The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Jonathan Vaughters and doping in cycling"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Sports Forum (Protected)
Original message

AyaK 10083 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-19-12, 05:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Jonathan Vaughters and doping in cycling"
After a great year for Garmin, with its first Grand Tour victory and a come-from-behind triumph in the US Pro Cycling Challenge, Jonathan Vaughters has succeeded in pulling the emphasis away from his team's cycling by outing three of his team's star riders: US Pro Cycling Challenge winner Christian Vande Velde, Tom Danielsen and Dave Zabriskie, as former dopers supposedly "gone clean".

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/09/news/uci-suddenly-develops-interest-in-garmin-trio-after-jonathan-vaughters-online-revelations_237857?utm_medium=whats-hot

Vaughters' story is basically consistent with a world in which 100% of "top team" cyclists doped and apparently had doped continuously since the mid-1960s.

But I just used that as a setup for this story from Deadspin, which explains better than anything else I've ever seen why Vaughters might have enjoyed taking Armstrong out.

http://deadspin.com/5938095/an-all+time-great-lance-armstrong-being-a-#####-story

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Jonathan Vaughters and doping i... byoffer 09-20-12 1
 Kiki's in on it too? trigirl 10-01-12 2
 USADA Report trigirl 10-10-12 3
   RE: USADA Report CTgirl 10-11-12 5
       RE: USADA Report aethelstan 10-11-12 8
   RE: USADA Report byoffer 10-11-12 6
       Redacted Names in USADA "Reasoned D... trigirl 10-12-12 9
 Olympics trigirl 10-10-12 4
   RE: Olympics aethelstan 10-11-12 7
       RE: Olympics AyaK 10-13-12 10
           RE: Olympics michel 10-16-12 11
               RE: Olympics AyaK 10-16-12 12
 Nike drops Armstrong. Estee 10-17-12 13
   RE: Nike drops Armstrong. Round Robin 10-18-12 14
       RE: Nike drops Armstrong. Estee 10-18-12 16
           RE: Nike drops Armstrong. Round Robin 10-22-12 22
               RE: Nike drops Armstrong. trigirl 10-22-12 24
   RE: Nike drops Armstrong. byoffer 10-18-12 15
   RE: Nike drops Armstrong. trigirl 10-18-12 17
       Oakley drops Armstrong. trigirl 10-22-12 26
           RE: Oakley drops Armstrong. Estee 10-22-12 27
 Levi Leipheimer trigirl 10-18-12 18
   Fallout AyaK 10-19-12 19
       RE: Fallout Estee 10-19-12 20
           RE: Fallout AyaK 10-19-12 21
 Banned for life PepeLePew13 10-22-12 23
 Some Great Reading trigirl 10-22-12 25
   RE: Some Great Reading Estee 10-22-12 28
       RE: Some Great Reading AyaK 10-22-12 29
           Omerta holds AyaK 10-23-12 31
 My biggest regret newsomewayne 10-22-12 30
 RE: Jonathan Vaughters and doping i... kingfish 10-23-12 32
   RE: Jonathan Vaughters and doping i... AyaK 12-14-12 33
       RE: Jonathan Vaughters and doping i... kingfish 12-14-12 34
 RE: Jonathan Vaughters and doping i... trigirl 12-17-12 35
   Armstrong AyaK 12-17-12 36
 Hornet vs. wasp, court division. Estee 12-24-12 37
   RE: Hornet vs. wasp, court division... byoffer 12-25-12 38
 But who's left to bring down with h... Estee 01-05-13 39
 Armstrong interviewed by Oprah: ai... Estee 01-11-13 40
   Oh, really. Estee 01-12-13 41
       RE: Oh, really. Snidget 01-15-13 43
           RE: Oh, really. cahaya 01-15-13 45
           RE: Oh, really. kingfish 01-15-13 47
 What's the motivation? Estee 01-15-13 42
   RE: What's the motivation? byoffer 01-15-13 44
       RE: What's the motivation? Estee 01-15-13 46
           RE: What's the motivation? byoffer 01-15-13 48
 Question for AyaK PepeLePew13 01-16-13 49
   RE: Question for AyaK Estee 01-16-13 50
       RE: Question for AyaK AyaK 01-16-13 51
           RE: Question for AyaK PepeLePew13 01-16-13 53
   Bingostrong! trigirl 01-16-13 52
 IOC piling on byoffer 01-17-13 54
 IOC takes back bronze medal. Estee 01-17-13 55
   RE: IOC takes back bronze medal. kingfish 01-17-13 56
 Lance and Oprah byoffer 01-17-13 57
   RE: Lance and Oprah Estee 01-17-13 58
       RE: Lance and Oprah AyaK 01-17-13 59
           RE: Lance and Oprah agman 01-17-13 60
   RE: Lance and Oprah byoffer 01-18-13 61
 Transcripts of Night #1. Estee 01-18-13 62
   RE: Transcripts of Night #1. cahaya 01-18-13 63
 Still more transcript. Estee 01-19-13 64
 Courtroom aspects. Estee 01-19-13 65
   RE: Courtroom aspects. AyaK 01-22-13 68
 RE: Jonathan Vaughters and doping i... Starshine 01-21-13 66
   RE: Jonathan Vaughters and doping i... Estee 01-21-13 67
 Sheryl Crow Klink speaks. Estee 01-22-13 69
   RE: Sheryl Crow Klink speaks... AyaK 01-23-13 70
       RE: Sheryl Crow Klink speaks... Estee 01-23-13 71
 Lance action mural AyaK 01-23-13 72

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

byoffer 15808 desperate attention whore postings

09-20-12, 04:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Jonathan Vaughters and doping in cycling"
Thanks for posting that, AyaK.

What's the saying about getting more flies with honey than with sh!t? I guess Lance (and Bonds) weren't taught that as kids.

Interesting story about the wasp sting. I can't imagine ridnig along at 30-40km/hr (I think that is what they average) and having a wasp get stuck behind my sunglasses. I would have thought that they could just do a drug test on Vaughters to see if he was clean, and then give him the meds he needed to enable him to see again. I can't imagine that someone would be clean and then start using cortizone during the race to get an advantage.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

trigirl 2844 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

10-01-12, 01:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail trigirl Click to send private message to trigirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "Kiki's in on it too?"
...Armstrong and his wife referred to EPO as butter – due to the location in the fridge where it was stored by them.

...USADA CEO Travis Tygart recently told l’Equipe that when the full details are published, that the details will be “terrible, 30 times greater than everything that has come out until now, through books or investigations."

Link

I have to say, hopefully there is a really good screenwriter out there doing something on this. This stuff keeps getting better and better! Clear your calendar on October 15th for some fun reading.

Also thought this was kinda fun. No Lance though....

Cycling Simpsons

10-10-12, 09:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail trigirl Click to send private message to trigirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "USADA Report"
The full report has gone off to the UCI but the 202 page summary is out there. Summary

This one is sad. I know we shouldn't feel sorry for professional athletes who profited from cheating, but you have to think it was not an easy choice.
Dave Zabriskie

CTgirl 7073 desperate attention whore postings

10-11-12, 09:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail CTgirl Click to send private message to CTgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: USADA Report"
The entire situation is sad - how many did it because they really wanted to and how many did it because they felt forced, then there are those who just followed along because everyone else did it. I hope this report helps the sport to continue to clean itself up.

What happened in 2006? Almost all of the US riders giving affidavits said they stopped doping in 2006. It's kind of suspicious to me. Is there a statue of limitation on punishment depending on how long the abuse took place?

aethelstan 4348 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

10-11-12, 03:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail aethelstan Click to send private message to aethelstan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: USADA Report"
2006 was the year Floyd Landis won the Tour and was caught doping. That probably scared enough of those that what they were using was now detectable.

One thing that I wonder about is when I go to give blood, they look at my arms to see whether there are any 'train tracks' - evidence of multiple, regular needle use. Seems to me that all the doping cyclists would have very visible 'train tracks' in their arms. Would any cyclists be injecting legal substances in their arms?

10-11-12, 09:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: USADA Report"
Wow, that David Zabriskie affidavit is devastating and fascinating. Makes me totally understand how one could get trapped into using the PEDs.

I am curious that some names are covered up in that affidavit and others are not. Why?

While I feel no remorse for Lance, I think this sort of thing really shows how it was the team leaders and doctors who were driving this forward. I hope that all of those guys get lifetime bans from sport.

10-12-12, 07:21 PM (EST)
9. "Redacted Names in USADA "Reasoned Decision""
I wondered if it had to to with the fact that they are not American and do not fall under USADA. Although...in saying that, Bruyneel is Belgian. But he did work for US Postal. Hmmm. Not sure.

Here is a forum that has done some Columbo'ing and seems to have a pretty good idea who the riders in the report really are.

Key to Redacted Riders

ps. Speaking of Bruyneel...he got fired from Radio Shack today. Cancellara said "it's him or me".

10-10-12, 11:38 PM (EST)
4. "Olympics"
Looks like the early speculation about Hincapie, Leipheimer, Zabriskie and VdV withdrawing from Olympic consideration was correct. It was part of their plea agreement afterall.

aethelstan 4348 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

10-11-12, 03:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail aethelstan Click to send private message to aethelstan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Olympics"
Hincapie's name is significant. Seems to me that Ayak's been saying for some time that if Hincapie testifies against Armstrong it will carry more weight than the others combined.

10-13-12, 08:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Olympics"
Right. Hincapie was the star of U.S. Postal before Armstrong joined, so he would have been there for everything.

What this report proves is the fact that, as we thought, nobody on the top teams was riding clean in the Tours from at least 1998 through 2007 or so.

I just don't have the time to get into this now, since I need to finish my income taxes by tomorrow. Maybe next week.

michel 10812 desperate attention whore postings

10-16-12, 10:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Olympics"
I think we could also add that it proves Armstrong is a liar.

10-16-12, 11:55 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Olympics"
True, except we already knew that Armstrong used EPO in 1999 and blood transfusions thereafter during his TdF winning streak. What we didn't know was that it was part of a team-wide program.

Remember when Armstrong said that he washed his hands of Dr. Ferrari after the 2003 season, when it was reported in the European press about Ferrari's work in blood doping? And then we learned during Armstrong's comeback that he had never stopped working with Dr. Ferrari, even after his "retirement"?

Estee 55195 desperate attention whore postings

10-17-12, 03:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "Nike drops Armstrong."
LAST EDITED ON 10-17-12 AT 03:01 PM (EST)

That plus the SI cover. Not one of his better days.

Have they ever taken back a Sportsman Of The Year? First time could be within the month.

Round Robin 2243 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

10-18-12, 01:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Round%20Robin Click to send private message to Round%20Robin Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Nike drops Armstrong."
I heard one of the ESPN weenies say today that he thinks Armstrong might be getting ready to sing, and will take a lot of people in the cycling business with him if he does. I thought a lot of cyclists had already sung themselves and taken Armstrong down with them, so if he comes out now and sings, who can he take with him?

10-18-12, 08:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Nike drops Armstrong."
Not sure -- but the SI article paints him as a 'If you betray me, I will destroy you' type across the board. They have betrayed him and now he will destroy them.

He just got kicked out of his own foundation. It's not as if he has much else to do.

Round Robin 2243 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

10-22-12, 10:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Round%20Robin Click to send private message to Round%20Robin Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Nike drops Armstrong."
Now that he just finally got stripped of his Tour titles, how much you wanna bet he writes a tell all book? I'm sure he'll be looking for some way to make back some of the money he's lost.

10-22-12, 12:56 PM (EST)
24. "RE: Nike drops Armstrong."
The current suggested title of his book is "I told you, it wasn't about the bike".

10-18-12, 08:27 AM (EST)
15. "RE: Nike drops Armstrong."
This is only the second time ever that Nike has formally dropped an athlete. The only other was Michael Vick. Pretty low company that Lance is in!

10-18-12, 12:44 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Nike drops Armstrong."
...and Trek, and Giro helmets, and Radioshack, and Anheuser-Busch. Even Honey Stinger is removing him from their marketing and he has ownership in the company. Only hold-out is Oakley.

I have read that he WILL NOT ever admit to doping. There are potential purjury charges (hello, Marion Jones) and there are multiple lawsuits.

The Sunday Times have already hinted they are going after the one million they had to pay in libel charges after the David Walsh stories (that are now shown to be totally true). Plus SCA Promotions who had to pay Lance a 5 million bonus for his 5th TDF and refused on the basis of doping rumours. They not only had to pay him, they had to pay his legal fees. Ended up costing them 7.5 million.

Today I read that even the Australian gov't is considering a lawsuit for fees paid for his appearance at the TDU. Link

I would love to be a fly-on-the-wall in the Lance war room. What spinning is going on, do you think?

10-22-12, 01:16 PM (EST)
26. "Oakley drops Armstrong."
Oakley finally dumps him. That's everyone.

Wonder if the non-sponsors are going to object to him wearing their stuff! lol. Lance wearing ASICS?

10-22-12, 01:35 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Oakley drops Armstrong."
I remember one clothing company going to the wall so they could make a Jersey Shore cast member stop wearing their product. Is EPOstrong more inherently despicable than a MTV reality star?

Oooh, fun question.

10-18-12, 12:52 PM (EST)
18. "Levi Leipheimer"
Have always been a fan, but have to say he doesn't sound too sorry. More of the "everyone was doing it stuff"

Interview with Levi.

Intersting take from Gerard Vroomen (one of the Cervelo founders). Gerard's Blog

fyi: The previous "positive" was for ephedrine which was said to be for allergies. Possible, totally. However, I had some ephedrine for a cold once and went out on a training ride. Noticed a huge difference....and I am a middle-aged recreational rider. He totally would have known what he was doing!

10-19-12, 06:13 PM (EST)
19. "Fallout"
LAST EDITED ON 10-19-12 AT 06:26 PM (EST)

Leipheimer fired by OPQS; Rabobank withdraws from pro cycling after 17 years of sponsorship (of both men's and women's teams) in the most bike-crazy country in the world.

This is just the beginning. The UCI ProTour is going to look as if it was hit by a hurricane after this is all over,

http://news.yahoo.com/dutch-bank-pulls-cycling-sponsorship-134827838--finance.html

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/10/news/tygart-code-of-silence-claimed-leipheimer_261684

Apparently, authorities have now caught Michele Scarponi and Denis Menchov, two Grand Tour winners AFTER Armstrong, through a wiretap in 2010.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/10/news/scarponi-menchov-said-to-have-worked-with-ferrari-in-late-2000s_261959

I'm not convinced that pro cycling can survive the revelation that everyone cheated and may still be cheating, even though this isn't shocking news within cycling, because it's shocking news to the public at large.

10-19-12, 06:30 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Fallout"
So when Armstrong said he'd take everyone down with him, he meant everyone.

10-19-12, 07:44 PM (EST)
21. "RE: Fallout"
Sure looks that way. Including all of pro cycling.

The problem is not that some people talked. The problem is WHO talked -- people who weren't under suspicion at all admitted to having been part of organized doping. None of these people had grudges against Armstrong, unlike Floyd Landis and Tyler Hamilton.

http://professional.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444799904578048672603746526.html?mg=reno64-wsj

Leipheimer: Having made sacrifices for my dream, several years after I turned pro, I came to see cycling for what it was: a sport where some team managers and doctors coordinated and facilitated the use of banned substances and methods by their riders. A sport where the athletes at the highest level—perhaps without exception—used banned substances. A sport where doping was so accepted that riders from different teams—who were competitors on the road—coordinated their doping to keep up with other riders doing the same thing.

When you say that, you've said it all.

PepeLePew13 24731 desperate attention whore postings

10-22-12, 10:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "Banned for life"
Well... about time. Good riddance, Lance.

10-22-12, 01:10 PM (EST)
25. "Some Great Reading"
Paul Kimmage is one of the Irish journos who didn't play by Lance's rules. Interesting read. Big Reveal of Cancer Jesus

New York Times. Wall of Silence Falls

Most revealing look we will get from Kristin Armstrong? Runners World Blog

10-22-12, 01:57 PM (EST)
28. "RE: Some Great Reading"
Cancer Jesus

One of the better questions SI raised was whether doping and the other drug regimens could have jump-started the cancer in the first place. Give yourself a potentially fatal disease, just manage to beat it -- and then right back to the drugs. Or in this case, roll the rock in front of your tomb, then roll it away, and then pretend it was never there while a team of professionals go look for a bigger rock.

The next role he'll play in his life -- possibly for the rest of this one -- is Professional Victim. The stigmata can only help.

10-22-12, 02:56 PM (EST)
29. "RE: Some Great Reading"
People inside cycling have been asking the cancer-causing question ever since the 2006 TdF.

If Armstrong were doing the steroid regimen that Floyd Landis was later found guilty of doing (although he continues to deny that he did it to this day) -- placing a testoterone pack on his scrotum to help recover from his fatigue during the 2006 TdF -- the answer to SI's question is "yes."

If Armstrong were doing EPO, which is what he was using during the 1998 Vuelta and the 1999 TdF, or blood doping, which is what he used after that until his first retirement, the answer is "no."

But even with all the evidence, we don't know for certain what drug regimen Armstrong was doing in his last days at Motorola, because he probably wasn't with Cofidis long enough before the cancer was detected to have something he did there cause problems. The best answer we have is the testimony of Frankie and Betsy Andreu, and it doesn't sound like what he was doing would have caused the cancer.

I'm still wondering about Miguel Indurain's drug regimen. Has anyone seen any discussion of that?

10-23-12, 11:46 AM (EST)
31. "Omerta holds"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/20048066

newsomewayne 9065 desperate attention whore postings

10-22-12, 04:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail newsomewayne Click to send private message to newsomewayne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "My biggest regret"
My biggest regret about this whole scandal is that now they will have to digitally alter the ending of Dodgeball.

kingfish 16088 desperate attention whore postings

10-23-12, 10:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: Jonathan Vaughters and doping in cycling"
So, if everybody (almost everybody?) was doing this as the testimony seems to indicate, who would be the new winners? And would their samples be analyzed for years to come, and would they undergo years of investigation too?

Or would those years be designated "No one competed" years?

And could it be proven that any winners/major competitors since doping began (in the 60s?) didn't do it?

I am not advocating doping, but shouldn't there be a statute of limitations, just as a practical matter?

12-14-12, 12:33 PM (EST)
33. "RE: Jonathan Vaughters and doping in cycling"
In fact, there is. The statute of limitations is 7 years. However, doping uncovered within that 7-year period that extends back to prior periods can be considered at the same time.

12-14-12, 08:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "RE: Jonathan Vaughters and doping in cycling"
If a rider is caught within seven years of the act, then they (Enforcement) can look beyond that seven years and act based on what they find. But if he manages to not get caught for seven years, then he's out of jeopardy, even if he were proven to have doped prior to that?

Not sure what to think about that, but knee jerk reaction is that is sounds like the the SOL is a bit irrelevant.

12-17-12, 02:09 AM (EST)
35. "RE: Jonathan Vaughters and doping in cycling"
Sally Jenkins article "Why I am not angry at Lance Armstrong"
....because you made a boatload of money off of him?

Vaughters response on twitter:
" @sallyjenx, many, many cyclists work every bit as hard as Lance. However, he is the most cruel, inhumane, and sociopathic cyclist I've met"
Ouch! Love it.

12-17-12, 05:02 PM (EST)
36. "Armstrong"
I'm sure Vaughters, Frankie Andreu, Leipheimer, and scores of other cyclists worked as hard as Armstrong, But that's not enough in any sport. It takes natural ability. As we've learned in other sports, a lot of people with that natural ability are arrogant and, basically, sociopathic.

Here's how I would rephrase Jenkins' point:

Simply, Lance Armstrong on drugs was better than all of the other top cyclists on drugs. And he was able to dominate for longer than anyone else, ever, on a level playing field.

This isn't even like baseball, where there were some clean people at the top levels (such as the pre-Balco Barry Bonds). It simply wasn't possible to be a top-level cyclist and not be using.

12-24-12, 01:55 PM (EST)
37. "Hornet vs. wasp, court division."
http://espn.go.com/sports/endurance/story/_/id/8774651/lance-armstrong-sued-sunday-times-libel-settlement

12-25-12, 00:45 AM (EST)
38. "RE: Hornet vs. wasp, court division."
Interesting. There must be precedence for this sort of thing, where a libel lawsuit gets proven after an initial settlement.

AyaK?

01-05-13, 10:52 AM (EST)
39. "But who's left to bring down with him?"
http://espn.go.com/sports/endurance/story/_/id/8814744/report-lance-armstrong-banned-competing-all-olympic-sports-considering-publicly-admitting-used-performance-enhancing-drugs

Clearly he was inspired by Congress. Welcome to Petty Vengeance Week!

01-11-13, 03:44 PM (EST)
40. "Armstrong interviewed by Oprah: airs 1/17."
So in case you're wondering:

1. Whatever my DAW limit is, that was above it.
2. Yes, I have already been violently ill.

01-12-13, 05:30 PM (EST)
41. "Oh, really."
ESPN is claiming the interview (which records tomorrow) will contain some degree of confession and apology. I'll believe it when I read the transcripts after someone else sees it.

But -- consider Winfrey's position. Her network is known to be in fairly serious difficulty. She's sunk a lot of money -- someone's money, anyway -- into this, and the various retools may not be catching on. She needs a big story to draw attention and get her ratings up, at least for one day. And she's still got money left -- money which could be paid to someone who has legal troubles on the horizon and could use some cash to pay them off.

I'm not saying she absolutely bribed her way into this. I wouldn't be surprised by that either.

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

01-15-13, 01:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
43. "RE: Oh, really."
Sounds like it made a big enough splash in the news that she's going to up the % of the interviewed aired. I think originally it was going to be one night for 90 minutes now I'm hearing over two nights and at least a total of 2.5 hours.

That should be plenty of time to plug the other shows on the network.

Not sure why he'd come clean now other than do it before someone else so you get the deal with the prosecution rather than someone testifying against you.

cahaya 18904 desperate attention whore postings

01-15-13, 01:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
45. "RE: Oh, really."
LAST EDITED ON 01-15-13 AT 01:51 PM (EST)

Yes, it's undeniable logic behind the Prisoner's Cyclist's Dilemma.

One premise of this logic problem is that they're both guilty.

(eta) Ironically enough, after posting this, I found a Wired op-ed that references Lance Armstrong and the Prisoner's Dilemma!

01-15-13, 03:16 PM (EST)
47. "RE: Oh, really."
That's a head scratcher for me too. Why now? To maintain his innocence for so long, it would seemingly have made no sense to capitulate now after all the dominoes have fallen.

Which means (probably) that not quite all the dominoes have fallen, and maybe somehow he thinks that by confessing now he can save something of his charity (which he surely receives some income from) or maybe there is unseen pressure from a holdover sponsor?

01-15-13, 11:52 AM (EST)
42. "What's the motivation?"
Multiple sources claim Armstrong confessed to at least some of the violations and said he'd be willing to testify against others who had doped.

So in other words, this is just the promised revenge all wrapped up in crocodile tears and false redemption, using someone who blew the last version of this story which fell into her hands in order to get the lie out.

Yay, consistency!

01-15-13, 01:27 PM (EST)
44. "RE: What's the motivation?"
So you don't think Oprah asked any of the questions suggested by Dan Wetzel?

No surprises there.

There are a few ways this can go, and understanding Lance's reasons for doing it might help.

1. He wants to fess up to start the healing process. He has to be apologetic and sound sincere. The best he can hope for is some level of sympathy, and hope to start to become forgiven.

2. He admits a bit, but goes on the offensive. Blame the whole sport, and hope that some feel he had no choice. People already hate him - can it get any worse? Could anyone be naive enough to believe whatever vitriol might come from this proven liar? This does nothing to address the way Lance attacked so many people over the years, but he likely doesn't care.

#1 is probably a smarter approach, but #2 is probably more Lance.

01-15-13, 03:14 PM (EST)
46. "RE: What's the motivation?"
I think there were enough softballs pitched to start a beer doping league, yes. Oprah's never impressed me as an interviewer and generally lets the other party dictate the flow when her ratings life isn't at stake.

As for your options, I'll go #2 and make it harsher. He may want to see the whole sport burn.

(One of the stories I saw claimed he intends to give back some money. To who? How much? And whose money was it originally? Say, anyone check his foundation's accounting lately? But those libel people have to be justifiably drooling.)

Of all the possible papers, the Post may have pinned it down best. Their front page was a picture showing one of the yellow charity bracelets -- with one letter removed.

The effective headline: LIESTRONG.

01-15-13, 03:45 PM (EST)
48. "RE: What's the motivation?"
That is gold!

01-16-13, 09:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
49. "Question for AyaK"
Is there any recourse for the many, many victims who had their names dragged through the mud or lost their jobs because they wouldn't bow to the mighty Liestrong? (The Andreus as an example - their reputations and careers were destroyed for quite some time and they'll never be able to get the last 13 years back)

01-16-13, 12:31 PM (EST)
50. "RE: Question for AyaK"
I can't speak for AyaK, but I just glimpsed a few seconds of CNN. They were reporting that several parties (not identified) were planning to sue and had one of the attorneys on. The little bit I saw had that lawyer saying that he was waiting on the actual interview to see just what had been admitted before filing the paperwork. Recovery of money was mentioned, so this is probably a Tour attorney or one of the former sponsors.

As for those who lost reputation... I'm sure they'll be heard from, in court or out.

01-16-13, 02:30 PM (EST)
51. "RE: Question for AyaK"
LAST EDITED ON 01-16-13 AT 05:01 PM (EST)

I think there is little chance for recovery except in the case of Armstrong's suit against the British newspaper. In that case, it all depends upon the terms of settlement, because I believe there was an agreement between the parties that ended the case. In other words, it doesn't just depend upon "equity" -- it depends upon the actual terms.

I'm certain that there are people who want to sue, because there isn't any harm in trying out a novel legal theory if the litigation can be prepared on the cheap. I don't expect Frankie Andreu to be a party to any suit, though.

As I've said before, I thought Armstrong made the comeback with Astana because he wanted to see what he could do while riding clean, although he wasn't about to admit that he had ever ridden "not clean". We'll see what he says about that.

FWIW, and as I've also posted before, I doubt there was a clean rider in the Top 20 of the Tour until after Operation Puerto.

01-16-13, 07:23 PM (EST)
53. "RE: Question for AyaK"
Yeah I certainly don't think there were any clean riders in the top 20 either, and I'm not so concerned about the fact that Liestrong won all those Tours as the next few riders behind him were all most likely juiced as well. I'm a lot more interested in seeing him get his comeuppance because of the holier than thou attitude he displayed and all the careers & reputations of those around him he left in tatters especially with his bullying and aggressive actions forcing many of them to give up their careers or get discarded like a cheap rag.

01-16-13, 04:46 PM (EST)
52. "Bingostrong!"
A fun little game for everyone to play as they watch the interview we have all been waiting for. Feel free to turn it into a drinking game!

01-17-13, 09:49 AM (EST)
54. "IOC piling on"
Interesting timing by the IOC in announcing today that they are stripping Lance of his 2000 Olympic Bronze medal.

More free advertising for the Lance/Oprah show?

01-17-13, 01:09 PM (EST)
55. "IOC takes back bronze medal."
I'm assuming they showed up at his house. Heavily armed.

01-17-13, 05:05 PM (EST)
56. "RE: IOC takes back bronze medal."
LAST EDITED ON 01-17-13 AT 10:12 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 01-17-13 AT 05:06 PM (EST)

And I'm assuming that that medal and all others are in an numbered underground Swiss vault next to left over unclaimed Nazi treasures and UFO corpses.

01-17-13, 05:10 PM (EST)
57. "Lance and Oprah"
So does anyone actually intend to watch? I am curious (about what will and won't be said, and whether or not I get that channel!) but don't really want to pump up their ratings.

01-17-13, 05:30 PM (EST)
58. "RE: Lance and Oprah"
Dear gawds no. I'll read the transcript afterwards, but if Ms. Manipulative wants my fraction of a ratings point, it'll be cash in advance.

01-17-13, 06:07 PM (EST)
59. "RE: Lance and Oprah"
I'm with Estee. There are things I'd like to know, but if Lance is going to tell them (which I doubt), they'll be in the papers.

agman 11158 desperate attention whore postings

01-17-13, 06:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail agman Click to send private message to agman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
60. "RE: Lance and Oprah"
I agree, I'll bet he won't say anything...yet.

01-18-13, 00:09 AM (EST)
61. "RE: Lance and Oprah"
Ha, I forgot all about it until now. Did a (non-steroid) workout instead.

01-18-13, 10:18 AM (EST)
62. "Transcripts of Night #1."
Nothing complete seems to be up yet, so I'm using two links and hoping they mutually cover the gaps.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/cycling/story/_/id/8854829/situation-was-one-big-lie

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/21065539

cahaya 18904 desperate attention whore postings

01-18-13, 02:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
63. "RE: Transcripts of Night #1."
Another transcript from The Telegraph (UK).

01-19-13, 12:23 PM (EST)
64. "Still more transcript."
http://espn.go.com/sports/endurance/story/_/id/8858810/highlights-part-2-lance-armstrong-oprah-winfrey-interview

01-19-13, 03:55 PM (EST)
65. "Courtroom aspects."
http://espn.go.com/sports/endurance/story/_/id/8859684/lance-armstrong-chose-words-carefully-oprah-interview-avoid-legal-pitfalls

01-22-13, 02:02 PM (EST)
68. "RE: Courtroom aspects."
By taking on the USADA only with regard to the 2009-11 years, he's focused in on the weakest part of their charges against him -- the one claim for which they appear to have no proof.

Leipheimer apparently testified that USPS/Discovery's doping program died with the team and that Astana didn't do any doping, and, according to the former head of the UCI biological passport program, there isn't any evidence of Armstrong using blood doping during the Astana period.

That could have legal significance for Armstrong's case, but only if he told everything, including about the doping discussions at Motorola and Cofidis. I haven't seen any signs that Lance wants to crack the cyclists' code of omertà, though.

Starshine 4934 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

01-21-13, 05:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
66. "RE: Jonathan Vaughters and doping in cycling"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21115720

01-21-13, 05:19 PM (EST)
67. "RE: Jonathan Vaughters and doping in cycling"
Soon to be joined by the Livestrong Financial Report, as it's now being reported that they've visibly set aside a large cash pot -- believed by industry experts as designated for settling the lawsuits to come.

It's apparently legal, but the donors aren't going to be happy.

01-22-13, 06:07 PM (EST)
69. "Sheryl Crow Klink speaks."
She knew nothink, nothink!

01-23-13, 01:31 AM (EST)
70. "RE: Sheryl Crow Klink speaks."
Shouldn't that be Sgt. Sheryl Schultz?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ag4nkSh7Q

01-23-13, 09:21 AM (EST)
71. "RE: Sheryl Crow Klink speaks."
It's way out of my generation, I haven't had any decent sleep in a week, and the current wind chill is -10. I'm happy just to have been in the vicinity.

(And yes, it should have.)

01-23-13, 04:31 PM (EST)
72. "Lance action mural"

(Being credited to Banksy.)

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •