperate attention whore postings

08-24-06, 09:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2"
I agree. Toby was natch up there with them and the band sounded great with him in front.

But, the four of us had a great time.

triednottowatch 281 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

08-24-06, 09:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail triednottowatch Click to send private message to triednottowatch Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2"
Let's just say that my CD purchasing money is staying safely in my pocket at this point. I think what SN may end up needing is a songwriter.

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

08-24-06, 09:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2"
Maybe I need to listen to it again. My first impression was "meh" and my next thought was, "I hope these guys have enough fans who will but whatever carp they put out or they won't make enough money to cover production costs"

It's a tribe creation!

But then I have notoriously bad taste in music as you would know if you looked at my CD collection

true 9689 desperate attention whore postings

08-24-06, 09:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail true Click to send private message to true Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2"
Toby did the best he could with it, but the song was complete and total crap. Supernova sucks, and I feel sorry for the poor sap who wins this contest. I'd pay double to see the top contestants tour with the house band. I think this format was much better with an established band like INXS. Really, does anyone think that Supernova will go anywhere?

08-24-06, 10:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2"
I liked this weeks song a lot better, and I thought Toby sounded perfect for the band. That being said, the songwriting does need some help. The band itself is quite talented, but better songwriting would definitely help them out.

CattyChat 3379 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

08-24-06, 10:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail CattyChat Click to send private message to CattyChat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2"
I'm with True. Toby was GREAT, the song was terrible. Well, last season I bought tix to 2 of INXS' shows near me and it was well worth it. After this season ends, I know there is no temptation to see Supernova, no matter who wins. I just hope my 3 guys don't win & get stuck in a deadend contract until it expires. If Ryan, Toby & Lukas tour after the show, I would buy tickets to see THEM do their thing.

Kind Creation of ARNutz

michel 10812 desperate attention whore postings

08-24-06, 10:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2"
It's very difficult to judge a song on first hearing. I thought both were lacking but the first had a more catchy melody, while the second had a better riff. Both singers looked fine, I had more concern about Gilby! Can he play a solo? I haven't heard it yet.

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings

08-24-06, 10:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2"
I hated the song and the performance last week. This week I liked the song better. And I thought Toby was a much better "fit" than Dilana. But I still wasn't overly crazy about the song. I am still waiting for a Supernova performance to make me go WOW. It hasn't happened yet. But they are getting better.

I wonder if they are performing their songs in an order from weakest to strongest? It would make sense they would want to gradually sound better. And for that I think they would also want to save their fave singers for the last couple performances. It was a sign when they used Dilana first that they did not intend to hire her. And I also think it was a bad sign for Toby that he was asked next. Don't they want to finally have that moment when everything just falls into place and they blow the roof off the building with their choice? And they wouldn't want that to happen with 3 weeks left. Then there would be milder choices after and the fans would forget about their great moment. I want to know how many more original songs we will hear?

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

08-24-06, 10:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2"
What both songs are lacking is a good lyricist. Both Toby and Dilana looked good with the band. It just really depends what they want. They need somebody to work with the lyrics instead of singing them like they're reading them from a teleprompter. For that, Toby was way better. I like his voice much more. I'd be curious to hear all versions of every song. I accepted that Toby was the right choice last night. Or at least one of the right choices. I'm not so sure about last week based on the snippets. Of course, I'm not in love with Dilana's voice like they seem to be.

They do need a lead guitarist. Gilby, though good at what he does, is a rhythm guitar player.

I've been singing, "hey hey hey ho ho ho," all morning.

“Music has been my best friend my whole life, because music doesn’t betray you.” - Lukas Rossi

SherpaDave 8324 desperate attention whore postings

08-24-06, 09:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SherpaDave Click to send private message to SherpaDave Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2"
Bingo. The lyrics were terrible. And the band is horribly limited in their songwriting by what Gilby can do. Jason is a phenomenal bassist--some of the bass riffs of Metallica are just so far beyond what anyone else is doing. And T-Lee is a solid drummer. Gilby... well... I've grown to like him okay on a personal level, but his musicianship is just far, far below the others. And when your lead guitarist isn't as strong, it brings the level of the music down for the whole band. And it's a shame, because I think that Jason and T-Lee, with a good lyricist and a good lead guitarist, could lay down some exciting stuff. If this band wants to succeed, they'd do well to relegate Gilby to rhythm guitar and find a lead guitarist who can handle both the playing and the writing of good riffs. (I'd suggest the guitarist from the house band based on his playing abilities, but I don't know how strong a writer he is, and I'd also hate to see him leave the house band.)

See Dave write. See Dave edit. See Dave blog. See Dave space.

SilverStar 6205 desperate attention whore postings

08-24-06, 10:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SilverStar Click to send private message to SilverStar Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2"
I thought it was horrible. I was actually laughing at them and saying "Seriously? This is the type of music you're going to play?" Complete and utter crap, IMO.

A Tribe work of art

Wacko Jacko 2434 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

08-24-06, 10:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Wacko%20Jacko Click to send private message to Wacko%20Jacko Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2"
Did not see Dilana perform with SN. Did see Toby and thought that he looked great with the band. I know most are knocking the song, but for people like me it usually takes a few listens for a song to click with me....so I will not judge the song right of the bat.

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

08-24-06, 10:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2"
*shock* I'm agreeing with you, buttercup. I found that last week, if I listened without watching the trainwreck of film and lighting and dancing girls, I liked it more. Last night, the lighting was better and there were no dancing girls so I liked it more right off the bat. But there were a whole lot of words. "hey hey hey ho ho ho" With both of them, I played them a second time and left the room. They sound much better after a few listens. (Still like Toby's voice loads better.)

“Music has been my best friend my whole life, because music doesn’t betray you.” - Lukas Rossi

08-24-06, 10:26 AM (EST)
12. "Try this"
I can't be the only person who thought that the riff in that song sounded an AWFUL lot like the opening to the Sesame Street theme.

Think about it.

jkokoj 4389 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

08-24-06, 10:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jkokoj Click to send private message to jkokoj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2"
I thought Toby rocked it. At first I was meh and then it took a little bit to get into it. I am with several others hear that feel Gilby is not rockin it!

I am, however, giving SuperNova a chance to prove themselves. Its not like those 3 guys have been playing together more than this last year or even had much of a chance to get into a studio together to hash through everything. I agree whole heartedly that this band needs some decent song writing. I just feel they are building a band and don't have an established song base yet. Sometimes it just takes few to find that groove.

While I loved JD and INXS I am enjoying the format of this show. I am rooting for the band to succede, I love Tommy and am enjoying the final 6 rockers.

cheesybread 198 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

08-24-06, 10:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cheesybread Click to send private message to cheesybread Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2"

I liked the song last night, and I thought Toby was a real good choice to sing that song. There were some parts that were less singing as talking on beat (not quite rapping though.) It was much better then the song last week. I also was not impressed with Dilana as much as quite a few people were.

Others have stated that this band should (hopefully) get better each week, as they get more comfortable and bring out their better matterial.

As far as the House Band being better then SN: I felt that the House Band was better then INXS last year too. However, INXS had nothing to prove as they had/have an extensive back catalog to draw from. If they were a little off from sitting on their butts for a while, then it isn't any big deal.

Supernova does not get the luxury of established credibility as a band, except from the past individual efforts of the members. So I have tried be a little more leinient in my criticism of the things we hear from them, becuase I am confident that when they get in the studio, they can tweak the song and lyrics with/for the singer they choose.

toddE 1433 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

08-24-06, 11:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail toddE Click to send private message to toddE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2"
I thought Dilana fronting Supernova was mediocre, bland music with good looks.

Last night was also mediocre.

I like Toby and Dilana. I preferred Dilana with the band.

mocha madness 251 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

08-24-06, 08:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mocha%20madness Click to send private message to mocha%20madness Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2"
I totally agree with True and Silverstar....that song was crap! Whoever finishes "second" in this competition might be the real winner, as they won't have to tour with these losers, and perhaps with this exposure get a gig with a real band.

If they can't produce anything better than this junk they will be one and done.....one tour and splitsville....poor Tommy can always re-enroll at U. of Nebraska, and star in another crappy reality show. Gilby and Jason can then get gigs in a real rock band.

cycles2k 538 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

08-24-06, 10:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cycles2k Click to send private message to cycles2k Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2"
I wouldn't try to predict how long SN is gonna last but if they pick Toby I will buy the CD just for that song. We have listened to it about 10 times and love it. Still have no use for the first song, but that might have been the vocals.

Time to go post a correction to my Love List because Toby just climbed to the top of the pack.....

geekboy 1778 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

08-25-06, 11:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2"
Both songs were crap. The music was fine. But the lyrics for both songs sucked beyond description.

Hopefully they haven't signed off on the lyrics. What they SHOULD do is hire Patrice as a lyricist. That is where she shines.

geekboy

cheesybread 198 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

08-25-06, 12:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cheesybread Click to send private message to cheesybread Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2"
What they SHOULD do is hire Patrice as a lyricist. That is where she shines.

I had the same thought. Patrice was the best songwriter there, by far it seems, she just didn't have much stage presents.

And why not hire her, after all both Diana and Suzy contributed to the INXS album.

Magnolia_Rocker 2139 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

08-25-06, 11:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Magnolia_Rocker Click to send private message to Magnolia_Rocker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Thoughts on Supernova song #2"
LAST EDITED ON 08-25-06 AT 11:08 AM (EST)

I liked this song a helluva lot better than the first. Probably because of the frontman but not totally the reason.

Summer siggy thanks to Syren!

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •