The Amazing Race   American Idol   America's Next Top Model   The Apprentice   The Bachelor
Big Brother   The Biggest Loser   Dancing with the Stars   Survivor                Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The Ohio State scandal."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Sports Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 49148 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-31-11, 05:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The Ohio State scandal."
"For all the fans who reacted negatively, half wanted me to move to Michigan, half wanted me to move to Nashville with Kirk Herbstreit. I wish there would have been a consensus."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&page=wojciechowski/110531&sportCat=ncf

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The Ohio State scandal. PepeLePew13 05-31-11 1
   RE: The Ohio State scandal. Round Robin 06-01-11 2
       RE: The Ohio State scandal. AyaK 06-01-11 3
           RE: The Ohio State scandal. HobbsofMI 06-01-11 4
               RE: The Ohio State scandal. AyaK 06-02-11 5
 These two stories are not related i... Estee 06-08-11 6
   RE: These two stories are not relat... AyaK 06-08-11 7
       RE: These two stories are not relat... HobbsofMI 06-08-11 8
           RE: These two stories are not relat... Estee 06-08-11 9
               RE: These two stories are not relat... AyaK 06-08-11 10
 RE: The Ohio State scandal. Max Headroom 06-09-11 11
   RE: The Ohio State scandal. AyaK 06-09-11 12
       RE: The Ohio State scandal. PepeLePew13 06-09-11 13
           RE: The Ohio State scandal. AyaK 06-09-11 14
               RE: The Ohio State scandal. PepeLePew13 06-09-11 17
   He doesn't want to go. Estee 06-09-11 15
       RE: He doesn't want to go. Max Headroom 06-09-11 16
       Two predictions: HobbsofMI 06-09-11 18
           RE: Two predictions: Estee 06-10-11 19
               RE: Two predictions: vince3 06-10-11 20
 It just keeps getting better. Estee 06-10-11 21
 Holidays only celebrities get. Estee 06-15-11 22
   RE: Holidays only celebrities get. HobbsofMI 06-15-11 23
       RE: Holidays only celebrities get. AyaK 06-15-11 24
           RE: Holidays only celebrities get. HobbsofMI 06-15-11 25
               RE: Holidays only celebrities get. AyaK 06-15-11 26
                   RE: Holidays only celebrities get. HobbsofMI 06-20-11 27
                       RE: Holidays only celebrities get. AyaK 06-21-11 28
                           RE: Holidays only celebrities get. HobbsofMI 06-22-11 29
                               RE: Holidays only celebrities get. AyaK 08-02-11 32
 Limbo. Estee 07-30-11 30
   RE: Limbo. AyaK 08-02-11 31
 Pryor drafted by -- Estee 08-24-11 33
 Sentence: one year banned from the... Estee 12-21-11 34
   RE: Sentence: one year banned from... AyaK 12-29-11 37
       RE: Sentence: one year banned from... HobbsofMI 12-30-11 38
 In the 'Better Late Than Never' dep... Molaholic 12-21-11 35
   RE: In the 'Better Late Than Never'... Estee 12-21-11 36

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

PepeLePew13 22495 desperate attention whore postings

05-31-11, 08:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: The Ohio State scandal."
LAST EDITED ON 05-31-11 AT 08:09 PM (EST)

SI's big article on Tressel and further infractions

Pryor's in trouble, too ... now focus of investigation

Maybe one way to get the attention of those thinking of committing violations is to suspend them for, let's say, 3 years - including the OSU players who could simply just go straight to the NFL instead of sitting out the five-game suspensions this coming season. These five players will just be laughing all the way to the bank while their old program burns, just like Reggie Bush did and so many other athletes.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Round Robin 1343 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

06-01-11, 04:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Round%20Robin Click to send private message to Round%20Robin Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The Ohio State scandal."
From what I hear, the people in Columbus are ready to run Pryor out of town on a rail, including Tressel's supporters on the current team. If he sticks around, I think he'll get declared ineligible, and if the NFL holds a supplemental draft, he's not likely to wait around for the NCAA to ax him.

AyaK 8831 desperate attention whore postings

06-01-11, 08:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: The Ohio State scandal."
An an OSU alum, I think that's an entirely accurate characterization of current feeling in Columbus. Pryor may not be ready for the NFL, but the new car scam, added to the trinkets-for-cash-and-tats scam makes it certain that he'll eventually be suspended for the entire season. And that's only if he isn't murdered by the citizenry first.

It's obvious now that Jim Tressel was another John Wooden -- spout pieties by the bushel basket while turning a blind eye to a legion of improprieties between players and boosters. Tressel would probably still be able to pull off this fraud if other people in Columbus hadn't believed in the image and tipped him off about the trinkets-for-tats-and-cash scam. Even now, I can hear Tressel's ghost saying that he's shocked, shocked, by the new car scams -- in pretty much the same way that Wooden always said he was shocked, shocked, by the Sam Gilbert payoffs to his star players during his championship runs. Gary Barlow said he was afraid he'd be injured (or worse) by Gilbert if he tried to stop the payoffs, but Mr. Clean Wooden knew nothing about them. Just like Tressel would have said that he knew nothing about any of this if the e-mails hadn't shown that he was lying.

Why Tressel lied is the real question. He could have come clean when the scandal broke in December and skated on his excuse that he thought this information was related to a criminal investigation and therefore confidential. He probably could have gotten by with his two-game suspension had he done that. Maybe he just figured that he couldn't win if he didn't cheat. But once he lied to the NCAA, it was inevitable that he'd get fired, and I was actually stunned that OSU started out by defending him.

Maybe his bosses at OSU believed in his image, too. If so, I have just one word for them: suckers.

HobbsofMI 15528 desperate attention whore postings

06-01-11, 09:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: The Ohio State scandal."
So with Pryor's 8 and now 9 cars would be hard to notice...when is the AD and President going to be fired?

GO WINGS! 2008 Stanley Cup Champs!
sig Snidget and by IceCat, and bobble head by Tribephyl

06-02-11, 08:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: The Ohio State scandal."
LAST EDITED ON 06-02-11 AT 06:58 PM (EST)

The OSU president, Gordon Gee, has nothing to worry about, even if sports writers didn't like his comment that he was more worried about Tressel firing him. I had occasion to speak to the Ohio House, with Gee, on behalf of the Ohio state university system a number of years ago (before Gee went off to head Vanderbilt and then came back), and he's an excellent speaker. As an administrator, his job is PR, not actually running enforcement. This isn't Japan; you don't have to commit seppuku for the failings of your subordinates.

But I think the AD may be in a lot of trouble and probably will end up on the road out of town soon. The trinkets-for-tats-and-cash wouldn't get him fired for an overall poor control atmosphere; that's clearly just on Tressel. But the new cars will -- and should. If Pryor's new cars were so widely known, that bespeaks a poor control environment, one in which no one followed up on an obvious telltale symbol of NCAA violations.

06-08-11, 03:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "These two stories are not related in any way."
Or so claims Terrelle Pryor's attorney.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6636768
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6637444

Way to declare for a draft which may not even exist. Now if only he'd held on to some of that equally nonexistent cash...

06-08-11, 09:03 AM (EST)
7. "RE: These two stories are not related in any way."
As I said before, I was sure that Prior would be gone before the season. It seemed to me that the new car scandal would be his doom, but that was before the cash scandal.

06-08-11, 10:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: These two stories are not related in any way."
How many others of the 5 that were suspended for the first 5 games will no go since the Sweater Vest can't blackmail them into staying? Plus it seems like there are more than 5 so will OSU have enough players left to field a team this year?

06-08-11, 10:12 AM (EST)
9. "RE: These two stories are not related in any way."
They could always audition walk-ons from the student population. Because, y'know, college athletics is supposed to be all about amateur competition.

06-08-11, 12:58 PM (EST)
10. "RE: These two stories are not related in any way."
When I was at OSU, the team had a phenomenal number of players, many of whom were walk-ons. One year in the 1980s, the starting QB had come to OSU as a walk-on (and then later played for over a decade in the NFL, although mostly not at QB). Traditionally, there has been a lot of talent -- although there really are no Terrelle Pryors among the walk-ons. But, right now, that's probably a good thing.

Max Headroom 9213 desperate attention whore postings

06-09-11, 01:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: The Ohio State scandal."
I think Terrelle Pryor will be a big hit in Regina.

06-09-11, 02:01 PM (EST)
12. "RE: The Ohio State scandal."
LAST EDITED ON 06-09-11 AT 02:03 PM (EST)

Warren Moon (Edmonton) and Doug Flutie (Calgary) both won Grey Cups next door in Alberta. It would actually be a good move for Pryor if he rally wants to be an NFL QB, because he's never shown that ability consistently with OSU.

Edited to add: Of course, gong to Canada didn't work out nearly as well for Art Schlichter.

06-09-11, 02:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: The Ohio State scandal."
Here's hoping he's more like Vince Ferragamo than Moon or Flutie.

06-09-11, 02:04 PM (EST)
14. "RE: The Ohio State scandal."
That's a hope that I think is very likely to come true.

06-09-11, 08:30 PM (EST)
17. "RE: The Ohio State scandal."
You know, it's interesting about the comparison between 1981 and today when you look at the Ferragamo situation. A quick bit of research:

Initially, I thought that Ferragamo must have been nuts to even consider the CFL over being QB for a Super Bowl finalist, but then saw that he was coming off a season where he earned $47,500 and was offered $250,000 by the Rams ... and was offered $600,000 by the Alouettes. No wonder he fled for the CFL!

That just shows you how much things have changed in the past 30 years and how far the CFL has fallen in terms of stature... Today's highest paid player in the CFL is Casey Printers at $500,000 a year, which is 17% *less* than what Ferragamo was paid thirty years ago. And today's lowest paid third-string QBs in the NFL are in the $405-477K range.

06-09-11, 03:04 PM (EST)
15. "He doesn't want to go."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6644544

He'll keep crossing his fingers on a supplemental draft for a league actively considering self-destruct. Because all those years of college have taught him so much about practical planning.

Gotta love the note about his no longer cooperating with any NCAA investigation. He's effectively taken the Reggie Bush route: he did it, he doesn't care, and everyone else can clean up the mess. Plus if you act now, you can buy the rights for his first future professional game throwing at 15% off! Sure, he may not have done it to date, but when he finds out how much money there is in it...

Max Headroom 9213 desperate attention whore postings

06-09-11, 03:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: He doesn't want to go."
The guy's on the Maurice Clarett road to nowhere.

06-09-11, 09:16 PM (EST)
18. "Two predictions: "
1. He won't get picked in the supplemental draft, teams won't think he's even worth a 7th round pick.

2. He'll never talk to the NCAA but he'll be talking to the IRS for all those signings $'s because I bet he didn't get a 1099 or claimed it on his 1040.

06-10-11, 09:48 AM (EST)
19. "RE: Two predictions: "
LAST EDITED ON 06-10-11 AT 11:03 AM (EST)

1. I have more doubts about whether we'll get a supplemental draft than if he'll be picked in it. Fourth chances may be hard to come by in the NFL, but seconds are a virtual guarantee. Some owner will be stupid enough to order his GM into making the pick. The only long odds I'd give you would be an Ohio-based team.

2. No doubt it wasn't claimed, but the IRS probably needs a little more proof of income before they move.

vince3 17341 desperate attention whore postings

06-10-11, 10:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Two predictions: "
I think at worst, he will end up being a WR/TE/CB in the NFL. If there is one thing that can't be taught it's natural size/abilities... and since he's 6'5"... that's a decent to great height to go up and at least catch the ball in some form or fashion...

Heck, the Steelers have a few WRs that used to play at QB. Antwon Randel-El, and Hines Ward, for examples...

06-10-11, 05:15 PM (EST)
21. "It just keeps getting better."
I'll be disappointed if we don't get to point shaving.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6649132

06-15-11, 08:06 AM (EST)
22. "Holidays only celebrities get."
I see yesterday was National I Don't See How I Did Anything Wrong But My Agent Told Me To Apologize Anyway Day. (Terelle and LeBron led the festivities.)

06-15-11, 11:22 AM (EST)
23. "RE: Holidays only celebrities get."
OSU's need head coach should also be included in that group.

06-15-11, 12:02 PM (EST)
24. "RE: Holidays only celebrities get."
What did OSU's interim head coach apologize for? I must have missed it.

06-15-11, 12:52 PM (EST)
25. "RE: Holidays only celebrities get."
That he saw no evil, hear no evil, or speak no evil: he said he knew nothing of all the violations. I think Prior's 8 cars would be hard to miss for anyone in the football program, athletic dept, and admin.

06-15-11, 06:03 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Holidays only celebrities get."
That doesn't sound like an apology to me.

Maybe it sounds differently to a Michigander (sorry, I can't stand Michiganian).

06-20-11, 11:06 AM (EST)
27. "RE: Holidays only celebrities get."
I went to MTU so I'm not a UofM diehard but just like when they got caught I found it amazing that only one person know or could figure it out (football RR and basketball Fab 5).

Same goes for here, Prior had 8 different cars, other players had multiple cars, players seem to have cash, and this car dealer has been around the program a lot. It had to raise more than one red flag with someone.

So Tressel took the fall and everyone else gets off scott free.

06-21-11, 07:27 PM (EST)
28. "RE: Holidays only celebrities get."
Or maybe we hear a lot of things that aren't true in addition to the things that are true whenever this kind of scandal starts, because there are always people willing to say almost anything in return for a little publicity.

Report finds Ohio State football players did not get car deals

06-22-11, 12:25 PM (EST)
29. "RE: Holidays only celebrities get."
One thing down a lot to go.

I still have a hard time thinking that only one person knew or no one else in the whole program, school, etc. did not see red flags. Well it's is OSU so there is a lot of red flags around so may those red flags were lost in the shuffle.

08-02-11, 07:05 PM (EST)
32. "RE: Holidays only celebrities get."
Actually, I'd expect that some of the players who were Pryor's friends (if he even had any) knew. But I seriously doubt Tressel told anyone else at OSU, considering that this was a criminal case being investigated by the Feds, and the ex-OSU player/attorney who e-mailed Tressel to tell him about Pryor's involvement wouldn't have e-mailed anyone else, since he was potentially compromising a criminal investigation by telling Tressel.

I expect that OSU's major blunder was believing Jim Tressel's self-hype about his personal morals. Maybe he was really hyping his lack thereof.

07-30-11, 07:22 AM (EST)
30. "Limbo."
http://tinyurl.com/3jztwlb

'Apathetic bloody football player. I've no sympathy at all.'

Oh, so it's all our fault for making him feel he could get away with anything! Would the NCAA mind declaring me ineligible for Division 1 Pity Marathons? Because no matter how much anyone begs, I'm just not running the course without being paid for it.

08-02-11, 06:54 PM (EST)
31. "RE: Limbo."
It amazes me that Pryor can still find sycophants in the media willing to portray him as a victim.

But I guess it shouldn't. There are always sportswriters willing to shill for star athletes.

I can't count the number of references I've heard to Michael Vick's courage over the last two years. Of course, had Vick come out of prison and played like Ryan Leaf, no one would talk about his courage, just his train wreck.

08-24-11, 12:42 PM (EST)
33. "Pryor drafted by --"
-- Oakland. He has a five-game suspension which kicks in as soon as the season begins, but after that, he's a full-time Raider.

He should fit right in.

12-21-11, 12:27 PM (EST)
34. "Sentence: one year banned from the cash grab."
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7372757/ohio-state-buckeyes-football-penalties-include-bowl-ban

Plus it'll take Tressel a whole extra twelve minutes to find another job.

12-29-11, 07:25 PM (EST)
37. "RE: Sentence: one year banned from the cash grab."
The one-year bowl ban is meaningful but not particularly harmful to OSU, which owes an enormous debt to Luke Fickell for getting the school through this interim year without a mass talent exodus from the program among the incoming recruits.

Only a couple of prominent recruits bailed (unfortunately including one from my former HS), and the addition of Urban Meyer as the new coach (with Fickell apparently staying on for a year as defensive coordinator, which means former NFL star Mike Vrabel, Fickell's college roommate, will stick around as well) means that new recruits will walk through walls to come to OSU.

12-30-11, 10:29 AM (EST)
38. "RE: Sentence: one year banned from the cash grab."
All is good until Meyer gets a headache, knows the team will be bad, and quits again to move back the the SEC.

They got off easy.

sig Syren, bouncy by IceCat, bobble head by Tribephyl, and snoglobe by agman

Molaholic 7586 desperate attention whore postings

12-21-11, 12:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "In the 'Better Late Than Never' department"
considering the original thresd date, but shouldn't the title have been

"The THE Ohio State scandal"?

and yes, IMHO when compared to the death sentence given USC, the slap-on-the-wrist penalty really svcks.

12-21-11, 12:41 PM (EST)
36. "RE: In the 'Better Late Than Never' department"
It was a TOSUp.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •