The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Muscle gain vs. weigh loss"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Biggest Loser Forum (Protected)
Original message

eviljuan905 3 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

10-27-04, 11:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail eviljuan905 Click to send private message to eviljuan905 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Muscle gain vs. weigh loss"
I'm a bit disappointed that the show did not make a point to tell the viewers possible reasons for the dramatic drop in weight loss. I think this is a diservice as I'm sure a lot of people are using this show as an inspiration for their own weight loss.

In the first week, most of the weight lost was water due to the shock to the body. This was explained briefly by the trainers.

Also, these people are likely gaining lean muscle mass (not bulky body builder muscles) at the same time that they are burning fat from reduced calorie diets. Every fitness pro will tell you that muscle weighs much more than fat. A person who loses 5lbs of fat and gains 3lbs of muscle mass is better off that someone who JUST lost the fat - the extra muscle mass will increase the rate of metabolism and burn extra calories while idle, sleeping, etc.

My explanation is not perfect but the underlying fact is that you cannot judge your weight-loss success by a scale alone. In fact, it's probably the worst thing you can do, because you have no idea what you actually lost - fat, muscle, water etc. Of course, the show being called "The Biggest Loser" certainly poses a problem.

Why not measure inches? All of the contestant were shocked at the weigh-in because they thought everyone looked much thinner, but had lost very little weight, or even gained weight, by the scale. They were all standing there with their mouths gaping open and I wanted to scream at the TV "don't worry about what the scale says!!"

Of course, the scale is king on this show. I hope they change the weigh-in to incorporate other criteria, such as inches lost.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Muscle gain vs. weigh loss qwertypie 10-27-04 1
 RE: Muscle gain vs. weigh loss What 10-27-04 2
   RE: Muscle gain vs. weigh loss eviljuan905 10-27-04 3
       RE: Muscle gain vs. weigh loss 63_Stingray 10-30-04 7
   RE: Muscle gain vs. weigh loss 63_Stingray 10-30-04 6
       RE: Muscle gain vs. weigh loss volsfan 10-30-04 9
           RE: Muscle gain vs. weigh loss 63_Stingray 10-30-04 10
               RE: Muscle gain vs. weigh loss volsfan 10-30-04 11
 RE: Muscle gain vs. weigh loss whoami 10-27-04 4
 RE: Muscle gain vs. weigh loss 63_Stingray 10-30-04 5
 RE: Muscle gain vs. weigh loss volsfan 10-30-04 8
   RE: Muscle gain vs. weigh loss EMTBGRL 11-30-06 14
 RE: Muscle gain vs. weigh loss gethealthy 11-10-06 12
   RE: Muscle gain vs. weigh loss dreamvsreality 11-30-06 13

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

qwertypie 9721 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-27-04, 11:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Muscle gain vs. weigh loss"
My thoughts exactly.

Welcome to the boards!

Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

What 209 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

10-27-04, 02:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail What Click to send private message to What Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Muscle gain vs. weigh loss"
Very good and extremely important point.

They really need to incorporate measurements into the overall calculation of weight loss in order to be fair.

When lean muscle mass replaces fat, your overall weight may go up, but your inches reduce because there is less fat.

If they neglect to remind/tell the participants, they are just going to feel like failures, go home, give up and start binging. They really don't care about these people or the message they are sending out.

I am concerned that these workouts are going to cause someone to have a heart attack or stroke.

eviljuan905 3 desperate attention whore postings

10-27-04, 02:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail eviljuan905 Click to send private message to eviljuan905 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Muscle gain vs. weigh loss"
Telling the viewers that their low weight-loss this week was actually NORMAL and positive wouldn't be as good for ratings and drama as letting people believe it was due to lack of effort.

What a sad fact for everyone out there that want to lose weight alongside these people but don't know much about how the body works.

I also don't like how the elimination set consists of freezers full of fatty foods, one for each contestant. Bringing in their vote on a food tray? How humiliating it must feel for these people. Overeating is NOT the only reason people are overweight. In fact, it has much more to do with a sedentary lifestyle than food or calorie counts.

The more I consider it, the more I feel this show is promoting a bad messasge. I will continue to watch though, because I find shows of this nature very inspiring. There is a series here in Canada on Life Network called Taking it Off, which follows 6 people over several months on a weight-loss journey. Each week they have a weigh-in, but they are also constantly being measured, and the show is full of usefull biology information and nutrition facts.

Too bad Biggest Loser can't incorporate more of that.

63_Stingray 483 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

10-30-04, 04:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail 63_Stingray Click to send private message to 63_Stingray Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Muscle gain vs. weigh loss"
The whole premise of the show is shaky in that it pits men weighing more than 300 pounds against women half their size in a contest to see who can lose the most weight. Obviously, a man weighing 423 pounds has more fat to lose than a women weighing 167 pounds? Where is the fairness in that challenge?

10-30-04, 04:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail 63_Stingray Click to send private message to 63_Stingray Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Muscle gain vs. weigh loss"
Most any health professional or trainer will say that it's not healthy to lose more than two pounds per week. The fact that this program is taking morbidly obese people and putting them through intense workouts is troubling. I wonder whether a doctor has signed off on the physical ability of some of these participants to complete such strenuous workout routines?

volsfan 19846 desperate attention whore postings

10-30-04, 05:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail volsfan Click to send private message to volsfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Muscle gain vs. weigh loss"
LAST EDITED ON 10-30-04 AT 09:01 PM (EST)

WELCOME Stingray!

I hope you enjoy this show...however, why don't you come over and checkout our "Off Topic" forum? We have loads of fun over there!

Director of Public Relations for GAWKUR!

10-30-04, 06:28 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Muscle gain vs. weigh loss"
Thanks. I'll check it out. I like your graphics. Is this something you made yourself? What does GAWKUR mean and is that a fish riding a bike?

10-30-04, 09:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail volsfan Click to send private message to volsfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Muscle gain vs. weigh loss"
I like my sig pic too! I love my VOLS too! We won today...WOO and HOO!

Hope to see you on some other forums soon!

whoami 2936 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

10-27-04, 09:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail whoami Click to send private message to whoami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Muscle gain vs. weigh loss"
The water weight is about 10 - 20 lbs. this is normal and may have been lost in the first day or two. Once the muscle gain gets to a certain point the weight loss will start again, and it may be close to what they lost the first week.

WHOAMI
You know, I spent a fortune on deodorant before I realized that people didn't like me anyway.

10-30-04, 04:11 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Muscle gain vs. weigh loss"
You're absoloutely correct! It's just that there's not as much drama connected to somone losing 2 inches from their waist as opposed to losing 15 pounds. Unfortunately, too many people focus solely on losing pounds (pounds of what?) when they should be concerned with building lean muscle, adding endurance and controling what kind/how much food they consume.

10-30-04, 05:34 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Muscle gain vs. weigh loss"
I think you have the concept down pat. Muscle does weigh more than fat. However, there is no way anyone can make me believe that a 423 pound man changes his eating habits as much as the biggest guy there did...and not lose weight the second week. The exercises these people are doing right now should not be building muscle more than getting them into an aerobic habit.

If this were a little later in the competition and the weight lose had started platueing (if that is a word), I might buy into the muscle building and they might not lose as much weight. However, in week two I don't think so.

EMTBGRL 2513 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

11-30-06, 06:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail EMTBGRL Click to send private message to EMTBGRL Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Muscle gain vs. weigh loss"
>I think you have the concept
>down pat. Muscle does weigh
>more than fat.

Hi volsfan! *waves*

I am replying to this post simply because of the number of times "muscle weighs more than fat" has come up in this thread.

It's a common error. In fact, that is the single biggest misinformation out there on weight loss. Muscle is more dense than fat, and muscle has better properties than fat, (as pointed out upthread) but muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. Why? because A pound is a pound is a pound, and it doesn't matter a pound of WHAT. There is just more of fat than there is of muscle when you put it on a scale.

For example, "What weighs more, a pound of feathers, or a pound of lead?" The answer? They both weigh a pound, but you have more feathers than you do lead.

The contestants look smaller because the fat cells shrink and the muscles are more defined because they are worked, and we can now see them. The single biggest reason we cannot see defined muscles is diet. Fat cells never disappear. They just shrink.

The contestants on The Biggest Loser are losing weight because they are burning more calories than they are ingesting. That's the only way someone can lose weight. People with metabolic problems, genetic disorders, or are taking certain prescription medications have a harder time losing weight. It's not impossible, but it's harder. They live on a ranch where they both watch their diet, and work out with a personal trainer. They live in abnormal conditions set up to help them lose weight. Granted, the at home contestants also lost weight, but I am guessing they made a similar committment on their own to the contestants on the ranch.

Also, the "water weight" thing..true in the beginning, and, unfortunately, why a lot of people who want to lose weight avoid water. However, this is the opposite of what they should do to lose weight! If someone wants to lose weight? They need to drink a lot of water. (There's a lot of reasons for this.)

I am a NESTA certified personal trainer. (I agree that most trainers would recommend not losing more than 1-2 lbs. a week, both for health and the ability to maintain the loss longterm.)

I hope that helps! (I also think the amounts of weight loss per contestant should be explained by the trainers as part of the show. But, it's reality TV. They want ratings..)

gethealthy 1 desperate attention whore postings

11-10-06, 07:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail gethealthy Click to send private message to gethealthy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Muscle gain vs. weigh loss"
i totally totally agree. i am from new zealand and i love watching the biggest loser. my passion is weight loss and health.the last biggest loser episode that screened in nz was when matt and suzy won.australia is the closest country to us that has its own version of biggest loser. i want the biggest loser to come to nz - do you have any idea as to how i can go about doing this? your comments made sense and are intelligent and are fact which is why i am replying to you. or do you know who i can contact to do this? there would be copyright protection wouldn't there?
if you can help i would appreciate it. loved your comments.
thanks
melissa

dreamvsreality 23 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

11-30-06, 01:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dreamvsreality Click to send private message to dreamvsreality Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Muscle gain vs. weigh loss"
yeah i totally agree with all your comments!

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •