The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The Biggest Loser"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Biggest Loser Forum (Protected)
Original message

blacknwhitedog 6528 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-27-04, 11:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail blacknwhitedog Click to send private message to blacknwhitedog Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The Biggest Loser"
Premieres on NBC Tuesday Oct 19 @ 8PM

Looks like a bunch of fat people will compete for who can lose the most weight my dieting and exercise (not surgery). I think they live in a house together like Big Brother? They seem to have a big table full of sweets for temptation.

I may watch out of morbid facination

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The Biggest Loser Swami 09-27-04 1
 RE: The Biggest Loser Estee 09-27-04 2
   Summarizing MTW1961 10-05-04 4
 RE: The Biggest Loser SilverStar 09-30-04 3
 RE: The Biggest Loser okaychatt 10-14-04 5
   RE: The Biggest Loser newsomewayne 10-20-04 12
 RE: The Biggest Loser MTW1961 10-19-04 6
   RE: The Biggest Loser volsfan 10-19-04 7
       RE: The Biggest Loser MTW1961 10-20-04 14
           RE: The Biggest Loser SurvivorBlows 10-20-04 20
               RE: The Biggest Loser MTW1961 10-20-04 21
                   RE: The Biggest Loser volsfan 10-20-04 22
 The first episode! volsfan 10-19-04 8
   RE: The first episode! Denalio 10-20-04 9
 RE: The Biggest Loser Estee 10-20-04 10
   RE: The Biggest Loser volsfan 10-20-04 11
   RE: The Biggest Loser MTW1961 10-20-04 15
       RE: The Biggest Loser Estee 10-20-04 17
           RE: The Biggest Loser volsfan 10-20-04 18
 RE: The Biggest Loser blacknwhitedog 10-20-04 13
   RE: The Biggest Loser Estee 10-20-04 16
 RE: The Biggest Loser frodo2 10-20-04 19
 RE: The Biggest Loser arkiegrl 10-20-04 23
   RE: The Biggest Loser MTW1961 10-20-04 24
       RE: The Biggest Loser Smooth23 10-20-04 25
           RE: The Biggest Loser MTW1961 10-20-04 26
               RE: The Biggest Loser volsfan 10-20-04 27
       RE: The Biggest Loser arkiegrl 10-20-04 28
           RE: The Biggest Loser MTW1961 10-20-04 29
               RE: The Biggest Loser frodo2 10-21-04 30
                   RE: The Biggest Loser volsfan 10-21-04 31
                       RE: The Biggest Loser pmspml5 10-22-04 34
 RE: The Biggest Loser MollyTV 10-22-04 32
   RE: The Biggest Loser newsomewayne 10-22-04 33

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Swami 5883 desperate attention whore postings

09-27-04, 12:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Swami Click to send private message to Swami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: The Biggest Loser"
First thought? I am so not going to watch this one!

"It's not the voting that's democracy; it's the counting." --Josef Stalin

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Estee 55195 desperate attention whore postings

09-27-04, 12:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The Biggest Loser"
Anyone want to summarize this? Anyone...? Beuller? Beuller?

I'm very mildly curious about the diets -- are they going to assign one person to the Atkins cult, another to South Beach, a third to the dreaded 'eat less and exercise', and so on down the line -- but beyond that, this feels like a train wreck waiting for the first green light.

MTW1961 4029 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

10-05-04, 07:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MTW1961 Click to send private message to MTW1961 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "Summarizing"
LAST EDITED ON 10-05-04 AT 07:33 PM (EST)

This junk food reality TV sounds right up my alley. I'll do an episode or two. How about you? Silverstar? Anyone else?

Handcrafted by RollDdice!

SilverStar 6205 desperate attention whore postings

09-30-04, 12:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SilverStar Click to send private message to SilverStar Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: The Biggest Loser"
I might watch this one. They have something similar on the Discovery Channel called the Body Health Challenge, or something like that. My sister watches that and she really likes it. Of course, I doubt that the Discovery Channel is evil enough to tempt the people with tables of junk food.

Handcrafted by RollDdice
On the scales of desire, your absence weighs more than someone else's presence.

okaychatt 2810 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

10-14-04, 11:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail okaychatt Click to send private message to okaychatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: The Biggest Loser"
I'll push myself away from the remote and pass on this one. Like The Swan, this one is preying on unhappy, vulnerable people, even though they are DAWS. That's just wrong.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

newsomewayne 9065 desperate attention whore postings

10-20-04, 10:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail newsomewayne Click to send private message to newsomewayne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: The Biggest Loser"
While I agree the producers are preying on those unhappy with themselves, I think there are some important differences.

For one, on the Big L, contestants do all the work themselves. If they lose the weight it is because of something they did and can be proud of, not because of what some doctor or dentist can do with surgery and silicone.

Second, unlike considering yourself unattractive, obesity is dangerous to your health. The changes these people can make are so important on so many levels that have nothing to do with vanity.

I wish them luck.

It's like science. It really can't be explained.

10-19-04, 02:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MTW1961 Click to send private message to MTW1961 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: The Biggest Loser"
It starts tonight. Are we summarizing? Anybody?

And does it get it's own forum here on RealityTVWorld?

volsfan 19846 desperate attention whore postings

10-19-04, 08:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail volsfan Click to send private message to volsfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: The Biggest Loser"
HEY MTW! I am watching but I haven't taped it! I had SOTS this week and have a Real World summary of tonight's episode! I wouldn't mind summarizing somewhere down the road! You want tonight's episode?

Director of Public Relations for GAWKUR!

10-20-04, 12:01 PM (EST)
14. "RE: The Biggest Loser"
I have no other summaries on my plate, so I guess I'll do episode 1. Maybe we can generate a little reader enthusiasm, and get more board action going. It would sure be nice if the show had its own forum, though.

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

10-20-04, 05:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: The Biggest Loser"
OK, ok, if folks are willing to do summaries, then I'll be willing to give you your own forum

10-20-04, 05:55 PM (EST)
21. "RE: The Biggest Loser"
GREAT! I'll do Episode 1 at least. Vols said he'd do a later episode. Anyone else interested? Valuable summary experience!

10-20-04, 06:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail volsfan Click to send private message to volsfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: The Biggest Loser"
I can do next week's summary! I got epi 2!

10-19-04, 09:06 PM (EST)
8. "The first episode!"
Has been pretty good! I have enjoyed it! Also, how cruel was that to put the breakfast food on the table in front of them? I know that is how it will be when they go back home but...DAMN!

Denalio 903 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

10-20-04, 00:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Denalio Click to send private message to Denalio Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: The first episode!"
I decided to check it out and realize I SO don't really want to watch this, (it's like the noticing the plumbers' butt crack - you don't want to see it but almost can't help but look) and now I am curious and a little weirded out.

First of all, it doesn't seem very healthy to promote the "Lose as much weight as fast as you can" approach to fitness. I will be interested to see the medical worlds' response to this show. Secondly, it seems overly unfair to the less obese people. The more obese people will lose weight the fastest with less effort. Males will generally lose more weight than females with less effort. ** And third, I am curious about how in the world they plan to continue comparing overall weight loss when one person of the team is eliminated each week?? 'Splain that one to me Mark EP Burnett?

** OK the previews show that attitude and succumbing to temptation plays a role as well-- so maybe the playing field between the severly obese vs mildly obese and male vs female evens out here...

~denalio "using apostrophes inappropriately since 1997"

10-20-04, 06:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: The Biggest Loser"
LAST EDITED ON 10-20-04 AT 09:26 AM (EST)

Morbid fascination grabbed a few minutes away from Boston/New York, so I can say the following:

1. I tried to watch it as a pure competition/lifestyle change show, sort of like Queer Eye contestants finding out who'll go and meet the Fab Five by seeing who can do the best wardrobe change without them. Hard. Very hard. They were walking on the border between caring about their contestants and pushing them into the fat joke abyss, and there were a lot of moments when they almost fell off the line -- mostly visual. The temptation refrigerators, that first public weigh-in and putting everyone in bathing suits to start... This is going to be a hard show to make fun of as far as the players go, because I want to see them succeed, and it looks like the producers will be pushing for failure at least twice a show.

2. The production values are really, really vulnerable. Let's count off just a few of the travesties, all right? Caroline Rhea can lead off, because she seems to think she's Jiffie and she brought the Reward Challenge to prove it. 'Wanna see what you're playing for? Five pounds of lard!' And so Bubba's TV career is resumed.

I have suffered more than this in watching Ms. Rhea go through the reality motions. I watched her win Celebrity Blackjack's first season and prove she could be a sore loser, a sore winner, and injure poor Billy Baldwin -- twice -- without caring in the least, because she's Caroline Rhea and above the emotions of lesser beings. But let this thing run for a while, and it'll get close by the fourth episode. With her need to Jiffie-recap the votes (the platters... I can still see the platters...), 'time to cut the fat' lines, and overall aura of 'This is the best job I could get -- whee!', she can be plowed into the ground during every episode, and no one will care beyond enjoying it a lot.

Oh, and the refrigerator going dark? Priceless. We need a line for that. 'The power company has spoken.' 'Your bulb is dead to us.' 'This is the final snack of the night.'

Nice scale, too. I didn't know they came in drama models that took five minutes to center on the subject's weight.

And did anyone else notice the tape measure numbers scrolling by behind the contestants' names during their confessional-tells?

3. Quarter-million dollars? Cheapstakes.

4. Doctors on hand, medical supervision, carefully tailored programs, making sure no one hurts themselves doing this -- even though it's gonna inspire a thousand dieting traumas in the viewers who go to work without such safeguards (and would have anyway), just watch -- but still, everyone thinks carbs are evil. Y'know what I'm waiting for? The all-veggie, no-carb, low-protein diet. Guaranteed to work because nothing takes off weight like decomposition.

5. Okay, so it was kind of fun to see the weight loss tallies. And following up on the banished should be a weekly thing.

6. How on Earth do you vote? Survivor is 'eat the strong': is this going to be 'eat the big?' Keep the heaviest people around for the early stages, hoping their losses will be the highest and rack up your tally -- and then get rid of them as soon as possible if it somehow goes down to individual competition, so they can't lose more than you?

7. I give it three weeks before someone takes a swing at a trainer.

8. I give it five weeks before FOX rips it off.

10-20-04, 09:18 AM (EST)
11. "RE: The Biggest Loser"
I can't believe FOX didn't rip them off and beat them to production!

10-20-04, 12:06 PM (EST)
15. "RE: The Biggest Loser"
Ack! I violated my own personal rule and visited the message board before writing a summary. Now I am destined to ripoff some of your thoughts. I will attribute them accordingly.

One other thought I had - the production style seemed reminiscient of the FLOM shows, especially with the way they cut before commercials and repeated the previous few seconds at the resumption, constant previews, etc. I know many shows do this, but it seemed like FLOM. I was half expecting some secret twist where one is offered money to sabotage the others.

10-20-04, 12:31 PM (EST)
17. "RE: The Biggest Loser"
Ack! I violated my own personal rule and visited the message board before writing a summary. Now I am destined to ripoff some of your thoughts. I will attribute them accordingly.

Err... sorry? I don't think it's much of a problem, though. As we found out during OJ, you and I sometimes think along vaugely similar lines. (This makes me feel very worried about you, but there's nothing I can do about it.)

One other thought I had - the production style seemed reminiscient of the FLOM shows, especially with the way they cut before commercials and repeated the previous few seconds at the resumption, constant previews, etc. I know many shows do this, but it seemed like FLOM.

That needs its own name. How about 'Idiot Edit'?

I was half expecting some secret twist where one is offered money to sabotage the others.

An offline correspondent asked me if any of the contestants had been caught trying to stuff food down the others' throats while they slept...

10-20-04, 12:59 PM (EST)
18. "RE: The Biggest Loser"
I lvoe "Idiot Edit! I always tell my friends that it is The A.D.D. edit!

blacknwhitedog 6528 desperate attention whore postings

10-20-04, 10:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail blacknwhitedog Click to send private message to blacknwhitedog Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: The Biggest Loser"
I kinda liked it except that Caroline Rhea annoys the heck out of me. The two trainers have different approaches. Jillian (the red team) has them on a low-carb "eat less" diet. She believes in pushing them very hard in their workouts. She has more of a drill-sargent style.
Bob (the blue team) is more laid back. He doesn't want them to get discouraged. He has them on a portion control "eat more" diet.
The red team lost more weight this week even though they lost the challenge and got a 5 pound penalty. The blue team had to vote someone off and they sent 21-yr old Dana home because she has the least amount of weight to lose. Instead of extinguishing the torch of the bootee, their refigerator light is turned off- kind of cheesy!

Here's the recap from the NBC website http://www.nbc.com/nbc/The_Biggest_Loser/recaps/

a Phoenix Mons creature

10-20-04, 12:21 PM (EST)
16. "RE: The Biggest Loser"
Just read the NBC summary: morbid curiosity took over. It's textbook. Unfortunately, the course is entitled 'How To Give Out Most Of The Needed Information While Boring Everyone To Sleep'. Gah.

frodo2 289 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

10-20-04, 03:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frodo2 Click to send private message to frodo2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: The Biggest Loser"
I loved it. This show is fun.

arkiegrl 9421 desperate attention whore postings

10-20-04, 06:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail arkiegrl Click to send private message to arkiegrl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: The Biggest Loser"
I don't think I'm going to watch this one. Just hits a little too close to home.

yeah, it's a Goth

10-20-04, 07:08 PM (EST)
24. "RE: The Biggest Loser"
Arkie, did you watch episode 1? IMHO, the contestants were treated respectfully, and we got a sense of their humanity.

Course, it was pretty late when I watched it and I was tired from watching the baseball game, so maybe I'm wrong there!

Smooth23 1244 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

10-20-04, 07:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Smooth23 Click to send private message to Smooth23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: The Biggest Loser"
I loaded up on cookies and milk while watching. Am I a bad person?

10-20-04, 07:36 PM (EST)
26. "RE: The Biggest Loser"
I was snacking on 2-year old Life Savers and getting ready to gulp down a root beer float diet A&W, no sugar added vanilla ice cream). I felt REALLY guilty because I still need to lose about 15 lbs to get down to MY goal weight.

The fellowship of the banana shall unite us! Well....most of us.

10-20-04, 07:42 PM (EST)
27. "RE: The Biggest Loser"
I had popcorn while watching and I must say...while they were being weighed...I felt guilty!

I thought the show was done very well and it obvious that most of them truly want to lose weight. I think the one lady that wigged out saying she didn't know what to eat and that she had eaten 500 calories and was afraid that was too much...really wants to lose weight!

arkiegrl 9421 desperate attention whore postings

10-20-04, 07:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail arkiegrl Click to send private message to arkiegrl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: The Biggest Loser"
No, actually I didn't. Because I assumed that it would just be bad all way around. So, I should give it a chance?

yeah, it's a Goth

10-20-04, 08:03 PM (EST)
29. "RE: The Biggest Loser"
You can't help but empathize with the contestants and want them to succeed. Naturally, there are some you cheer for more than others, but overall, there's a positive attitude.

Of course, when I summarize the show, I will try to leave my empathy at the door to my den, far away from my wireless keyboard. They ARE reality TV show contestants, and therefore must be bashed!

I say give it a "look-see"!

frodo2 289 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

10-21-04, 10:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail frodo2 Click to send private message to frodo2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: The Biggest Loser"
Not these. They're more realistic than the people on the other shows. you look at survivor and you're getting a bunch of hotties with somewhat odd character traits. with TBL, the people could be your friend or next door neighbor. It's closer reality.

10-21-04, 04:18 PM (EST)
31. "RE: The Biggest Loser"
Not only that, after watching the first episode, I actually feel for these peeps and I want them to lose weight! I am rooting for them...all of them! That never happens with your other regular shows.

These peeps are not DAWS!

pmspml5 3192 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

10-22-04, 05:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail pmspml5 Click to send private message to pmspml5 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "RE: The Biggest Loser"
I agree VS - I did catch an episode of "Cold Turkey" (hey I was on pain meds ok) The one thing I liked about it is that they do challenges to earn the money. Everyone that does quit splits the prize. I kinda like that. I felt for the very big guy that ate 4 pieces of bacon - his team was all over him. If he can stop at 4 pieces I say eat away it is more likely to keep him on the diet the rest of the time - the key is stopping at 4.

MollyTV 480 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

10-22-04, 03:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MollyTV Click to send private message to MollyTV Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: The Biggest Loser"
i am waiting for the celebrity version coming in nov...with ralphie may..
looks good.
mollytv

newsomewayne 9065 desperate attention whore postings

10-22-04, 04:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail newsomewayne Click to send private message to newsomewayne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: The Biggest Loser"
Can Caroline Rhea be a host and a contestant?

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •