The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"M.H.: Suicide Or Accident?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Rock Star (Protected)
Original message

photokitty 298 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

09-23-05, 02:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail photokitty Click to send private message to photokitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"M.H.: Suicide Or Accident?"
I'm going here because in all the articles surrounding the show, most of the press says Michael "hanged himself" or "took his own life" or "suicide." I sort of winced every time I read that. Only a small number of articles have left it alone by just saying "the death of." It happened in late 1997, so my memory is foggy, but I don't recall reading anything to specifically say that it was definitely suicide.

Perhaps the press just found it easier to say that. Yet, given the press's penchant for things sensational and exploitative, why wouldn't they emphasize the accidental death during auto-eroticism angle? I know it was mentioned, a little. Perhaps editors nationwide said, "No way are you talking about that!" Are we, as a society, so prudish to PREFER that it was a suicide?

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: M.H.: Suicide Or Accident? LaLaLisa 09-23-05 1
   RE: M.H.: Suicide Or Accident? Hoobie 09-23-05 2
       RE: M.H.: Suicide Or Accident? Moother 09-23-05 3
           RE: M.H.: Suicide Or Accident? LaLaLisa 09-23-05 5
               RE: M.H.: Suicide Or Accident? geg6 09-23-05 6
                   RE: M.H.: Suicide Or Accident? Moother 09-23-05 7
                   regarding post 6 Undertow12345 09-23-05 10
                       RE: regarding post 6 dragonflies 09-26-05 14
   RE: M.H.: Suicide Or Accident? photokitty 09-23-05 12
 RE: M.H.: Suicide Or Accident? LaLaLisa 09-23-05 4
   RE: M.H.: Suicide Or Accident? photokitty 09-23-05 11
 RE: M.H.: Suicide Or Accident? CattyChat 09-23-05 8
   Michael's life LaLaLisa 09-23-05 9
 I disagree trigirl 09-24-05 13
 RE: M.H.: Suicide Or Accident? Goober 09-26-05 15
 Bono's comment Loree 10-22-05 16

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

LaLaLisa 296 desperate attention whore postings

09-23-05, 02:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LaLaLisa Click to send private message to LaLaLisa Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: M.H.: Suicide Or Accident?"
LAST EDITED ON 09-23-05 AT 02:53 PM (EST)

I think there are still a lot of people that don't know what it is.

PSA - If you are reading this and are one of the ones who don't know, auto-erotic aphysixiation is a way to make an orgasm more intense by cutting off your oxygen flow (usually by near strangling yourself) making you lightheaded. The idea is cut off enough air to make you lightheaded, but remain conscious - so you can undo it. If you misjudge, you pass out and then die. I think it's mostly guys that do it while jacking-off (the auto-erotic part) which is what makes it dangerous - no partner to help out if you pass out.

Back to why it is or isn't mentioned: I think back in 1997 it still wasn't talked about - I mean, violence, yes, sex, yes but masturbation? No one ever talks about that. Even though I swear I saw it Oprah in high school. I'd like to think it isn't so much as a conscious decision to call it suicide when they know it wasn't, but technically he did strangle himself and they stop there, don't bother with the full story.

It does do a huge disservice to Michael, though. It was accidental death, not suicide.

More PSA - a good references on the topic: http://www.silentvictims.org/

Started by someone who lost his brother to it. It talks about the embarrassment that families feel and other complicated things. Some people are more embarassed by sex than suicide. So even if MH's family members weren't, there are probably plenty in the press who are.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Hoobie 569 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

09-23-05, 02:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Hoobie Click to send private message to Hoobie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: M.H.: Suicide Or Accident?"
Great post LaLa.

I know that we all know what happened. But, I can't remember HOW I know. Was it MSN? News? Radio? I do remember sitting in my office transfixed by the news, and wanting to get more. I think I was web-surfing trying to get more info. That's when I found out more about Paula, Bob Geldof, etc.

Maybe it didn't happen with auto-erotic asphyxiation?? Maybe, it's one of those things that someone told someone else, and now everyone knows and considers it the truth without verification?

I imagine that the police officer/ maid/ whomever that found him, found him nude and in position. But really, what does that prove? Wasn't there something about a note too? Eight years is a long time to keep all this straight.

Moother 132 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

09-23-05, 03:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Moother Click to send private message to Moother Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: M.H.: Suicide Or Accident?"
In a way it really was suicide because doing something that extreme is kind of like playing Russian Roulette. Your taking a chance with your life. Some times you win and sometimes you don't but at his age I would think he knew the chance of death existed and he still made the choice.

09-23-05, 03:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LaLaLisa Click to send private message to LaLaLisa Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: M.H.: Suicide Or Accident?"
Yes, he made the choice to risk, but there is a HUGE difference between RISKING your life and TAKING your life.

Are soldiers suicidal? Firefighters? Yes, there is a HUGE difference between risking your life for an ideal, versus risking it for pleasure or thrill, but who one would argue that soldiers, et. al., are suicidal.

As the brother who runs the website wrote:

"We thought that is was easier to tell people that Bob committed suicide. That was because it was easier for others to understand. Think about it. We soon came to the conclusion that suicide made it easier for others to understand, however, it was not fair to Bob, nor was it fair to our family. He did not wish to die. He loved life and lived it fully. Ultimately, we placed Bob and family in front of other people's "comforts of understanding". The way it should be. Those that wanted to know, close family and select friends, we told them what happened. We tried to explain AeA as best we could. Most often, it was not important if they understood, only that they knew the truth. In the long run, our family decisions were the best."

http://www.silentvictims.org/FAQ's.htm

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-23-05, 03:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: M.H.: Suicide Or Accident?"
Absolutely right, Lisa.

I scuba dive. It's very risky. Does that make me suicidal? I don't think so. I drive well over the speed limit, sometimes when I've had a beer or two. Does that make me suicidal? I smoke. Does that make me suicidal?

There are those who have sex with strangers without a condom. That doesn't mean they are suicidal.

Taking risks does not equal suicide.

I'm such a slut for the blues.

Moother 132 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

09-23-05, 03:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Moother Click to send private message to Moother Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: M.H.: Suicide Or Accident?"
I agree but many times when people do risky things we say that's just suicide! That's my point. It's a risk you take.
Soldiers generally go where they are ordered to go and therefore much of the choice is removed from them.
In his case I would imagine it isn't mentioned the sexual aspect because it was a bit embarrassing for the band. Maybe they ALL do/did it but they don't want to talk about it.
I know I wouldn't want to admit I did it, anymore than I would want to admit I was a hooker to send my kids to college. (by the way, I really wasn't)

Undertow12345 376 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

09-23-05, 08:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Undertow12345 Click to send private message to Undertow12345 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "regarding post 6"
Please do not get drunk and drive well over the speed limit.
It puts the lives of other people at risk and you may kill some child while driving drunk well over the speed limit.
Thank You
Signed..someone who lost someone because of driving well over the speed limit with a couple of beers in them.

and now back to casual banter...

dragonflies 8051 desperate attention whore postings

09-26-05, 10:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dragonflies Click to send private message to dragonflies Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: regarding post 6"
Thanks undertow. YOu beat me to it.

09-23-05, 10:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail photokitty Click to send private message to photokitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: M.H.: Suicide Or Accident?"

>It does do a huge disservice
>to Michael, though. It
>was accidental death, not suicide.

Yeah, that's my point.
There is a distinction, ie, the will to die.
I never believed it was suicide, but I couldn't remember if there was any fact connected to my belief.

09-23-05, 03:11 PM (EST)
4. "RE: M.H.: Suicide Or Accident?"
More info:

"Although an inquest ruled Hutchence had committed suicide, friends say he died accidentally in an act of autoerotic asphyxiation."
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/06/09/1055010927488.html

Since it was officially ruled a suicide, that must be why they report it that way. Easier.

A site that says it has the coroner's report transcript:
http://www.thei.aust.com/music98/hutchcor.html

09-23-05, 10:41 PM (EST)
11. "RE: M.H.: Suicide Or Accident?"
Thanks LaLa, that's what I wanted to know.

CattyChat 3379 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

09-23-05, 04:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CattyChat Click to send private message to CattyChat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: M.H.: Suicide Or Accident?"
All very good articles posted on this thread. I also cannot rememeber the particulars of how I heard of the accidental nature of the death due to auto-eroticism back then. I was very naive & sheltered back then & knew nothing about various fetishes people have and I was shocked & grossed out at that time.

After living the last 8 years in the big city & meeting people of all walks of life & different lifestyles, my eyes are opened to many different things people are into & preferences they may have. The biggest thing I have learned is not to judge people on what they do.

It is sad how hard it must be for families to deal with the aftermath of something like this, but I would think stating it was an "accidental hanging" is much better than suicide. Actually, usually when I hear anything about Michael Hutchence's death it is stated as accidental.

Just like any other young person whose life is cut short by an accident, suicide, murder or illness, it is just a sad shame. May Michael rest in peace.

09-23-05, 04:19 PM (EST)
9. "Michael's life"
"Just like any other young person whose life is cut short by an accident, suicide, murder or illness, it is just a sad shame. May Michael rest in peace."

Amen. If nothing else, I'm so glad this topic was started because in searching for details/facts about his death, I read so much more about his life, his craft, his writing. I have a whole new appreciation for him.

trigirl 2844 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

09-24-05, 08:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail trigirl Click to send private message to trigirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "I disagree"
I remember following this tragedy. I was stunned. I remember seeing images of Paula in her wedding dress, dyed black at the funeral.

I disagree that it was a case of auto-erotocism gone bad. Paula started that because she could not deal with the fact that it was a simple stupid act and that she had been a factor in his downward spiral.

Goober 209 desperate attention whore postings

09-26-05, 12:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Goober Click to send private message to Goober Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: M.H.: Suicide Or Accident?"
LAST EDITED ON 09-26-05 AT 02:07 PM (EST)

That question will always remain over the circumstances surrounding MH's death. His rockstar career had pretty much flatlined at the time, and any mention about him in the Murdoch press was inevitably linked to Paula and Bob. While Paula had her share of male admirers in her heyday (she reportedly snubbed even Bono), it says alot about a supposed Lothario's state of mind if he went on from dating the likes of Kylie Minogue and Helena Christensen to eventually settling for Yates, a sparky, bottle blonde tv host with a troubled past. To recklessly seduce a middle-aged albeit riotous mother of 3 and in the process almost have your lights punched out by her very tall husband can only be the desperate actions of a depressed man.
If she made him laugh, she also cost him somewhat, even by rockstar standards, because the unending custody battles over Paula's kids certainly sent her ex to the cleaners. Last overheard in a heated spat with Geldof over the children, MH was certainly troubled at the time whatever his motivations might have been behind his act of asphixiation.

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings

10-22-05, 02:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "Bono's comment"
http://contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mn...gic%20hutchence

Rocker BONO still regrets not supporting troubled INXS star MICHAEL HUTCHENCE in his final days - because he thinks he might have been able to save the Australian icon.

The U2 star was close friends with Hutchence, but fears he let his pal down because he didn't act on his wife ALI HEWSON's concerns that Hutchence was on the edge.

He reveals, "I felt I had let Michael down because I was lost in my own busy-ness and hadn't called as much as I would have liked.

"In fact, Ali had spent some time with him and she'd said he looked a bit shaky to her.

"I just wished I'd been around a bit more. He would confide in me and I in him. We were really good friends."

21/10/2005 02:59

Also U2 has been performing the song "Stuck in the Moment" which is about Michael. At a recent concert before he sang the song Bono made a comment about RockStar:INXS. Bono said he didn't know what he personally thought about INXS doing the show to find a new lead singer. Then he kind of laughed and said he wondered what Michael would think about it. Then Bono said that Michael probably would have been okay with it and liked the idea.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •