The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Week 9 - Nov 6th - The Show Is Now An Infomercial"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Biggest Loser Forum (Protected)
Original message

FireAlarm 0 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "New Member"

11-07-07, 02:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FireAlarm Click to send private message to FireAlarm Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Week 9 - Nov 6th - The Show Is Now An Infomercial"
Last night the show jumped the shark.

I will no longer be watching, the show has become one long infomercial. Always pitching products, always with the awkward product placement.

Last night the whole "Ford Hybrid SUV" shtick got quite tiresome. The blatant posing and placing of products is completely unreal, many scenes now open with a closeup on a product like bottled water, then they pull back to a wide shot of the group.

Last night a scene opened with a tight, close up shot of a soda from Subway, then it pulled out to show 2 people carefully staged eating a meal from Subway, it was utterly laughable!

After the the shameful "Ford Hybrid SUV" segment, following close on its heels was a Ford SUV commercial with vehicles THE EXACT SAME COLOR!!! Sheesh!

The product placement is relentless, it's mind numbing. It reminds me of The Truman Show.

This show has begun to look more like The Home Shopping Channel or QVC, it's so loaded with weird, uncomfortable scenes of the contestants shilling out for products.

Every scene is now constructed around a commercial product, the location, the challenge, the reward, are all part of a tacky scheme to pitch products.

The show has lost all credibility in their effort to milk additional revenue out of every on screen moment.

Have you guys noticed this? What do you think?

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Week 9 - Nov 6th - The Show Is ... Cyndimaus 11-07-07 1
   RE: Week 9 - Nov 6th - The Show Is ... jbug 11-07-07 2
       RE: Week 9 - Nov 6th - The Show Is ... aquariaqueen 11-07-07 3
           RE: Week 9 - Nov 6th - The Show Is ... Cyndimaus 11-08-07 4
 RE: Week 9 - Nov 6th - The Show Is ... YankeeDixieDoodle 11-08-07 5
 RE: Week 9 - Nov 6th - The Show Is ... YankeeDixieDoodle 11-08-07 6
   RE: Week 9 - Nov 6th - The Show Is ... YankeeDixieDoodle 11-09-07 9
 RE: Week 9 - Nov 6th - The Show Is ... Reality TV Junkie 11-08-07 7
   RE: Week 9 - Nov 6th - The Show Is ... YankeeDixieDoodle 11-09-07 8
       RE: Week 9 - Nov 6th - The Show Is ... hughsmom 11-11-07 10
           RE: Week 9 - Nov 6th - The Show Is ... JoeGazillionaire 11-11-07 11
               RE: Week 9 - Nov 6th - The Show Is ... Breezy 11-12-07 12
                   RE: Week 9 - Nov 6th - The Show Is ... Cyndimaus 11-13-07 14
       RE: Week 9 - Nov 6th - The Show Is ... Reality TV Junkie 11-12-07 13
           RE: Week 9 - Nov 6th - The Show Is ... YankeeDixieDoodle 11-13-07 15

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Cyndimaus 3117 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

11-07-07, 03:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cyndimaus Click to send private message to Cyndimaus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Week 9 - Nov 6th - The Show Is Now An Infomercial"
Yeah, they do it, but so does every other reality show. Pringles for reward on Survior, Travelocity trips on Amazing Race, etc.

You just deal with it and enjoy all the other parts of the show. At least most of the product placements in Biggest Loser have some sort of merit. (used as tips for lower calorie alternatives, etc. People deal with stuff like that in real life so it makes sense to show them a way to still eat out and keep to their diet. And the show makes money in the process.)

Surfkitten sig shop

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-07-07, 07:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Week 9 - Nov 6th - The Show Is Now An Infomercial"
True - at least they aren't promoting m&m's or snickers bars.

aquariaqueen 2616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

11-07-07, 08:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail aquariaqueen Click to send private message to aquariaqueen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Week 9 - Nov 6th - The Show Is Now An Infomercial"
Or Lay's because you can't eat just one!!!

11-08-07, 11:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Cyndimaus Click to send private message to Cyndimaus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Week 9 - Nov 6th - The Show Is Now An Infomercial"
I know I can't.

Surfkitten sig shop

YankeeDixieDoodle 442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

11-08-07, 01:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail YankeeDixieDoodle Click to send private message to YankeeDixieDoodle Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Week 9 - Nov 6th - The Show Is Now An Infomercial"
Energy-saving SUV? Now, that's an oxymoron. When will GM follow Ford's hybrid escape with a hybrid Hummer? Makes about as much sense. SUV's are gas guzzlers. Even the hybrids. When they're running on gas, especially in the city, they can get less mileage than a regular car. 34 mpg? That's what they advertize. But, that isn't what they deliver.

11-08-07, 01:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail YankeeDixieDoodle Click to send private message to YankeeDixieDoodle Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Week 9 - Nov 6th - The Show Is Now An Infomercial"
LAST EDITED ON 11-09-07 AT 01:20 PM (EST)

TBL is the only "reality" show I watch. I also watched Starting Over until it was cancelled. But, I've noticed a lot of product placemment in both shows.
With SO, it was Nestle bottled water, Omaha Steaks and Glade products.
And, on TBL this season, they've really been pushing Subway. But, some of the meats on even the lower fat subs are so highly processed, that their nutritional value is questionable.
Home-prepared meals are healthier. And, the zip-lock steaming bags Kim suggested to Brian really speed up meal preparation. That's why an occasional product placement, if it's going to foster healthier eating, doesn't bother me.
But, I do think product placement can get out of hand. TBL should be a weight-loss show. Not a Ford, Subway or what-have-you infomercial. Advertising doesn't belong on the show. It belongs in the commercial breaks.
And, there are far too many of them. I'm so tired of the weigh-ins dragging endlessly on by the contant commercial interruptions.
Why is TBL still 90 minutes long, anyway? Especially with the whole second half "eaten" up by the weigh-in and elimination. It should be cut back to an hour. With fewer commecials. Especially with only nine contestants left.

11-09-07, 01:36 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Week 9 - Nov 6th - The Show Is Now An Infomercial"
Forgot to mention this yesterday. Not was there a lot of product placement of SO, especially all those close-ups of the Nestle bottled water the HG's were always drinking, all the competators' products they used were pixeled out.

Reality TV Junkie 16 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

11-08-07, 02:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Reality%20TV%20Junkie Click to send private message to Reality%20TV%20Junkie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Week 9 - Nov 6th - The Show Is Now An Infomercial"
LAST EDITED ON 11-08-07 AT 02:25 PM (EST)

I work for Ford and with the market being the way it is and my job being on the line I will take any type of promotions even if it is during my favorite shows. Also if I was on that show an had the chance to win a free vehicle it would make me work harder to succeed. Think about it. Yeah Ford is getting air time for vehicles on a TV show but look on the bright side the contestants that won those vehicles won the challenge and the vehicle. Kinda like two for one.

11-09-07, 01:27 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Week 9 - Nov 6th - The Show Is Now An Infomercial"
Those two Ford "hybrids" aren't free. Both "winners" will have to pay taxes on them. A few years ago, Oprah Winfrey "gave" new cars to people, most of whom were in dire financial straits. And, the IRS charged them $7000 in taxes. Which I doubt these people could afford to pay. If they had that "spare" $7000, they probably would've bought themselves a good used car. Or, two.

hughsmom 16 desperate attention whore postings

11-11-07, 10:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail hughsmom Click to send private message to hughsmom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Week 9 - Nov 6th - The Show Is Now An Infomercial"
Buuuuuut.....
Oh, I just have to jump in here.

Where do we suppose the prize money for the winners comes from? These companies are paying big time for the product endorsement, sure, but that prize money doesn't just come out of the air.

I'm recalling a previous season challenge where the teams (men against women) had to unlock refrigerators by finding matching keys to the locks, then shuttle loads of jello products all to one fridge. One of the BL workout DVDs features cooking segments using Jennie-O turkey products -- yeah, it seems a bit invasive, but these things don't get put together for free.

Seems to me that Season 2 was supposed to have one winner, but Jello was so impressed by the awesome results that Suzy, Seth, and Matt all were awarded prize money at the end.

I agree that the segments w/in the show are staged - totally staged, and I read one blog on Myspace that talked about how cheesy the BL contestants felt doing them. These people are professional actors, nor are the trainers, so heck yeah, they are cheesy.

I know that I make bad food choices, so I guess I don't have a problem having healthy choices shoved at me to remind me. The SUV thing - okay, a bit over the top. BUT Julie's story of giving up her vehicle so she could be a stay at home mom, was a good one...

JoeGazillionaire 341 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

11-11-07, 09:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JoeGazillionaire Click to send private message to JoeGazillionaire Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Week 9 - Nov 6th - The Show Is Now An Infomercial"
I just don't like it when they pose product placement as "neat tricks" to dieting like they did with chewing gum.....yeah, right. Also, Subway may be better than other fast food, but if you really want to be serious about getting lean....it's better to cut down on the carbs for a while...the weight just drops.

Breezy 18379 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-12-07, 08:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Week 9 - Nov 6th - The Show Is Now An Infomercial"
Cutting down on carbs is good, eliminating them is a gimmick diet. This show is about making healthier choices, Subway is one of them.

11-13-07, 11:04 AM (EST)
14. "RE: Week 9 - Nov 6th - The Show Is Now An Infomercial"
In reality, most people will be eating out at one time or another and so you have to know how to make healthy choices when you're in the restaurant. A lot of times that is where people will have a lot of trouble. They have complete control at home but they are clueless when eating out.

I don't have a problem with hearing about Subway or other places. In fact, in one of the seasons they took all the teams out to eat and taught them how to still eat healthy. (I also believe they had a whole week of only take-out food for meals)

Surfkitten sig shop

Reality TV Junkie 16 desperate attention whore postings

11-12-07, 11:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Reality%20TV%20Junkie Click to send private message to Reality%20TV%20Junkie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Week 9 - Nov 6th - The Show Is Now An Infomercial"
LAST EDITED ON 11-12-07 AT 11:15 PM (EST)

>Those two Ford "hybrids" aren't free.
>Both "winners" will have to
>pay taxes on them. A
>few years ago, Oprah Winfrey
>"gave" new cars to people,
>most of whom were in
>dire financial straits. And, the
>IRS charged them $7000 in
>taxes. Which I doubt these
>people could afford to pay.
>If they had that "spare"
>$7000, they probably would've bought
>themselves a good used car.
>Or, two.

Instead of paying for a used car they got a brand new one at a considerably lower cost than what they would have got it brand new. I am sure that they still appreciate it. I would have loved paying only $7000 for my car brand new versus the $27000 i did pay. Even when we raffle off vehicles for Breast Cancer, Juvenile Diabetes, or various other charities the people are told they have to pay taxes which they don't have a problem with since they are getting a brand new vehicle for a fraction of the cost.

11-13-07, 03:41 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Week 9 - Nov 6th - The Show Is Now An Infomercial"
Let me reiterate my point: Many of the people who "appealed" to Oprah Winfrey, probably didn't have $7000 for a used car. Or, to pay the taxes on a free car that's been "given" to them.
And, here's another point. Dr Phil, who could afford any new car he wanted, has always bought used ones. He says, once a new car is driven off the lot, it depreciates at least $2000.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •