The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The Home Run Derby at Citifield."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Sports Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 55195 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

07-15-13, 03:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The Home Run Derby at Citifield."
Good luck, suckers.

I'm predicting a total of three.

Not the winning total. Three home runs between all eight contestants.

Two of those may be umpire miscalls.

Every ballpark stat in http://espn.go.com/mlb/allstar13/story/_/id/9475439/home-run-derby-preview is lies. LIES!

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The Home Run Derby at Citifield... Molaholic 07-15-13 1
   RE: The Home Run Derby at Citifield... Molaholic 07-15-13 3
 RE: The Home Run Derby at Citifield... PepeLePew13 07-15-13 2
   RE: The Home Run Derby at Citifield... AyaK 07-16-13 5
 All Star Parade madness beginning moonbaby 07-16-13 4
   RE: All Star Parade madness beginni... kingfish 07-16-13 6
       RE: All Star Parade madness beginni... cahaya 07-17-13 7

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Molaholic 8451 desperate attention whore postings

07-15-13, 07:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: The Home Run Derby at Citifield."
It's been many years since I've been able to watch the HRD (it's usually the second Monday of July & the LA Dodgers Booster Club meets on the second Monday of the month).

As I recall it usually starts out fairly interesting but quickly evolves into a snore fest. So -- has anything changed?

Another thought -- as I'm watching the MLB Network ASG Warm-up, they're talking about the HRD about to start -- but then run a promo for "Pride of the Yankees" which MLB Network will be airing during the HRD. How many folks watching now are going to stick around for a 70-year-old biopic over the HRD over on FOX?

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Molaholic 8451 desperate attention whore postings

07-15-13, 10:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: The Home Run Derby at Citifield."
Now I know what I've been missing (actually, not missing).

Two hours of Chris Berman.

110 minutes too much.

PepeLePew13 24731 desperate attention whore postings

07-15-13, 08:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The Home Run Derby at Citifield."
LAST EDITED ON 07-15-13 AT 09:00 PM (EST)

They really need to shake up the HR derby and make it more interesting. I read somewhere about this idea and I really like it:

Have a bracket-style competition. Think of the interest gained and the betting that would go on! Have 16 players take part, and they square off with 10 swings with the winner moving on (if there's a tie, either have a swing-off with five swings or have the tiebreaker be the dude who hit the longest HR).

This helps solve the problem of the competition seeming to be dragging on forever by making it ten swing-and-contacts instead of unlimited HRs with ten outs per round, while keeping fans interested in seeing who would match up against each other.

You could have the top five leading HR hitters from each league be automatic qualifiers, the defending champ gets one spot, a hometown guy gets one spot, and four wild cards. Seed them from 1 to 16 with the two leading HR hitters in each league getting the top two seeds.

Based on that, this year's HR derby competitors could have been:

NL automatic - Cargo, Alvarez, D. Brown, Goldschmidt, Beltran or Bruce
AL automatic - C. Davis, Miggy, Encarnacion, Dunn, Ibanez
Defending champ - Fielder
Hometown guy - Wright
Wild cards - Cano, Trout, Harper, Stanton or Bautista (or any one of the other guys like Ortiz, Cespedes, Cruz or Bruce/Beltran)

Could you imagine having Trout and Harper facing each other in a bracket? Miggy vs Fielder? Cano vs Wright? Fans would be amped up.

AyaK 10083 desperate attention whore postings

07-16-13, 06:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: The Home Run Derby at Citifield."
Part of the problem, though, is that it's hard to get even 8 players to compete for fear that they'll mess up their swings by swinging for the fences (not an unjustified fear -- see Adrian Gonzalez, 2011).

Thus, you'll always have a problem getting enough talent to compete. But, even if you only have eight players, I like the idea of having individual face-offs, broken up into two "innings" of five outs each.

Similar to your scenario, Pepe, imagine how much attention a first-round face-off of, say, Prince Fielder versus Chris Davis would have drawn. Or Bryce Harper against Cespedes.

moonbaby 17013 desperate attention whore postings

07-16-13, 10:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail moonbaby Click to send private message to moonbaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "All Star Parade madness beginning"
Just heard traffic around the office is terrible. Parade starts at Bryant Park at one and winds up just a couple of blocks from here. Early lunch? You betcha!

kingfish 16088 desperate attention whore postings

07-16-13, 09:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: All Star Parade madness beginning"
Go to Coney Island.

Cool breezes.

cahaya 18904 desperate attention whore postings

07-17-13, 10:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: All Star Parade madness beginning"
Not quite so cool with the current heat wave!

Having said that, from personal experience (especially for DD) Coney Island is a cool place to visit!

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •