The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"How do they stay motivated?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Biggest Loser Forum (Protected)
Original message

ZnittyK 93 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

11-24-07, 01:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ZnittyK Click to send private message to ZnittyK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"How do they stay motivated?"
I have been wondering this like forever and a day. Does anyone know how they stay motivated? They are pushed at the ranch, then they go home and continue until they look shockingly great. These people claim they were lazy, depressed or they just didn't like who they saw in the mirror. Once they come home from getting eliminated or the final 3/4 will come home to finish their weight loss by themselves. They could easily

How do they stay motivated where as dozens of people all over can't stay motivated.

I do think that having the Finale and the accountability to the world motivating plus the money. But hey could just go home and get lazy again. Some of the people there weren't even happy with what they saw in the mirror in the latest episode. I was just wondering what you guys think.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: How do they stay motivated? Snidget 11-24-07 1
 RE: How do they stay motivated? trigirl 11-24-07 2
   RE: How do they stay motivated? YankeeDixieDoodle 11-26-07 4
 RE: How do they stay motivated? aquariaqueen 11-24-07 3
   RE: How do they stay motivated? ZnittyK 12-09-07 5
       RE: How do they stay motivated? YankeeDixieDoodle 12-10-07 6
       RE: How do they stay motivated? YankeeDixieDoodle 12-10-07 7

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-24-07, 09:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: How do they stay motivated?"
I think the combination of having success at the ranch as well as the knowing they will be followed up with can provide the motivation that you may not have been able to do if you just stayed home the whole time.

A lot of the lack of motivation is from having tried and not seen enough results. Once you know there is something that will work that is much more motivating than I've been on 10 diets in the last 3 years and never lost any weight so I'm not really expecting diet number 11 to do any good.

I think the getting kicked off and needing to prove you can do it can provide some motivation they wouldn't have had at home as well as the knowing they will follow up on you for the finale.

How many will be able to keep this up 5 to 10 years out is something I don't know if we know. I'm sure some people do eventually just go back to the way they were, but I think the shock of actually having something really work in a big noticeable way helps. After all that is why there are Diet Centers that have clients come and live at the center so they can have the experience that something really can work. While a fair number of those end up relapsing I think for some people they need to know it can happen and see actual results before they can believe it will work enough to really keep it up.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

trigirl 2844 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

11-24-07, 11:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail trigirl Click to send private message to trigirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: How do they stay motivated?"
I think there is motivation behind the scenes that we don't see. Quite often you see personal trainers or video of the contestants in a gym in their "where are they now" videos. I wonder if they are given some $$ to continue their training at home. It is the best interest of the contestants and the producers if they look good in their "where are they now" video. Have we ever seen someone who has returned to their slovenly ways? C'mon, there has to have been some failures....that is just normal human behaviour.

bouncey by Ice
maybe i'm a cynic

YankeeDixieDoodle 442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

11-26-07, 04:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail YankeeDixieDoodle Click to send private message to YankeeDixieDoodle Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: How do they stay motivated?"
Yepper, there's a lot behind-the-scenes motivation that we don't see. Which could account for some seemingly "miraculous" attitude changes from one episode to the next. Still being in the game, after 14 eliminations, is probably pretty motivating, too.
But, this motivation is external. And, it's only temporary. As is the 100K "awarded" to the "eliminee" who loses the most weight by the finale .
But, once the finale is over, so is the external motivation. To continue losing weight and keep it off, will require internal motivation. Which some past contestants have apparently lacked? Many of them didn't attend the pre-season weigh-in, hosted by Ms Sweeney.
Suggesting that many of them reverted to their old "pigging out" and "sitting around" ways?

aquariaqueen 2616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

11-24-07, 09:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail aquariaqueen Click to send private message to aquariaqueen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: How do they stay motivated?"
And they are competing for 100K!!

ZnittyK 93 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

12-09-07, 08:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ZnittyK Click to send private message to ZnittyK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: How do they stay motivated?"
You guys brought up some fabulous points. Its just amazing to see their bodies transform like that. You are right when you said that many people try diet after diet and seeing results motivates them. When they don't get the results they are looking for (also quickness) they say what is the use. The Biggest Loser is fast weight loss.

Do you really think that is why so little of them showed up for the pre-season weigh in? I do know for a fact that Matt gained a lot of weight back. Well I dont know if he lost it but they were on a lot of talk shows and he was just getting bigger and bigger. Suzy was pregnant so she could kind of slide. Eric gained some of the weight back too.
I guess the one thing they weren't taught is to lose weight for all of the right reasons. Internally. It does become quite interesting when there is money involved.

12-10-07, 12:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail YankeeDixieDoodle Click to send private message to YankeeDixieDoodle Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: How do they stay motivated?"
I wonder if the few who showed up for the pre-season weigh-in were there by special invitation. To make the Biggest Loser method look more successful than it really is. Surely, the producers keep tabs on past contestants. To know who not to invite for a televised follow-up weigh-in.

12-10-07, 12:40 PM (EST)
7. "RE: How do they stay motivated?"
LAST EDITED ON 12-10-07 AT 12:41 PM (EST)

$250K, and $100K does provide TBL contestants a pretty strong motivation to work hard at fast, short term weight loss. I wonder how many of the grand, and consolation, prize-winners have gained some of their weight back. Especially since forfeiture of the money isn't a consequence.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •