The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Sophomore Slump"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Desperate Housewives Forum (Protected)
Original message

bacon 2824 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

11-07-05, 10:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail bacon Click to send private message to bacon Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
"Sophomore Slump"
No show has blown all of it's goodwill from it's freshman season faster than Desperate Housewives. At first I just assumed that they were taking their time setting up interesting plots for down the road. However, I've quickly figured out that those plots were ill-conceived and painful to watch.

First comes Bree's storyline. She's easily the most interesting character on the show, yet she's stuck in a miserable storyline with that Pharmacist dude who is obviously creepy, if not bordering on pyscho. Why does a woman who's so interested in image allow herself to get caught up in such a bizarre relationship? And there didn't seem to be much mention about why George felt the need to get touchy-feely during Bree's son's swimming event a few weeks ago. Shouldn't that have been a sign that the dude was a whack job?

Secondly, Susan's obsession with Mike is starting to border on ridiculous as well. Her meltdown last night in the middle of the road, while wearing a wedding dress, was just pathetic in so many ways. Is her character so dense that she can't figure out what a creepy douchebag Mike actually is? How many secrets does that dude have? You're better off without him!

Thirdly, Gabrielle's lawyer storyline isn't making much sense, either. At this point they just need to hire a new freakin lawyer instead of putting up with this guy's weekly antics.

Lastly, Lynette's storylines about motherhood are beyond boring. I never found her character, or her character's situations, to be all that interesting. Her kids are bratty, her husband is half-a$sed at watching them, she's a mess because she has to work and make time for the kids. Wow, I'm on the edge of my seat! Can something else please happen to her that has nothing to do with her being a working mom?

Does anyone else think the same way I do about this second season? Tell me I'm not alone!

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Sophomore Slump frisky 11-07-05 1
   RE: Sophomore Slump CattyChat 11-08-05 2
 RE: Sophomore Slump Rhyn 11-12-05 3

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

frisky 11684 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-07-05, 04:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frisky Click to send private message to frisky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Sophomore Slump"
You are not alone. As I've said before, the clever wit of last season has been flushed down the toilet in favour of silly slapstick sh!t. It sucks.

They have GOT to get rid of the stupid, ploinky music they play. It makes some scenes almost embarrassing to watch and makes the silliness even sillier.

Last season this show was more cerebral. Now, it's just...stupid. I liked wondering what was going on with the Mary Alice/Zack thing. That's why I like the Betty character so much, because there is (or WAS, until last week) and air of mystery about her. But we don't get to enjoy that mystery, because it is so secondary to the dorky housewives antics that it's more of an afterthought.

You are also not alone in thinking Mike is dorky. He has no charisma or charm. I have no idea what he looks like when he smiles or laughs. The guy is a dud. He's supposed to be the neighbourhood hunk? Why aren't all the women hunting down Mr. Scavo now that Lynette is absentia most of the time? Rrrrowwrr.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

CattyChat 3379 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

11-08-05, 08:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail CattyChat Click to send private message to CattyChat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Sophomore Slump"
Good points by both. I think the first big mistake was revealing the Mary Alice truth too soon. Big mystery solved. Bringing in the new neighbors COULD have filled that huge gap, but they blew that, too, by revealing too much, too fast & in such a short scene.

I agree that Bree is the most interesting character & with Rex's death there could have been so much to do with her (and Marcia Cross's acting abilities). I liked in the beginning that she was a time bomb ready to explode by holding in her emotions -- now it's like nothing happened. I can't stand the fact that they have her in a weird relationship with gross George. It would have been better for her (and more in her CHARACTER) to continue to push him off to play the "grieving widow" and for George to then go even more psycho on her and maybe hold her hostage or try to kidnap her or something. Bree is too strong of character to be in this relationship & the writers BLEW IT BIG TIME with what they have done with her.

Secondly, what about the possible homosexuality storyline of Bree's son? That was interesting to see how it would play out AND NOTHING!! Instead Bree's son is sent back to boot camp (NOT BELIEVABLE that she would do that so soon after Rex's death & after her GUILT of the last time) and Bree's daughter is just MIA. What the heck is going on here?

I am one of the few who actually love Lynette & Tom's storyline. But again, I think the writers BLEW IT this season. There could be so many HILARIOUS situations with Tom attempting to take care of the kids & becoming a "desperate househubby" and joining the other ladies in the poker games & giving his advice into their lives. They also could have Edie make a play for him & see him trying to rebuff her advances.

Also, first season Lynette was dubbed a "shark" by a former coworker. I was looking forward to her dominating in her new job and being the alpha female. Instead, the writers have her come off as mostly pathetic.

Susan is my least favorite, because how pathetic can one person be? Always doing the wrong thing, while being portrayed as the "goody-goody" makes me want to vomit. I don't see a chemistry AT ALL with Mike. Both are duds, IMO. My favorite moments with Susan are when she is interacting with her nemesis Edie. There needs to be less focus on Susan and her oddness.

I love Gabrielle & think she is the FUNNIEST character on the show. I've said it before that this is now getting ridiculous that she is not in the least bit showing her pregnancy, yet she has ultrasound results. The writers need to either go with the pregnancy or end it. It is ridiculous. I think they need to keep Carlos in prison for a while, so Gaby can continue to fight off the lawyer & have to go to the prison. These are the best moments of this 2nd season -- the "group therapy" session in the prison; her being ogled & then vindicated by the prisoners with the nasty first lawyer. GREAT stuff.

Lastly, let's get into the new family & hope they can write in more mystery about them. Alfre is a great actress and so far it seems she is just a "token" right now. Let's get this going.

Last night, there was a little blurb about how the ratings are lower and lower this season (duh, because you guys dropped the ball) and Marcia Cross wants the writers to take some of her ideas. Well, IMHO, they might as well listen to Marcia, because whatever they're listing to now is NOT WORKING. I just don't understand what happened. This show went from witty, sarcastic & mysterious to just another nighttime soap. Do something quick, or I'm jumping this sinking ship.

Well, I guess I ranted long enough. I'm sure they could get some better writers for the show here on these boards . . .

Kind Creation of ARNutz

Rhyn 524 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

11-12-05, 01:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Rhyn Click to send private message to Rhyn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Sophomore Slump"
Spoken like a true man.

I think with the this episode, the show is finally getting back on track. Of course, Bree doesn't know George is a creep, Mike isn't a whack job, The Solis' lawyer is apparently the only one with the skill and ability to get Carlos out in the face of such overwhelming evidence, and Lynette's story is finally getting better.

(Remember, most women who watch this show seem to identify with Lynette. I railed on about her boring "Woe is me, the guilty working mom" story line, but now that it's starting to become something a little more, I feel like I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.)

So, it started out very, very, very weak, but I think it's getting far better. Not "first season better," but better nonetheless.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •