The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"NHL expansion?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Sports Forum (Protected)
Original message

AyaK 10083 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-30-13, 05:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"NHL expansion?"
Rumor is that, instead of fixing the weak teams, the NHL will focus on expanding . . . into Metro Toronto and Quebec City. That will leave Seattle as the only viable moving alternative for the broken teams like Phoenix.

Actually, this is more than a rumor, since the source is Paul Kelly, former NHLPA head. Gary Bettman can deny it until he's blue in the face, but he doesn't have a lot of credibility right now. Oh, BTW, the new agreement allows the owners to retain 100% of the fees from expansion teams, just like the old one did.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2013/01/former-nhlpa-boss-says-quebec-city-toronto-candidates-for-expansion.html

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: NHL expansion? Estee 01-30-13 1
   RE: NHL expansion? AyaK 01-31-13 2
       RE: NHL expansion? Estee 01-31-13 3
 RE: NHL expansion? HobbsofMI 02-01-13 4
 RE: NHL expansion? Colonel Zoidberg 02-01-13 5
   RE: NHL expansion? AyaK 02-01-13 6
       RE: NHL expansion? Colonel Zoidberg 02-04-13 7
 RE: NHL expansion? michel 02-04-13 8

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Estee 55195 desperate attention whore postings

01-30-13, 06:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: NHL expansion?"
And given the locations, those new franchises would be likely to succeed unless the fresh owners were idiots on the scale of the Maloofs on up -- oh, who am I kidding: they'll get along for a few years even after Bettman finds the greatest morons Canada has to offer. And the old guard will happily spend their way through the entrance money, not do anything about shoring up the sport as a whole and, when most teams are losing cash again at the end of the current CBA, lock the players out and blame them.

Gee, I could work for fivethirtyeight.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

01-31-13, 04:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: NHL expansion?"
The NHL is easier to predict than elections are.

The NHL would like to be where the NBA is -- a league in which numbskulls like Robert Pera (Memphis) and Thanksdad Dolan (NYK) can completely mismanage a franchise and still rake in big bucks.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--rudy-gay-trade-shows-lebron-james-the-future--super-team-era-ending--065716242.html

Estee 55195 desperate attention whore postings

01-31-13, 04:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: NHL expansion?"
*solemn nod* We're actually discussing the Gay trade in main OT right now.

(Sort of.)

I still hold out hope for the Bobcats to somehow lose money, though. If only because it ultimately turns out Jordan kept all of it.

HobbsofMI 15959 desperate attention whore postings

02-01-13, 02:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: NHL expansion?"
This? after they finally got back to work?

FIRE BETTMAN!

sig Syren, bouncy by IceCat, bobble head by Tribephyl, and snoglobe by agman

Colonel Zoidberg 3645 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

02-01-13, 06:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to send private message to Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: NHL expansion?"
Arg...this is why I'm refusing to watch hockey. I won't go to games. I won't buy memorabilia. I won't even look at the screen if NHL highlights are on. And if the local game is on the radio, I turn my radio off. This lobster is on strike.

That said, the NHL needs more of a focus in Canada and the northern US and less of these jokes in the southern US. Phoenix having an NHL team makes about as much sense as...I don't know, Manhattan having a farm.

If I were NHL commissioner, the first step I would make would be to, instead of expanding into Toronto and Quebec City, to move existing franchises there...say, the Coyotes and Panthers. Of course, I'd get rid of some franchises, too...cut the total to 24. That seems like enough. Go with four divisions. Get rid of...let's see...the Islanders, Panthers, Lightning, Hurricanes, Blue Jackets, Predators, Coyotes, and Ducks. Maybe take the two most viable franchises and move them northward. So after that little swing, we have 15 teams in the US and 9 in Canada.

After that, I'd take the three weakest US franchises and move them to Canada. Then we can fill in some other US gaps and put a team in Seattle and, just for the hell of it, try putting a team in Alaska. So after I get done with the NHL, here's how it would look.

US franchises: Boston, New York (the Rangers - goodbye to the other teams,) Philly, Washington, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Detroit, Chicago, Minnesota, Colorado, Seattle, Anchorage
Canada franchises: Montreal, Quebec City, Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton, London, Winnipeg, Saskatchewan (somewhere,) Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, and...arg...Halifax would be awesome but it screws up the geography...Victoria, I guess.

Each team plays in a six-team division with playoffs inside the division, each team gets at least a home-and-home with every other team, and then the division champs in the US play each other while the division champs in Canada play each other. Then the US champ plays the Canada champ. So it's US-Canada every year. Honestly, it would be awesome.

Of course, the NHL can't get that done because they can't get past step one: Fire Bettman.

02-01-13, 07:15 PM (EST)
6. "RE: NHL expansion?"
Having a team in Saskatchewan would be about like having a major league baseball team in Des Moines, Iowa, because Des Moines is slightly larger than either Saskatoon or Regina. It's not going to work.

I still think Dallas is the weakest franchise after Phoenix. There's just no hockey in the southwest. By contrast, Carolina and Nashville have a chance. And even the late Paul Newman would argue that Tampa Bay has a chance:

"See, they're gettin' a bunch of old geezers down there from the northeast. And what do you think those old geezers really miss in Florida? Hockey. Their own team. A Saturday-night game."

Colonel Zoidberg 3645 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

02-04-13, 06:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to send private message to Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: NHL expansion?"
I dunno...smaller markets can work if it's the only game in town and the fan base is dedicated. I picture a lesser city in Canada working as kind of the Green Bay of the NHL. Granted, the Packers have Milwaukee as a feeder, and a decent-size city would help, but they don't have to fill 90,000-something seats, either.

Dallas worked for a while as a hockey city. I don't think Phoenix ever worked. Nashville is possible but Carolina looks to me like a fair-weather city. And don't get me started on the Devils' fan base.

I'd start with axing the Coyotes and Panthers, and by "axing" I mean "possibly relocating." If they have to stick with the current 30 teams, and frankly that's a little excessive, then Quebec City and Hamilton are better choices than Miami or Phoenix.

After that, I'd move the Devils and Blue Jackets and put the Islanders and Stars on watch. I'm from Columbus - and it's no hockey town. The city's all but bored with the team. If it isn't Ohio State football, the city doesn't care. Seattle, on the other hand, might. For that matter, so might Halifax. It's a decent size and it could work.

I'd also get the Ducks out of Anaheim; one team in LA is enough. Salt Lake City comes to mind for a new NHL city.

So let's see...if we keep all 30 teams and just move franchises around, we'd have 9 in Canada and more in cold climates if we do what I suggest above. Just for grins, though, let's say the Stars move to...I don't know, Victoria. Make it an even 10 in Canada.

So let's see...the new cities with teams would be Halifax, Quebec City, Hamilton, Victoria, Seattle, SLC.

So in one division, let's see...the two NYC teams left, the Pens, Flyers, Canes, Caps, and Lightning.
In another...the Bruins, Sabres, and a metric fvckton of Canadian teams. The Sens, Leafs, Habs, and the other three new additions from Halifax, Quebec, and Hamilton.
In the West...the Canucks join the Seattle and Victoria franchises, along with the Sharks, Kings, Avs, and the new SLC team.
The rest...the Wings, Preds, Hawks, Blues, Wild, Jets, Flames, and Oilers.

It kind of avoids the whole U.S. vs. Canada thing, but...well, that's just a cool idea.

michel 10812 desperate attention whore postings

02-04-13, 10:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: NHL expansion?"
Of course they'll do expansion instead of relocation. With expansion they get $600million to share whereas buying the Coyotes would be about $200M. If you think about it, Québec and Markham would be successful and would therefore have to give money to teams like the Coyotes, the Islanders and the other losers.

Bettman's strategy looks a lot like a Ponzi scheme.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •