The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"NCAA Tournament complaining thread"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Sports Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 55195 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-21-13, 02:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"NCAA Tournament complaining thread"
I am currently choosing to interpret 'most wide-open field in years' as 'every participating stadium is currently unlocked.'

Is there a rule which says the lower seed must give up a 12-0 run as soon as they go ahead by one point?

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: NCAA Tournament complaining thr... aethelstan 03-22-13 1
   RE: NCAA Tournament complaining thr... PepeLePew13 03-22-13 2
   RE: NCAA Tournament complaining thr... Max Headroom 03-22-13 3
 RE: NCAA Tournament complaining thr... cahaya 03-23-13 4
   RE: NCAA Tournament complaining thr... Estee 03-25-13 6
       RE: NCAA Tournament complaining thr... cahaya 03-25-13 7
 Closing in on 7:15 pm Sunday Snidget 03-24-13 5
 RE: NCAA Tournament complaining thr... universityofkentuckyrocks 03-28-13 8
   RE: NCAA Tournament complaining thr... cahaya 03-29-13 9
 Shocking! byoffer 03-30-13 10
   RE: Shocking! aethelstan 04-02-13 16
       RE: Shocking! byoffer 04-03-13 17
           RE: Shocking! aethelstan 04-03-13 18
 Louisville - Duke byoffer 03-31-13 11
   RE: Louisville - Duke Snidget 03-31-13 12
   RE: Louisville - Duke jbug 04-01-13 13
 RE: NCAA Tournament complaining thr... Max Headroom 04-01-13 14
   RE: NCAA Tournament complaining thr... cahaya 04-01-13 15
 F4 openers cahaya 04-06-13 19
   RE: F4 openers cahaya 04-06-13 20
       Half Time Snidget 04-06-13 21
           RE: Half Time cahaya 04-06-13 22
   MIchigan-Syracuse cahaya 04-06-13 23
 Championship: Louisville-Michigan cahaya 04-08-13 24
   RE: Championship: Louisville-Michi... cahaya 04-08-13 25
       Halftime: Michigan 38 Louisville 37 cahaya 04-08-13 26
   RE: Championship: Louisville-Michi... byoffer 04-09-13 27
       RE: Championship: Louisville-Michi... cahaya 04-09-13 28
       RE: Championship: Louisville-Michi... trigirl 04-21-13 29

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

aethelstan 4348 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

03-22-13, 05:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail aethelstan Click to send private message to aethelstan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: NCAA Tournament complaining thread"
In the battle of mid-majors with multiple bids (often seen by the big conferences as 'how the hell can they justify giving these conferences all those at large bids and not all of them to us??), the A-10 is wiping the floor with the MWC.

Not only is the A-10 5-0 in this round, La Salle had to play-in just to be here. The MWC by contrast, is hurting as #3 New Mexico and #5 UNLV are both out. So far, just Colorado State has made it to the second round.

Last 4-8 in? Doing just fine. La Salle won, St. Mary's only lost by 2 and #12s Oregon, Ole Miss and California all won. Btw, do you know that the Miss in old Miss has nothing to do with Mississippi?

With this many upsets, it would actually not surprise me that we have all #1s in Atlanta. I seem to recall that the only other time all #1s made it through, there were a ton of first round upsets.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

PepeLePew13 24731 desperate attention whore postings

03-22-13, 08:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: NCAA Tournament complaining thread"
I've seen three different explanations for the "Ole Miss" sobriquet - it was named in a contest for the school yearbook back in the 1800s and while many have said it's because that's what the slaves called the plantation owner's wife, others dispute that because it was a woman who came up with the Ole Miss name and it was actually a shortened form of Ol' Mississippi.

I've also seen that it came from the name of a native tree that starts with Miss- (the full name escapes me at the moment) as they were called Ole Miss because they'd survive long hot days better than other trees in the area.

Anyhoo... go Hoosiers!

Max Headroom 10028 desperate attention whore postings

03-22-13, 09:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: NCAA Tournament complaining thread"
So far, just Colorado State has made it to the second round.

And they looked darn good in winning last night, thankyouverymuch.

Somehow I suspect I won't be as happy when I leave Rupp Arena tomorrow evening. *sigh*

cahaya 18904 desperate attention whore postings

03-23-13, 03:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: NCAA Tournament complaining thread"
LAST EDITED ON 03-23-13 AT 03:12 PM (EST)

From a bettor's viewpoint:

The West gets demolished with five upset victories including Harvard over NM and Mississippi over Wisconsin, leaving the two favorites Gonzaga and Ohio State.

Georgetown's early departure in the South leaves Kansas, Florida, Michigan and VCU as serious contenders.

The Midwest has Louisville on the top side and Michigan State and Duke literally duke it out to play Louisville next.

The East had the least upsets with a strong field in Indiana, Syracuse, Miama Fl, Marquette, Illinois and Butler!

So far my picks are 22/32 with 3 scratches on the S16 (Wisconsin, New Mexico, and Georgetown) and all E8 teams still in play.

(eta) And just to note, out of a pool of 3.33 million Yahoo players, nobody got a perfect bracket.

Estee 55195 desperate attention whore postings

03-25-13, 11:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: NCAA Tournament complaining thread"
Of those 3.3m, how many had Florida Golf Gulf Coast getting to the third round? America's Team? America's Bracket Destroyers. You could argue the most senior and powerful alumni might have believed in their school, but whoever that group is, the age of Putting Way Too Much Money Into Your College tends to be over forty and they haven't hit it...

The best line I've seen about the situation: 'Hide the high seeds.' I'm sure every coach in that part of the bracket is assuring their team that they're looking at lucky upstarts with no real skill: just take them seriously and it's over. I'm almost as certain every one of those coaches is really hoping they don't have to be the one who tests that.

03-25-13, 11:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: NCAA Tournament complaining thread"
LAST EDITED ON 03-25-13 AT 10:17 PM (EST)

Of the top 5 brackets of 3.3 million, only one had FGCU going to the third round, with their bracket 25/32 in the round of 64 and 15/16 in the round of 32, for 55 out of a possible 64 points.

It's funny, looking at the fantasy profiles of the top 5 bracket players and all of them rate average in their Yahoo amateur/star rating. What they do, though, is post lots and lots of brackets every year and hope the dart hits the bullseye.

In a very large (or huge!) pool, if you want to win it, you need to go against the grain on a fair number of brackets and hope for the right upsets, to differentiate your brackets from the more common brackets. But if you're aiming to get into the top% of all players (which is what I aim for), then you want to go with the consensus of the experts and bookies bracket picks.

So far, I've got 11/16 S16 spots, with a Gonzaga scratch in the E8 and F4, leaving 7/8 E8 and 3/4 F4 spots still in play (except for one of three pools where I penciled in Ohio State instead of Gonzaga for the F4), enough to put my picks in the top 10% in the public pools.

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

03-24-13, 07:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "Closing in on 7:15 pm Sunday"
No where near being finished with the game. If the boys in Carolina Blue are going to make TAR this late they had better start playing better.

universityofkentuckyrocks 2572 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

03-28-13, 07:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail universityofkentuckyrocks Click to send private message to universityofkentuckyrocks Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: NCAA Tournament complaining thread"
My complaint is that neither UK or Murray State is in. The other complaint is that the University of Looserville is.

ukrocks got a blog!

03-29-13, 00:10 AM (EST)
9. "RE: NCAA Tournament complaining thread"
And the Hoosiers drop their game to Syracuse, ouch! Folks are going to be bummed out tomorrow morning in the university office.

There goes a whole pick on my team, damn.

As a consolation (which isn't), I've still got side bets on Louisville and Florida and the Pick 8.

byoffer 15808 desperate attention whore postings

03-30-13, 10:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "Shocking!"
Wichita St on to the Final 4! Ohio St tries to come back, but fails.

Syracuse, who was held to only 39 points in a bad loss to Georgetown earlier in the season, holds Marquette to only 39 today to book their ticket. Orange in the Final 4!!

04-02-13, 02:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail aethelstan Click to send private message to aethelstan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Shocking!"
I'm always happy when the mid-majors do well but I've always had a soft spot for the MVC. I think it's because of some sweet 16 cinderella runs in the late 90s/early 00s as well as having SW Miss St snubbed despite having an RPI ranked 20th one year. I think of them as a true mid-major. The A-10 and MWC may not be BCS schools but those are still some pretty big schools, by and large and regularly expect multiple bids.

I wonder if the NCAA and the CIS (Canadian Inter-university Sports) would consider teaming up and considering Canada a conference getting 1 automatic bid (and, potentially, an at large bid). The Carleton Ravens (10 time or so Canadian champion) regularly schedule some pre-season games with some US colleges and the games are competitive. There was a recent interview with Dave Smart, their coach, and he was asked how his team would rank. He figured that they'd be somewhere in the 9-12 seed range, given who they played this year, which seems reasonable to me.

04-03-13, 00:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Shocking!"
Really? Carlton has played competitively with NCAA teams? That would (pleasantly) surprise me. I had always assumed that with all the scholarship money in the US that the Canadian teams wouldn't stand a chance. Just from an athlete perspective alone, all the best Canadian players head south for the money/exposure/etc.

04-03-13, 09:40 AM (EST)
18. "RE: Shocking!"
Really? Carlton has played competitively with NCAA teams?

Carleton has been playing exhibition/pre-season gamse with NCAA Div I teams for quite a number of years. Here are some of the seasons and results I found: You will note that this year, three of the games were tournament teams.

2012-2013
Date - Opponent - Location - Result - Score
Aug. 14 University at Buffalo Bulls Carleton W 77-75
Aug. 18 UNLV Rebels Carleton L 70-74
Aug. 22 Northeastern University Huskies Carleton W 75-62
Oct. 27 Boston College Eagles Boston
Oct. 28 Northeastern University Huskies Northeastern
Nov. 1 Villanova University Wildcats Villanova L 65-59
Nov. 2 La Salle University Explorers La Salle L 61-58

Apparently, they had a big lead against La Salle and the coach is still mad about losing that game.

2011-2012:
Date - Opponent - Location - Result.
Aug. 9 La Salle University Carleton 66-64 Loss
Aug. 10 Illinois State University Carleton 90-80 Win
Aug. 11 University of Central Florida Carleton 93-84 Loss
Aug. 16 University of Akron Carleton 80-76 Loss
Aug. 25 University at Albany Carleton 91-81 Loss
Aug. 26 Saint Louis University Carleton 80-56 Win
Aug. 27 Saint Louis University Carleton 78-73 Win
Sept. 2 Niagara University Carleton 85-55 Win
Sept. 8 University of California, Santa Barbara Carleton 71-61 Win

2010-2011
August 13 New Mexico State @ Carleton L 65-53
August 28 University of Maine @ Carleton L 73-62
September 4 University of Cincinnati @ Carleton L 87-70

2009-2010
Tuesday, August 18 Ravens v Towson University W 95-83
Sunday, September 6 Ravens St. John’s L 71-54

2008-2009:
Aug. 28 Northeastern Huskies W 77-47
Aug. 30 Kansas Jayhawks L 83-84
Aug. 31 South Alabama Jaguars W 78-59
Sept. 1 Buffalo Bulls W 84-74

2007-2008:
August 31 Illinois Fighting Illini L 72-74 (OT)
September 1 Villanova Wildcats L 46-61
September 2 Alabama Crimson Tide W 83-72

I also found this site: http://cishoops.ca/cis2012/cismatchup.php?Teamone=Carleton&Teamtwo=Boston%20College
which gives a list of Carleton v NCAA Div I schools but there are some discrepancies between the two lists.

03-31-13, 05:55 PM (EST)
11. "Louisville - Duke"
I enjoy watching March Madness, but would have been okay if I had NOT been watching when that Louisville kid snapped his leg. Was that gorier than Joe Theismann? I'm not sure, but it was pretty close.

*shudder*

03-31-13, 06:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Louisville - Duke"
Hopefully it will be easier to repair than it was to see.

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings

04-01-13, 09:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Louisville - Duke"
Seems like I remember a break like that on a soccer field a few years back?

Max Headroom 10028 desperate attention whore postings

04-01-13, 10:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: NCAA Tournament complaining thread"
Having watched Louisville in person for the first two NCAA rounds, I can say from personal experience that they have a very impressive team. My complaint is this: After blowing Duke out last night, there's nobody left to challenge Louisville and the final round games won't be very entertaining to watch.

*checks season schedule*
*sees that Louisville went 2-1 against Syracuse*

Well, maybe there's a little hope after all.

04-01-13, 11:04 AM (EST)
15. "RE: NCAA Tournament complaining thread"
LAST EDITED ON 04-02-13 AT 02:53 PM (EST)

The current line on the Louisville game is -10 to -10½ and Michigan is favored with a line of -2 to -2½. Future odds aren't out yet, but I'd expect Louisville's odds to jump to better than even odds, up from 3/1 at the time of the S16 bets.

(eta) The odds aren't out yet, but the Moneyline is (and I'm too lazy to translate these lines to odds, although there is a formula for it):

Louisville -150
Michigan +250
Syracuse +350
Wichita State +1,000

(eta) The odds:

Louisville 2/3
Michigan 13/4
Syracuse 4/1
Wichita State 12/1

04-06-13, 04:51 PM (EST)
19. "F4 openers"
LAST EDITED ON 04-06-13 AT 05:58 PM (EST)

There's lots of chatter out there about the teams and players and pundits' take on it.

Louisville gets to make the first statement in their quest to dispel Wichita State magic, steadily favored by 10 with the O/U running close to 130 meaning a 70-60 game. I am hazarding to guess (without crunching the numbers) that this might be a bit on the low side, considering that the Cards have beaten their tourney opponents by an average of 22 points (including Duke by the same margin, 85-63).

The Michigan line has dropped from an original two-and-a-half-point-or-three to a-point-in-a-half-or-two. This should be an interesting game to watch, that could go either way, with yet another Big Ten team attempting to crack the Orange zone. The O/U line is again roughly 130, meaning a 66-64 game, and (unlike the first game) this might be on the high side. A good question is, who would be the tougher opponent against a team like Louisville?

04-06-13, 06:33 PM (EST)
20. "RE: F4 openers"
Wichita State jumps out to an 8-0 start with the Cards going 0-4 on the line, and after a few runs up and down the court, the Cards are easily in it with an 11-10 lead.

04-06-13, 07:10 PM (EST)
21. "Half Time"
Wichita so far looks like they aren't going to lay down and give the Cardinals an easy walk are they?

04-06-13, 07:35 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Half Time"
LAST EDITED ON 04-06-13 AT 10:42 PM (EST)

Yup, now it's Wichita 36-30 just coming off the line, but there's still a lot of ball to be played as the offenses come alive.

(eta) Wichita is now up by 11, 43-32 in a 7-2 streak and Louisville has their work cut out for them with fourteen minutes on the clock.

(eta) The Cards come back to within six at 47-41 with a 9-4 streak of their own and the game is in very much in play with a little less than twelve minutes to go.

(eta) Three-fifty to go and Louisville is up by 2 at 60-58, time out with a 60-60 score and this could go to the wire.

(eta) Louisville scores five more to take a five point lead with 65 with just under two minutes to go.

(eta) Wichita gets back within two 68-66 with a bit more than 30 seconds to go with a great offensive bound tip in.

(game final) The Cards take it 72-68 in a hotly contested battle on the court, finally sinking their shots from the line. Who's going to play Louisville next?

04-06-13, 09:33 PM (EST)
23. "MIchigan-Syracuse"
LAST EDITED ON 04-06-13 AT 11:46 PM (EST)

Five minutes gone in the first half and they're 7-7, contesting every possession.

Half-time: Michigan solves the Orange 2-3 zone and scraps out an 11-point lead 36-25 with a lot of lively play.

(eta) Half way into the second half, it's Michigan by 4, 45-41, with the Orange scoring.

(eta) Michigan up by eight, 53-45, a bit more than three minutes to go.

(eta) Still close in the final minute of the game, Michigan slam dunks it for the 61-56 win.

04-08-13, 09:31 PM (EST)
24. "Championship: Louisville-Michigan"
LAST EDITED ON 04-08-13 AT 09:54 PM (EST)

The Cards carry a few points on the spread, but it's really anybody's game at 7-7.

A bit more than eight minutes into the game, the Wolverines are up 20-15 but the Cards still look quite alive with a mid-way slam dunk. Game on.

Michigan goes on a run with good shot selection, up 26-17 after split free throws on the line, and the Cards slam dunk it again to stay in the game, 26-19.

04-08-13, 10:06 PM (EST)
25. "RE: Championship: Louisville-Michigan"
LAST EDITED ON 04-08-13 AT 10:31 PM (EST)

Wow, 33-21 Michigan with a frantic Cards D leaving open a line for a lay up. Still, it's a game.

3:33 to go in the half.

Then it's suddenly 36-32 with a pair of downtown shots and relentless time clock pressure on D. The Cards are within 4.

Slam dunk! Cards one point lead at 37!

04-08-13, 10:25 PM (EST)
26. "Halftime: Michigan 38 Louisville 37"
LAST EDITED ON 04-08-13 AT 11:47 PM (EST)

A hotly contested battle of discipline vs athleticism. The Cards crank up their time clock D and they score in the final three minutes.

Game reset.

Nine plus to go in the second half and it's 60-58 Cards with the ball in play, Cards on the line.

63-60 Cards with a bit less than eight minutes to go and it looks like this could go to the wire, all in.

A pair of dunks on each end takes it to 67-64 and the Cards coast it in to go up 71-65 with four and a half to go at the break.

Three to go and Louisville up by 8, 76-68.

78-74 as the Wolverines knock down 4 from the line, double bonus, with 1:11 to go.

Time out, 80-76, 11.4 to go and it's the Cards on top.

Final: 82-76 Cards, well played.

04-09-13, 00:09 AM (EST)
27. "RE: Championship: Louisville-Michigan"
Louisville wins by 6. Close game, but Michigan made too many mistakes against the Louisville pressure, and Burke (despite his 24 points) just didn't provide the leadership keeping his team in this game.

Maybe coaching was the difference.

In the end, the game wasn't as great as the first half lead us to believe it might be, as Louisville seemed to have that 6 to 8 point lead for about the last 10 minutes, and Michigan just never cut into that.

Michigan was the youngest team in the tournament. I wonder how many of those guys will return?

04-09-13, 01:13 AM (EST)
28. "RE: Championship: Louisville-Michigan"
Well, despite the Michigan team blowing a dozen point lead and young as they are, they're very talented. They certainly made a game of it, but let it slip by them, still within 4 with time left and double foul bonus.

The Cards were incessant ball hawkers on D and and broke several rim-rattling runs, and that was the difference.

trigirl 2844 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

04-21-13, 08:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail trigirl Click to send private message to trigirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Championship: Louisville-Michigan"
Michigan was the youngest team in the tournament. I wonder how many of those guys will return?

Could be awesome! Only Try Burke and Hardaway Jr are declaring! Three new recruits and eight returning players.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •