The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"5 round fights are nothing!!!"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Contender Forum (Protected)
Original message

Radical 7 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

05-01-05, 10:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Radical Click to send private message to Radical Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"5 round fights are nothing!!!"
No offense to Gomez or Joey, but their so lucky this show is only five rounds. Otherwise they both would have gotten knocked out. I understand there is a time limit for television, and it makes the show more exciting, but it sort of takes away the true skill from these fighters. In my opinion, and observation, Joey would have gotten knocked out easily if this was a 10 or 12 round fight. He already got his ribs broken in the first round, and by the begining of the fifth, joey looked like he almost had nothing left, when Peter wasn't even tired. Peter sort of proved tonight why he is world ranked. All he needed was a couple more rounds to finish the job. Now ALFONSO GOMEZ, this guy really isn't all what people are making him out to be. He is nice in the ring, but after watching the fight between him and Ahmed, i realized that by the fifth round, Gomez was cooked. Ahmed almost knocked him out, and if he had more time, i'm sure he would have. Now, from what i've heard, Gomez has never been in a 10 or 12 round fight. I don't even think he's been in a six round fight. He only fights five rounds. That explains why he was so tired by the fifth round. He looked like he was almost dead. A real proffesional fighter doesn't start excelling,and punishing untill the 7th,8th,9th,10th round. Anything can happen in five rounds, an ameture could end walking away with a victory against a proffesional in five rounds. Most of the guys left in that house are used to fighting 12 rounds. If they move up rounds in the third round, Gomez is finished. He's not ready, and he wouldn't be able to breath in there. He'd get murderd soon after the 5th round, and he needs it, because he's getting a little too cocky for nothing. Unless these guys go for 10 rounds, their not proving anything. From what i hear from a good source, Alfonso is gonna learn a big lesson in the third round. (TKO) Im sure most of you already know, or heard who the final two are. I actually think thats the way it should be, so im happy for both of them, but hopefully it's a 12 round fight in vegas, so we can see what these guys are really made of.
  Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: 5 round fights are nothing!!! Reality432423 05-01-05 1
   RE: 5 round fights are nothing!!! KObrien_fan 05-02-05 4
 RE: 5 round fights are nothing!!! pdaj 05-02-05 2
   RE: 5 round fights are nothing!!! Wacko Jacko 05-02-05 3
       End of 15 rounders AyaK 05-02-05 8
 RE: 5 round fights are nothing!!! FarwestChips 05-02-05 5
 RE: 5 round fights are nothing!!! thecontender2 05-02-05 6
 RE: 5 round fights are nothing!!! FarwestChips 05-02-05 7
   RE: 5 round fights are nothing!!! stirlo1984 05-02-05 9
       RE: 5 round fights are nothing!!! Radical 05-02-05 11
           RE: 5 round fights are nothing!!! FarwestChips 05-02-05 12
               RE: 5 round fights are nothing!!! VegasFightWriter 05-02-05 13
                   RE: 5 round fights are nothing!!! FarwestChips 05-02-05 14
                   RE: 5 round fights are nothing!!! PhoenixMons 05-03-05 15

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Reality432423 153 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-01-05, 11:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Reality432423 Click to send private message to Reality432423 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: 5 round fights are nothing!!!"
I completly agree, Alfonzo was very lucky he did so well in the first 3 rounds. Actually I complained long ago that 5 rounds is nothing. A true test is definitly 10 or more rounds. 5 rounds a fighter can keep punching and not worry about stamina.

But since it is 5 rounds, Gomez did properly win that fight. A competition in a time frame is what its all about. A team that could have won with extra time, that doesn't count. You gotta do what you gotta do with the time given to you.

I wished Contender rounds were longer. This is kinda a joke.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

KObrien_fan 8360 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-02-05, 11:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KObrien_fan Click to send private message to KObrien_fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: 5 round fights are nothing!!!"
I agree completely, the boxers have got to adjust and fight with the mindset of the time frame that is given them. I also agree that 5 rounds is nothing and not the proper test of stamina which should be included, it is a key factor to determine who the better fighter is.

pdaj 47 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

05-02-05, 08:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail pdaj Click to send private message to pdaj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: 5 round fights are nothing!!!"
Stallone: "Peter, do you think you have the advantage? You do have a little bit more experience."

Peter: "Yeah, experience is always a factor. Then again, it's a 5 round fight, so we'll see."

This exchange took place in the "exclusive video" clips on the yahoo website. The experienced fighters realize how such a short fight can essentially neutralize the experience factor for a younger fighter. If the fights would have been at least 7 or 8 rounds, Ishe would have beaten Sergio, Alfonso would most likely be finished, and Joey would have left the ring in a body bag. But in order to maintain the integrity of the show, very few comments have been made about the format.

Wacko Jacko 2434 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

05-02-05, 11:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Wacko%20Jacko Click to send private message to Wacko%20Jacko Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: 5 round fights are nothing!!!"
Unless it is a championship level fight 'real' boxing generally has short fights too.

15 round fights are a thing of the past.

Actually I like the idea of 5 round fights. Makes for good tv.

AyaK 10083 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-02-05, 03:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "End of 15 rounders"
15 round fights came to an end with the lightweight title fight between Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini and Duk Koo Kim. After 12 rounds, the fight was a toss-up -- but Mancini dominated the last two rounds, stopping Kim in the 14th. Then, a couple of minutes after the fight ended, Kim collapsed in the ring ... and died in a Vegas hospital from a blood clot. The tragedy haunted everyone involved with the fight, including the referee, who committed suicide three months later.

To get some cheap publicity, the WBC (which was not the sanctioning body for the fight) said that it would no longer sanction title fights longer than 12 rounds. It took five more years and a few disputes over the rounds in title fights from people who held more than one belt, but the WBA and IBF eventually went along with the reduction to 12-rounders. State sanctioning bodies reserved 12-round fights for titles. There have been no more sanctioned 15-round fights since that year (1987).

When the WBO was set up in 1988, its title fights conformed to the 12-round standard. One reason for setting up the WBO was to provide more title belts, so that more 12-round fights could be fought!

FarwestChips 76 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

05-02-05, 12:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FarwestChips Click to send private message to FarwestChips Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: 5 round fights are nothing!!!"
Ummm, ok.

I don’t think its fair to say 5 rounds is to short, these guys are up and comers, and up and coming fighters only fight 4, 6, or 8 round fights. You will be hard pressed to find a fighter that goes over 6 for his first 15 fights.
You said a real fighter doesn’t even start pushing until the later rounds? What do you base this on? About 80% of all pro fights are only 6 round or less fights. In fact a real pro will pace himself so that he can’t stand up on his own by the end of the final round. You don’t know if Joey or Gomez would of paced themselves better for a 6, 8 or 10 round fight and if Kaddour had something left at the end of the fight that’s his problem and his weakness. If a pro cant execute good time management in the ring that’s a fault not a strength.
Gomez won all 5 rounds, he proved he could beat Kaddour hands down, just because Kaddour landed one good punch in the last 8 seconds doesn’t mean he would of won a 6 or 8 round fight, Gomez would not of stood there like he did willing to try and trade with a bigger puncher if there was another round or 2.
I’m just crazed that you would even bring up a 12 round fight? There is no belt, just a check. No 12 round fights without a belt. That’s how it works end of story. Why would you expect 12 round fights? Should they have invented yet another belt? And you said most of the fighters left on the show are used to 12 round fights. Check your facts again, you’re not even close on this one. Here I will post the facts for you so you can quit talking like a fool.
Sergio Mora - never a fight scheduled for more than 8
Peter Manfredo Jr Has been in 4 10 rounder and 3 12 round fights
Gomez has not been in any 10 or 12's yet
Bosante Has 3 10's and 2 12's
Brinkly has 3 10's and 1 12.
So how do you figure any of these guys are "used" to fighting 12 round fights? When 95% of their fights have been 6 round fights?
I just don’t understand.
Im sure a macho guy like yourself would gladly start his career fighting 10 round fights huh? Or maybe you could try the sport before you start bashing people that have done it.

thecontender2 48 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

05-02-05, 12:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail thecontender2 Click to send private message to thecontender2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: 5 round fights are nothing!!!"

Here are the Career Records.

Alfonso Gomez
http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=044511

Miguel Angel Espino
http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=015885

Joey Gilbert
http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=085624

Peter Manfredo Jr.
http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=018537

Taken from:
http://www.boxrec.com/media/index.php/Category:%22The_Contender%22

05-02-05, 12:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FarwestChips Click to send private message to FarwestChips Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: 5 round fights are nothing!!!"
LAST EDITED ON 05-02-05 AT 12:32 PM (EST)

>but hopefully it's
>a 12 round fight in
>vegas, so we can see
>what these guys are really
>made of.

Nope, no 12 round fight in Vegas....NO BELT!!!!!
Learn the sport before you criticize it.

stirlo1984 6 desperate attention whore postings

05-02-05, 03:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail stirlo1984 Click to send private message to stirlo1984 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: 5 round fights are nothing!!!"
You're being a bit heavy handed there mate, but of course you're right in what you say.
It seems that Alfonso does have a little bit of a stamina problem and I think comments that Ishe would have beaten Sergio over say 8 rounds is probably fair, given the fight was close anyway. As for Joey, he was in bad shape against Manfredo, but it's daft to say he's have been knocked out. Firstly, he was cut, so whatever the fight was scheduled for, it would have ended in the fifth. Second, the guy is a superbly fit athlete, so if anything you ought to think he'd have a greater chance over a longer fight.

Radical 7 desperate attention whore postings

05-02-05, 07:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Radical Click to send private message to Radical Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: 5 round fights are nothing!!!"
Looks like I touched a nerve. Must be another Joey fan. First of all, I am aware that a championship fight is 12 rounds, and a proffesional fight is up from 4 to 10. Now, with that said,these contestants want to be contender's for a championship fight. HELLO! Now, Iv'e never seen any fighter go from a six round fight to a championship, have you? Please don't lay that new comer stuff on me. These guys knew what they signed up for. THey want to fight the best. I realize that baby boomers fight little guys in six rounds first, like Andre Ward and others. Now Gomez had 13 fights before the show. Joey had eight. Hey, thats their problem. If they want to be champions, they have to fight like champions, and champions can atleast fight in 10 rounds. Now, as far as vegas goes, your probably right about that. SO ok, LEts take two rounds off, and make it 10. You don't have to fight for a belt. Let me try to recall a recent fight that you might have seen. How about the return of Riddick bowe against Billy Zumbrun, although their heavyweights. What do I base my comments on a fighter pushing later rounds on? Just look back at Peter manfredo's earlier fights, and you'll get your answer. Now, Brinkly, Manfredo, and Bonsante have all been i 12 round fights. Their still in house right? Now I understand that they havent fought many fights in 12, so I shouldn't have said their used to it, but they are ready for it. GOmez wouldn't make it. Did you even watch the fights? Gomes was struggling to just get his pundches off, and Joey was completly done. Not to forget he got a hurt rib in the FIRST ROUND!!! Peter was barley sweating. HE was ready for 4 more.

If a pro can't execute in good time, thats their weakness.

Point well taken. I'm not saying that their not good fighters, and that they didn't desreve their wins. They absolutley did. All i'm saying is from what i see, it looks like they wouldn't make it in higher rounds, and these guys want to be champions. And it makes other fighters look bad, who probably would have buried them anywhere else. Now , thats just my opinion, and it looks like alot of people agree with me. If you want to disagree, thats fine, but don't insult me, for criticizing your CRUSH!!!

BTW. I MEANT TO HAVE IT DOWN HERE. MY BAD

05-02-05, 09:12 PM (EST)
12. "RE: 5 round fights are nothing!!!"
If you read my posts in the past you will see I am not nor have I ever been a Joey fan, in fact I have been forced to eat my words for picking Joey to lose in the first round. And for the record I never picked Manfredo to win either.
My post has nothing to do with Joey or Gomez, it has to do with yours and many others postings about how these are shorter fights than they should be.
Any pro coach of any pro sport will tell you if your not gagging on your own saliva after an event than you didn’t try hard enough. It is unfair for anyone to say that the fight would have been different if only it were different. The sun is always in the other guy’s eyes isn’t it?
The name of this show is "The Contender" not "The Contender's"
The goal is to take 16 up and comers and let them shoot it out unil one “contender” arises from the dark Burnet ashes to go get trashed by Soliman.
I would of liked to see the show up the rounds per set as well, maybe 4 rounds for the oh so sweet 16, than maybe 5 for the big eight, than 6 for the elite 4, than 8 for the final "Burnet gets paid mad money" show down in Vegas.
But to ask for more than 5 rounds to start or to ask guys that have never really trained for it to go for more than 6 would have been silly. Or to ask guys to fight 8 round fights every two weeks for 4 fights straight is just plane rude.
You have all your stats, show me any other “pro” that has fought four 10 round fights inside of two months. Most “pro’s” won’t fight more than three a year.
And before anyone asks, yes 8 rounds in 10oz is way harder than 10 rounds in 8oz. Take away 6oz and I could see a few of these guys going 10 no prob.
5 rounds in 14oz gloves is good enough to prove what needs to be proven.

VegasFightWriter 218 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

05-02-05, 09:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail VegasFightWriter Click to send private message to VegasFightWriter Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: 5 round fights are nothing!!!"
Just a quick point: they are using 10oz gloves on the show, not 14 oz.

Personally, I think, given the nature of the show, five rounds is OK. No, it isn't representative of what guys like Ishe or Peter fight these days, and so it puts those guys at a comparative disadvantage against the likes of Joey or Juan. But tey kow what the deal is before they enter the ring, and if they're pros, they deal. (No offense to anyone, but saying that five rounds is unfair because real pros don't get going until the final rounds is ludicrous. If you're a pro, you adapt. And if you wait until the final rounds in a five round fight, you're not a pro, you're an idiot.) But yeah, it's closer to what the majority ofthese guys fight most of the time, and given the frequency of the fights, it's understandable.

Personally, I am less offended by the length of the fights than by the fact that the ring is ridiculously small. In fact, it is smaller than the minimum offically allowed under California rules: just one more example (along with being deceitful about the closeness or otherwise of the fights, and asking fans to pay for two separate tickets for two separate cards to see a total of five fights) that shows the show's conceit about "reforming" boxing is total b***$#&t.

05-02-05, 10:46 PM (EST)
14. "RE: 5 round fights are nothing!!!"
10oz? I would have sworn I read 14oz,
Ouch! They are lucky there have not been more cuts; of course I am a firm believer in the theory that bigger gloves give bigger brain trauma. In fact just three weeks ago we had a female fighter lose her life in the ring, I cant help but point to 14oz gloves and head gear as the cause for so much damage from such a weak right cross.
Still 8 rounds + in 10oz gloves for 3 fights in 2 months is way to much. Than a fourth fight
In fact I still think that a mandatory 30 days should be invoked
and 90 days after a KO

PhoenixMons 4696 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

05-03-05, 10:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PhoenixMons Click to send private message to PhoenixMons Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: 5 round fights are nothing!!!"
The main reason I think that the fights should be longer (6 would be long enough in theory, but then that would create too much potential for draws, and we couldn't have that in a reality show situation) is because this is a potentially career-changing experience. That most of these guys' fights have been 4-6 rounds is more reason to make them step up to the plate now that they're getting national exposure that they would normally only get from a 10+ round fight. I do realize that it's kind of impossible given the nature of the show and the frequency of the fights, but I guess I just wish there were a way to have the fights 7 rounds so that we could gain a better sense of who might be suited/ready to move up in the boxing world.

Got blog?

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •