The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Don't Understand INXS"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Rock Star (Protected)
Original message

leianawd 471 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

08-17-05, 02:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail leianawd Click to send private message to leianawd Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Don't Understand INXS"
Usually INXS voices the same opinions that I do about the rockers performances but I was a bit confused about the comment they made to J.D and by the look on his face it appeared he was too. I thought that they wanted J.D. to put more emphasis on the song opposed to his performance. I felt that he did just that and sang the song wonderfully and yet they were not satisfied.
  Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Don't Understand INXS Majic Mitch 08-17-05 1
 RE: Don't Understand INXS photokitty 08-17-05 2
 RE: Don't Understand INXS CattyChat 08-17-05 3
   RE: Don't Understand INXS geg6 08-17-05 4
       RE: Don't Understand INXS ginger 08-17-05 5
           RE: Don't Understand INXS calichica 08-17-05 6
               RE: Don't Understand INXS Cathy the Canadian 08-17-05 7
                   RE: Don't Understand INXS Loree 08-18-05 13
                       RE: Don't Understand INXS Hoobie 08-18-05 14
                           RE: Don't Understand INXS tamarama 08-18-05 16
                               RE: Don't Understand INXS weltek 08-19-05 27
               RE: Don't Understand INXS KittyMeghanLeah2 08-18-05 10
               RE: Don't Understand INXS's JD Lightening_Odd 08-18-05 25
   RE: Don't Understand INXS cycles2k 08-17-05 8
       RE: Don't Understand INXS KittyMeghanLeah2 08-18-05 11
 RE: Don't Understand INXS KittyMeghanLeah2 08-18-05 9
   RE: Don't Understand INXS Wacko Jacko 08-18-05 12
       RE: Don't Understand INXS Lightening_Odd 08-18-05 24
           RE: Don't Understand INXS weltek 08-19-05 28
               RE: Don't Understand INXS Wacko Jacko 08-19-05 30
   RE: Don't Understand INXS Hoobie 08-18-05 15
       RE: Don't Understand INXS CBRetriever 08-18-05 17
 a windy tirade on the suckitude of ... tamarama 08-18-05 18
   RE: a windy tirade on the suckitude... photokitty 08-18-05 19
       RE: a windy tirade on the suckitude... toddE 08-18-05 20
           RE: a windy tirade on the suckitude... tamarama 08-18-05 21
               RE: a windy tirade on the suckitude... Dorian 08-18-05 23
   RE: a windy tirade on the suckitude... shanana banana 08-18-05 22
   RE: a windy tirade on the suckitude... Cassandra 08-18-05 26
       RE: a windy tirade on the suckitude... leianawd 08-25-05 31
           skill & originality are not mutuall... tamarama 08-25-05 32
       RE: a windy tirade on the suckitude... Lisa0116 08-25-05 33
           RE: a windy tirade on the suckitude... leianawd 08-26-05 34
   RE: a windy tirade on the suckitude... weltek 08-19-05 29

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Majic Mitch 474 desperate attention whore postings

08-17-05, 03:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Majic%20Mitch Click to send private message to Majic%20Mitch Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Don't Understand INXS"
The panel seems to be split 50/50 amost as much as the viewing public. Where half love 'em, half hate 'em.

Count me in the first half, he ROCKS!

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

photokitty 298 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

08-17-05, 03:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail photokitty Click to send private message to photokitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Don't Understand INXS"
Well, I think I get it...JD seemed like his usual self, especially in the last half, when he got up to work the crowd.
It's like, he wasn't able to just sing the song--he couldn't let the song be the center of attention, he had to overpower it...Maybe their comments had more to do with their own hopes and expectations--I think they wanted to hear JD sing it sweetly, like Mick Jagger did, and JD put a hard edge on it, like Axel Rose would have.

Anyway, that's my attempt at interpretation. It wasn't everyone in the band, though--Tim said he was convinced, and that JD did a good job on the song.

CattyChat 3379 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

08-17-05, 03:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CattyChat Click to send private message to CattyChat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Don't Understand INXS"
I was surprised by the lukewarm responses, except for Tim's praise. I thought he did pretty good, not his best, but it was really good.

I figured that maybe it's because overall, J.D. has been getting good feedback from Dave & INXS for everything he has done so far, even the stuff to rile up the other rockers, so maybe they are trying to not overly stroke his ego, so to speak.

Also, I think they have really high expectations from him and he is a serious contender, so any criticism is only going to help him get even better, keep him on his toes and not let him get "too comfortable."

If you notice, some of the other performers in the past, on not so great performances, INXS was "kind" in their remarks. It won't help them get better and I think INXS just wanted to be nice & send them on their way.

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-17-05, 04:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Don't Understand INXS"
As I keep find myself saying...

Ditto, la chat.

I'm such a slut for the blues.

ginger 22511 desperate attention whore postings

08-17-05, 05:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Don't Understand INXS"
Frankly, the only interesting version of that song IMHO was Marianne Faithful's, anyway.

I used to sing it as a lullabye - it has that dronishness.

calichica 5 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

08-17-05, 07:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail calichica Click to send private message to calichica Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Don't Understand INXS"
I think JD's version was actually pretty interesting. He's the only one there who has even a drop of charisma - he just needs to back it with more consistent vocals. I know people diss him for the songwriting clinic stuff, but think: if a young Michael Hutchence was auditioning on this show, do you honestly think he would give a &$@* about being friends with everybody?? Doubt it. JD gets that and BTW, it's more individualism than selfishness, IMO.

In other news, Mig was great, really transcended himself. But he plays it too safe most of the time. I think Suzie did a great job but she can't move around on stage, apparently(ditto Jordis). Marty should be in a grungier band than INXS. And for some reason, Ty leaves me cold as a woman - zero sexual energy emanating from him. I think he must have a lot of mannered theatrical training - really a shame, as it masks his real persona (whatever that is).

Cathy the Canadian 599 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

08-17-05, 09:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cathy%20the%20Canadian Click to send private message to Cathy%20the%20Canadian Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Don't Understand INXS"
Welcome to the boards Calichica.

I agree with your assessment 100%.

Marty is a one trick pony. He didn't listen to what INXS wrote with their song choice for him - that they wanted him to lighten up and not be so serious. I thought his version was pretty cool, but they didn't give him that song because they wanted to hear grunge again. I thought they would have said as much.

With Mig, I don't think it's so much that he plays it safe, as that he's too sweet. He has no edge.

Ty has a beautiful voice, but I agree his performances leave me wanting.

And J.D. wants this more than anyone. It all goes back to what Dave Navaro said: the others are auditioning for A band, J.D. is auditioning for THIS band. The others are looking for a stepping stone for their own careers. J.D. will stay with this band as long as they'll have him.

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings

08-18-05, 10:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Don't Understand INXS"
>
>With Mig, I don't think it's
>so much that he plays
>it safe, as that he's
>too sweet. He has
>no edge.

I think of MiG as the Anti-JD. JD doesn't care what the others think of him. He is in a competition to win. MiG seems more concerned with being Mr Nice Guy. He wants to be liked. He was horrified when the reporters told JD he wasn't liked and MiG immediately felt bad and apologized to JD. When MiG is given the encore he couldn't just enjoy the moment and perform. He had to call Marty and Jordis up on stage with him. I don't remember Marty or Jordis inviting MiG on stage for their encores. But MiG didn't want to look better than them and cause jealousy. He wanted the other Top 3 on stage too. I would like to see MiG with more edge. As Dave said he needs to drink some vodka and show some edge. I can't imagine MiG singing a song with any anger in it. It is almost like MiG thinks he is going to win for being the nicest guy. I think INXS is looking for a singer not a best friend.

Hoobie 569 desperate attention whore postings

08-18-05, 12:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Hoobie Click to send private message to Hoobie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Don't Understand INXS"
That is very well said. Regarding the encore, however...it really seemed to me that it was pre-planned. How did Jordis and Marty know which parts to jump in at and which parts to give to Mig? Yeah, I know that Mig could have told them just to do the chorus, but even at the end, when they were oohing, it seemed rehearsed.

tamarama 1785 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

08-18-05, 12:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tamarama Click to send private message to tamarama Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Don't Understand INXS"
re: the encore being pre-planned, and not happening previously.

When Marty & Jordis did their encores, no one knew who the top 3 were. Last night was the first time they announced that.

As for the harmonies -- singers do that all the time -- improvising harmony to a very well known classic isn't all that hard.

weltek 16933 desperate attention whore postings

08-19-05, 10:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Don't Understand INXS"
Except there was a part at the end where they should've both jumped in, but without hestiation, they let Mig sing it himself.
The fact that neither even looked at eachother like "should we?"
gave it away for me.

KittyMeghanLeah2 52 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

08-18-05, 04:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KittyMeghanLeah2 Click to send private message to KittyMeghanLeah2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Don't Understand INXS"
I agree about TY.. I mean I know exactly what he is going to do so I don't bother looking on the TV screen just hear him sing and finish it.. It's getting too "rewind, press play"

Lightening_Odd 3 desperate attention whore postings

08-18-05, 06:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Lightening_Odd Click to send private message to Lightening_Odd Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Don't Understand INXS's JD"
JD has but a drop of charisma.

cycles2k 538 desperate attention whore postings

08-17-05, 09:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cycles2k Click to send private message to cycles2k Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Don't Understand INXS"
I no longer really enjoy watching JD so I thought the band's remarks were spot on.

08-18-05, 04:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KittyMeghanLeah2 Click to send private message to KittyMeghanLeah2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Don't Understand INXS"
I don't enjoy watching JD cuz I'm scared of what he's going to do, but hmmn.. it's like watching a car accident you can't help but watch to see what will happen.

08-18-05, 03:59 AM (EST)
9. "RE: Don't Understand INXS"
Perhaps they know something we don't know? After all, we don't get to see the practice performances. Humming... See another perplexing aspect of the JD.. by the way what does the "J and D" stand for?

Wacko Jacko 2434 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

08-18-05, 09:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Wacko%20Jacko Click to send private message to Wacko%20Jacko Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Don't Understand INXS"
I thought JD performance was subpar. Right up there with We Are The Champions. I felt he at times struggled to get his words out. It was especially hard hitting because everyone else was getting praise. Some of those unrightfully getting praise. I don't think he deserved to be the only getting the bad criticism. Deanna later got some too, but mostly brought it on herself.

I wonder, though. Remember this show is taped. Maybe CBS is doing the same thing they did when they showed him in the bottom five. I have a feeling that we are not shown all the comments made by the band. I think CBS decided to show the negative because they love working the JD angle....as the villian.

Lightening_Odd 3 desperate attention whore postings

08-18-05, 06:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Lightening_Odd Click to send private message to Lightening_Odd Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Don't Understand INXS"
>CBS is doing the same thing they did when they showed him in the bottom five. I have a feeling that we are not shown all the comments made by the band. I think CBS decided to show the negative because they love working the JD angle....as the villian.

Actually I was at the preformance and as usual they do edit out band members comments. Each actually comments on every performer. Only a few make it to the air. And at Sunday's taping (airing Tuesday night) JD sang very poorly. Every member of the band commented on his performance and were negative. JD began to blame the microphone then.... he tried to blame the HouseBand. All of this was edited out. If the world saw this go down then only his relatives would have voted for him.

08-19-05, 10:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Don't Understand INXS"
Um, but one band member actually made a positive comment out of the three we saw (Tim, I think)?

Sorry if I'm questioning your perceptions, but your "Mig spoiler" appears to have some holes in it.

Wacko Jacko 2434 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

08-19-05, 11:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Wacko%20Jacko Click to send private message to Wacko%20Jacko Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: Don't Understand INXS"
I think his comments about editing the comments we hear on tv tells a lot. Things could be positioned how CBS, Burnett want it too.

As for the MiG Theory, I think MiG is a lock to be the winner. Whether or not their are holes in his theory. Could CBS have chosen candidates that would all MiG to shine I suppose. A female won't win so knock out half of the competition there. Then looks at the Males....I will only talk about the 4 we have left.

JD - seems like a soap opera character too much drama
Marty - seems to only like performing Grunge - which INXS is not. Where is Marty's soul???
Ty - he has things working against him too, although I really like him.

MiG will be the winner and I would call it a lock at this point.

Hoobie 569 desperate attention whore postings

08-18-05, 12:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Hoobie Click to send private message to Hoobie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Don't Understand INXS"
Not sure about the "D", but I swear I heard Jessica refer to him as "Jason" a few weeks back.

CBRetriever 24 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

08-18-05, 01:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CBRetriever Click to send private message to CBRetriever Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Don't Understand INXS"
Saw on another message board that his real name is Jason Bennison

08-18-05, 01:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tamarama Click to send private message to tamarama Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "a windy tirade on the suckitude of JD"
I was more surprised by the positive comments he got. I thought his performance was all kinda suck.

The band wanted him to be more sincere, more real, less of a 'performance'. This is basically the same thing they have said to Ty in the past -- except that they gave Ty herpes by using the word "theatrical." Now everybody calls Ty "theatrical" like the word is an insult.

Dave made an excellent comment when Ty really hit it with "No Woman No Cry". He said something like "I saw a passionate guy rather than a guy portraying passion."

I believe this is what they were looking for from JD. Not JD doing his "rock star spaz" thing, but JD really feeling the song. I don't think he pulled it off - it felt really phony to me, especially the "for the children" crap and the mild seizure he had at one point.

A thought about his being difficult, pouty, not a team-player:
INXS has been around for decades. They've been through the "New Rock Star" stage, they're older, they have families. Do they really want to hang around with someone who's yet to go through any of it? (And JD's probably itching to throw back some Jack in the green room with a bunch of groupies.) Especially since INXS formed organically -- they were friends or chose to work together, and they've had years to learn to work well as a team. Are they really going to want to work with someone who can't even spend one day working in a team even when he was specifically told that teamwork was the whole point of the exercise? You say you want this JD? Then suck it up & do what they ask you to do!

The thing that should be the most elementary is that HE DOESN'T SING WELL. He just doesn't. EVERY time he tries to sing softly he has major pitch problems, major control issues, he can't sustain notes, and his voice sounds completely different than when he's belting - like a different person. Yes, he can belt - and he belts fairly well. (eh, so what? singing softly is harder.)

One last thing....WHY ON EARTH does it matter if "He wants it more"?

First of all, prove it. Prove he wants it more than any of the others. OR, is it just that the others behave like adults, like professionals...so JD's little tantrums & episodes just look like stronger desire...or uh, 'cause he SAID he wants it more?

But most of all, since when is "wanting it more" criteria for choosing a winner? Or choosing a job candidate? This is a talent-based competition. This isn't "Queen for a Day".

photokitty 298 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

08-18-05, 04:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail photokitty Click to send private message to photokitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: a windy tirade on the suckitude of JD"
Yes. YES. YES!!

I agree with every single point you made.

toddE 1433 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

08-18-05, 04:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail toddE Click to send private message to toddE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: a windy tirade on the suckitude of JD"
Me too.

And I'd like to add that part of the reason he does it is to cover his limited vocals. He is canny.

08-18-05, 05:11 PM (EST)
21. "RE: a windy tirade on the suckitude of JD"
Wow.

Thanks for the love Todd & Photokitty!

(now I brace myself for the JD-lovers to smack me...)

Dorian 15 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

08-18-05, 06:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Dorian Click to send private message to Dorian Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: a windy tirade on the suckitude of JD"
No need to brace. Your tirade is exactly what I would have to say about a couple of the others if I felt so inclinced. Every one has a right to their wind.

I simply feel the opposite about J.D.

shanana banana 658 desperate attention whore postings

08-18-05, 05:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shanana%20banana Click to send private message to shanana%20banana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: a windy tirade on the suckitude of JD"
I do like JD but I agree with everything you wrote, Tamarama. lol

Cassandra 46 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

08-18-05, 10:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cassandra Click to send private message to Cassandra Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: a windy tirade on the suckitude of JD"
Amen, sister Tamarama! What she said!

I can't wait until J.D. has to sing an INXS song. If it's rangy at all or a ballad, he's gonna murderize it. We'll find out how much they're protecting him when he hits the bottom three.

Never thought of Mick Jagger as a ballad singer but when listening to J.D., I kept thinking how much more kindness and tenderness was in his voice verses J.D on the same song.

08-25-05, 04:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail leianawd Click to send private message to leianawd Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: a windy tirade on the suckitude of JD"
So what if he can't make certain ranges. The way I feel is I would rather him not make all the ranges in his voice then to sound like a duplicate of someone else who has already made it. When I buy a cd I want someone who is original not a good impersonator.

08-25-05, 05:16 PM (EST)
32. "skill & originality are not mutually exclusive"
Having a sizable range and good technique has nothing to do with being original or an impersonator.

In fact, I would argue that the bigger your range and better your technique, the more opportunity you have to be unique, to be an original -- you have more & better tools in your toolbox.

Still, this is apples/oranges :: skill/originality.

Lisa0116 688 desperate attention whore postings

08-25-05, 05:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Lisa0116 Click to send private message to Lisa0116 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: a windy tirade on the suckitude of JD"
>Amen, sister Tamarama! What she
>said!
>
>I can't wait until J.D. has
>to sing an INXS song.
> If it's rangy at
>all or a ballad, he's
>gonna murderize it. We'll
>find out how much they're
>protecting him when he hits
>the bottom three.
>
>Never thought of Mick Jagger as
>a ballad singer but when
>listening to J.D., I kept
>thinking how much more kindness
>and tenderness was in his
>voice verses J.D on the
>same song.

AMEN AMEN and AMEN!!!

JD and his palsy moves really gross me out. Let's face it-old "Fortune" shouldn't be trying to wave gang signs like he is a card carrying cryp or blood-he is probably more of a "subdivisions" guy. I also believe that INXS has said more than once that they are not looking for a singer-they are looking for a band mate-someone to join their groove. If he doesn't work and play well with others, how exactly will that help a band?? He would stomp off pouting because they won't arrange things the way he wants to sing them. Just my opinion-no singers were harmed while forming this opinion.

08-26-05, 09:25 AM (EST)
34. "RE: a windy tirade on the suckitude of JD"
Personally, I think J.D. would do better making it on his own in fact I think they all would since it is hard to join an already famous band replacing their lead singer.

08-19-05, 10:12 AM (EST)
29. "RE: a windy tirade on the suckitude of JD"
As someone who interviews job candidates, I think wanting it more makes a big difference. If skills & talents are about equal, desire & passion can get you the job. It shows you'll be loyal and hardworking.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •