The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"MIB and Jacob-Breakdown of actions"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Lost Forum (Protected)
Original message

weltek 16933 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-26-10, 09:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"MIB and Jacob-Breakdown of actions"
I'm most intrigued by the comment MIB made about Jacob stealing his body. As briefly discussed a few times in the last episode thread, this could mean a reversal in assumptions we're being spoon fed about who has good intentions and who has evil intentions. While I hestitate to say there is purity in good vs. evil labels (as Frodis pointed out), I thought it might be interesting to look at each character's major actions from both perspectives: the action was done for "good" and the action was done for "evil."

I'll start:

Action: Jacob brings people to the island to see "progess."

Possibilities of why it's an action for good:
Jacob wants to see mankind given a chance to start from scratch and have purpose. See if they can change the trajectory of their life.

Jacob wants to see the island protected from evil escaping and needs to build a force to do so.

Others?

Possibilities of why it's an action for evil:
Jacob is a sick con man who wants to play with humanity and see how much someone from the island can influence a person's life off the island.

Jacob wants to stay on the island where he's the ultimate man in control. He wants to "win the game."

Action: MIB kills as "smokey"

Possibilities of why it's an action for good:
He knows the island is just a game for Jacob, so it doesn't matter. He wants to destroy the island and can only do that if Jacob is dead and there's nobody else to replace him. Thus, sacrifice everyone. Except the few that might be able to help him kill Jacob.

Possibilities of why it's an action for evil:
Killing people is evil. But I'm stuck here on "to what end" does he kill them. As I said above, is it to diminish the chances of Jacob gaining more recruits? Or is killing just a hobby? He seems quite focused in doing so and it's not random. He also just doesn't seem like a bloodthirsty lunatic.

Others?

Action: Jacob manipulates Hurley and Jack into breaking the compass and mirror in the lighthouse.

I'm still LOST as to why he did that.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: MIB and Jacob-Breakdown of acti... Tummy 03-26-10 1
   RE: MIB and Jacob-Breakdown of acti... michel 03-26-10 2
       RE: MIB and Jacob-Breakdown of acti... Tummy 03-29-10 6
 RE: MIB and Jacob-Breakdown of acti... CTgirl 03-27-10 3
 RE: MIB and Jacob-Breakdown of acti... michel 03-27-10 4
   RE: MIB and Jacob-Breakdown of acti... weltek 03-29-10 5
 RE: MIB and Jacob-Breakdown of acti... trigirl 04-03-10 7
   RE: MIB and Jacob-Breakdown of acti... michel 04-03-10 8
       RE: MIB and Jacob-Breakdown of acti... zombiebaby 04-03-10 9

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Tummy 3542 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

03-26-10, 10:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Tummy Click to send private message to Tummy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: MIB and Jacob-Breakdown of actions"
If Smokey were truly evil why wouldn't he just wipe everyone out as soon as they got to the island? They had no protection against it/him. Why did he/it pick and choose for so long?
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

michel 10812 desperate attention whore postings

03-26-10, 04:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: MIB and Jacob-Breakdown of actions"
Ask the pilot that question...Oh! wait...

Tummy 3542 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

03-29-10, 09:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Tummy Click to send private message to Tummy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: MIB and Jacob-Breakdown of actions"
?

CTgirl 7073 desperate attention whore postings

03-27-10, 11:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail CTgirl Click to send private message to CTgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: MIB and Jacob-Breakdown of actions"
I think we need to remember that Lindelof and Cuse have been saying for the past couple of seasons that there is good and evil in everyone and they are very interested in seeing the good vs. evil conflict play out in each character. Jacob appears to be "good," the white rock and MIB, "bad," but as you pointed out they each have traveled both sides of the question.

I expect a twist coming and a lot of inner turmoil for the remaining candidates as the war breaks out!

03-27-10, 12:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: MIB and Jacob-Breakdown of actions"
"Action: Jacob brings people to the island to see "progess."

I've been thinking about this because it's one of the main question regarding Jacob's role: Manipulating people to come to the island and become pawns in his game is the main argument against Jacob "being good". But what if we have it slightly wrong? What if he brings the island to them instead?
(How many islands do we know can move?!)

Remember the crash of Oceanic 815 and tell me how could anyone have survived that? Considering the size of the Tsunami that shipwrecked the Black Rock in the middle of a jungle, tell me how did Ricardo survive? The island came to their rescue and wouldn't let them die.

And, to answer more seriously the question of why doesn't Smokey kill everyone immediately, we know he has to follow the rules of the game. He cannot kill the candidates. But what is a candidate? The best definition I can come up with is someone that has been chosen by Jacob and is under his protection for whatever role or reason we have yet to be told outsides of "protecting the island".

Besides the candidates, who else has been brought to the island and seems to be under Jacob's protection? Rose and Bernard of course. Here is a woman that would have died if the island hadn't saved her. Her marriage was on very shaky grounds because of Bernard's obsession with finding a cure. Bringing the island to them cured the cancer, fixed their marital problems AND gave them their own personal paradise. Please explain how Jacob isn't good in Rose's eyes?

weltek 16933 desperate attention whore postings

03-29-10, 09:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: MIB and Jacob-Breakdown of actions"
I think viewers have made far more out of Rose and Bernard than they were ever meant to be. I certainly can't make the leap that Jacob is protecting Rose and Bernard. Some would argue the magnetism of the island sent her cancer into remission, and their own personal strength and outlooks fixed their marriage and made them happy. Free will.

Unless I missed something?

-A Tribetastic Creation

trigirl 2844 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

04-03-10, 03:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail trigirl Click to send private message to trigirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: MIB and Jacob-Breakdown of actions"
I'm most intrigued by the comment MIB made about Jacob stealing his body.

I agree. Plus, I am very intrigued with the fact that we did not see the MIB eat or drink anything. I think these are clues.

This is what I think....
they are one person. The good and bad battling it out within one being. Kind of Tyler Durden-ish for those Fight Club fans.

04-03-10, 07:57 PM (EST)
8. "RE: MIB and Jacob-Breakdown of actions"
"I agree. Plus, I am very intrigued with the fact that we did not see the MIB eat or drink anything."

Are you sure about that? I'd have to check again because I wasn't paying much attention to it but I seem to recall Locke taking water from his canteen after returning from Hydra Island.

zombiebaby 7355 desperate attention whore postings

04-03-10, 09:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zombiebaby Click to send private message to zombiebaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: MIB and Jacob-Breakdown of actions"
Correct. And? He ate a mango on Hydra island when he was standing in the water just after "resurrection".

You've been hotpocketed!

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •