The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Woo! Hoo!"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Sports Forum (Protected)
Original message

Starshine 4934 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

07-07-13, 12:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Woo! Hoo!"
77 years

Time for a tipple!

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Woo! Hoo! cahaya 07-07-13 1
 RE: Woo! Hoo! aethelstan 07-07-13 2
   RE: Woo! Hoo! PepeLePew13 07-08-13 3
       RE: Woo! Hoo! AyaK 07-09-13 4
   RE: Woo! Hoo! Starshine 07-11-13 5
       RE: Woo! Hoo! Molaholic 07-15-13 6
 RE: Woo! Hoo! kingfish 07-16-13 7

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

cahaya 18904 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

07-07-13, 04:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Woo! Hoo!"
Murray wins the Wimbledon!

Cheers, chap!

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

aethelstan 4348 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

07-07-13, 10:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail aethelstan Click to send private message to aethelstan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Woo! Hoo!"
Congrats! I was cheering for him too. (just as I'll cheer for a Canuck to win the Canadian Opens (golf and tennis)).

77 years. That's before WWII!

Just one question though. Murray's Scottish so he's not really a Briton or English. So does it count?

When someone from below Hadrian's Wall finally wins, will people talk about the English drought?

PepeLePew13 24731 desperate attention whore postings

07-08-13, 02:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Woo! Hoo!"
LAST EDITED ON 07-08-13 AT 02:30 PM (EST)

It's an interesting phenomenon - through his early years, I often saw Murray referred to as a 'Scot' and especially so after disappointing losses in big tournaments. Now he's a 'Brit' and there hasn't been as much of a mention of him being a Scot in the news of late.

Anyhoo, hearty congrats to Andy Murray for getting the big monkey off his back and for fulfilling a major dream. A mighty impressive feat to take out Djoker in three sets.

As an aside, not sure how well-known this is outside of the U.K. to the average sports fan/viewer, but Murray is a survivor of the Dunblane school massacre from when he was a young lad. He was walking to the gym where the shooting took place as his class was the next one scheduled to go in there. Think he only opened up about it publicly for the first time a few weeks ago. Wonder if that had an impact on his performance at Wimbledon this year as a cathartic step for him to talk about it right before the tourney -- it seemed to me that he appeared to be far less constipated than usual this time around.

AyaK 10083 desperate attention whore postings

07-09-13, 06:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Woo! Hoo!"
Last year during the Olympics, NBC TV in the States had a big feature on Murray and the Dunblane massacre that ran about 15-20 minutes. I hadn't known of Murray's near-miss before that.

And then Murray won the Olympic gold medal, which may have convinced him that being more open about Dunblane wouldn't hurt him.

Starshine 4934 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

07-11-13, 02:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Woo! Hoo!"
Well, there was always that joke about Greg Rusedski. Will he win Wimbledon and become a British hero, or will he remain forever Canadian?

Anyone with a British passport is British. The other nationalities are a little trickier to track down, the general rule used is the (unofficial) "can they play football for that country?" rule. In that you can only play football for a country that at least one of your grandparents came from. (excepting naturalisation, or the remarkable number of players who discovered an Irish grandmother during Jackie Charltons reign)

Andy Murray appears to have a Grandmother born in England and so qualifies as English or Scottish, as he chooses.

If the referendum in 2014 comes off then all bets are off.

For me the same (albeit roughly half English/ Half Scots), no Manx or Islanders in my past (And I am one or two generations too late to play for China as well).

Molaholic 8451 desperate attention whore postings

07-15-13, 10:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Woo! Hoo!"
So you can count me in -- my maternal grandfather was born in Dundee, Scotland.

He was sent, unaccompanied at age 6, to Boston in the fall of 1912 (he told of the ship stopping near when the Titanic went down for a brief ceremony). His mother had just died and his father was a merchant seaman & never around. He was raised by two old-maid aunts (perhaps that should have read "raised"). He eventually made it to California (after some time as a rum-runner) where he met a lovely Jewish girl who found a way to settle him down to raise a family.

He was working for Firestone tire company during the war & was required to get US citizenship (as it was a vital war industry). He told me the best thing about this was getting to vote for FDR in 1944.

If you'd like to know what he looked like, just watch the classic Batman TV series with Adam West. Alfred Pennyworth is a dead ringer.

Thanks for triggering some wonderful memories.

kingfish 16088 desperate attention whore postings

07-16-13, 10:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Woo! Hoo!"
LAST EDITED ON 07-16-13 AT 04:14 PM (EST)

I found that to be heartwarming as well.

I don't have nationalistic leanings with tennis. Good for Andy and England.

BTW, is the Men's cup solid gold or just clad with gold?

And if Understand what a tipple is, Salud!

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •