The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come and sign up!"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Sports Forum (Protected)
Original message

PepeLePew13 24731 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-10-12, 09:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come and sign up!"
LAST EDITED ON 02-10-12 AT 09:33 PM (EST)

Here we go again, folks... yet another season of OT Fantasy Baseball is upon us! Plenty of intrigue this season with the debut of Yu, several mega-stars switching cities (and leagues), and so on, how will they do this season in terms of fantasy value?

The 411:

League ID# 23354
Password offtopic

6 hitting categories and 6 pitching categories - I put in one extra in each this year to see if there's any interest in using them. If you don't want them, please say so here or in the league's message board. R/HR/RBI/SB/AVG/OPS, W/SV/K/Holds/ERA/WHIP, the two new categories are OPS and Holds. Max innings pitched 1500.

Live Draft: Monday, March 26th at 9:00 pm ET

Any other categories or rules you might want to see this year or taken out? Keep it as a roto league or change to a head-to-head format? Try a live auction instead of a straight up draft? Etc. Let your voice be heard...

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come an... Max Headroom 02-10-12 1
   RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come an... PepeLePew13 02-10-12 2
       RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come an... AyaK 02-12-12 3
           RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come an... PepeLePew13 02-12-12 4
               RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come an... AyaK 02-13-12 7
                   RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come an... PepeLePew13 02-13-12 10
           RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come an... Max Headroom 02-12-12 5
               RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come an... PepeLePew13 02-12-12 6
               RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come an... AyaK 02-13-12 8
                   RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come an... Max Headroom 02-13-12 9
                       RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come an... AyaK 02-13-12 11
                           RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come an... PepeLePew13 02-13-12 14
                               RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come an... michel 02-14-12 16
                                   RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come an... Molaholic 02-18-12 20
 Different subject. Max Headroom 02-13-12 12
   RE: Different subject. PepeLePew13 02-13-12 13
       RE: Different subject. michel 02-14-12 15
           RE: Different subject. AyaK 02-15-12 17
               RE: Different subject. michel 02-15-12 18
                   RE: Different subject. PepeLePew13 02-15-12 19
 One writer's opinion on quality sta... Max Headroom 02-18-12 21
 Bump. Max Headroom 02-23-12 22
 RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come an... bondt007 02-28-12 23
   RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come an... Max Headroom 02-28-12 24
 Bump. Max Headroom 03-07-12 25
 RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come an... Molaholic 03-13-12 26
   RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come an... Max Headroom 03-13-12 27
       RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come an... PepeLePew13 03-14-12 28
           RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come an... bondt007 03-14-12 29
               RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come an... PepeLePew13 03-19-12 30
 VOTE here please... PepeLePew13 03-19-12 31
   RE: VOTE here please... Max Headroom 03-19-12 32
   RE: VOTE here please... Starshine 03-19-12 33
   RE: VOTE here please... Molaholic 03-20-12 34
   RE: VOTE here please... michel 03-24-12 35
   FINAL Last call! PepeLePew13 03-26-12 36
       RE: FINAL Last call! michel 03-26-12 37

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Max Headroom 10028 desperate attention whore postings

02-10-12, 10:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come and sign up!"
LAST EDITED ON 02-10-12 AT 10:23 PM (EST)

I'm in.

My one suggestion is to swap out holds for quality starts. I'm not a fan of drafting middle relievers who only contribute to the holds category and have minimal value other than a handful of junk wins and strikeouts. It's bad enough having to do that with closers for the saves category-- I'd rather not do it a second time with the holds category.

Proud supporter of futility since 1993.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

02-10-12, 10:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come and sign up!"
Sounds fine to me - anyone else?

I initially put in holds because I thought maybe it could provide a wider variety of pitchers to choose from and they could help in ERA/WHIP in addition to holds, plus steal the occasional save here and there.

AyaK 10083 desperate attention whore postings

02-12-12, 00:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come and sign up!"
The main league I play in is a 6X6 head-to-head league that uses fielding percentage instead of average (you'd be amazed how much difference that makes -- especially because it means you don't want SSs or 3Bs as your DHs). We've used holds as a pitching stat in some years, which can help if you get someone like Daniel Bard (as I did last year) but can often be won with 1 hold per week.

So, like Max, I'm not a big fan of holds as a fantasy stat. But it does offer the option of conceding saves and going for holds.

I've never used quality starts, though. Max, how does it change drafting, if at all?

02-12-12, 11:57 AM (EST)
4. "RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come and sign up!"
Interesting ... Miggy Cabrera might go from a top 3 pick to a second rounder if fielding percentage is factored in! Could you explain more on the strategy why you might not want a 3B or SS used at DH?

02-13-12, 12:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come and sign up!"
The way Yahoo! calculates the daily totals, every field player who had chances (i.e., everyone but pitchers) figures in to calculating each of the stat categories, no matter what position they play on your fantasy roster. Generally, 3B and SS players have the worst fielding percentages. So, if you have an actual 3B and SS in those positions (not a RF who is also eligible at 3B like Jose Bautista), and then you have one more at DH, you have three players lowering your team fielding percentage.

Cabrera is a butcher at third, with a career fielding percentage around .950 (which doesn't reflect how bad he really is). He's similar to Chipper Jones, who was around .950 at 3B in his prime, with a low of .930 in 2009. I'm sorry to say that I had Chipper that year.

02-13-12, 03:48 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come and sign up!"
Ah, gotcha... I was looking at it from a different perspective. So, they calculate your fielding stats even if you put the player at DH for the day.

I don't have a problem with adding another category for fielding percentage if the interest is there from others in the league. Maybe we'll give it a couple of weeks for peeps to sign up then debate the various issues, then I will post a list of categories up for debate and have a vote which way we go this season.

02-12-12, 12:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come and sign up!"
Quality starts provide a reward for pitchers who go deep into games, whether they win or not. The stat category increases the value of good starters on teams with poor offenses. Under normal roto rules, a starter who pitches 6+ innings and gives up no more than 3 runs but doesn't get a win only provides ERA, WHIP, and K's, and the addition of quality starts provides a reward for that effort. As for drafting, starters who pitch well but receive weak run support move up the list, but there isn't a huge impact overall.

Like AyaK says, holds are a no-brainer category. A strong 8th inning guy like Bard could make a difference in the category, but there are tons of middle relievers who pitch in the 7th and 8th innings with a lead. I haven't been in a league with holds as a stat category, but at first glance it seems like one could compete in the category using only waiver-wire middle relievers.

02-12-12, 02:48 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come and sign up!"
So, someone like Doc Halladay could become a first-rounder with quality starts factored in (instead of a second-rounder), and a guy like Matt Cain jumps up a couple of rounds.

02-13-12, 12:14 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come and sign up!"
> I haven't been in a league with holds as
>a stat category, but at first glance it seems like
>one could compete in the category using only waiver-wire middle relievers.

Yes, that's correct.

02-13-12, 12:33 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come and sign up!"
LAST EDITED ON 02-13-12 AT 12:35 PM (EST)

That reinforces my point that holds are not a meaningful stat category for rotisserie leagues. Let's find something other than holds. (my vote is for quality starts, but there are other possibilities)

02-13-12, 04:30 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come and sign up!"
I'm certainly willing to try quality starts, if Yahoo! tracks that category.

02-13-12, 05:10 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come and sign up!"
There, indeed, is a category for Quality Starts.

I have pulled up the complete list of available categories and am posting it here for y'all to take a gander at. Some of the cats are just ridiculous and shows you how certain people are so obsessed over baseball stats.

Stat Categories

Batters

Games Played
Games Started
At Bats
Runs
Hits
Singles
Doubles
Triples
Home Runs
Runs Batted In
Sacrifice Hits
Sacrifice Flys
Stolen Bases
Caught Stealing
Walks
Intentional Walks
Hit By Pitch
Strikeouts
Ground Into Double Play
Total Bases
Putouts
Assists
Errors
Fielding Percentage
Batting Average
On-base Percentage
Slugging Percentage
On-base + Slugging Percentage
Extra Base Hits
Net Stolen Bases
Stolen Base Percentage
Hitting for the Cycle
Plate Appearances
Grand Slam Home Runs
Outfield Assists
Double Plays Turned
Catcher Interference

Pitchers

Pitching Appearances
Games Started
Innings Pitched
Wins
Losses
Complete Games
Shutouts
Saves
Outs
Hits
Total Batters Faced
Runs
Earned Runs
Home Runs
Walks
Intentional Walks
Hit Batters
Strikeouts
Wild Pitches
Balks
Stolen Bases Allowed
Batters Grounded Into Double Plays
Save Chances
Holds
Total Bases Allowed
Earned Run Average
(Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched
Strikeouts per Walk Ratio
Strikeouts per Nine Innings
Pitch Count
Singles Allowed
Doubles Allowed
Triples Allowed
Relief Wins
Relief Losses
Pickoffs
Relief Appearances
On-base Percentage Against
Winning Percentage
Hits Per Nine Innings
Walks Per Nine Innings
No Hitters
Perfect Games
Save Percentage
Inherited Runners Scored
Quality Starts
Blown Saves
Net Saves

michel 10812 desperate attention whore postings

02-14-12, 11:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come and sign up!"
I think we had enough stats already so I wouldn't add any.

Molaholic 8451 desperate attention whore postings

02-18-12, 05:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come and sign up!"
You can add my vote for including quality start over hold. As far as the roto vs head-to-head format, I stank at both, so put me down as a definite "whatever".

02-13-12, 04:59 PM (EST)
12. "Different subject."
How many teams were in this league last year? I remember the thread debating rotisserie vs. head-to-head, but I don't remember the final decision.

Surely there were more than 3 teams? Other peeps need to get around to signing up.

02-13-12, 05:09 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Different subject."
If I recall correctly, there were 10 teams in the league. I threw the question out there and there was no discussion whether to go with roto or H2H, so I left it at roto.

02-14-12, 11:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Different subject."
We had 9 teams.

02-15-12, 05:42 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Different subject."
...which was why we couldn't go head-to-head: someone would have a bye every week.

Let's see how this year comes out.

02-15-12, 08:46 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Different subject."
Would the system allow to track both H-to-H and roto? H-to-H seems more random to me because you could have the second highest score and lose the week.

02-15-12, 11:18 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Different subject."
That's certainly true - just as it is in MLB or the NFL, NHL, etc. as there are always games where both teams score a gazillion but there can only be one winner, likewise somebody's gotta lose a 1-0 squeaker. It all evens out in the end.

02-18-12, 06:33 PM (EST)
21. "One writer's opinion on quality starts."
Here's a USA Today article on using quality starts as a fantasy category.

02-23-12, 08:08 PM (EST)
22. "Bump."
Six people aren't enough for a strong, competitive league.

bondt007 3358 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

02-28-12, 06:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bondt007 Click to send private message to bondt007 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come and sign up!"
I think I missed winning by a point or three - I don't know if I can stomach that again.

02-28-12, 10:30 PM (EST)
24. "RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come and sign up!"
I lost a fantasy baseball league on the second-to-last day of the season several years ago, so I've been there. I'd still rather come in second than have a season like I did last year in one league, when my top five picks all got hurt and my team was totally noncompetitive through no fault of mine.

Give it another try!

03-07-12, 11:24 PM (EST)
25. "Bump."
Might be time for Pepe to send reminders to last year's managers who haven't yet signed up for 2012.

03-13-12, 00:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come and sign up!"
So -- what's the word? Are we on or not? (I see 8 teams signed up)

03-13-12, 09:14 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come and sign up!"
I think eight teams are enough for a good league, but the final decision rests with Commissioner Pepe.

03-14-12, 12:54 PM (EST)
28. "RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come and sign up!"
I'm ok with 8, would feel better with 10.

Come on, folks! Join our league!

Stay tuned - will have a list of questions/cats for us to vote on in the next few days to make sure we're all on the same page with the number and type of categories we'll use this year so we have time to prepare before the draft.

bondt007 3358 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

03-14-12, 03:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bondt007 Click to send private message to bondt007 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come and sign up!"
I'll join IF someone else wants to and you want to go HtoH. Otherwise I think I'll take a little break this summer...!

03-19-12, 03:19 PM (EST)
30. "RE: Fantasy Baseball 2012 - come and sign up!"
Think you could find someone and do a little arm-twisting to get them to join in?

Last call to everyone! Let's see if we can't get a couple more into this league!

03-19-12, 03:25 PM (EST)
31. "VOTE here please..."
Last chance to vote on categories, we've had a good discussion above so please take a moment to refer to the above for a refresher. Here's your chance to vote on the cats we'll use this season:

Vote:

Type of Match-up

If we have an even number of teams, do you want:
(a) Head-to-Head (weekly match-ups against each other)
(b) Rotisserie (totals accumulated in each category for the full year, points given based on rankings)

Categories

If you want to go back to last year’s categories, vote “Go back to last year’s categories”
5x5 … Batters = R/HR/RBI/SB/AVG, Pitchers = W/SV/K/ERA/WHIP

OR

If you want changes, vote your preference for both Batters and Pitchers:

Batters – choose one option:
Option A – AVG and OBP
Option B – AVG and Fielding %
Option C – OBP and Fielding %

Pitchers – choose one option:
Option A – Holds
Option B – Quality Starts

03-19-12, 04:55 PM (EST)
32. "RE: VOTE here please..."
Scoring:
We only have eight teams, plus I'm in two other H2H leagues, so I vote for rotisserie scoring. If we end up with 10 or more teams and an even number of teams, I could be persuaded to change my answer.

Categories:
I prefer to keep it simple (i.e., 5x5), so I vote for go back to last year's categories.

Starshine 4934 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

03-19-12, 06:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: VOTE here please..."
Type of Match-up

Head-to-Head

Categories

I leave this to my more knowledgeable competitors

Lovely cheese Mooney

Just another Sleeperbloke

03-20-12, 00:19 AM (EST)
34. "RE: VOTE here please..."
Match-up -- H2H
Categories -- Batters Option C, Pitchers Option B

Let's Play Ball!

03-24-12, 05:07 PM (EST)
35. "RE: VOTE here please..."
1- Rotisserie
2- Same as last year.

03-26-12, 06:45 AM (EST)
36. "FINAL Last call!"
9 teams, so it's a roto format unless bondt or somebody else joins.

I've gone back to last year's cats, but can't recall if we used batting average or OBP?

03-26-12, 07:52 AM (EST)
37. "RE: FINAL Last call!"
batting average

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •