The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Olympic Sport Reductions"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Sports Forum (Protected)
Original message

byoffer 15808 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-12-13, 11:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Olympic Sport Reductions"
Is wrestling about to get pinned?

I actually don't have a problem with the Olympics cutting sports from time to time. This is necessary if they are to add sports (and I think most will agree that beach volleyball and triathlon are good additions to the Olympics). Personally I would rather see the judged sports cut, especially those with long histories of corruption in the judging *coughboxingcough*. I don't recall hearing much about corruption in wrestling.

Thoughts?

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Olympic Sport Reductions Molaholic 02-13-13 1
 RE: Olympic Sport Reductions Estee 02-13-13 2
   RE: Olympic Sport Reductions bullzeye 02-13-13 3
       RE: Olympic Sport Reductions Estee 02-13-13 4
           RE: Olympic Sport Reductions AyaK 02-13-13 5
               RE: Olympic Sport Reductions bullzeye 02-14-13 9
 RE: Olympic Sport Reductions Starshine 02-13-13 6
   RE: Olympic Sport Reductions byoffer 02-13-13 7
       RE: Olympic Sport Reductions Starshine 02-14-13 8

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Molaholic 8451 desperate attention whore postings

02-13-13, 11:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Olympic Sport Reductions"
Just another example of the inane decisions we get from the IOC.
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Estee 55195 desperate attention whore postings

02-13-13, 12:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Olympic Sport Reductions"
I blame Kurt Angle.

My problem with this: wrestling is one of the original sports. The real original sports. As in 'Now appearing in the Athens Arena'. This is practically banning their own history.

I guess the wrestler bribes just weren't big enough this year.

bullzeye 4956 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

02-13-13, 04:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bullzeye Click to send private message to bullzeye Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Olympic Sport Reductions"
Agree completely. It is also a sport that allows almost universal participation - unlike golf or tennis.

I am hoping the IOC did this because they didn't like the other options - putting wrestling at risk in the fashion may be a way of blocking the others when the hue and cry forces them to vote it back in.

Did I ever mention my great uncle won a medal in wrestling at the Berlin Games?

Estee 55195 desperate attention whore postings

02-13-13, 04:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Olympic Sport Reductions"
The IOC doesn't care about Hue and Cry. The IOC cares about Cash and Carry.

Did I ever mention my great uncle won a medal in wrestling at the Berlin Games?

Nope, first time you've brought it up. Which metal and for what country?

AyaK 10083 desperate attention whore postings

02-13-13, 06:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Olympic Sport Reductions"
LAST EDITED ON 02-13-13 AT 06:01 PM (EST)

A guess? There was only one Canadian medalist in wrestling at the 1936 Games:

Freestyle
Welterweight
(66 – 72 kg)
Gold: Frank Lewis, United States (USA)
Silver: Thure Andersson, Sweden (SWE)
Bronze: Joe Schleimer, Canada (CAN)

Although I generally agree with the Cash and Carry point, this seems to fly in the face of it. I think it's more about how much the Lords of the Rings want to be schmoozed, because there isn't any need to cut wrestling and stay at 25 "core" sports except to create a scarcity (and thus raise the schmoozing value of each slot).

bullzeye 4956 desperate attention whore postings

02-14-13, 12:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bullzeye Click to send private message to bullzeye Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Olympic Sport Reductions"
In fact, he won two medals (Gold and Bronze) at the Berlin Games representing England. While I have held these medals in my hands, I cannot for the life of me remember which sport yielded which medal. I know one was for wrestling, and the other was for boxing.

Starshine 4934 desperate attention whore postings

02-13-13, 06:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Olympic Sport Reductions"
A rather partial article I thought, the Modern Pentathalon is good TV, wrestling is not understandable from a laymans point of view.

Still at least Cricket is back in Rio, and I think that the medallists may be different this time!

Lovely cheese Mooney

Where are Voice of the Beehive when we need them?

byoffer 15808 desperate attention whore postings

02-13-13, 11:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Olympic Sport Reductions"
Modern pentathlon is also a sport that has extremely limited global participation, and come on, do you think the TV audience understands fencing much better than wrestling?

Starshine 4934 desperate attention whore postings

02-14-13, 07:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Olympic Sport Reductions"
48 countries is limited I grant you, and fencing is generally too technical to enjoy, but who doesn't love show-jumping? Add in swimming and running/shooting and you have a fun event. Plus knowing who won at the end is nice.

I think with most sports unless one has actually participated in the sport (or can I say sub-sport for multi-disciplinary events?) then they can be dull. For me basketball, handball, Goalball, Synchronized swimming, wrestling and Volleyball are all duller than paint drying, but then I don't understand them.

Although I don't really understand Judo or Taekwondo either and I think they make great TV.

May the sun always shine on Tribe

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •