The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"March Madness Bracket Challenge"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Sports Forum (Protected)
Original message

mrc 10100 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-15-16, 08:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mrc Click to send private message to mrc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"March Madness Bracket Challenge"
If you're interested in playing Yahoo's Bracket Challenge, the group ID# is 141277 and the password is rtvw. I've sent invites to past players. The link: https://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/

What is Phil's golf equipment?

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: March Madness Bracket Challenge cahaya 03-16-16 1
 RE: March Madness Bracket Challenge Bebo 03-17-16 2
   RE: March Madness Bracket Challenge Agman2 03-18-16 3
       RE: March Madness Bracket Challenge cahaya 03-18-16 4
 RE: March Madness Bracket Challenge AyaK 03-28-16 5
   RE: March Madness Bracket Challenge cahaya 03-30-16 6
 March Madness 2017 cahaya 03-12-17 7
 RE: March Madness Bracket Challenge mrc 03-13-17 8
   RE: March Madness Bracket Challenge cahaya 03-13-17 9
       RE: March Madness Bracket Challenge Bebo 03-13-17 10
           RE: March Madness Bracket Challenge cahaya 03-13-17 11
               Bracket Madness cahaya 03-26-17 12
                   RE: Bracket Madness PepeLePew13 04-06-17 13
                   RE: Bracket Madness PepeLePew13 04-06-17 14
                       RE: Bracket Madness cahaya 04-11-17 15

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

cahaya 19505 desperate attention whore postings

03-16-16, 12:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: March Madness Bracket Challenge"
I'm in! Wow, with it being so quiet around here, I didn't expect to be the 11th entrant into the pool!

Nutzy's trophy shop

Let's have a pool party!

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Bebo 20973 desperate attention whore postings

03-17-16, 06:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: March Madness Bracket Challenge"
Dang it, my streak died! I had lost my first two games, but then I had to actually get some right. Including Yale.

Then again, calling a 5/12 upset isn't really that big of a deal.

Agman2 2707 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

03-18-16, 12:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Agman2 Click to send private message to Agman2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: March Madness Bracket Challenge"
I think many people's brackets were devastated yesterday!

03-18-16, 08:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: March Madness Bracket Challenge"
It got worse today.

Tell me it Izzn't so!

AyaK 10415 desperate attention whore postings

03-28-16, 04:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: March Madness Bracket Challenge"
Sorry, I prepared a bracket but Yahoo! blew it up before the first game for unknown reasons.

I actually did great for the first weekend, but I got wiped out this weekend. My only surviving team in the Final Four is Oklahoma.

03-30-16, 01:24 AM (EST)
6. "RE: March Madness Bracket Challenge"
I, too, did well the in the round of 64 and 32, notching a few "seeded upsets". I've got OK and NC in the final 4, but any future points are completely shot with my picks of Kansas and Michigan State in the championship game.

Stats sites like Ken Pomeroy's Kenpom.com and Nate Silver's fivethirtyeight.com (in addition to one academics site of stats gurus) revealed how over- or under-seeded some teams were. For example, Gonzaga was a classic under-seed if there ever was one.

Having said that, choosing brackets is a game of probabilities and it is inevitable that some teams on the other side of that 50/50 line will win. Unusual events (and games) do happen. The trick is picking which ones will pull it off despite the statistical odds. There's a reason no one gets the "perfect bracket" despite the millions of entries, with the odds being in the realm of "astronomical" (1 in 9,223,372,036,854,775,808, a rather unimaginable number).

Nutzy's trophy shop

03-12-17, 09:12 PM (EST)
7. "March Madness 2017"
I've set up a Yahoo Bracket Challenge for the OT gang. Group is OT March Madness 2017, group 82104, password is rtvw, invitation link below:

https://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/t1/group/82104/invitation?key=127d1ca0ae218c8c&soc_trk=lnk

mrc 10100 desperate attention whore postings

03-13-17, 08:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mrc Click to send private message to mrc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: March Madness Bracket Challenge"
I've renewed the Yahoo Tourney Pick'em. The private league name is SBOT (Nose) Pickers. The league number is 96740. Pwd is rtvw.

https://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/

A PATCH of banana skin

03-13-17, 02:43 PM (EST)
9. "RE: March Madness Bracket Challenge"
LAST EDITED ON 03-13-17 AT 02:48 PM (EST)

I started another league earlier and see a Mr C with a bracket entry in it. I guess folks will have two leagues to choose from, maybe one for comp and one for wishing!

Bebo 20973 desperate attention whore postings

03-13-17, 08:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: March Madness Bracket Challenge"
I'm going to do one real bracket (aka, it's going to suck, and I need to own it) and one bracket based on which mascot would win in a fight. The only downside of a mascot bracket is that normally Dook ends up as the winner, since it's a malevolent supernatural force.

03-13-17, 10:40 PM (EST)
11. "RE: March Madness Bracket Challenge"
I went with two "real" brackets, both of which applied different ratings/stats/Vegas-lines, with rather different results! I'm just curious which of the two selection methods actually does the better job of predictions.

03-26-17, 02:15 AM (EST)
12. "Bracket Madness"
LAST EDITED ON 03-26-17 AT 02:28 AM (EST)

I ran two brackets based on two predictive statistics sites, pitting Nate Silver vs Ken Pomeroy.

One is by Nate Silver's fivethirtyeight site complete with livetime during game graphs of win probabilities (wow!). Great site and very sound prediction method that perfectly predicted all the states in the Obama election, but failed to predict Trump's win. This bracket is Cahaya's Silver bracket.

The other site is Ken Pomeroy's kenpom.com ranking and point system for all teams in the NCAA. Four of his top 5 teams made it to the Elite 8. It's a math system that also measures strength of schedule, and (adjusted) offense and defense statistics. This bracket is Cahaya's PomPom bracket (cheerleaders!).

So, which prediction system is better? Who will win, Nate or Ken?

Only time -- and play -- will tell!

PepeLePew13 25929 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-17, 04:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Bracket Madness"
LAST EDITED ON 04-06-17 AT 04:34 PM (EST)

No, Nate didn't predict Trump's win but he did give Trump a much higher chance of winning than any other site did. IIRC, he had Trump at about a 30-35% chance of winning and explained how he could win, while everyone else was almost completely writing him off.

On another site, I was warning people left and right about underestimating Trump -- in my circle of friends, there's a sociologist and a pol-sci prof, and they both explained to me months before the election how it was possible that Trump could surprise people. Predictably, people thought I was nuts for saying Trump could win.

PepeLePew13 25929 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-17, 04:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Bracket Madness"
And... which one did better?

04-11-17, 08:59 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Bracket Madness"
I won't go into details, but Nate did slightly better in the early rounds, but his bracket busted in the later rounds, not predicting either of the F2.

Ken predicted a Gonzaga/NC final, thus got more points overall than Nate.

To be fair to Nate, he put win probabilities on the teams and none of them were overwhelming favorites, with only slightly different probabilities between top-seeded teams.

Ken, on the other hand, uses a ranking system instead of a win probability system, and it proved to be more reliable in the late rounds.

And... Vegas got it all wrong. No surprise since it's more a measure of bettor sentiment than it is hard stats.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •