The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Manager Firing Season comes early"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Sports Forum (Protected)
Original message

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-22-12, 12:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Manager Firing Season comes early"
Betcha can't guess which team...

oh, it was that obvious, huh?

Marty Hurney was fired Monday as general manager of the Carolina Panthers, who are off to a 1-5 start and have not made the playoffs since 2008.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/panthers-gm-hurney-fired-teams-start-17534764#.UIV3vFGs0cs

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Of all the things that could happen... Estee 10-22-12 1
   RE: Of all the things that could ha... Round Robin 10-23-12 2
 Speaking of fired managers... Estee 10-23-12 3
   Good riddance AyaK 10-23-12 4
       Ditto, "Good riddance" to... PepeLePew13 10-24-12 5
           RE: Ditto, "Good riddance" to... AyaK 10-31-12 6
               HOLY CARP... PepeLePew13 11-13-12 11
                   RE: HOLY CARP... PepeLePew13 11-13-12 12
                       RE: HOLY CARP... Estee 11-13-12 13
                           RE: HOLY CARP... PepeLePew13 11-13-12 14
                               More funny stuff.... PepeLePew13 11-13-12 15
                                   RE: More funny stuff.... Estee 11-13-12 16
 RE: Manager Firing Season comes ear... samboohoo 11-04-12 7
   RE: Manager Firing Season comes ear... Snidget 11-04-12 8
 NBA Head Coach firing season has st... AyaK 11-10-12 9
   One bare watt. Estee 11-12-12 10

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Estee 55195 desperate attention whore postings

10-22-12, 01:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Of all the things that could happen, this is "

What? She really means it this time.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Round Robin 2243 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

10-23-12, 00:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Round%20Robin Click to send private message to Round%20Robin Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Of all the things that could happen, this is "
Rivera will be next. The new GM will can him and bring in his own guy as soon as the season ends if not sooner.

10-23-12, 06:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "Speaking of fired managers..."
...you can now kiss Ozzie Guillen goodbye.

(Unless you're male. The resulting anti-gay rant would last five days.)

AyaK 10083 desperate attention whore postings

10-23-12, 07:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "Good riddance"
I'm impressed that the Marlins would unload Guillen so quickly, despite his incredibly poor performance, considering that they still owed him millions in a deal that had 3 more years to run.

It shows the new ownership really is serious about winning, because they never would have won with Guillen in charge.

While I'm at it, I'd just like to point out that I think the Boston Red Sox made a great move to bring back John Farrell as manager. Last year, when everyone in Boston was praising Bobby Valentine and Larry Lucchino to the hilt, I said that Red Sox fans were going to be in for two awful years, and the only thing the Sox did to cut that short was fire Valentine after one.

The only thing that went wrong with the 2010 Red Sox was that the players got sick of new pitching coach Curt Young (Farrell's replacement), and in trying to show their disrespect for him before the playoffs (to make sure that he'd get canned), they went into a total pitching-fueled tailspin, highlighted by Daniel Bard turning into Rick Ankiel overnight.

Unfortunately, this coincided with Looney Larry Lucchino's desire to get Jonh Henry and Tom Werner to reinstate his authority over baseball operations, and the end result of that entire fiasco is that Tito and Theo both left.

Suddenly, a Sox team that just needed tweaking had the Mouth the Roared in charge, and the fiasco of 2012 was totally predictable (although not to Boston sportswriters, who apparently are woefully ill-equipped to handle anything except team-provided pablum).

None of that will be the case with John Farrell.

PepeLePew13 24731 desperate attention whore postings

10-24-12, 02:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "Ditto, "Good riddance" to..."
LAST EDITED ON 10-24-12 AT 03:28 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 10-24-12 AT 02:40 PM (EST)

...John Farrell.

By most accounts and from what I've seen in his two years here in Toronto, he's a pretty decent guy. But after what has unfolded over the past few weeks, it's remarkable how the stench has literally exploded over this whole saga.

For all his reputation, he now has the stench of being someone who may or may not have given his all as a major league manager; someone who mailed it in and being the guy with his hand on the butt while looking elsewhere. Perhaps that's an unfair characterization of Farrell who at least looked like someone who was far more engaged and in touch than someone like Ozzie Guillen. Right now, he has the perception that he didn't give 100% to his job as Blue Jays manager.

Where do I start? For one, he shouldn't have been allowed to continue managing the team this past season when it became clear that he would rather manage the Red Sux after Tito's firing. I don't care how professional Farrell is; when you have your mind looking elsewhere, you're not as fully engaged as you could/should be. It's come out that Farrell was clearly in touch with what was happening with the Red Sux throughout 2012 even with Bobby V. running the show there and Farrell had his own team to manage in Toronto. For one, a reporter commented that when he found out about the mega-trade between the Sux and Dodgers, he relayed the information to Farrell and within seconds, Farrell knew how much in salaries had changed hands - the reporter felt it was odd that a rival manager should be so in tune with an opposing team's salary structure ... unless he was keeping tabs on the side at the same time as keeping tabs on his own team. You want your manager to be focused on your own team instead of keeping an eye elsewhere.

Also, during his press conference to announce his hiring, Farrell said he already had identified issues and had conversations with Lester and Bard on fixing these issues. Why not devote your energy on identifying issues with your own pitchers such as Ricky Romero and Henderson Alvarez who both had regressions this past year, John?

Boston was a place where the clubhouse fell apart. It happened in Toronto as well under the guidance of John Farrell - he lost the clubhouse in the second half of this past season. People in Boston talk about how Farrell will bring the clubhouse back in order because he knows the Boston way. Prove it, John, because you weren't able to do that in Toronto.

It's been reported that Dustin Pedroia was still friendly with Farrell - they were often seen chatting it up before Sox-Jays games. But this piece is interesting; there's a number of sources who say that this 'unnamed player' is most likely Pedroia: "Sox player impressed with managerial candidates" *If* it's true that this is Pedroia, then it could be a bumpy welcome back for Farrell right off the bat.

I'll be interested in seeing how Farrell runs the team in Boston because if he ran the Sox the same way he did in Toronto, the media will be brutal on him - he did not handle the bullpen well (surprising considering he was a pitching coach), several key young players regressed under him, there were boneheaded base-running and bunting mistakes galore (it's the manager's responsibility to make sure players know when to go or not), and Farrell didn't hold players accountable for their mistakes.

Perhaps it's unfair to say this about Farrell, but reasonable to ask under the circumstances: Were there any moves or decisions he made as manager that wasn't given with 100% focus and perhaps even made with indifference in the hopes of making the management be more willing to let him go in the off-season once it became apparent around the end of August that there was no way Bobby V. would be returning to Boston in 2013?

He was a good guy, but frankly, I'm now thrilled he's not around any more. Good luck with him. And thanks for Mike Aviles, who, while he's not exactly a superstar, he's still a massive upgrade as an utility player over Mike McCoy (I'm holding out hope that a legit 2B/SS will be picked up in trade, as goes the latest scuttlebutt).

ETA: It's not to say that Farrell is a bad hire, but rather maybe we (on both sides) should wait and see before proclaiming him as the greatest thing since sliced bread. For all the good things he does, there are an equal number of warts and the air of not giving 100% wafting around him. He might turn out to be a really good hire, but don't be surprised if 2013 is also a write-off year while new players come in and the young players already in place learn the ropes.

It's fitting that Farrell is going back to New England, the place where Benedict Arnold made a name for himself.

In following up on your comments about Ozzie Guillen, well, yeah the Marlins are far better off without him, but the franchise will never find success for as long as the Three Stooges (Loria, Samson, Beinfest) are running the show in Miami. Yeah they won in 2003 but Dave Dombrowski gets most of the credit for putting the majority of the players in place before the Stooges were in a hurry to dump most of their salaries.

10-31-12, 10:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Ditto, "Good riddance" to..."
There was no question that Farrell's enthusiasm for the Toronto job disappeared once Tito was fired in Boston during Larry Lucchino's power play last year.

Frankly, Toronto should have let him negotiate with the Sox last year. I'm sure they would have gotten a far better player than Mike Aviles out of the deal.

I doubt that Farrell mailed it in on Toronto as much as the players concluded that he was a short-timer and stopped listening. It's surprisingly common in the majors; it's what happened to Curt Young (Farrell's replacement as Red Sox pitching coach) in 2011. Sportswriters fail to realize that most MLB players have had to struggle for years to make it, and the fact that they made it to the majors convinces them that they know their own games better than anyone else -- so they don't have to listen any longer.

11-13-12, 08:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "HOLY CARP..."
LAST EDITED ON 11-13-12 AT 09:03 PM (EST)

Yeah, Jays still looking for a manager, but maybe their path to getting a higher-quality manager just got a tad easier...

But...

Mega-massive-epic trade!

Jays get Jose Reyes, Josh Johnson, Mark Buerhle, Emilio Bonifacio, John Buck and $4 million cash. All they gave up, as of this reporting, was Adeiny Hechevarria, Yunel Escobar, Justin Nocolino, Jeff Mathis, Henderson Alvarez and Anthony DeSclafini.

Yow! I'd like to know what Anthopoulos did to the Three Stooges of the Marlins, like what kind of liquor and drugs he pried them with and had them locked up in a room until they agreed to this deal.

Amazingly, the Jays apparently were able to pull this deal off while trading only two of their six blue-chip prospects so they're still well-set for the future in terms of pitching to come.

ETA: And it appears the Jays might not be finished wheeling and dealing with the pickup of John Buck -- with super-prospect Travis d'Arnaud, J.P. Arencibia, Jeff Mathis and Bobby Wilson already on the books at catcher, don't be surprised if either Arencibia or d'Arnaud are traded for either a LF or an extra starter.

11-13-12, 08:51 PM (EST)
12. "RE: HOLY CARP..."
Dang, it'd have been nice to have Giancarlo Stanton thrown into the mix as we need a LF... but boy, he's not pleased in the least bit by this trade:

And that's a good point about the ability of the Marlins to survive in Miami in the long run. Nobody's gonna go to the games there now with that expensive new stadium.

11-13-12, 09:02 PM (EST)
13. "RE: HOLY CARP..."
Historically, the Marlins do not give up by halves: it's a blow-out-the-rafters fire sale or nothing. I doubt this move is going to be their last. They may wind up with fifteen or more players at or below a million per salary year.

It's going to get worse before it gets better -- again. Welcome to the Miami Reruns...

11-13-12, 09:04 PM (EST)
14. "RE: HOLY CARP..."
LAST EDITED ON 11-13-12 AT 09:05 PM (EST)

Jays just picked up $165.95 million in salary from the Marlins. At the moment, the Marlins have just $11 million in committed salary on their roster.

11-13-12, 09:19 PM (EST)
15. "More funny stuff...."
Let me guess, this was done by a slightly bitter Marlins fan:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Loria

(In case Wiki steps in to fix it before you guys have a chance to see it, here's a couple of screen shots...)

11-13-12, 09:28 PM (EST)
16. "RE: More funny stuff...."
Giancarlo did say he was pissed off...

That reminds me: how's the Dominican population in Toronto?

samboohoo 17076 desperate attention whore postings

11-04-12, 07:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Manager Firing Season comes early"
Is it defensive coordinator firing season yet?

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

11-04-12, 07:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Manager Firing Season comes early"
I tried Boo, I watched the game.

11-10-12, 02:48 PM (EST)
9. "NBA Head Coach firing season has started, too"
. . . as Kobe getas Mike Brown fired by the Lakers just five games into the season.

Is the Zen Master returning? If not, this is an utter fiasco. But if so . . . this could be brilliant.

11-12-12, 11:56 AM (EST)
10. "One bare watt."
Utter fiasco it is: the replacement is Mike D'Antoni. I'm sure those 200-196 games will be very exciting.

ESPN claims Phil Jackson was ready for the phone call and wound up being 'stunned' by the result. Personally, I think that since Kobe's got his rings, he's decided to just chase Wilt -- assuming he had any part in this selection. Still, a style that emphasizes offense, offense, and watching the other team score on offense should give him a chance at some scoring records and a second-round exit.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8622878/stunned-phil-jackson-was-prepared-return-los-angeles-lakers-source-says

The comedy here, as always: "You trusted who?"

Oh, and for extra comedy, there's the local sports talk hosts. Remember, we had D'Antoni for a while. Our professional chatters are thrilled about this hire. And that's always a good sign, right?

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •