The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Contender Ratings"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Contender Forum (Protected)
Original message

alex78 14 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

04-26-05, 06:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail alex78 Click to send private message to alex78 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Contender Ratings"
How is the Contender doing in the ratings and is there a possibility of a second season? I can't believe that there are 400 plus postings for other other shows on this forum (American Idol, Amazing Race...) and only 144 topics for the Contender. Where are all the fight fans!
  Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Contender Ratings VegasFightWriter 04-26-05 1
 RE: Contender Ratings ARnutz 04-26-05 2
 RE: Contender Ratings PhoenixMons 04-26-05 3
   RE: Contender Ratings ARnutz 04-26-05 4
 RE: Contender Ratings slk188 05-16-05 5
   RE: Contender Ratings Lazt Boy Scout 05-16-05 6
       RE: Contender Ratings eeler1 05-16-05 7
           $2 million reasons AyaK 05-16-05 8
               RE: $2 million reasons SLW3 05-16-05 9
               RE: $2 million reasons RealityMom 05-17-05 14
 NBC PagongRatEater 05-17-05 10
   RE: NBC slk188 05-17-05 11
   RE: NBC Captain_Savem 05-17-05 16
 RE: Contender Ratings Bebo 05-17-05 12
   RE: Contender Ratings PagongRatEater 05-17-05 13
       RE: Contender Ratings pollardsvision 05-17-05 15
 RE: Contender Ratings ladro 05-17-05 17

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

VegasFightWriter 218 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-26-05, 06:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail VegasFightWriter Click to send private message to VegasFightWriter Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Contender Ratings"
There's an interview with Tommy Galagher on FightNews today, in whih he says there is a plan to begin filming a second season in July. Here's the link. http://www.fightnews.com/richardson134.htm

Whether that is still happening, given the fact that ratings are not exactly Earth-shattering, I don't know. The first show on Sunday pulled a 2.5 rating/7 share (i.e. it as watched by 5.5 million households), while the second one improved to 3.3/7 (6.4 million households).

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

ARnutz 13792 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-26-05, 06:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ARnutz Click to send private message to ARnutz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Contender Ratings"
All of those other shows have lots of postings in the forums because they have been around for several seasons. Those topics span 4 seasons for AI and 7 seasons for AR (not to mention all of the threads that are now archived).

If this show lasts that long, it will have many postings too. 144 topics is a lot considering this show has not even finished it's first season.

Welocme to the boards!

'nutz: Proud member of the inoffensive OT Triumvirate... and Shroomhater! - shroom go boom!

PhoenixMons 4696 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

04-26-05, 06:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PhoenixMons Click to send private message to PhoenixMons Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Contender Ratings"
Well, for one, The Contender is a new show. American Idol and TAR (The Amazing Race) are tried and true and have been around for years.

I hope The Contender catches on with the same mass appeal that these other shows have, but I doubt that it will. By in large, boxing is still watched mostly by men (I'm a woman, but I can count on one hand the number of women I know who enjoy boxing and most of my female friends are sports fans in general), so you lose a big chunk of the viewing population right there. Then, a lot of more 'serious' boxing fans don't like the preface of the show and feel that it's too 'game show' like and not enough like the real world of boxing. I actually don't like the way the show is edited (especially hate the slow-mo stuff and dramatic musical accompaniment during the last round of the fight, but that's just me) on the whole, but I like that it's exposing boxing to the general public and also showing the 'real lives' (inasmuch as that's possible without it being a documentary - but then who would watch other than boxing fans?) of boxers. I think 144 topics is pretty darn good for a show that is in its first season.

Got blog?

ARnutz 13792 desperate attention whore postings

04-26-05, 06:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ARnutz Click to send private message to ARnutz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Contender Ratings"
Ha ha! Brilliant minds think alike PM!

Funny, we must've been typing at about the same time.

'nutz: Proud member of the inoffensive OT Triumvirate... and Shroomhater! - shroom go boom!

slk188 2 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

05-16-05, 01:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail slk188 Click to send private message to slk188 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Contender Ratings"
LAST EDITED ON 05-16-05 AT 11:33 AM (EST)

You know what the Contender is the best reality TV show because unlike Survivor, Amazing race ect...this is really reality TV. This is what they do with their lives even when the show is over and the wins and losses count towards your career record.
If the ratinga are low it is because boxing fans aren't usually reality tv fans and reality tv fans aren't boxing fans. Also I bet more Women watch reality TV then Men so a show one with boxing is tough to get the Women to watch.
Does anyone know what the rating are?

Lazt Boy Scout 9 desperate attention whore postings

05-16-05, 03:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Lazt%20Boy%20Scout Click to send private message to Lazt%20Boy%20Scout Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Contender Ratings"
No, there isn't going to be a second season. Sad, I know.

eeler1 23 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

05-16-05, 04:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail eeler1 Click to send private message to eeler1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Contender Ratings"
I emailed NBC and told them I think not renewing stinks. It would be different if they had anything decent to replace it with, but my guess is it will be a stupid ripoff from a popular show on some other network. Might as well let this one limp along as replace it with some other junk. Who knows, it might grow?

AyaK 10083 desperate attention whore postings

05-16-05, 05:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "$2 million reasons"
When NBC bought The Contender last year, it paid $2 million per episode -- the highest price ever for a reality-competition show.

If the price were more reasonable, the show might stand a chance of renewal, despite its dismal ratings. But it isn't.

SLW3 6 desperate attention whore postings

05-16-05, 08:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SLW3 Click to send private message to SLW3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: $2 million reasons"
They should have put it on mondays after fear factor. It would have done great. Idiots!! Its like they wanted it to fail.

Stacey

RealityMom 560 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

05-17-05, 12:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RealityMom Click to send private message to RealityMom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: $2 million reasons"
Does anyone know how much of the $2 million goes to Sly and Sugar Ray? I'm sure that they're a big part of the cost and I really don't think having celebrities adds much to the show. I think that this show could appeal to women if they realized how much heart this show has. I'm not a boxing fan but I watched an episode and I started to care about the boxers. Including the families really shows us how much they have to lose and how much winning might better their lives. Each of their stories is like an "up close and personal" segment on the Olympics. I think that the show could have reached a much bigger audience if the publicity put more emphasis on these personal aspects.

PagongRatEater 12973 desperate attention whore postings

05-17-05, 00:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "NBC"
I'd like to second the sentiment that NBC did about all that they could to make this program fail - carppy time slot, moving it around for the first two episodes, minimal promotion, start and stop deadlines on the premier date. Would it have hurt to try to use The Apprentice as a springboard into the huge RTV audience? Is it any wonder that in an era where RTV makes up a huge segment of potential programming that NBC has become the fourth network specifically because of their inability to target that audience?

Personally, this has become the show that I look forward to the most on television - more than TAR or Survivor. This is quality television with compelling characters, great storytelling and superb production value. Is it the shows fault that it got dropped into a black hole of Sunday night television?

I can understand that it was an expense show to purchase - but I'll bet that can be renogiated. I certainly understand that it all boils down to ratings. But when I look at the quality of this program you just have to wonder - are the poor ratings the fault of the show or the fault of the network?

slk188 2 desperate attention whore postings

05-17-05, 00:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail slk188 Click to send private message to slk188 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: NBC"
You are so right. The network should be ashamed of themsleves
This show is the best reality TV show ever.
What exactly are the ratings anyways?

Captain_Savem 3731 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

05-17-05, 05:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Captain_Savem Click to send private message to Captain_Savem Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: NBC"
I agree PRE. It's definitely the networks fault. I mean, generally speaking, boxing isn't a sport that women gravitate towards. So tell me why would you put a boxing show in the same time slot opposite one of the most watched programs by women on television? Absolutely mind boggling.

Courtesy of Slice & Dice Chop Shop ©2004 All Rights Reserved
"Power concedes to nothing.....without a demand. But power won't
even concede to a demand, when that demand comes from a weak
constituency that lacks testicular fortitude." ~ Minister Louis Farrakhan

Bebo 20880 desperate attention whore postings

05-17-05, 08:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Contender Ratings"
According to Mediaweek, NBC's Sunday night ratings are down 22% from a year ago. The Contender finished 4th in its timeslot this week with about 5 million viewers.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/mw/20050516/111629294100.html

"If there was ever a time you wanted permission to run over a clown . . . ."

PagongRatEater 12973 desperate attention whore postings

05-17-05, 10:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Contender Ratings"
I'll take super-poor promotion of the show for $500, Alex.

Not to mention a pretty popular show called Desparate Housewives may account for some of the Sunday night decline.

pollardsvision 25 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

05-17-05, 01:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail pollardsvision Click to send private message to pollardsvision Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Contender Ratings"
The Contender is my favorite show...guess what, I missed the first two episodes b/c i had never heard of it! I was driving home one day and heard Stallone on an AM sportstalk show promoting it...I dont remember seeing any promo at all. The ratings have improved but it is one of those shows that means more to you if you saw it early on...

If they had a second season and promoted the heck out of it you would get people hooked after one episode and by the third episode they'd be making sure they didnt have plans on what ever night it was on...

I hope that Sly and Burnett can get CBS or Fox to bite...even ESPN...It will be a tragedy if someone doesnt pick it up...

ladro 1168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

05-17-05, 11:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ladro Click to send private message to ladro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Contender Ratings"
Since everyone else is giving their opinion, I'll repeat mine for the first episode. My sentiments regarding the show have not changed since the March 8 premiere. The show was too niche. Many men are not going to watch a Reality show without some T&A here and there. But most importantly, not many women are going to watch a Reality TV show unless there is some clean cut, cute, sweet guy to pine for. I suppose Monday night after Fear Factor would have been better, but I really don't know enough about the network competion to be sure. For $2Million/episode NBC should get a Sunday night caliber show. Fear Factor probably costs NBC less than half a million per episode. Placing it after the Apprentice would not have been a smart move IMHO, you risk ruining ER, and I have doubts The Contender would have done well after The Apprentice.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •