The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Mens Tennis and the Big Three"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Sports Forum (Protected)
Original message

kidflash212 3854 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

09-05-12, 10:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Mens Tennis and the Big Three"
In the past 29 Grand Slam tournaments, 28 have been won by the same three men - Djokovic, Federer and Nadal. Juan Martin Del Potro grabbed a US Open in 2009 but other than that aberration in the past seven years three guys have won every Grand Slam.

Does this sort of dominance make the sport less interesting? Does it make it boring? Do sports need upsets and cinderella runs to create excitement?

Or is it a privilege to watch such masters of their craft set the bar higher for up and coming athletes?

Capn2patch put me in motion!

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Mens Tennis and the Big Three PepeLePew13 09-05-12 1
   RE: Mens Tennis and the Big Three kidflash212 09-05-12 2
       RE: Mens Tennis and the Big Three PepeLePew13 09-10-12 6
           RE: Mens Tennis and the Big Three byoffer 09-10-12 7
           RE: Mens Tennis and the Big Three Starshine 09-11-12 8
               RE: Mens Tennis and the Big Three byoffer 09-11-12 9
                   RE: Mens Tennis and the Big Three aethelstan 09-11-12 10
                       RE: Mens Tennis and the Big Three kidflash212 09-11-12 11
                           RE: Mens Tennis and the Big Three Starshine 09-11-12 12
                           RE: Mens Tennis and the Big Three byoffer 09-11-12 13
                           RE: Mens Tennis and the Big Three PepeLePew13 09-11-12 14
                           RE: Mens Tennis and the Big Three aethelstan 09-11-12 15
 RE: Mens Tennis and the Big Three byoffer 09-05-12 3
   RE: Mens Tennis and the Big Three AyaK 09-06-12 4
 RE: Mens Tennis and the Big Three trigirl 09-09-12 5

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

PepeLePew13 24731 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-05-12, 05:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Mens Tennis and the Big Three"
It's got pros and cons ... for me, it's been a pleasure to watch three of the greatest players to continually go head to head because they're just so good. Yeah, it'd be nice to get some real competition from the other guys other than the big 4 (including Murray), but they're just not exciting to watch as a group.

Look at the women's tennis - there have been numerous champions and few completely dominating players (other than Serena when her heart is into it), but it's not particularly exciting tennis.

As well, when Tiger was completely crushing the competition in golf, interest in golf was never higher. When he was out tomcatting around or injured, viewership in golf declined and didn't really jump back until we got another great, legend-in-the-making type in Rory McIlroy and the almost-complete return to the exacting standards of Tiger.

So in a nutshell, I'd rather watch a few elite professionals at the very top of their games than to watch parity with middling players.

I think in team sports, it's much more exciting to see upsets and Cinderellas - you can really get into the spirit when a bunch of guys are all jumping on each other, but not quite the same thing to see a single tennis player living it up after an upset. Does anyone even recall who it was that upset Nadal for his only loss ever on French Open soil? I would bet that the average person wouldn't remember it was Robin Soderling unless prompted to remember, but in contrast, many people remember Butler's stunning run to the F4, for example.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

09-05-12, 07:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Mens Tennis and the Big Three"
Until Murray breaks through and takes a Grand Slam, I can't consider it the big 4.

Although I disagree about upsets in tennis being less memorable. Pete Sampras' first US Open win was an upset, so was Boris Becker's first slam at Wimbledon (he came in unseeded. Michael Chang's French Open and Jimmy Connors run at the US Open late in his career when everyone had written him off as too old.

09-10-12, 09:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Mens Tennis and the Big Three"
As far as I'm concerned, it's now the Big Four... Murray just won the U.S. Open and also won the gold medal in the Olympics and was runner up at Wimbledon, all in the past two months. I'd say he now belongs up there.

Epic first set (22 games), going the distance to five sets. Congrats, Andy, on finally getting that elusive major. Certainly was a good move to take on Ivan Lendl as a coach.

byoffer 15808 desperate attention whore postings

09-10-12, 10:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Mens Tennis and the Big Three"
Big Four could be right. 4 slams this year, and 4 different winners. I am glad for Andy that he had to beat one of the Big Three to win this championship, as in my opinion it makes it more valid.

2013 should be a great year for men's tennis!!

Starshine 4934 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

09-11-12, 02:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Mens Tennis and the Big Three"
First British Major winner since 1977

First British male Major winner since 1936

Yes 1936, no colour TV, heck the first scheduled TV broadcasts didn't happen until four months after, the world land speed record was under 300mph, Ned Beatty, Waylon Jennings & Colin Powell hadn't been born, Amelia Earhart, John D. Rockefeller & Baron Pierre de Coubertin were all still alive.

Nineteen unbelievably thirty long ago six

09-11-12, 10:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Mens Tennis and the Big Three"
Congrats, Starshine. I suspect it won't be long before you Brits get another.

And while that is a long time, at least there have been British winners (and many). Canada is sadly not on the list of
males winners nor female winners. Thanks to Daniel Nestor we have had some doubles success (mens and mixed).

Maybe the future is bright for Canada, as this year we got our first junior singles major winners in Filip Peliwo (male) and Eugenie Bouchard (female).

aethelstan 4348 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

09-11-12, 02:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail aethelstan Click to send private message to aethelstan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Mens Tennis and the Big Three"
You know, some may argue that the streak/drought is still alive as Murray is Scottish. After all, the each submit their own football and rugby team....

Has Canada even had a quarterfinalist in a singles Grand Slam event?

Daniel Nestor, right now, is the best tennis player Canada has ever produced. He has a career Golden Slam in doubles (8 Slam wins) as well as 4 World Tour Final wins. He also has 2 mixed double Slam wins. He has 79 doubles titles, has been ranked #1 for like 100 weeks and has the all-time match wins record. And this is with 4 different partners all but one of whom didn't win a Slam before or after teaming up with Nestor. Oh, and he's like 40.
There was a nice article about him about a month ago in the Globe and Mail.

I have high hopes for Peliwo and Bouchard, too. Peliwo made the finals in each of the Junior Grand Slam events this year, equally what Edberg did back in 1983. Bouchard won both the singles and doubles at Wimbledon which shows versatility.

But right now the question is whether Milos Raonic can continue to improve. He's already had a couple of long 3-set matches with Federer and lost in the US Open to the eventual champion. Not bad at all. His seeding should help him now that he won't have to face the Federers of the world in the second round of tournaments (Madrid + Indian Wells).

09-11-12, 02:37 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Mens Tennis and the Big Three"
Isn't Milos Raonic Canadian and Greg Rusedski? Think both have made quarterfinals or better. I think Rusedski made a final.

Starshine 4934 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

09-11-12, 03:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Mens Tennis and the Big Three"
You could argue that Greg Rusedski was Canadian, however he had an English mother so we subverted him and he competed for the UK.

We did the same for Lennox Lewis who won the Olympics as a Canadian but won the world title as a Brit.

09-11-12, 04:50 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Mens Tennis and the Big Three"
Raonic is indeed a Canadian, as Stan notes above in saying that Miols is our real shining tennis star these days.

Starshine - Rusedski just got tired of all the mandated poutine...

09-11-12, 05:04 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Mens Tennis and the Big Three"
Rusedski did win an ATP event while still representing Canada before he jumped ship to represent Britain. As a Brit, he reached the finals of the U.S. Open once upon a time, but don't think he did much of anything in a Slam while still representing Canada.

The furthest Raonic has gone in a major is the fourth round, twice. But, yes, with his improved ranking, hopefully he'll be able to go further in tournaments and build his confidence before meeting up with the likes of the Big Four. The kid's got a serious bazooka in his serve, but is still rather inconsistent with his return and net play.

Regarding Murray, there's a saying... "If he plays well, he's British. If he flops, he's Scottish."

aethelstan 4348 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

09-11-12, 05:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail aethelstan Click to send private message to aethelstan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Mens Tennis and the Big Three"
Raonic's best result in Slams is the 4th round in the US Open this year and the Australian Open last year.

Rusedski did reach the finals at the US Open in 2007 and reach the quarterfinal at Wimbledon in the same year. However, he had taken British citizenship in 2005.

Hey, just read that Raonic started a foundation to help kids who need prosthetic limbs to play sports.

Ah. found one.
Helen Kelesi reached the QF of the French Open in 1988 and 1989.

Oh, and better still
Carling Bassett-Seguso reached the quarters in the Australian Open (1983), the French Open (1984, 1986) and the semifinals at the US Open in 1984.

Patricia Hy-Boulais reached the quarter in the US Open in 1992.

Jill Hetherington has three doubles/mixed doubles runner-ups.

That's all I could find.

09-05-12, 11:29 PM (EST)
3. "RE: Mens Tennis and the Big Three"
So what you're saying is that you would like someone to come along and upset one of the big three at a major? Like, say, Tomas Berdych beating Federer?? Could that happen?

AyaK 10083 desperate attention whore postings

09-06-12, 00:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Mens Tennis and the Big Three"
Add Nadal's injury to that and you've got "Djokovic or bust" for this theory.

trigirl 2844 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

09-09-12, 02:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail trigirl Click to send private message to trigirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Mens Tennis and the Big Three"
I love tennis and the big 3, but do find myself cheering for the underdog.

This US Open has been a big freaking joke. "Oh, let's call a rain delay and let the player get a phone call from their Dad to make adjustments or rest a day". Sorry for my rant, but we went a couple of years ago and I think Ashe is the most ridiculous sporting venue I have ever been to. You can be closer to the airplanes from LaGuardia than the court and they wonder why a roof would be too heavy to build?!?! I will sit in the Grandstand anyday watching the 30th players.

Back to the real point. Although I enjoy cheering for the underdog men, the big 3 (arguably 4) do make for some exciting tennis. I love it!

Women's tennis has some great players too, but in all honesty who watches Sharapova and Azarenka without their "mute" button on? Makes me miss Monica Seles (who probably seems quiet in comparison).

Go Andy!

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •