The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"VFW's Contender Review"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Contender Forum (Protected)
Original message

VegasFightWriter 218 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

05-30-05, 01:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail VegasFightWriter Click to send private message to VegasFightWriter Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"VFW's Contender Review"
Hi people, FWIW, here's my snapshot summary of what I thought were some of the main good and bad elements of the series:
http://www.tigerboxing.com/articles/index.php?aid=1001245099
  Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: VFW's Contender Review eeler1 05-30-05 1
 RE: VFW's Contender Review renoguy 05-30-05 2
   RE: VFW's Contender Review VegasFightWriter 05-30-05 3
       RE: VFW's Contender Review Lorizh 05-30-05 4
 RE: VFW's Contender Review Water_Walker32 05-30-05 5
   VFW What do you think? McCloskey22 05-30-05 6
 RE: VFW's Contender Review mtopaz 06-02-05 7
 RE: VFW's Contender Review contenderv 06-03-05 8
   RE: VFW's Contender Review bumming_peters_wife 06-03-05 9
       RE: VFW's Contender Review eup 06-03-05 10

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

eeler1 23 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

05-30-05, 01:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail eeler1 Click to send private message to eeler1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: VFW's Contender Review"
Wow, you're a pretty good writer, and mostly agree with my thinking to boot.

Did you notice that the way the tournament was set up, five rounds, small ring, weekly bouts, etc., seemed more suited for the less experienced guys, maybe the guys just recently turned pro? Even the judging seemed more like for amatuer bouts, generally more experienced guys were losing. Ishe Smith lost all five rounds on one card!!! Explain that one.

I read where the final had some 10 million viewers. Thats a lot in this day for boxing, especially for a non-title match thats only 7 rounds. I keep reading that the cost of the show is the problem, because some networks would happily take 5-10 million viewers for a show. One way to cut costs would be to get rid of Stallone. I'm not saying he did a bad job, but he must be commanding a pretty decent salary, otherwise he could make more doing movies. I really appreciate seeing fighters of this caliber making decent money, even if only for a few months. I wouldn't want to see them cut production costs by taking from the fighters pay.

Anyway, I really enjoyed reading your review. Hope they take some of it to heart just in case there is a scaled down version in the future.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

renoguy 28 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

05-30-05, 04:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail renoguy Click to send private message to renoguy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: VFW's Contender Review"
Thanks for posting your article. It was a great read!

Here is another article with some similar thoughts from a Reno sports writer:

http://www.rgj.com/news/stories/html/2005/05/24/100239.php

And I agree one of the problems with The Contender was that there was too little recovery time for the boxers between some of the fights. As was mentioned, Jesse had just three days rest after fighting Anthony before his next fight with Sergio (who had 27 days rest). And Jesse still had 6 stitches in his eye so the fight probably wouldn't of even been allowed in Nevada. I'm not saying the outcome would of been any different, but there were several other cases where the short recovery time may have effected the outcome.

The main one that comes to mind was the second Alphonso vs Peter fight. I think Alphonso only had 3 or 6 days of rest after a tough fight against Ahmed. With more rest, I think it's quite possible that Alphonso might of won and then fought Sergio for the championship.

And now they are talking about more fights on July 5th, just 6 weeks after the championship. Both Sergio and Jessie have eye cuts; and it's possible Jessie's cut is the same one he got from Anthony, then reopened by Sergio, and reopened again by Alphonso. I don't think 6 weeks is enough time for an eye cut to heal properly.

Do you think there is a chance that Sergio and/or Jessie might get a medical disqualification similar to what Joey did?

VegasFightWriter 218 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

05-30-05, 04:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail VegasFightWriter Click to send private message to VegasFightWriter Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: VFW's Contender Review"
I think there is a very significant chance that neither Jesse nor Sergio will even be allowed to spar for another couple of weeks, let alone fight, after the cuts they received in the finale. At the same time, Peter has reportedly said he doesn't want to fight on July 5, he wants a rest, and intends to take a vacation. And the first at least some of the fighters heard about July 5 was via the press release.

These guys may be able to make TV shows, but it's a whole different deal being a boxing promoter.

Lorizh 19 desperate attention whore postings

05-30-05, 06:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Lorizh Click to send private message to Lorizh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: VFW's Contender Review"
LAST EDITED ON 05-30-05 AT 06:29 PM (EST)

Nice review, although I don't agree with all of, it was very well written!

You're very talented!

Water_Walker32 47 desperate attention whore postings

05-30-05, 07:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Water_Walker32 Click to send private message to Water_Walker32 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: VFW's Contender Review"
I agree with the article also, although I am not split minded on the 5 round bout. I hate it At minimal, 5 round fights shouldn't be counted on their records. Although I would like to see 8 to 10 round bouts. As far as class fighters, well, everyone except, Tarrick, Juan and Brent to me deserved a fair chance. Fraza is a too small, but hey...give him a shot, at least he has style and determination.

Good read.

What I am a little confused about is whether there is or is not going to be a season 2.

McCloskey22 15 desperate attention whore postings

05-30-05, 09:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail McCloskey22 Click to send private message to McCloskey22 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "VFW What do you think?"
Great Article first off... secondly, abotu there being a season 2..i think there is a good chance. Ive heard rumors about moving it to espn, and it wouldnt have cost as much money if they were paying 1500 a week until november when the series was suppose to air compaired to 1500 a week until march. I read this on fightnews.com--Is this the end for "The Contender?" Not according to reality TV kingpin Mark Burnett. "I'm totally committed to this," he said last night. "And OK, if NBC doesn't want to do this, we'll go somewhere else!" Stay tuned...
I hope there is a season 2 and i think someone has to take it..everyone who gave the show a shot absolutley loved it and 10 million for the finale is not bad.. so are any of the rumors true about espn and another season and if not..is there any hope for us who lovedd the show??

mtopaz 2167 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

06-02-05, 02:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mtopaz Click to send private message to mtopaz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: VFW's Contender Review"
I enjoyed reading your snapshot review. I'm one of those not-a-boxing-fan fans of The Contender. I appreciate your insight into the realities of the sport. Before this show aired, I would never have considered attending a boxing match. Now, I just might do so.

Sig pic by JSlice

contenderv 3 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

06-03-05, 01:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail contenderv Click to send private message to contenderv Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: VFW's Contender Review"
I do not agree that when ishe was defeated the show got a little boring, the last 4 boxers did keep the show interseting. Jesse, Peter, Alphonso, and Sergio were the best 4 and are all quite interseting. I think the part of the show where they all had to say something about the previous boxers was boring, but that was the producers fault, not lack of character of the final 4.

bumming_peters_wife 2 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

06-03-05, 08:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bumming_peters_wife Click to send private message to bumming_peters_wife Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: VFW's Contender Review"
i only watched contender for peters wifes, she is so fine!
id love to screw her every way i could! espescially anal!
heh.x
peters wife rocks!

eup 33 desperate attention whore postings

06-03-05, 08:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail eup Click to send private message to eup Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: VFW's Contender Review"
dude come on keep that ##### 2 your selth we dont care.
god im 15 years old an im more mature. She is pretty hot tho

out

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •