The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The Red Sox are looking to sign sexy players."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Sports Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 55195 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-16-13, 12:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The Red Sox are looking to sign sexy players."
Because that's how you win in more exciting ways!

(You know, for a given definition of 'exciting'.)

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8846898/terry-francona-book-describes-boston-red-sox-owners-image-conscious

Spin, ownership! Spin!

On the bright side, AyaK finally got some kind of explanation for Carl Crawford.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The Red Sox are looking to sign... AyaK 01-16-13 1
   RE: The Red Sox are looking to sign... PepeLePew13 01-16-13 2
       RE: The Red Sox are looking to sign... AyaK 01-16-13 3
           RE: The Red Sox are looking to sign... PepeLePew13 01-16-13 4
               RE: The Red Sox are looking to sign... AyaK 01-17-13 5
               RE: The Red Sox are looking to sign... AyaK 04-07-13 7
           1-year, incentive-laden deal for Na... AyaK 01-17-13 6

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

AyaK 10083 desperate attention whore postings

01-16-13, 04:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: The Red Sox are looking to sign sexy players."
The truth is, something like this is exactly what I was expecting despite Theo Epstein's unwillingness to say anything negative about the Crawford signing.

Theo understood, in a way that most baseball executives do not, that sometimes discretion about ownership's meddling is the better part of valor. Because he kept his mouth shut, his longtime aide Ben Cherington ended up as the GM in Boston, although subservient to Larry Lucchino. And, after Bobby Valentine made a wreck of Lucchino's "strategy" last year and then carped about it publicly and at length, it looks like Cherington has been given a free hand to rebuild the team his way this year, even if that means Sox ticket sales suffer.

As I noted before, getting the Dodgers to take Carl Crawford was an enormous win for Cherington, even if the price of the deal was both Adrian Gonzalez and Josh Beckett. And the Sox's only off-season moves of note were signing Joel Hanrahan (desperately needed and an absolute steal at the price) and Ryan Dempster (an OK move, even if he isn't a real star).

I know Pepe's beside himself with glee over the Jays' off-season moves, but I thought the acquisition of R.A. Dickey was idiotic. The Jays have Josh Johnson, who will be looking for a HUGE payday in 2014 if he does to the AL East what he did to the NL East, and Brandon Morrow, who looked to be a #1 starter last year, though right now he's as much of a question mark as Jon Lester. Dickey? He found lightning in a bottle last year, but keeping it (especially for a knuckleballer) is a much harder deal.

And Melky Cabrera without 'roids? Back to journeyman status.

Other than 1B, the Sox seem to have defined the 2013 roster as of now: 2b Pedroia, ss Stephen Drew, 3d Middlebrooks, cf Ellsbury, rf Victorino, lf platoon, c Saltalamacchia (or Lavarnway, if Sox can get enough for Salty), p Lester, Buchholz, Lackey, Dempster, Doubront, 8th Bailey, cl Hanrahan.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

PepeLePew13 24731 desperate attention whore postings

01-16-13, 07:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The Red Sox are looking to sign sexy players."
Well, I suppose that Napoli is a sexy player, bum hip and all.

Dickey, lightning in a bottle? You haven't seen his numbers for 2010 and 2011, have you? Take wins and losses out of the equation and Dickey has been one of the best pitchers in all of MLB for three years now, plus he started learning the knuckler late and has fully figured it out now. Knuckleballers can pitch effectively in their late 30s or early 40s as you already know from having Wake (and Dickey just had a better season than Wake has *ever* had). Put Dickey in between two hard throwers in the rotation and some flamethrowers in the BP after him, he'll make the Jays staff that much better even if he doesn't pitch as well as he did last year.

Regarding Josh Johnson, yeah I fully expect he'll only be here for one year, but hopefully he'll turn in a great year to help the Jays this year and then either resign here (Jays now willing to spend if it means winning) or let the returning-from-injury pitchers like Hutchison, Drabek, Perez, and others come back and be the #5 guy in 2014 after they are healthy enough to start down in the stretch drive in rehab. Either way, the pitching is in pretty good shape to absorb losses and injuries in 2013-2015 after being unable to do so this past year.

And we just got Darren Oliver back today! He may be 42 but he's coming off his fifth consecutive ERA-dropping season, these five being his five best MLB seasons of his career.

01-16-13, 11:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: The Red Sox are looking to sign sexy players."
LAST EDITED ON 01-16-13 AT 11:42 PM (EST)

Right now it doesn't look like Napoli is going to be in Boston. After he failed the physical, his agents and the Red Sox have been trying to put a deal together, perhaps for only one year, but there is no buzz, which (to me) means that the Sox are prepared to move on unless Napoli and his agents take whatever changes to the deal that the Sox want.

Let's talk about Dickey. The truth is that, when I look at Dickey, I see Tom Candiotti, who was a better pitcher than Wakefield but nowhere near an ace (or a Cy Young winner). We'll see about Dickey now that he's back in the grind of the AL East.

Again, though, the Jays' player that made the biggest advance last year was Brandon Morrow. Has he really advanced to the next level? We'll know soon.

PepeLePew13 24731 desperate attention whore postings

01-16-13, 11:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: The Red Sox are looking to sign sexy players."
Yeah, Morrow is a real wild card. He could be the ace of the staff or he could end up wildly inconsistent and spending most of the season on the DL. I'm happy that Morrow won't be facing the pressure of leading the staff as he was at the end of the season, so he can just go out there and do his thing with less on his shoulders.

Tom Candiotti was a terrific pitcher but he started the knuckler much earlier in his career than Dickey did (Dickey didn't start until 2006). It's hard to quantify Dickey's knuckler because he started so late and didn't master it until the last three years, so there's no telling how much longer he could keep on mastering it (one year? three years? ten years?) but judging from the history of other knucklers, it seems like a reasonable bet that the three-year contract he's got now is the right risk to take, especially on a remarkably team-friendly rate. Heck, a reliever (Rafael Soriano) is earning quite a bit more money per year for the next two years than Dickey!

01-17-13, 00:32 AM (EST)
5. "RE: The Red Sox are looking to sign sexy players."
. . . which is a prime example of overreacting to a playoff-game failure. Is the Soriano contract the worst one in sports? Perhaps not, but it's certainly one of the worst in baseball.

04-07-13, 03:51 PM (EST)
7. "RE: The Red Sox are looking to sign sexy players."
I just have to note that, after only two starts, R.A. Dickey is 0-2 and has an ERA of 8.44.

Looks like the Mets may have walked away at the right time. I guess they finally learned something from the Bobby Bonilla fiasco.

01-17-13, 01:27 PM (EST)
6. "1-year, incentive-laden deal for Napoli"
Only $5 million guaranteed; he'd need to meet a bunch of incentives to earn the original $13 million, and the second and third years have vanished.

Apparently no one would touch him once the Sox found the hip problem.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130117&content_id=41001278&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •