The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Wife Swap: March 13, 2006"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Trading Spouses / Wife Swap Forum (Protected)
Original message

FOXmePUHLEEZ 172 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-13-06, 08:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FOXmePUHLEEZ Click to send private message to FOXmePUHLEEZ Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Wife Swap: March 13, 2006"
Am watching it now. Medieval switches w/rap. I'm beginning to become worried about the good ole USA. Any thoughts? But, you gotta admit, this episode is HILARIOUS!
  Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Wife Swap: March 13, 2006 tamaradeangelis 03-13-06 1
   I agree, they are freaky... PMT 03-13-06 2
       RE: I agree, they are freaky... nazpink 03-14-06 3
           RE: I agree, they are freaky... tech mom 03-14-06 4
       RE: I agree, they are freaky... FOXmePUHLEEZ 03-14-06 5
           RE: I agree, they are freaky... Jenoc99 03-14-06 6
 RE: Wife Swap: March 13, 2006 Cyndimaus 03-14-06 7
 RE: Wife Swap: March 13, 2006 kandjg 03-14-06 8
   RE: Wife Swap: March 13, 2006 TheMommy 03-15-06 9
       RE: Wife Swap: March 13, 2006 kandjg 03-15-06 10
           RE: Wife Swap: March 13, 2006 nazpink 03-15-06 11
               RE: Wife Swap: March 13, 2006 kandjg 03-15-06 12
                   RE: Wife Swap: March 13, 2006 Lisapooh 03-17-06 16
                       RE: Wife Swap: March 13, 2006 kandjg 03-21-06 20
                           RE: Wife Swap: March 13, 2006 Lisapooh 03-23-06 22
   RE: Wife Swap: March 13, 2006 FOXmePUHLEEZ 03-17-06 17
 RE: Wife Swap: March 13, 2006 pumpkinqueen 03-16-06 13
   RE: Wife Swap: March 13, 2006 kandjg 03-16-06 14
       RE: Wife Swap: March 13, 2006 nazpink 03-17-06 15
           RE: Wife Swap: March 13, 2006 Jenoc99 03-17-06 18
               RE: Wife Swap: March 13, 2006 kandjg 03-21-06 19
                   RE: Wife Swap: March 13, 2006 lgianna 03-23-06 21
 RE: Wife Swap: March 13, 2006 tomatohead 06-26-07 23

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

tamaradeangelis 3 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

03-13-06, 09:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tamaradeangelis Click to send private message to tamaradeangelis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Wife Swap: March 13, 2006"
I think the mid eves are FREAKS!!!! not everyone from ohio is that weird!!!!
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

PMT 12 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

03-13-06, 10:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PMT Click to send private message to PMT Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "I agree, they are freaky..."
...but I'm kinda TO'd at how they always show these wierd people doing homeschooling instead of the normal homeschoolers. Not all homeschooled kids are recluses from the outside world and do abnormal things.

I am homeschooled and I am SOOOO not like those people! I actually DO get out of the house and have plenty of friends.

Also, I didn't like what that one lady said, about how homeschooling is only 3 hours.
I have 3 to 4 hours of book studies, P.E. for an hour, an Ancient Literature class for homeschooling every friday (which is 2 hours long) and then do a report for that class. Then I have typing and Spanish lessons.

That's quite a bit of time spent in homeschooling. The '3 hours' was the time spent on book studies (like algebra, history, science, ect.) and then they probably had extracurricular activitys (P.E., language, art).

Plus, public schooled kids spend 8 to 9 hours in school,
but alot of that time is just lunch and getting to class.
I wish Wife Swap would put some positive light on homeschooling.

Sorry for that rant, I felt like defending homeschooling there.

Anyway, I thought it was hilarious when the kid was dressed up like a jester. I laughed my head off! Then they showed him and his dad playing football and the medevial lady coming out and seeing them. LOL!

PMT, a.k.a Silverchild, who is now 16! Yay!

No, I am not a newb...

nazpink 1058 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

03-14-06, 09:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail nazpink Click to send private message to nazpink Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: I agree, they are freaky..."
Last season of Wife Swap seemed to have a theme of the husbands playing "servants" to their wives, but this season the theme seems to be quite the opposite. Whatever happened to equal partnership in a marriage/relationship? Whatever happened to each family member being seen as someone who plays an important role and no one is more important than the other?

I am not one who likes to insult or tell people their way of life is wrong just because it differs from most, but the midevil family really had issues. There's nothing wrong with enjoying that time period and making it into a hobby, in fact I think the parents were using the hobby as a smokescreen for what the real problem was. At first I thought that ol'daddy was controling his family and the wife was enabling him but during the second half of the show I immediately changed my mind. I think that the major issue in this family is the mother. I think that the mother has emotional issues and has fears about things that aren't even there and imposes them on her family. I didn't realize until the new mom took the family to self-defense class that the children didn't feel safe outside the house. Yes, the kids didn't enjoy the first day of school because it was out of their element and they didn't feel safety, but after that class they really seemed to be enjoying school and actually made the comment that they would like to go back. I was glad that the father got to witness how much the familie's life style had an affect on the children when his daughter had difficulty using the phone and talking on it. These kids may have been intellectually up to standards (unless the mother was lying about them scoring well) but socially they were extremely behind. What were the kids supposed to do after highschool? Stay home with their parents and never go to college, get a job, friends and family? The whole bit about how the kids could have contact with other kids they met was nothing but contridictory and BS! How can they talk on a phone if they didn't have one or if the one they had was daddy's cell phone and they barely had access to it.

In the end the family really didn't change. The mom went home and once again had a tight grip of control on her family. The kids no longer are in school and they act as though they don't care and even though the daughter is allowed to have her friend I wonder how long it will last after all the daughter is immature and what normal teenage girl is going to have enough in common with this girl to maintain a friendship?

As for the family who is not confused as to which century they live in, they had their problems as well. I thought it was really hypocritical of the mother to go to the other family and talk about how the dad needed to spend more time with his family when her own family was spending hardly any time. Being under the same roof does not count as family time. I admire the mom's motivation and determination level and her desire to contribute financially to the family but I felt she also needed to make time for her children ( I would feel this way about the father as well). Other than that I really didn't see too much wrong with the family, it was all just a time management issue and family priority issue, but as least their kids can function. I was happy to see that the family did get one thing out of the experience and realized that they needed to do more things together.

It really irritated me how the midevil mother made the new family dress. She made them dress in far more tacky costumes than what her own family had to dress in. I realize they went to a costume shop for the outfits but if she wanted them to participate she should have given them better things to wear. I also thought her bad attitude and who she truly is came out when she was imposing her rules. Like I said this woman needs help.

I also agree with PMT about the image of homeschooling on this show being more negative than positive. Both homeschooling and public school have their positives and their negatives. Nothing is ever perfect. If a parent is homeschooling more because their own emotional issues than they are going to turn it into a negative experience. As far as the way those children acted at the public school, well yeah kids do have a tendency to misbehave for a substitute but that behavior isn't always typical, especially when the every day teacher is there.

tech mom 1 desperate attention whore postings

03-14-06, 11:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail tech%20mom Click to send private message to tech%20mom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: I agree, they are freaky..."
LAST EDITED ON 03-15-06 AT 09:54 AM (EST)

Hi,

I am flattered.

Ha, Ha.

03-14-06, 02:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FOXmePUHLEEZ Click to send private message to FOXmePUHLEEZ Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: I agree, they are freaky..."
And that public school class chuncked and rubberbanded the heck out of the fair medieval lady.

Jenoc99 102 desperate attention whore postings

03-14-06, 02:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Jenoc99 Click to send private message to Jenoc99 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: I agree, they are freaky..."
I can understand that the mom from Ohio likes to dress up and pretend she lives in medieval times, but, the costumes that she gave the new family to wear weren't "normal" medieval constumes they were humiliating costumes! If her point was to show them 'her world' she did a poor job of it. I think the dad was a good sport, though, he atleast tried to see where she was "coming from" but he just couldn't.. and neither could I!
I think the medieval mom and dad both have emotional issues and maybe even a mental illness. (the mom, that is) I think its healthy for kids to use their imaginations... but... they are getting older now and isn't it time to find out what the real world is about? have they ever been to a museum, etc.? I wonder..
As for the other mom, her kids deserve more family time for sure. They don't know what they don't have, because they don't have it. but the medieval mom went about it the wrong way and I don't think she really got anywhere.
these shows just crack me up, because the families they have on are so opposite! I was wondering, if the medieval family has no phone, t.v., etc.. then how did they even know wife swap exists? Is there a hidden t.v. somewhere? In dad's brief case, perhaps?/

Cyndimaus 3117 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

03-14-06, 04:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cyndimaus Click to send private message to Cyndimaus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Wife Swap: March 13, 2006"
I know that they puposely cast families who are more the extreme than usual, but I always find myself hoping that the "new" moms will take a more balanced approach in trying to influence their new family. I think it would be much more effective than trying to do a drastic 180 in one weeks time. I know they have things to teach each other and their ideas would be more well-recieved if they didn't overwhelm the family.

I was glad to see other posters defend homeschooling. It really is a shame that the how perpetuated the stereotype about it. These days there are so many programs set up for homeschoolers to take part in that are not only designed to futher their education but help meet the social needs they have. There's no reason at all for any homeschooling family to stay isolated.

It was sad to see the "medieval" family islolating themselves so much, especially since dad works in the real world and should know better than to not prepare his kids for life after they move out. (or else maybe they can go live in one of those "authentic" villages that are set up for tourists...)

It was equally as sad to see the mom from the other family basically isolating herself from her family due to her work schedule. I was so glad to see that she ended up seeing the value of spending more time with her family.

WCC Champs
Sigs by Cyg
Maus Blog

kandjg 9 desperate attention whore postings

03-14-06, 05:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kandjg Click to send private message to kandjg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Wife Swap: March 13, 2006"
Hey all!
I just HAVE to pipe in here. The Stampers (the midevil people) are my friends and neighbors. They are actually pretty normal people.

I have lived across the street from them for about 5 years. My son is best friends with their son Damon and Stephanie and I are good friends as well. I have NEVER seen them in their midevil garb until the show aired - what a hoot! I see these people almost every single day and they dress like normal people. The midevil stuff was for entertainment purposes only. I would think most people would realize by now that reality TV has very little in the way of reality.

Anyway, Stephanie and I both homeschool our children. She has tried all forms of education and finds that homeschooling fits her family the best. These kids aren't shut ins. We do tons of stuff. We are involved in several homeschooling groups that have regular teen activites. They travel quite a bit and yes they do the midevil reinactments - its a great educational tool. Her kids are well rounded and full of love and life. I was really upset at how they made the kids look. Damon decided a couple of years ago to let his hair grow out so he could donate it to people who make wigs for cancer patients. He is respectful and sweet. This child has never ever talked back to me or any adult while I was present. If I come home with groceries and he is outside or over at my house he is THE FIRST ONE to help carry the groceries in for me. Tara is a doll and an extrememly talented belly dancer. She and Stephanie have a wonderful relationship and they are close. Tara also has other girlfriends and she and my son are close too.

Well I have to go. Damon, Tara, my son and about 4 other kids are going out tonight to the movies. I have to get my son fed before they go. Sometimes their social schedule is so crazy that I WISH it were like WS portrayed - we could use the break.

K

TheMommy 29 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

03-15-06, 02:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TheMommy Click to send private message to TheMommy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Wife Swap: March 13, 2006"
LAST EDITED ON 03-15-06 AT 02:38 AM (EST)

I agree that "reality" tv is not always 100% reality.Bottom line the editors goal is entertainment. These aren't exactly docudramas.

and...........I do wish they would portray homeschooling differently.

I taught at a Christian school and when the school closed I decided to homeschool my child because I wanted to continue with the curriculum we were using. I also knew that I'd be able to control the quality of her education.

She is young so she misses "recess" with her friends but other than that it is fine. I am a real fan of homeschooling now. We spend about 3 hours of instruction, 1 hour of reading, and (1-2 hours per week)of educational video (Discovery channel, The Science channel, etc)Not to mention the everday learning experiences in: cooking (measurement), shopping ($), and the time she spends with me outside of the home she is learning life skills.

Then there is Sunday school, choir at church, choir at school and on and on.

When I first told friends and family I was going to homeschool, they looked at me like I was an alien from another world. I think homeschooling is misunderstood and is thought to be exercised by fanatics.

We're not fanatics...we're just fantastic...lol

03-15-06, 07:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kandjg Click to send private message to kandjg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Wife Swap: March 13, 2006"
Homeschooling is wonderful - I love it! We have been doing this for 6 years now and wouldn't have it any other way.

My oldest did public school through 5th grade and we are so much happier now. My 3 youngest will not attend public school at all.

Stephanie has done public, private and catholic school. She tried every route with Damon and Tara. Understand that these children are of far above average intelligence - as is my oldest - and were not being challenged at all in ps.

Did you guys notice in the show that the kids at the after school program that Lisa works at were not doing any work at all. They were goofing and acting like hellions. Did you also notice that all the shots they showed of Damon and Tara at "school" were not spent over books at all yet the shot of the kids homeschooling included instruction from mom, workbooks, gym (dancing) and arts and crafts? That is a fraction of what takes place in the home. Homeschooling for both of our families is a way of life. There are opportunities to learn around every corner. For the woman person who posted that she doesn't know if the kids have ever been to a museum... because we homeschool we have the ability to travel to various museums, galleries and cultural events that ps school families have to wait till summer break for. PS is not real life - we are in the world living real life everyday because we homeschool.

I told Steph that I was proud of the way she spoke up for homeschooling. Look past the weirdness that the producers decided would be interesting for TV - that is not the Stampers. That is all fake. When she said "Thats why I homeschool" that is the real mother. You would be hard pressed to find a better one.

K

03-15-06, 02:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nazpink Click to send private message to nazpink Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Wife Swap: March 13, 2006"
I admit that reality t.v. is very edited to make things appear to be something that it is not, but how can anyone say that this family does not live like mideval times if all four said they did and were dressed like it? Was that all editing too?

I don't think the issue is that the family homeschooled or enjoyed the mideval era, after all there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, the issue was with the fact that the children seemed to be very very isolated. The daughter didn't even know how to use the phone or talk on it and the father admited that watching her was a wake up call to how sheltered his kids are.

I don't think that the family was a bad or unloving family but it did come across that the mother seemed to want to keep her children close due to fear of the world. As a parent of two I can definately understand but children have to grow up sometime and be on their own so it's best not to shelter them.

03-15-06, 04:28 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Wife Swap: March 13, 2006"
Yes it was all editing. I am telling you that I have known them for 5 years and have NEVER seen them dressed in their midevil clothes. Damon is downstairs in my kitchen right now dressed in a black tshirt and jeans. It is all edited and scripted for tv.

Again, the children are not isolated at all. These teens are just like every other teen. It is very nerve wracking to have a camera in your face and be ordered to make a phone call to a friend you just met that day. She probably was nervous. TO tell you the truth Tara appeared nervous to me - someone who knows her well - throughout the show. This is a child who is used to having a lot of control over her world and all the sudden she is shoved in Tv land where producers and camera people are telling her what to wear and say. I really don't know in what context Greg actually said his kids were sheltered but let me tell you the man has a dry sense of humor and can come off really serious when he is joking. He probably said what Lisa wanted to hear to get her to shut up. Anyway, I know you probably won't get what I'm saying until it happens to you. You should apply for the show and see how they portray your family. I have read on here repeatedly that you all can't believe there are people like this and where do they find these people. Well they create them. Its interesting TV but not reality.

As for my dear friend Stephanie wanting to shelter her kids. If thats her main goal in life then why did she allow them on national TV to be picked apart by people who don't know them? She protects them as any normal parent would and she enjoys them like good any parent should but shelter... no. You cannot call homeschooling sheltering. We are in the real world all day while most peoples kids are in school living zero tolerance and being herded around like cattle all being taught and tempted the same way like they are all clones of each other. Thats not real life but then I guess I am talking to people who believe reality tv is actual reality so...

K

Lisapooh 12664 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-17-06, 11:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Lisapooh Click to send private message to Lisapooh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Wife Swap: March 13, 2006"
Then it's really unfortunate and disheartening that she forced the other family to go out into "public" in the medieval garb when she doesn't impose that on her own family. Why subject them to ridicule when it clearly didn't serve any purpose? Seems sorta spiteful.

I think it would have been great if she could have concentrated on ways to have to other family spend more time together as a unit, since that was something they seem to be lacking rather than on forcing them to bend to her medieval will.

The time and devotion she puts into her family is admirable - and there's nothing inherently wrong with homeschooling - whatever works for each individual family.

But her attitude and comments on the show (not what was edited - what she actually said as well as her manual posted on the show's site) seemed to indicate that she does it primarily to isolate her family from the real world because she finds it frightening.

And it's very upsetting the way the daughter is being taught to subjegate herself to men and the way the son is being taught to expect to be the king of his own castle. He's gonna have to give his girlfriends a lot of meade to get them to be as submissive as his mother is.

03-21-06, 09:03 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Wife Swap: March 13, 2006"
Lisapooh -
Perhaps it wasn't her idea for the family to go out in public like that. I'm not sure - I can ask her but really that doesn't sound like something she would do. I can assure you that Stephanie would not / could not have picked those costumes for the other family to wear. If Steph had picked them they would have been way more realistic. Stephanie is an educator. She would have picked that opportunity to teach the other family the whys and hows of what she was interested in. That was no more real that the rest of the show.

As far as Steph being afraid of the real world ... do you really think that school is the real world???? Seriously ... come on! Besides don't you watch the news? School is a scary place for adults and kids alike. These poor teachers should be forced to learn self defense to protect themselves in their jobs. Not all schools are bad. Not all schools in our district are bad. We actually live in a pretty good neighborhood. We just choose to let our kids have a more well-rounded, real world education.

As far as the kids being taught that men rule the castle. That is funny. Actually if you talk to Damon his beliefs are more along the line that women rule. Did you not read my post about Damon being quite the gentleman? Believe me, living across th street from them is where you want to live if you have groceries to unload! He is ALWAYS the first one to lend a helping hand. Tara is very very able to stand up for herself and communicate what she wants to happen. She gets it too. That girl is quite strong. The wife serving the husband doesn't mean that the wife is some little mute who never speaks her mind or has no thoughts or ideas of her own! I serve my husband and he serves me. I have no problem cooking, cleaning or taking care of the kids just as he has no problem going to work daily and opening jars that are too hard for me to get. Yes we have roles and we are quite happy with them. Serving your husband is not a sign of weakness its a sign of respect and it should be reciprocated. In my household, and in the Stamper household, it is.

Lisa as far as you seeing and deciding what was edited and what was not... I assure you that you have no idea which stuff was edited. Do you think you can tell just by watching the show? These are professionals that do this all the time. Sorry to burst your bubble but there is little reality in this reality tv show.

K

Lisapooh 12664 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-23-06, 03:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Lisapooh Click to send private message to Lisapooh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Wife Swap: March 13, 2006"
Of course, knowing (and socializing) with her personally would offer you a different understanding of her. It could mean that you see her more clearly or it could mean that your genuine affection for her makes you biased and unable to judge her dispassionately. I don't know you, so it would be impossible and inappropriate for me to decide which is right.

She seemed quite gleeful to take them out in public and laughed at their discomfort. They can't edit actions in that didn't occur. Of course they can mold and frame things to appear more exaggerated or pronounced, but they can't invent events and statements out of whole cloth and they can't force her to participate in any activity she doesn't want to do.

Did you read her manual on the show's website? Written by HER. Her writing on the manual shows a very real and pronounced fear of her children being exposed to the modern world. It speaks of wanting to isolate them in the past. Of course, these statements could be exaggerations on her part for any number of reasons. But those are HER exaggerations and not those of the producers.

I think school is absolutely an extension of the real world. As adults, people have to compete, interact, socialize and compromise with people from all different cultures and backgrounds. I think learning how to do that begins in school. Which is why I actively sought out a diverse preschool for my daughter and why we live in a diverse neighborhood now that she is older.

I think it's important (at least for my child) that she learns that she lives in a global society. School isn't a scary place in my world and it doesn't sound like it is in yours either. It's the attitude that the world is so scary that frustrates me so much. Of course you have to teach your children about the dangers they will face out in the world, but I certainly don't think you do a child any favors by instilling a fear of the unknown in them. That sounds quite stifling to me.

I don't fault you or anyone else for homeschooling their kids. It's a personal decision. And I think most approach it intelligently and with the goal of giving their children the education that they feel is most appropriate. I just don't think that everyone homeschooling is reaching that lofty goal.

But, I definitely sense much more hostility from people who choose to homeschool toward those callous parents out there like me that send their children out to the murderers row of elementary school than the other way around.

I'm a single parent - homeschooling isn't an option for me, but even if it was I wouldn't do it. Because I am not trained or equipped to be the best teacher for my child. I have been quite happy with the teachers that she has had - my child is bright, engaged and curious about the world. I credit her teachers as well as myself with who she has become. Most of the credit of course goes to my daughter though.

I'm not sure I agree that homeschooling automatically offers a more well-rounded, real-world education in every (or even in any) instance. It sounds like something people who homeschool tell themselves when they feel defensive. Test scores are not indicative of a real world education. They shouldn't be seen as the sole measure of achievement in either a classroom or home setting. But - I assure you that I'm certain my daughter will have been given all the tools she needs to succeed when she enters the "real world".
I can't speak to how chivalrous Damon is. I don't know him. I'm glad he helps you with your groceries. It's unfortunate though that that he repeatedly tried to dominate the conversation to the detriment of his sister and her expression. Perhaps he's just an asshat to her and not to other girls. Brothers have been known to be mean to sisters.

Clearly though, the Stampers homelife is centered on the men and their happiness. Whether that is to the detriment of the women is not as clear. I want my daughter to know that her happiness is not to be predicated on making anyone else happy - man, mom, teacher or friend. But I'm not willing to heap criticism on Damon because he is a child and a product of his upbringing (both good and bad)

It's great that you and your husband are so solitious of each other. In my home, I get to be the one cooking, cleaning, taking care of the kids as well as going to work everyday, opening up jars and everything else involved in keeping a household afloat. In addition to trying to instill values, self-esteem and compassion into my child. It's a huge job and deserving of respect. I respect your choices and your right to make them, even if I don't agree with them.

My bubble isn't burst at all - I'm well aware of how reality television works. I'm also well aware of the constant refrain from people who appear on these shows who when faced with criticism of their actions (criticisms that they set themselves up for by participating in the first place) claim deceptive editing.

I want to remind you as well that if you want to continue posting on the forum you have to refrain from making personal attacks against posters. I didn't attack you personally in this post or my previous post. The minute I whore myself out on a reality tv show, you can make as many disparaging remarks about me as you would like here because that is what we do on this site.

Of course, I would never go on reality television. First of all, I'm not nearly "out there" enough to be an attractive candidate. And, more importantly, I would never subject my child to the kind of ridicule that being on these shows entails. The Stampers, for whatever reason, chose to be on the show. I can't imagine why anyone would want to look so bad on national television, but to each his attention-whoring own I suppose.

03-17-06, 08:36 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Wife Swap: March 13, 2006"
I reiterate. They chuncked the H E C K out of her posterior in that classroom.

pumpkinqueen 220 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

03-16-06, 00:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail pumpkinqueen Click to send private message to pumpkinqueen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Wife Swap: March 13, 2006"
i don't think that either family was portrayed in a completely realistic light, just as i don't believe that public, private, or home schooling works for every child--BUT--Damon and Tara did come across as sheltered, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it may limit how much they can learn from life.

i saw the obvious editing manipulation in the self-defense class. they made it appear as if Damon was disrespecting her, when in fact they were practicing for their class.

i think that the inherent differences are lost in the obvious dramaticization, which is unfortunate because i firmly believe that people can recognize and learn from each other without resorting to stereotypes.

thank you arkiegrl

03-16-06, 12:26 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Wife Swap: March 13, 2006"
Yes I agree that they did come across as sheltered. That is sort of my point. These kids are not sheltered. Just the opposite. They are exposed to the real world daily. Children who are institutionalized in a government run facility daily (aka school) are not living in the real world. Thats just not real life. Anyway, my whole point in posting was first and foremost to defend my friends but also to educate those of us who are or have been fans of reality tv. They were shown as sheltered but they are not. They were also shown as wearing midevil garb every day but they do not. No one seems to have a problem grasping that part of it. Why is it such a stretch to understand that just because the children are homeschooled, just because they are close to their parents and just because ABC chooses that light to portray homeschoolers does not mean these kids are sheltered. Tara and Damon are well rounded individuals. I know that all you had to go on was the show. That I get. But I am telling you the show is totally wrong and I know and am close to the Stampers.

Well I have to go. I have 3 well rounded, social teens and 3 little ones tugging on me for our weekly homeschool ice skating session. They didn't show that - did they? Not suprising since they would not let friends or family anywhere near them for the entire week.

K

03-17-06, 10:24 AM (EST)
15. "RE: Wife Swap: March 13, 2006"
Well, if it's true that the show was horribly edited to make nothing into something, then I'm glad. I would rather know that what I saw was decieving than to know that the kids involved are living a very sheltered life that inhibits rather than to allow them to grow.

Like I said before I don't think either of the families were bad families just families who have made bad choices, but if that's not the case then great!!!

I can understand your defense of homeschooling. Even though I was never homeschooled I know it has it's benefits and alot of times it's the only options some parents are left with, which is sad because in a country such as this public schools should be on top of their game. The only problem with your post that I have is the negativity you express towards public schools. I know that not all public schools provide a good enviroment or education but it's unfair to generalize. The town I live in has a good school. It's a small town so naturally it's a small school (k-6 attends). The school is clean, my daughter's classroom is organized and stimulating, the teacher cares very much, I get a weekly letter telling me what my child has done and commentary on how well she did, I have not only the number to the principle's office but his cell and home phone as well, the school runs the buses, the school has fundraisers and does different family fun days that are free a couple of times a year, and my child gets the benefit of being independent and socialize with other children her age. Now if you were to ask if I would send my children to the elementary school in the next town (20 minutes away and part of the same district) I would say heck no!!!! To sum it all up, sometimes homeschooling is beneficial and the best choice and sometimes it's not just like with public schooling.

Jenoc99 102 desperate attention whore postings

03-17-06, 11:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Jenoc99 Click to send private message to Jenoc99 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Wife Swap: March 13, 2006"
After reading these posts from the Stamper's neighbor, I believe that the producers/editors really did make something out of nothing, making the Stamper family appear more "odd-ball" than they really are just for t.v.
The Stamper parents obviously care about and love their children very much, and your point about them allowing them to go on t.v. is a good one, duh, i didn't even think of that!
To the Stamper's neighbor: are they glad that they did the swap? Is there anything different about their lives now since the swap?
One other question: Remember when Stephanie was crying to the other husband, saying that he should be treated like a king, that it made her sad to see him have to do housework, yada yada.. was that edited in or was that real?

03-21-06, 08:29 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Wife Swap: March 13, 2006"
Sorry all. I wasn't ignoring - just out of town for a few days. I'm back and no more the worse for wear.

Jenoc99 to answer your questions...

Are they glad they did the swap? Well I would have to say that from what I've been told if they could go back they would probably not do it again. Nothing is really different since the swap. I think the experience was probably more negative than positive for the kids and Greg. Stephanie had a good time with the other family. Jules is really a nice person and Lisa's kids were great. They were kind to her.

As far as the actual part where she was crying about Jules having to do housework... not sure. Steph if you're reading this let me know will ya? I can tell you that the entire Stamper family really treasures each other. It wouldn't suprise me if that was an actual unedited scene. She believes in making her husband feel special when he's home and from what I know of Gregs personality he does the same for her. She could have gotten emotional thinking about her family that she was missing. I don't think Stephanie was really upset that a man had to do housework but just that he had to do so much and still work. I don't want to put words in her mouth though - I'm just guessing on this one. I'm sure she'll let me know if I'm wrong

Thank you all for opening your minds. I know it looks so real on tv but its just not. These are good people and we just need to look at it as entertainment because thats all it is. I know for myself I'll never take this all at face value again.

K

lgianna 32 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

03-23-06, 04:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail lgianna Click to send private message to lgianna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Wife Swap: March 13, 2006"
OK... I have to put my two cents worth in on this as well. I knew the Stampers many years ago. We belonged to the same medieval recreation group as they do. I have to say... I'm glad to see they are doing well. After living in this group for 13 years and raising my own 2 boys in it, it has taught them chivalry and honor. When they see a woman (or man), they know, carrying many things, and it may seem old fashioned (but sometimes that's good) they will drop whatever they are doing and go to assist. My boys go to public school and are 12 and 13 and are the top of their classes. And everybody always compliments how polite they are. I think the group that recreates the atmosphere that this behavior is not only encouraged but recommended is worth a second look. Many old traditions are good ones and completely overlooked by today's standards, and people think that's "freakish".... I'm sorry. We are normal people and so are the Stampers... We just all have an "unusual" hobby. OK... that's all I have to say.

::Stepping off my soapbox::

tomatohead 4 desperate attention whore postings

06-26-07, 04:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tomatohead Click to send private message to tomatohead Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Wife Swap: March 13, 2006"
worried? what you believe this crap?

ooooooooooooooook.......

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •