The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Can R.A. Dickey win the N.L. Cy Young?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Sports Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 55195 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-27-12, 04:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Can R.A. Dickey win the N.L. Cy Young?"
I say no.

It's not because he's pitching for a sub-.500 team. It's not because his resume' is somewhat lacking to this point. It's probably not even because he's sort of a spiritual heir to Jim Bouton, authorship and all. It's because I think the voters are still locked into 'Oh, the knuckleball. What a cute novelty. Let's hope it never catches on'. And will be forever.

But hey -- great year, huh?

*sigh* I look forward to the ensuing snub.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Can R.A. Dickey win the N.L. Cy... PepeLePew13 09-27-12 1
 RE: Can R.A. Dickey win the N.L. Cy... Max Headroom 09-27-12 2
 Next award question. Estee 10-04-12 3
   RE: Next award question. Max Headroom 10-04-12 4
       RE: Next award question. Round Robin 10-04-12 5
   RE: Next award question. PepeLePew13 10-04-12 6
       RE: Next award question. Max Headroom 10-04-12 7
           RE: Next award question. PepeLePew13 10-04-12 9
       RE: Next award question. Molaholic 10-04-12 8
           RE: Next award question. AyaK 10-04-12 10

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

PepeLePew13 24731 desperate attention whore postings

09-27-12, 06:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Can R.A. Dickey win the N.L. Cy Young?"
Oh I think Dickey just locked up the Cy Young with his 20th win today. He's just been the most consistent pitcher in the N.L. this season, one where there have been no real standouts.

Johnny Cueto was perhaps the frontrunner for a while, but he's had a lousy September. Clayton Kershaw may have had better peripheral numbers but he's 12-9 with about the same ERA as Dickey - even with the sabermetrical crowd favouring Kershaw in some corners, the writers who use the 'eyeball test' will swing votes to Dickey's way since 20-6 easily trumps 12-9 on that front. Gio Gonzalez has had a nice year, but is meh with the peripherals. Dickey has had all of the nice numbers and is now tied for the lead in wins, is one point behind Kershaw for the ERA lead, leads with 222 Ks, has a nice K/BB ratio, leads in quality starts, leads in innings pitched per start, etc. etc. etc. Dickey's gonna win the Cy.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Max Headroom 10028 desperate attention whore postings

09-27-12, 09:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Can R.A. Dickey win the N.L. Cy Young?"
My money's on Gio Gonzalez, but I wouldn't count Dickey out.

Estee 55195 desperate attention whore postings

10-04-12, 05:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "Next award question."
Should the first Triple Crown winner in forty-five years automatically be the MVP?

Optionally: can Bobby Valentine get Least Valuable Manager?

10-04-12, 09:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Next award question."
I say yes. Looking beyond his hitting numbers, Cabrera moved to a more demanding defensive position without complaining and then carried an underachieving Tigers team to a division championship. That contribution to team success is the difference between him and Mike Trout, who's a shoo-in for Rookie of the Year so he won't go home with nothing.

Round Robin 2243 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

10-04-12, 09:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Round%20Robin Click to send private message to Round%20Robin Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Next award question."
This is an automatic no-brainer. Without Cabrera the Tigers would have fewer wins than the Pirates. Instead they won the AL Central. Gotta give it to Cabrera.

10-04-12, 12:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Next award question."
Yeah, right up until about 2 weeks ago, it was Mike Trout who was the clear cut MVP pick for me. Even now, while I am 90% sure that Miggy will win the MVP (deservedly so), there's that 10% of me that still thinks Trout was the more valuable player on the year. Trout lost it because he wasn't superhuman down the stretch while Miggy was incredible to pull out the Triple Crown.

Here's why I consider Trout as having the better all-around year than Miggy even with the Triple Crown:

The Angels were a .590 team with Trout in the lineup after he was called up with the team at 6-14. The Tigers were .543 with Miggy in the lineup for the full year.

Trout is the first player *ever* to hit .325 with 125 runs, 30 HR and 45 SB, missing by one SB to become the third ever to go 30-50 after Barry Bonds and Eric Davis. And he did it in his age-20 season, all the more remarkable.

Trout had the 20th highest WAR in baseball history - each of the 19 guys ahead of him are in the Hall of Fame or will be. His WAR was 10.7 while Miggy was at 6.9. Some people say that WAR is overrated as a stat, but the gist is that Trout is harder to replace than Cabrera.

Trout did it all - hit, hit for power, run, catch, etc. Miggy was more one-dimensional even if he held his own at third base. Verducci over at SI said that while Miggy had more total bases, Trout actually accounted for more bases with total bases, steals, caught stealing, double plays, advancing from first to third or first to home, etc all factoring in, despite playing 20 fewer games.

Many ways to twist the argument in favour of either guy to be sure, but it's easy to see why Trout had the better year all around than Miggy. Another writer over at SI pointed out that this isn't even Miggy's best year as he had two other seasons with better slash stats than this year.

10-04-12, 01:05 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Next award question."
Trout is the first player *ever* to hit .325 with 125 runs, 30 HR and 45 SB

I got curious and looked up Ty Cobb's stats in his age-20 season (1907): .350 average, 97 runs, 5 HR (dead ball era), 119 RBI, 53 SB. Not a bad comparison.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/cobbty01.shtml

Even so, my MVP vote still goes to Cabrera.

10-04-12, 02:16 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Next award question."
LAST EDITED ON 10-04-12 AT 04:48 PM (EST)

Indeed, it seems the only comparables to what Trout has done this year are guys that are already in the Hall of Fame or will be there momentarily (I count Bonds in this category, steroids and all).

The numbers I mentioned for Trout (first ever to .325, 125. 30, 45) are for *any* age, let alone a 20-year-old. It just might be the greatest rookie season of all time, regardless of age. It's hard to compare different eras but is, for example, Ted Williams' rookie numbers of .327, 31 HR and 145 RBI in an era where a number of other players had crazy numbers more impressive than what Trout did this year with his defense and speed added into the mix?

I'm not sure we'll see this kind of numbers from Trout again - the numbers are just so out-of-there for a leadoff hitter - so enjoy it while we can, just like we've got to savor Miggy's Triple Crown as we may never see one again in our lifetimes.

ETA: Before his swoon started, Trout was, as of mid-August, on a pace to hit .350+ with 140+ runs, 30+ HR, 100+ RBI, 60+ SB. Imagine if he had been able to maintain that pace for another month - I don't think even a Triple Crown would have taken the MVP from Trout.

Molaholic 8451 desperate attention whore postings

10-04-12, 01:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Next award question."
This brings up the question -- what may become a battle between the traditional statistic enthusiast and the modern sabermatrician. I see the SABR camp as the ultimate winners, with potentially new "awards" coming forth (or perhaps a redefined Triple Crown, etc).

This being said, I would still cast my vote for Cabrera, but I cannot wholly disagree with those supporting Trout.

Estee may be pleased to learn that I would also give the Cy Young to that fellow from the Mets...

AyaK 10083 desperate attention whore postings

10-04-12, 03:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Next award question."
Like Pepe, I side with Trout. I haven't seen a rookie with his talent come into the league and revitalize a team the way that he did since Fred Lynn.

Cabrera's defensive weaknesses make it hard for me to give him an MVP award unless he's the sole rason the team won. And he's not the sole reason that a team with 2011 MVP Justin Verlander and 2011 3rd place NL MVP finisher Prince Fielder won.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •