The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Super Bowl Forty-Six pregame trash talking thread."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Sports Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 55195 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-23-12, 10:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Super Bowl Forty-Six pregame trash talking thread."
LAST EDITED ON 01-24-12 AT 02:22 PM (EST)

System ate most of my post.

I can't restore from Google and I can't find a copy in my browser history, so I'm just going to delete the remainder and call it an omen.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Early predictions. Max Headroom 01-23-12 1
   RE: Early predictions. samboohoo 01-23-12 2
       RE: Early predictions. Estee 01-23-12 4
 Opening lines cahaya 01-23-12 3
   RE: Opening lines cahaya 01-30-12 14
 Let's scare Snidget. Estee 01-23-12 5
   RE: Let's scare Snidget. Snidget 01-23-12 6
       RE: Let's scare Snidget. cahaya 01-30-12 12
           RE: Let's scare Snidget. Snidget 01-30-12 16
 The Pats' worry AyaK 01-24-12 7
   RE: The Pats' worry Max Headroom 01-24-12 9
       RE: The Pats' worry cahaya 01-24-12 10
 RE: Super Bowl Forty-Six pregame tr... Colonel Zoidberg 01-24-12 8
 Vegas PROPoses you file for bankrup... Estee 01-30-12 11
   RE: Vegas PROPoses you file for ban... cahaya 01-30-12 13
 Hoodie trash-talks his own team. Estee 01-30-12 15
 Go Pats! Jims02 01-30-12 17
 Jello Shot Instructions Snidget 01-31-12 18
 RE: Super Bowl Forty-Six pregame tr... AyaK 01-31-12 19
   RE: Super Bowl Forty-Six pregame tr... Estee 01-31-12 20
   RE: Super Bowl Forty-Six pregame tr... PepeLePew13 01-31-12 21
       RE: Super Bowl Forty-Six pregame tr... AyaK 02-01-12 22
 Media Day. Estee 02-01-12 23
   RE: Media Day. Max Headroom 02-01-12 24
 "They use you up." Estee 02-02-12 25
   RE: "They use you up." AyaK 02-02-12 26
       RE: "They use you up." Estee 02-03-12 27
 This should offend absolutely every... Estee 02-03-12 28
   RE: This should offend absolutely e... AyaK 02-04-12 29
 The NFL awards show on NBC. Estee 02-04-12 30
   RE: The NFL awards show on NBC. Snidget 02-04-12 31

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Max Headroom 10028 desperate attention whore postings

01-23-12, 10:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Early predictions."
1. Tom Brady will complete more than one pass to his wide receivers.

2. New England will not have 28 rushing plays, including 6 quarterback scrambles.

3. It will not be raining on the field during the Super Bowl, nor will the wind be blowing on the field.

4. Bill Belichick will be wearing a gray hoodie during the game.

5. Tom Coughlin will have at least one sideline apoplectic fit after a silly mistake by a Giants player.

6. The weather will be crappy in Indianapolis during Super Bowl week.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

samboohoo 17076 desperate attention whore postings

01-23-12, 11:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Early predictions."
7. The Giants will start the game with 15-yard "roughing the passer" foul just for planning to sack Brady.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

01-23-12, 01:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Early predictions."
8. The Giants will be called for twenty-two penalties. Sixteen of these will be defensive pass interference. The other six will actually happen.

cahaya 18904 desperate attention whore postings

01-23-12, 01:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "Opening lines"
LAST EDITED ON 01-24-12 AT 02:22 AM (EST)

55½u-110
Patriots -3 -120

That's lot of vigorish to open with.

Most places have lowered the ante and are offering -3 -110 (the usual 11/10 vig) and there's even a -3.5 +100 (even money) line available as I post this. I'd expect some line and vig movement between 3 and 3.5 in the coming week.

Right now, I'd take the Pats and give 3, although the even money line at 3.5 looks tempting.

And FTR, I don't bet for money, never have, but I like the intellectual exercise that comes from playing the lines.

(eta) Line/vig changes as of Monday night:

02/05 6:30 PM
101 N.Y. Giants
102 New England

-3 -120
-3 +100
-3 +100
-3 -105
-3 +100
-3 -105
-3 +100
-3 +100
-3 +105

It's pretty rare to see those 100's (even money, without the bookie taking the usual 11/10), so they're pushing the -3 line pretty hard. If this keeps up, we'll see a drop to -2.5, which is a quantum leap of a half point given that the magic 3 is a straight up FG.

01-30-12, 05:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Opening lines"
The lines are still running at -3, with quite a few +100/EVEN opportunities, none above 105.

The earlier 3.5 line is gone and there's now a -2.5 -125 line from MGM, which looks like a sucker's bet at that vig.

01-23-12, 03:24 PM (EST)
5. "Let's scare Snidget."
Since Eli isn't available, the NFC just added Cam Newton to the Pro Bowl roster.

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

01-23-12, 06:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Let's scare Snidget."
To jinx, or not to jinx, that is the question...

01-30-12, 05:02 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Let's scare Snidget."
Well, the answer is that he jinxed the NFC team!

01-30-12, 06:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Let's scare Snidget."
Game was tied when I got home, so Cam was doing OK until I showed up.

AyaK 10083 desperate attention whore postings

01-24-12, 03:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "The Pats' worry"
All season long, the Patriots' defense has made scrub quarterbacks look like potential Hall of Famers. That didn't change against Joe Flacco . . . and it's a real measure of how bad Tim Tebow really is that he DIDN'T have a superb game against the Pats either time.

Let's look at other QBs at the end of the season:

a) Vince Young (Phila) 26-48, 400 yds, 1 TD, 1 int.
b) Dan Orlovsky (Indy) 30-37, 353 yds, 2 TDs, 1 int
c) Rex Grossman & Brandon Banks (Wash) 20-33, 301 yds, 3 TDs, 1 int
d) Matt Moore (Mia) 17-33, 294 yds, 3 TDs, 1 int
e) Ryan Fitzpatrick (Buff) 29-46, 307 yds, 2 TDs, 4 int. (this is the game that the Pats played Devin McCourty at S, which worked)
f) Joe Flacco (Balt) 22-36, 306 yds, 2 TDs, 1 int

Now, after making these bums look like Murderer's Row, the Patriots have to play a REAL A-list QB in Eli Manning. He could throw for 500.

01-24-12, 09:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: The Pats' worry"
The secret to beating the Patriots isn't stopping their offense, because that won't happen for an entire game. The Giants will have to outscore the Patriots to beat them, but that could happen given the Pats' sorry defense. Eli could throw for 500.

01-24-12, 09:47 AM (EST)
10. "RE: The Pats' worry"
From a FF perspective, Manning, Cruz, Nicks and even Manningham would rate as must starts. Bradshaw and Jacobs would be iffy at best, but so would any of the Pats RB's.

It would not surprise me in the least to see Manning toss for 400, but 500 might be stretching it unless the Giants fall behind by 10 or more early in the game.

Keep in mind the Ravens got stuck after almost every Pats scoring drive (whether a Pats TD or FG) starting on their own 20, whereas the Pats often started near their own 40 after Ravens punts. That's 20 yards difference per drive times X number of drives. To keep up after each Pats score, the Giants will have to march at least 50 for the FG and 80 for the TD, again and again. So yeah, Manning will need major yardage for the Giants to win this one.

Colonel Zoidberg 3645 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

01-24-12, 08:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to send private message to Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Super Bowl Forty-Six pregame trash talking thread."
Let's see...

The Pats squeaked by the Ravens and managed to be a whole grand total of nobody else with a winning record. The Broncos are the closest thing to said winning record.

Also, the Pats have something that resembles a defense.

The Giants went 9-7 and made the Super Bowl because they figured out how to play right around Christmas.

Also, the Giants won the first game, which means pretty much nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Translation: Both of these teams are going to lose.

01-30-12, 03:49 PM (EST)
11. "Vegas PROPoses you file for bankruptcy."
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7518492/super-bowl-prop-bets-grand-finale-nfl-season

And yet the No Overtime bet still looks tempting.

01-30-12, 05:12 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Vegas PROPoses you file for bankruptcy."
Yeah, that no OT bet looks more than tempting. The very low 2.8 bookie vigorish and past NFL history clearly favors the no OT side of that bet. The bookies won't care if you do the smart play (no OT) and cash in, because they've got equal action on the other half with the dumb plays. I'd bet early on this one before it moves.

Three of the other bets have to do with how close it'll be (the largest lead over/under, any tie besides 0-0 and last score). None of these look nearly as tempting, although I see some potential hedging (counter-betting) opportunities within the trio (betting on all three) that would require a bit more analysis.

01-30-12, 05:34 PM (EST)
15. "Hoodie trash-talks his own team."
LAST EDITED ON 01-30-12 AT 07:58 PM (EST)

No Patriot has ever done anything right. Ever. Well, maybe in the history of the franchise, but since he became head coach? A team of no-talent losers who are lucky just to get per diem food money and anything else is daylight robbery. And if they win this next game? They still haven't done anything right. And never will.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/7518409/bill-belichick-everybody-critic-film-sessions

Motivational sessions? No, he's just that much of a jerk. How can you be motivated to do better when better through perfect still aren't good enough?

ETA: I find it morbidly interesting that his idea of strong coaching is the exact description for the mental side of an abusive relationship.

Jims02 7328 desperate attention whore postings

01-30-12, 07:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Jims02 Click to send private message to Jims02 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "Go Pats!"
Because I hate myself, I picked the Patriots to win the Super Bowl in my company's money pool. So I need the Patriots to win and at least 52 total points in the game (tie-breaker) to win about $100. So we want a high scoring game! I need lots of TDs, Mr. Brady!

I rooted for the Giants entirely out of spite for the Patriots last time, this time I'm flip-flopping for personal gain. I have now realized that I am a horrible person.

Of course, when you're a Redskins fan who usually has no rooting interest in the playoffs, you have to get your personal gain somewhere.

01-31-12, 06:05 PM (EST)
18. "Jello Shot Instructions"
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-New-York-Giants-Jello-Shots
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-New-England-Patriots-Jello-Shots

01-31-12, 08:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Super Bowl Forty-Six pregame trash talking thread."
From ESPN writer D.J. Gallo:

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo had some interesting comments about the Patriots at a news conference last week: "I'll tell you what's interesting about the New England Patriots. Isn't it interesting that no specific state identifies with the team? New England, as in mid-Atlantic Chargers. Why didn't Massachusetts say, 'It's our team?' Massachusetts Patriots. Vermont Patriots. New Hampshire Patriots. They all have semideniability; that's what I think this is."

That's a pretty good point. The only way it would be worse is if the Patriots didn't even play in New England. But thankfully all NFL teams play their games in the place specified in their team name.

Ouch.

01-31-12, 08:44 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Super Bowl Forty-Six pregame trash talking thread."
Now let's see: why don't the Patriots have Boston in front of their name? Oh, right -- they did. Once. And then one day, they had a desperate need for a new stadium. (Unlike most teams, it was an actual need.) And there was this perfect patch of land available. All the Patriots needed was for the city to zone and sell the land while Harvard hosted them during the two years of construction. And given the era, the team was paying for most of it. Simple.

This being Boston, what happened was that the city's politicians turned the land issue into a You Blink First dogfight where no one ever blinked and a beautiful new landfill turned out to be more important than retaining their team -- while Harvard refused to take a temporary tenant because the mere presence of an NFL team on a college off-day would destroy the sanctity of amateur athletics. In the end, everyone just pointed fingers at each other (except for Harvard, which did not understand how it could have done anything wrong) and spread the blame around while the Patriots sighed and looked for any parcel of suitable land that wasn't under the control of Boston politicians.

Not sure there's any real moral high ground here. But if there was, the Boston city council would designate it as a garbage dump.

PepeLePew13 24731 desperate attention whore postings

01-31-12, 09:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Super Bowl Forty-Six pregame trash talking thread."
Interesting. There was once the New England Whalers, initially played in Boston for a year or two in the WHA then moved to Hartford before the team changed its name to Hartford Whalers upon entering the NHL in 1979 because the Boston Bruins wouldn't accept them with the 'New England' name.

I also didn't think it was a good idea back in the days when franchises such as the California Angels or California Golden Seals or Florida Marlins used the state name for their teams when there were already additional teams in the same state. What's wrong with using the city name? It's one thing when you basically represent the entire state or a whole region, such as the Minnesota teams.

02-01-12, 11:50 AM (EST)
22. "RE: Super Bowl Forty-Six pregame trash talking thread."
What's wrong with using the city name? It's one thing when you basically represent the entire state or a whole region, such as the Minnesota teams.

The Patriots' stadium in Foxboro is much closer to Rhode Island than to Boston. (for example, Webby lived in Rhode Island and was half an hour closer to the stadium that I am in Lexington). It would be like calling a team that plays in Anaheim (over an hour outside of LA) the "Los Angeles Angels" -- ridiculous.

As far as representing a region, all of New England is behind the Patriots and Red Sox except for the part of Connecticut that is a New York City suburb (basically, west of Hartford). The Red Sox, though, actually play in Boston.

02-01-12, 04:25 PM (EST)
23. "Media Day."
In a collective performance that will define a generation of athletes, both teams got through their sessions without directly answering a single question.

*applause*

02-01-12, 05:10 PM (EST)
24. "RE: Media Day."
Did they all wear gray hoodies too?

02-02-12, 04:28 PM (EST)
25. ""They use you up.""
Lest we forget.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7532284/plaintiffs-depict-nfl-apathetic-concussions

This might actually be the saddest line in the whole thing.

According to the NFL Players Association, full lifetime medical insurance was not sought by current and former union leadership because such a plan would cost an estimated $50 million a year and the current U.S. health care laws should cover most players with pre-existing conditions.

For the next six minutes.

Less than two million per team walked away from that would ensure a lifetime of doctors who will listen to you. Each generation believes they're immortal until the moment they aren't...

02-02-12, 09:52 PM (EST)
26. "RE: "They use you up.""
LAST EDITED ON 02-02-12 AT 09:53 PM (EST)

Was there actually anyone that didn't think concussions would be a long-time problem? Ever? At least, anyone with half a brain?

The Mike Webster story made it clear how little the league does for its ex-stars. But this article doesn't make them very sympathetic, even though the Dorsett quote (the title of Estee's post) is exactly correct.

I found the ESPN video segment significantly weaker than the article. Thje video just seemed to be a puff piece scripted by a plaintiffs' attorney. Clearly Joe DeLamielleure has had too many hits to the brain already if he thinks Riddell owes him money because its helmet didn't protect him better.

I particularly liked how, after the voice-over reporter and the shameless, brainless Sen. Udall trashed Riddell for saying its Revolution helmets were safer, completely trashing the research on which the article that Riddell cited in its advertising was based and slamming Riddell for a possible conflict of interest because Riddell paid for part of the study, the reporter went to Virginia Tech and reported, with no reference to the earlier slanders, that their testing center rated the Riddell Revolution as 5 stars out of 5 in head protection.

Then the reporter slammed Riddell because the league lets players wear older Riddell helmets that didn't rank as highly.

Simply put, this is one of the dumbest stories I've ever seen -- an embarrassingly transparent hit piece.

I'm surprised they didn't blast Riddell for this video, which is of the older helmet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zohDO3KSyRE&feature=related

02-03-12, 12:00 PM (EST)
27. "RE: "They use you up.""
Another article partially summarized an interview with Goodell where he discussed or avoided several issues, and among his claims of the NFL being a leading sport in injury research and how the other sports looked to football for leadership was this: the second largest source of concussions in athletics? Girls' soccer.

O-kay...

...well, I can kind of see it. Maybe not all from incidental collisions, but tripping (or being tripped) and hitting the ground added to the inevitable 'I don't know how to do a proper header yet' along with most of your typical red-card actions could bring the stats up. And as we all know, girls are vicious to start with. But 'soccer' plus 'helmet' isn't an equation most coaches are going to work with.

02-03-12, 08:10 PM (EST)
28. "This should offend absolutely everyone. "

02-04-12, 01:45 AM (EST)
29. "RE: This should offend absolutely everyone. "
I am party!

Ouch.

02-04-12, 10:31 PM (EST)
30. "The NFL awards show on NBC."
It's a wonderful night for -- filler?

02-04-12, 11:21 PM (EST)
31. "RE: The NFL awards show on NBC."
Because

1 hour of the Today Show
1 hour Road to the Super Bowl and
5 hours of Pregame show

cannot possibly hold all the filler.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •