The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"terribly disappointed"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Biggest Loser Forum (Protected)
Original message

adam1020 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

09-20-06, 11:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail adam1020 Click to send private message to adam1020 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"terribly disappointed"
What an absolute disaster. If anyone saw the opening of The Biggest Loser, you probably felt as I did - angry.
How dare this show USE people that are already in a sensitive state. If you missed the show, let me explain how awful this show treated these individuals.

They all told their families and friends that they were selected to appear on the Biggest Loser 3. You can imagine the parties, the excitement, the pride families and friends had and felt. Many of them travelled thousands of kilometers and psyched themselves up to begin what was to be, most probably, the "biggest" moment of their lives. And then here's what happened.

The minute they had arrived, only 14 of the 50 were selected. The other 36 were told to go back home at once. I thought it was a joke at first, but no, the show was quite serious. Many were in tears and crying. Their self-esteem was already badly damaged from years of being over-weight in a hyper-sensitive body-critical society, and now they had to endure not being selected by attractive, in shape, fitness experts, as if it were some bad high school dance all over again.

THEN, to add fuel to the fire, they were told they would be given a DVD and book to help them lose weight. I'm not overweight myself, but my mother is, and I know that she is not unique in that she has tried every diet and read every book out there; another new book and DVD will hardly make the difference.

Can you imagine the embarassment and shame these people must feel, when they have to call all their family and friends to tell them that they were rejected on the first day. Absolutely ridiculous and shameful.

I no longer will watch such a show that displays such carelessness and disregard toward others and I encourage everyone else to turn the channel and watch something else; or better yet, get out and go for a walk!

Just awful that people are treated in such an objectified and dismissive manner!

Adam

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: terribly disappointed MizJazmine 09-21-06 1
 RE: terribly disappointed loriew 09-21-06 2
 RE: terribly disappointed jackandjill 09-22-06 3
 RE: terribly disappointed petmama 09-22-06 4
 RE: terribly disappointed silentJ 09-24-06 5
   RE: terribly disappointed petmama 09-27-06 6
 RE: terribly disappointed SurvivorBlows 09-27-06 7
   RE: terribly disappointed petmama 09-27-06 8
 They're doing great! Breezy 09-28-06 9
 RE: terribly disappointed skeetergirl87 09-28-06 10
   RE: terribly disappointed keanuskiss 09-28-06 11
       RE: terribly disappointed petmama 10-02-06 12
           RE: terribly disappointed pantsonfire 10-03-06 13
               RE: terribly disappointed YankeeDixieDoodle 10-05-06 14

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

MizJazmine 532 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

09-21-06, 02:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail MizJazmine Click to send private message to MizJazmine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: terribly disappointed"
I understand what you're saying, but I have mixed feelings. When they were picking the two teams, I was sitting there thinking this is like a bad dream. What are they basing their selections on? What made one person more worthy than the other? My heart sank for the ones that weren't chosen, because I thought about the issues of self esteem & rejection also. BUT I also did see it coming that they weren't gonna be left out so to speak. In essence they did enroll them in their program and are using them as a type of promo, but this may be the very thing that some of them need to motivate them to achieve their personal weight goal. As an overweight person it's not easy, but for me just watching the show for 1st time from the beginning has motivated me. While I was watching the show I got up and got on my treadmill and did weights (upper body), and I'm seriously thinking about taping the show since I'm a visual person. So I do think it's individual.

Everybody on the show tonight is still representing their state to my understanding, and the contest is not isolated to just those who were picked for the teams, so one of the people who weren't picked for the teams could actually win this thing. Also for me it's painful when someone gets the boot! But it's also cool to see that many of the booted participants continue on and achieve their weight loss goal. For me in the past they are the ones that have really inspired me. It's just that this time around, I'm more ready to participate! I'm liking the week to week thing and I'm pumped! At least right now anyways...ummmm talk to me in about a week and I'll let you know if the enthusiasm is still there! LOL

So I think it just depends on how you look at it. It's rough but is something better than nothing especially if you use that something? I think so, but I do understand what you're saying.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

loriew 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

09-21-06, 03:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail loriew Click to send private message to loriew Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: terribly disappointed"
I totally agree. I was so furious when they told them that they would be going home, I couldn't believe that they would mess with peoples emotions like that. You said it well Adam. I also didn't agree with the way they were selected. But, for the ones going home, didn't they say that they would hire each of them a personal trainer in their home town?

jackandjill 204 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

09-22-06, 03:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jackandjill Click to send private message to jackandjill Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: terribly disappointed"
I agree that the selection process wasn't very fair and slighly mean, but to get the opportunity to learn proper nutrition, work with a trainer, and possibly win some money are good motivators.

petmama 494 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

09-22-06, 04:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail petmama Click to send private message to petmama Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: terribly disappointed"
LAST EDITED ON 09-22-06 AT 04:36 PM (EST)

Surely, those 50 Biggest Loser hopefuls knew some of them would be eliminted in the first round. Two teams of 25 each? For a 13 week TV series? I don't think so. Anyway, the 36 sent home will receive help achieving their weight loss goals. And, one of them could ultimately win this season. Those voted off by their teamates have always continued losing weight at home. Including this season's first castoff. I find this elimination process most brutal, BTW. It, IMO, fosters backbiting among the teammates.

silentJ 336 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

09-24-06, 00:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail silentJ Click to send private message to silentJ Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: terribly disappointed"
Well this is there time to put up or shut up. If they are truly dedicated to losing weight like they say, they'll lose the weight to get back on. If they don't, they were in it for the wrong reason's anyway. You don't need to be on a TV show to lose weight.

The most appalling part of the selection process to me was that once again TV's bigotry towards "fly over country" has revealed itself. Both California and New York made the show. TV producers from California are the most bigoted group of people in the world.

09-27-06, 04:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail petmama Click to send private message to petmama Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: terribly disappointed"
And, among the biggest users of cocaine, or so I've heard. Could explain some of today's wacky programming. TBL's okay, but some of those other "reality shows" and "sit-coms" are really off-the-wall.

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-27-06, 04:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: terribly disappointed"
LAST EDITED ON 09-27-06 AT 04:31 PM (EST)

>If you missed the show, let me explain how awful this show
>treated these individuals.
>
>They all told their families and friends that they were selected
>to appear on the Biggest Loser 3. You can
>imagine the parties, the excitement, the pride families and friends
>had and felt. Many of them travelled
>thousands of kilometers and psyched themselves up to begin what
>was to be, most probably, the "biggest" moment of their
>lives. And then here's what happened.

I understand you're upset, but if you're going to "explain" things to others, it would help if you knew what you were talking about. Like all most other reality shows, The Biggest Loser requires its particpants to sign nondisclosure agreements and keep their participation in the show a secret, so it is extremely unlikely there were any big goodbye parties or extensive bragging to their friends and extended families. It's also not completely clear if the 50 contestants all thought they had been selected as Season 3 finalists or were merely being flown out to California to participate in the show's semi-finalist interview selection process.

>Just awful that people are treated in
>such an objectified and dismissive manner!

Yes, let's save the objectifying for after they lose weight and become attractive!

You do realize this is reality TV, right?

09-27-06, 05:04 PM (EST)
8. "RE: terribly disappointed"
Closely patterned after "Survivor" in some ways, I might add. With the refrigerators. Backbiting. And, attempts to form "alliances" against each other.

Breezy 18379 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-28-06, 08:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "They're doing great!"
Wow! All of the other states that they showed last night are doing fantastic with their weight loss.

Yay for them!!! *cheerleader leap*

skeetergirl87 136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

09-28-06, 09:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail skeetergirl87 Click to send private message to skeetergirl87 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: terribly disappointed"
I kind of felt the way you did, but after thinking about it more, I kind of like what the show has done. Yes, the people that didn't "make it" onto the show were disappointed, but I think that they have more motivation to prove that they can do it without the ranch. And from seeing the results last night, I think they're doing just great!!

Also, I think it's great for the audience, too. It's a lot easier for the contestants at the ranch to lose weight since they are in an isolated little bubble with people cooking for them and pushing them to exercise. It's a lot harder to do it at home all by yourself when it's so easy to fall back into the same bad habits. So, it's great to see that you don't need a personal chef and personal trainer to lose weight - all it takes is the right mind set and lots of determination and hard work!!

keanuskiss 10 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

09-28-06, 01:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail keanuskiss Click to send private message to keanuskiss Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: terribly disappointed"
I think it's a great opportunity to show that they were not just there to be on television. If they were really sincere about the weight loss part of it, it shouldn't matter where they are. They are still in the running for the prize money and have the help that they need, they are just not at the ranch. And people need to stop being so sensitive, we get our feelings hurt in life. The real world doesn't come with bumper guards,we take our licks and get back up on our feet. That's called LIFE.

10-02-06, 01:22 PM (EST)
12. "RE: terribly disappointed"
Right. When you're a contestant, you know there's only going to be one winner. Especially on s reality show. But, even if you lose, you can do it with a "winner" sttitude. AKA "get a licking keep on ticking>"

pantsonfire 78 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

10-03-06, 11:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail pantsonfire Click to send private message to pantsonfire Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: terribly disappointed"
I agree that they could have done the show in a better way, because many of the people had their hopes up. However, a lot of these reality shows do extreme things to make the show more interesting, so I'm not really surprised.

YankeeDixieDoodle 442 desperate attention whore postings

10-05-06, 06:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail YankeeDixieDoodle Click to send private message to YankeeDixieDoodle Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: terribly disappointed"
Such as extreme weight loss to keep us hooked?

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •