The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The NHL realignment."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Sports Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 55195 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-06-11, 01:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The NHL realignment."
So after everything's shuffled and rearranged and shifted around, the grand total effect on the league will be --

-- nothing?

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/7321214/nhl-approves-radical-four-conference-alignment-plan

Well, increased frequent flyer miles, but that's about it.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The NHL realignment. aethelstan 12-06-11 1
   RE: The NHL realignment. AyaK 12-06-11 2
       RE: The NHL realignment. PepeLePew13 12-06-11 3
           RE: The NHL realignment. HobbsofMI 12-07-11 4
               RE: The NHL realignment. aethelstan 12-08-11 5
                   RE: The NHL realignment. HobbsofMI 12-08-11 6
                       RE: The NHL realignment. Colonel Zoidberg 01-03-12 7
 Forerunner of Strike #2 AyaK 01-08-12 8

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

aethelstan 4348 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

12-06-11, 03:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail aethelstan Click to send private message to aethelstan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: The NHL realignment."
Actually, it will be decreased frequent flier miles except maybe for the northeastern teams that picked up the two Florida teams in their conference. But because most stay in their time zones, teams will do more north-south traveling than east-west traveling which will be better for the players and their fans who won't have to wait up as long as they used to to find out scores.

Also, it is set up such that if Phoenix moves to Quebec no further realignment is necessary because the Pacific conference already has 8 teams and the northeast+florida has 7. It's pretty decent overall.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

AyaK 10083 desperate attention whore postings

12-06-11, 06:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The NHL realignment."
Detroit and Columbus are still stuck in the West, with a bunch of teams from the Central time zone (Chicago, Nashville, Dallas, Minnesota, St. Louis, Winnipeg). I guess having 16 teams in the Eastern time zone and 14 in the other 3 time zones doesn't indicate to the NHL that the Eastern time zone teams should be grouped together. . . .

PepeLePew13 24731 desperate attention whore postings

12-06-11, 09:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: The NHL realignment."
The reasoning was that not only is it easier to work with in case Phoenix gets moved to either Quebec City or the Greater Toronto Area thus making it 15-15 and avoiding another realignment later on if Detroit/Columbus moves to the East, but also teams such as Nashville, Minnesota and others see Detroit as the biggest draw at the box office so it would have impacted their bottom lines more than it would have for the Eastern teams who are mostly going to do well no matter who the road team is.

Personally, I'm not crazy about the new realignment scheme - I would rather see six 5-team divisions and would have preferred to move some teams around to keep the system as is rather than have four conferences.

Although, I do see how it makes sense geographically:

HobbsofMI 15959 desperate attention whore postings

12-07-11, 02:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: The NHL realignment."
I would have liked to see Detroit in the Eastern so we would play Montreal and Toronto more but we do get a home and home with everyone in the league so that is nice.

Those FL teams are way out of position and maybe should have been in the Atlantic and take the NY teams to the Eastern with Boston. The Atlantic teams can still bus to many of their games and be home by midnight but they'll have two trips out west each year so that will balance things out.

What happens if one of the FL teams move or they fold a 2 teams?

I also like the playoffs with you staying within your conference for the first two rounds and I hope they reseed when they get down to 4 thus keeping it fair and making regular season points mean something for that seeding.

sig Syren, bouncy by IceCat, bobble head by Tribephyl, and snoglobe by agman

aethelstan 4348 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

12-08-11, 10:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail aethelstan Click to send private message to aethelstan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: The NHL realignment."
I can see where it would have made a lot of sense to put Detroit and Columbus in with the two Eastern Conferences, but my feeling is that the NHL is basically admitting that there will be some movement of teams sooner rather than later. Phoenix to Quebec City is a possibility but the Islanders, the Panthers, the Blue Jackets. the Stars and even the Devils have financial issues.

I can see Phoenix and Florida moving in the next few years. I'd like to see Columbus succeed since it's a northern state but it's not looking great there. I can see teams relocated to Quebec City, Seattle and/or Toronto/Hamilton/SW Ontario.

Also, I think Chicago campaigned heavily to ensure that Detroit stays in the same division as the Black Hawks as did the other central (and former Norris division) teams.

HobbsofMI 15959 desperate attention whore postings

12-08-11, 12:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: The NHL realignment."
I think they kept Detroit in the Central to also help Columbus, Nashville and now Minnesota as when the Wings come to town it's most likely a sell out. Plus keep the rivalry with Chicago.

Yes, I can see if teams fold and move east they have a plan for that as they kept both conferences on the East coast at seven while the two to the West have 8 each.

Overall it's a good compromise IMHO as everyone gave a little up to get it done.

sig Syren, bouncy by IceCat, bobble head by Tribephyl, and snoglobe by agman

Colonel Zoidberg 3645 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

01-03-12, 02:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to send private message to Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: The NHL realignment."
I think they kept Detroit in the Central to also help Columbus, Nashville and now Minnesota as when the Wings come to town it's most likely a sell out.

As a Columbus resident, I can tell you matter-of-factly that the only way the Jackets would sell out the arena these days, even with the Wings in the building, is to offer Ohio State football tickets with every purchase.

That having been said, for the most part, I like the realignment.

AyaK 10083 desperate attention whore postings

01-08-12, 11:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "Forerunner of Strike #2"
The NFLPA refused to approve the realignment, so it's not happening for 2012-13. It may never happen during the life of this labor contract.

With the revenue realignment in the NBA to a 50-50 plan, both the players and owners in the NHL are expecting another work stoppage (and the owners to demand around a 50-50 revenue split instead of their current player-friendly 43-57, which was itself a scaleback when compared to the pre-cap years). This is merely the first salvo to another work stoppage.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •