The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Latest Updates on Season One Fighters"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Contender Forum (Protected)
Original message

VegasFightWriter 218 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

08-13-05, 12:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail VegasFightWriter Click to send private message to VegasFightWriter Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Latest Updates on Season One Fighters"
The next fight card featuring Season one Contenders is now supposed to take place on October 15th., although we've heard such promises before. The card is theoretically being aired on ESPN2, I believe.

The headline bout is slated as Sergio Mora vs. Peter Manfredo, Jr.

Other bouts include:
Alfonso Gomez vs Jeff Fraza
Juan De La Rosa vs Brent Cooper
Jesse Brinkley vs Anthony Bonsante or Jonathan Reid (I believe).

And I have lost count at this point who else is or is not fighting. I believe Tarick is slated to fight, either Anthony or Jonathan. Or perhaps Miguel. I don't know.

As you all know, Joey Gilbert, Ahmed Kaddour, and Jimmy Lange are no longer under contract to The Contender. Ishe Smith has filed for his release from the show, and his case is currently under arbitration with the California State Athletic Commission. During the two months the case is under arbitration, he is free to take fights elsewhere, although at the moment he is taking some time to consider his future.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Latest Updates on Season One Fi... eeler1 08-13-05 1
   RE: Latest Updates on Season One Fi... VegasFightWriter 08-13-05 2
       RE: Latest Updates on Season One Fi... eeler1 08-13-05 3
       RE: Latest Updates on Season One Fi... Wacko Jacko 08-16-05 4
           RE: Latest Updates on Season One Fi... VegasFightWriter 08-17-05 5
 RE: Latest Updates on Season One Fi... djh 08-18-05 6
 RE: Latest Updates on Season One Fi... roondawg 08-18-05 7
   RE: Latest Updates on Season One Fi... VegasFightWriter 08-18-05 8
       RE: Latest Updates on Season One Fi... Wacko Jacko 08-18-05 9

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

eeler1 23 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

08-13-05, 03:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail eeler1 Click to send private message to eeler1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Latest Updates on Season One Fighters"
VFW:

If you don't mind, could you explain what arbitration is in this instance? I'm totally unfamiliar with the term, at least in boxing, the process, and how or why Ishe is pursuing it. Or maybe Burnett is arbitrating on Ishe? Don't mean to impose on you, its just a total unknown to me.

And thanks for the update, you've got a good track record, so I expect this is the best info until formal announcements are made by the promoters.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

08-13-05, 03:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail VegasFightWriter Click to send private message to VegasFightWriter Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Latest Updates on Season One Fighters"
It is not a process with which I am terribly familiar, either, but based on a conversation I had with Ishe just now, this is how I think it goes down in this particular instance.

Basically, Ishe signed a contract in California with The Contender guys, which is why the California Commission is arbitrating this. His contract runs through (I believe) May 2006. However, (as I understand it, and I may be wrong) Ishe is filing a grievance to the effect that the contract is violating his rights as a boxer under the Ali Act and that it is deleterious to his career at this point, in that he is not being promoted to the same extent as jesse, Peter, Sergio, and Alfonso, that he is only allowed to fight other Contender fighters over 5 or 7 rounds, and that therefore his career is being held back. Among other thigs, The Contender folks have said that they will never allow their fighters to fight for any world title belts (WBA, WBC, IBF etc) because those belts are "crooked." They only want their fighters to fight for The Contender belt. In other words, they are promoting fighters and effectively operating their own sanctioning body, which would be a clear violation of the Ali Act.

It is now up to the California Commission to decide whether Ishe has a case, in which case they should rule he is a free agent, or that Burnett and all are meeting their obligations, in which case Ishe will be obligated to see his contract through.

I hope that's accurate. The process, I think is; the nature of the complaint that has been filed may not be.

eeler1 23 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

08-13-05, 03:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail eeler1 Click to send private message to eeler1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Latest Updates on Season One Fighters"
Thanks, makes a little more sense now.

Wacko Jacko 2434 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

08-16-05, 03:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Wacko%20Jacko Click to send private message to Wacko%20Jacko Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Latest Updates on Season One Fighters"
LAST EDITED ON 08-17-05 AT 09:57 AM (EST)

Seriously, if Ishe's contract only runs until May 2006 why bother? Just fight the 'Contender' fights and get more PR from doing that. I can't believe that Joey, Ahmed, and Jimmy will get more pub fighting the fights they are doing...then they would by doing the Contender fights. I mean it's only 8 more months. Seriously, the last time most saw Ishe fight was when he lost to Sergio. Here is his chance to prove he is a better fighter to the same audience.

08-17-05, 02:05 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Latest Updates on Season One Fighters"
I believe I was actually incorrect in that statement. I believe it runs longer. But even eight months is long enough ... it isn't about the publicity. It's about furthering his career by fighting a better caliber of fighter. Even if his contract did run through May 2006, by the time he was free and able to take new fights, it would have been two and a half years since he fought a twelve round fight or genuinely world class opposition. For a guy in his mid-to-late twenties, that's a potential career killer.

djh 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

08-18-05, 10:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail djh Click to send private message to djh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Latest Updates on Season One Fighters"
are the fights listed above going to be screened in england? along with series 2 of the contender and the rematch between manfredo and sergio? the last series was screened on itv and itv2 but im unsure whether any more fights will be available on english tv

roondawg 2 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

08-18-05, 10:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail roondawg Click to send private message to roondawg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Latest Updates on Season One Fighters"
I'm assuming that the card will be pushed back, because September 24th in Las Vegas a venue has already been booked for Manfredo v. Gomez III. Either that or the card will prob be updated, because I don't think Manfredo and Gomez would be ready in two weeks t fight a fresh opponent... I may be wrong though

08-18-05, 01:43 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Latest Updates on Season One Fighters"
the fights aren't on September 24. They are supposedly taking place on October 15. Possibly in California.

Wacko Jacko 2434 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

08-18-05, 03:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Wacko%20Jacko Click to send private message to Wacko%20Jacko Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Latest Updates on Season One Fighters"
LAST EDITED ON 08-18-05 AT 03:43 PM (EST)

It's official. I got this email from the Contender.

Tonight Saturday, October 15, 2005
11PM ET/ 8PM PT on NBC
Sponsored by Toyota

Rematch Announced! Mora v. Manfredo @ Staples Center - Tickets on sale Aug. 21st

The undercard will feature the following exciting match-ups:
Alfonso "Superman" Gomez vs. Jeff "The Hell Raza" Fraza
Anthony Bonsante vs. Jesse Brinkley
and more to be announced.

Visit http://contender.tv.yahoo.com to find out more.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •