The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Burnett in the Cutting Room"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Rock Star (Protected)
Original message

trigirl 2844 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

08-31-05, 12:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail trigirl Click to send private message to trigirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Burnett in the Cutting Room"
Any longtime Survivor fans who can comment on Burnett's editing style? Seems to me that JD has been cast as the villain and Suzie as the damsel in distress. Yet, audience members of the live show indicate that there may be a little influencing editing going on. Any thoughts?

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room shanana banana 08-31-05 1
 RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room olnrerunqueen 08-31-05 2
   RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room cycles2k 08-31-05 3
       RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room grit 08-31-05 4
           RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room LaLaLisa 08-31-05 5
               RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room CattyChat 09-03-05 7
 RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room trigirl 09-03-05 6
   RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room Loree 09-03-05 8
       RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room Snidget 09-03-05 9
           RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room Loree 09-03-05 10
               RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room Snidget 09-03-05 11
   RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room LaLaLisa 09-04-05 12
       RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room trigirl 09-05-05 13
           RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room cheesybread 09-06-05 14
               RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room nashtheslash 09-06-05 15
 RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room LaLaLisa 09-07-05 16
   RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room Loree 09-07-05 17
       RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room LaLaLisa 09-07-05 18
           RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room geg6 09-07-05 19
 RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room LaLaLisa 09-07-05 20
 RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room LaLaLisa 09-07-05 21

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

shanana banana 658 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

08-31-05, 12:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shanana%20banana Click to send private message to shanana%20banana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room"
Oh, I agree Burnett loves that edit room. He loves shaping a show into a story with big drama and xxx versus xxx.

However, what I really wish is that he'd cut Brooke Burke out and leave her on the cutting room floor. She is the WORST host of any reality show ever. She can't even pronounce the band's name right -- "welcome to Rock Star: INEXSHUS" --- or speak clearly! And she sounds like she reads everything in a monotone straight off the teleprompter. Simply being hot is not enough.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

olnrerunqueen 4 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

08-31-05, 02:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail olnrerunqueen Click to send private message to olnrerunqueen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room"
Yes, Burnett is the king of editing. However, I don't think you can compare how Survivor is edited to how RS:INXS is being edited.

With Survivor, all 39 days are taped, plus the pre and post 39 days. EPMB knows ultimately who the winner is, who falters along the way, and who has reasons to be despised. The show doesn't air until months after the final votes were cast. His team has watched the contestants 24-7 and understands which "character" they best fit in to. However, throughout Survivor, I think EPMB has done a good job of portraying at least a portion of each contestant's personality relatively accurately. He may choose to leave certain sides of them on the cutting room floor, but if you were a pain in the arse, he shows it. Theoretically, he is providing the Readers Digest Condensed Story version of the full Survivor experience. Just enough to intrigue and entertain.

With RS:INXS, EPMB is reduced to some quick editing time. The performance shows aren't necessarily live, but they didn't happen two months ago. In addition, he can't change the performance, or the comments that come out of the contestants mouths during the performance shows. He can, however, take the feedback from the house camera feeds and show each contestant's personality.

Thus said, I think JD is an untrustworthy instigator who is difficult to live with and only looking out for himself, and no one else. I think Suzie is somewhat the damsel in distress. But remember, we were the ones that cast the votes to put her in the bottom 3 for weeks on end, not EPMB.

As we get to the bottom 6, it's difficult to expect that the crew and bands don't know these people. For example, I can't see that EPMB could portray JD in such a negative light if there wasn't already something to work with.

Yes his editing is going to influence us somewhat. We don't see all the footage his group does. But I think the majority of voters are doing so based upon performances (last week's Jordis thing in the only kink in that theory). If the performances are worthy, it won't matter if the public thinks you are in trouble, or an a$$.

Plus, INXS will ultimately choose the winner. They have to spend studio time, practice time, and almost 24-7 during tour time, with the winner. Yes this is a talent show. But ultimately, if I were in INXS, I would also be considering who I could spend a LARGE portion of my time with. This isn't just working together, like the person in the cube next to you. This is someone they are going to almost live with while on tour. This is someone they are going to collaborate with, share inner thoughts with, have good times and bad times with. Each contestants personality makes a HUGE impact on their decision. Most especially in the next few eliminations, when the majority of the contestants have proven the chops to sing INXS.

cycles2k 538 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

08-31-05, 02:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cycles2k Click to send private message to cycles2k Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room"
It is my understanding that MB uses psychologists to choose people with exagerated personality traits consistent with Games theory for Survivor. He then appears to edit the tapes to demonstrate those personality styles. Villians are typically win-lose types and any indication of human kindness probably ends up on the floor. IMO that would explain why the tribal council people describe an entirely different person than we see.

He doesn't have that opportunity with this show because talent was the key to selection. Profiling is out of the question but editing is available.

With JD we seem to see every sour look when anyone else gets positive feedback but it is hard to tell if the sour look actually happened at the time of the comment. If the post performance comments are edited, we may only see his worst lines. That said, other performers described JD as a troublemaker so he does provide the material for MB to use.

I think the same thing applies to Suzie. We see her emotional behaviour and mood swings which play to the damsel role.

Probably it is an emotional time for all performers. JD may be less villanous than we see and Suzie may exhibit only slightly more emotion than others.

Still, I dislike JD's personality and hope he leaves soon.

grit 4866 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

08-31-05, 03:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail grit Click to send private message to grit Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room"
Don't forget, too, that MB can't show us anything that didn't happen. He can't make up a sour look or nasty comment in the editing room. So if a contestant says something nasty, they should expect that it might be edited into the show.

When Deana was cut, everyone was crying except for JD. I watched carefully when the camera panned over their faces. Yes, JD is right - it's a contest where there will be only one winner and he wants it to be him. However, that doesn't mean that he needs to be emotionally removed from the rest of the contestants. Each contestant is very talented in his/her own way and I think it is cool to see them all supporting and caring for each other, even in spite of the fact that they are all competing against each other. I think that those tears are both in sadness for their fallen friend and relief that they weren't the ones cut. It really bothers me that JD has totally shut himself out from the people aspect of this contest. In my eyes, he would be more humanized if he showed a little emotional connection with these people he's living with.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

LaLaLisa 296 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

08-31-05, 04:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LaLaLisa Click to send private message to LaLaLisa Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room"
Just because JD didn't cry does not mean he wasn't very sad to see her go. Not all people respond the same way. I know plenty of men who never tear up no matter how upset they are.

Back to the editing - yes, he can't put something there that didn't happen, but going back to the whole song writing contest. It was definitely played as JD as the villian. The fact that Jordis kept flat out criticizing and rejecting what he wrote? Then Marty added his criticism?

What about Suzie's comments the very first week to Marty about his voice being scratchy? What about Jordis talking smack on her log.

Yes JD could have said he hasn't had to learn all the INXS songs without mentioning that the others did need to learn them. He tried to soften it by complimenting and saying "no disrespect" but clearly they were ticked, and I can see why. He should've just kept his comments on his own peformance.

Other than that, has he really said anything to cut down/undercut anyone???? He's expressed confidence in himself. He works alone. He defended his writing to Jordis & Marty. What exactly has he done that's villianous? One comment about them needing to learn songs - which is a fact, not an opinion and one I'm sure INXS already knew - doesn't make him a villian.

I get that people find him abrasive - but he's not mean, not trying to hurt anyone. He's not calling anyone names, stealing their music, depriving them of sleep or any other nefarious things - hell, he HELPED Suzie (or was it one of the other blondes?) with her arrangement.

CattyChat 3379 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

09-03-05, 11:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail CattyChat Click to send private message to CattyChat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room"
You said it well, sister, LaLaLisa. I agree with all that you said. Yes, it was Suzie who J.D. helped re-arrange her song & she had a great performance & INXS commented that the arrangement showcased her vocal abilities well. If J.D. is so horrible, why would he help out a competitor?

Also, people can have their varying opinions on what they may dislike like J.D., but like you said, Lisa, and I have also been saying all along, J.D. has not criticized or bad mouthed any other contestant, unlike many of these other rockers. So, IMO he is not as bad as people are trying to make him out to be.

So, he didn't tear up about Deanna. First of all, we only saw a brief flash of him & don't have all the facts/info. Maybe he teared up later? Maybe he & Deanna didn't get along that well & he was glad to see her go? Maybe J.D. is like A LOT of men who doesn't cry at the drop of the hat? He is trying to be seen as a rocker, do we really want to see our rockers crying like babies? I think not, we like the rough, tough, sexy, bad boys as our rock icons.

People are too quick to rush to judgment and allow themselves to be manipulated by artful editing and that's just sad. When I hear J.D. make a snide comment about another or is shown trying to sabotage someone, then I might rethink my opinions on J.D. Right now, I just think MB needed a villian to spice things up & J.D. was the closest he could come & I find the attempts pathetic at the moment.

Ciao, Ciao, Ciao!

09-03-05, 09:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail trigirl Click to send private message to trigirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room"
Shanana Banana said on another post that she thinks JD is being set up for a 'redemption edit'. If that happens I will puke....not because I don't like JD, I do...but because I will feel this is so manipulated and contrived!

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-03-05, 11:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room"
I always wonder if INXS has definitely made up their mind and they know exactly who they want. If so, did they tell MB who they want and he is safe to portray the others whatever way he wants? As it gets to the end they have to be careful. INXS can really alienate fans if they are not careful. I already hear alot of people saying they will not have anything to do with INXS if they pick a singer they now hate. And that they will hate INXS if they dump their personal fave. Fans have really started to make their choices and INXS has to walk a fine line not to make the fans of the show dislike them if they pick someone that makes the fans upset. How do they make everyone happy? They can't.

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

09-03-05, 12:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room"
No matter who they pick someone's gonna be unhappy. What they need to do, in my opinion, is find who they want to work with then just make sure once the show is over they put out some great music.

Even if a good portion at the end of the show do the "I will never buy any of their music again if X wins" thing most of that reaction is short lived and if the music they put out is good all will be forgiven. It is like a lot of the long running reality series. Every year it seems the majority of the fans do the since X won I'll never watch again and every year the ratings are just as good, and most of those people come bace and checking the archives you'd find a lot of them post here and we got the documentation to prove they came right back.

Where is Mr Potter when you need him?

09-03-05, 12:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room"
Oh I understand what you mean Snidget. But if I don't like who wins Survivor I can just forget about them. And that person is not on the next season of Survivor. And I can continue to watch.

But INXS is counting on the fans to spend money on them and their winner after this. And if people are unhappy with the result they will not spend money on the CDs and concerts. We don't have to follow the careers of the people that win other reality shows if we didn't like them. But INXS wants the fans of the show to stay invested in them. And that isn't going to happen if the fans have a bad taste in their mouth because they don't agree with the result at the end.

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

09-03-05, 01:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room"
I assume that no one they pick would be universally hated, anyone they pick will have some fans (after all America votes in this thing so it should take some fan base to keep moving through to the end, right). Now some may have more fans that will buy the record no matter how bad it is, but that is life. With a band the fit of singer to band can really make a difference for how much the music rocks or svcks. I'd pick who I felt would with this band would be most likely to make music that rocks, and screw the opinion of a few percentage of people watching the show. But that is me.

I mean I have bought music from people I don't like as people because the record is just that good. I won't buy music of people I like if the record svcks (and won't see them in concert if the music that gets put out after the show svcks). That has been a problem for me with American Idol. I buy the music that I like when it comes out, not who I voted for on the show. And it has really varied. Some I really loved on the show I can't stand a single note they have sung since. I won't buy the record you put out because I loved the song you sang in week whatever of a TV show.

Picking the most popular person may buy them a few extra record sales or concert ticket for a year or so, but if the fit with the band svcks and the music isn't good those few fans rabid enough to buy anything they put out because their person won won't make up for the rest of the people who may not have followed the show avoiding them like the plague. I also believe if what the person does with the opportunity matter and if they make some really kick ass music with the band, they will win back a lot of people who currently hate them with a passion.

A Syren Creation

09-04-05, 03:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LaLaLisa Click to send private message to LaLaLisa Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room"
>Shanana Banana said on another post that she thinks JD is
>being set up for a 'redemption edit'. If that happens I will puke....not because I don't like JD, I do...but because I will feel
>this is so manipulated and contrived!
>
Yeah, but the whole show is manipulated and contrived. I think of it like professional wrestling. They always make a good story (unlike a 3-3 tie football game - how boring is that?)

You could look at like they are testing his mettle. Kinda like they did with Marty and the screaming. You could look at it like they really are considering JD but are concerned about all this talk about his personality/attitude/drama so they want to see what he's like if pushed.

As someone else wrote, you never hear anything about JD and tension with the house band. I bet INXS puts a LOT of weight on what they report because really, it's all about how the singer gels with the band, not with a bunch of people that stand between him and his dream.

09-05-05, 10:28 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room"
I bet INXS puts a LOT of weight on what they (the house band) report because really, it's all about how the singer gels with the band.

You are so right. I wish we saw more of the House Band and their comments. I like on the Monday night show we get a glimpse into the rehearsals.

cheesybread 198 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

09-06-05, 04:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cheesybread Click to send private message to cheesybread Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room"

"I wish we saw more of the House Band and their comments."

Really? I find Paul kind of annoying. He always states his opinion as fact. I'd just like to see him give the singer more benefit of the doubt. But then again we probably only see him when there are issues and struggles with a song. (Again never with JD!) So maybe it's more of the editing delema. But I am very impressed with the band. Escpecially after Bohemian Rapsody. I think Suzie kind of sucked but the band was awesome!

nashtheslash 10 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

09-06-05, 05:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nashtheslash Click to send private message to nashtheslash Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room"
Well looks as if Jordis got the bad end of the editing stick this week - wow did they make her look bad all show long -
- lacking confidence
- bad in the photo shoot
- claiming she should have been gone
- totally clue less with the band on her original song ....

I think Jordis is done this week - she is too young and knows nothing about music other than having a good voice.

09-07-05, 09:31 AM (EST)
16. "RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room"
If anyone questions that JD has been the frontrunner all along, I think this editing job shows it. I'm not saying the fix is in, I'm just saying MB handicapped this race and picked JD to be the favorite.

What a great story line - he comes on strong, full of bravado, soars high. Then soars to close to the sun, falters, looks down for the count, might he be voted off??? Stay tuned, don't leave your seats. Wait, what's that??? The Prodigal Son returns, galloping in from stage right, kicking @ss and taking initials - he doesn't have time to take names.

I think MB didn't want him to run away with it so used all this bad boy stuff to keep people involved and guessing. How much of this show/boards/blogs are about JD??

And have you seen the CBS web site? I never looked until last night. They have titles for all of the shows (below.) You notice how no one is mentioned by name except when they leave? Besides JD, that is?

WEEK 09
09.06 | Battle of the Originals
09.04 | And Then There Were Five
WEEK 08
08.31 | Goodbye, Ty
08.30 | The Good News & ...
08.28 | Mig vs. Suzie Part Deux
WEEK 07
08.24 | Deanna's Dream Deferred
08.23 | Jordis In Jeopardy?
08.22 | You Can't Always Get...
WEEK 06
08.17 | Jessica's Journey Over
08.16 | The Hot Seat
08.14 | J.D. Discord Continues
WEEK 05
08.10 | Brandon Bids Adieu
08.09 | The Comeback
08.07 | J.D.'s Center of the World
WEEK 04
08.03 | Three Strikes & Tara's Out
08.02 | Down to Ten
08.01 | J.D.'s Dastardly Deeds...
WEEK 03
07.27 | Daphna & Heather Gone
07.26 | J.D.'s Notes Fall Flat
07.25 | J.D.’s Fortunes at Risk?
WEEK 02
07.20 | Neal’s Nixed
07.19 | Style Versus Substance
07.18 | The One I Don't Love
WEEK 01
07.13 | Wil Gets Cut
07.12 | Rock the Vote
07.11 | Dana Dismissed

09-07-05, 10:16 AM (EST)
17. "RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room"
I always notice that every time a singer leaves the show they are asked about JD in their interviews. All the media keeps talking about JD. The shots of the Rockers during the show are always cutting to JD for his expression. Win or Lose the role with INXS, he has already been made the star of this series.

09-07-05, 10:24 AM (EST)
18. "RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room"
I know and I LOVE IT. I especially love it on the boards when people go on and on about how they can't stand him blah blah blah and yet they CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT HIM. Muwahahahahah

Don't know why he is ever in the bottom 3.

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

09-07-05, 10:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room"
Word.

If he's so annoying, talentless, and ugly, why do you keep talking and talking and talking about him? Hmmmmmm.

I'm such a slut for the blues.

09-07-05, 05:06 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room"
Now, this may be wacky but I've been thinking more and more about how JD was the only one playing to win in the beginning. It reminds me of another show similar to this, Project Runway. It was for designers and again it was based on merit with outside judges. There was one contestant, Wendy, who was playing Survival style and the rest weren't and she ended up being the villian of the show.

It strikes me as odd that in both cases that an entire group would be thinking one way except for one person. Do you think that they are coached or prepped for this? Not necessarily, them against everyone else, but maybe they are told this is how it's done and assume everyone else is being told the same thing. In the confessionals, we never hear the questions, you know, only the answers.

09-07-05, 05:34 PM (EST)
21. "RE: Burnett in the Cutting Room"
Ok, I just need to stop reading the CBS website because it makes me so mad!!!

Dinner table toasting Ty:
"Jordis breaks down in tears, devastated that “I blew it, and he went home today…It should’ve never been Ty...it should’ve been me.” As usual J.D. redirects the sentimental moment back to the competition, telling Jordis, “What you feel inside of yourself right now is totally your own doing. We all had an underwhelming performance.” He urges her to channel the anguish into a great performance next time. J.D.’s advice aside, Jordis still feels, “I’ve been on a downward spiral from where I started.” In confessional, she admits, “I choked a little bit--or maybe a lot."

Photo shoot:
"J.D. is first. Always the competitor, he seeks Nathaniel’s tips on doing the shoot."

Song selection:
"Jordis gets J.D.’s “We Are the Champions.” In fact, a New Zealand fan notes it should be Jordis, because “she’s the only one that can give the song the justice it deserves.” J.D. doesn’t look too happy with that comment, as the others tease her about being an international sensation."

Oh, yeah - that would be the part where JD was HUGGING her!!!
COME ON!!!!! They are as bad as any JD hater out there - twisting everything to make him out to be evil!!!!!!!!

Okay. I'll calm down now.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •