The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Season 8 - Bizarro World Judges"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol Individual Contestant and Judge Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

geekboy 1778 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

04-01-09, 11:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Season 8 - Bizarro World Judges"
There is something that has been bothering me this season with the judges. Let me try to explain as best i can.

IS it just me, or are the judges this season acting as if we're already in the finals? Its one thing to ask a contestant what kind of record they will make...but is it time for that yet?

I can understand how this could play into voting perhaps when we get down ot the final four. AT that point, we've learned a lot more about the singers...but the final 9? 10?

It really bothered me last night when they are already, for a couple weeks, harping on Matt and trying to pidgeonhole him into a Justin Timberlake/R&B mold when I don't thikn that totally defines Matt. He seemed obviously upset last night at that narrow mold of a genre. I think its good that he's showing more sides than just that.

Kara, also, has been saying "What record will you make? Would that be a first single?"

Maybe its just my bad memory, but i don't recall them doing this at this early point in seasons past.

I can get on board with Kara and the 'artistry' thing she's looking for. I agree with that, but...to say a contestant is in the wrong genre, i take issue with that.

Thoughts?

geekboy

"I think what Randy Travis was trying to say was 'What the hell was that?!'" - S. Cowell

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Season 8 - Bizarro World Judges Snidget 04-01-09 1
   RE: Season 8 - Bizarro World Judges Glow 04-01-09 2
 RE: Season 8 - Bizarro World Judges candyb32 04-01-09 3
   RE: Season 8 - Bizarro World Judges jbug 04-02-09 4
       RE: Season 8 - Bizarro World Judges sica077 04-06-09 10
   RE: Season 8 - Bizarro World Judges geekboy 04-02-09 5
 RE: Season 8 - Bizarro World Judges DoodleBug 04-02-09 6
   RE: Season 8 - Bizarro World Judges zazzy 04-03-09 7
       RE: Season 8 - Bizarro World Judges geekboy 04-03-09 8
           RE: Season 8 - Bizarro World Judges zazzy 04-06-09 9
               RE: Season 8 - Bizarro World Judges Glow 04-07-09 11

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-01-09, 12:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Season 8 - Bizarro World Judges"
Yep they seem to be pushing the voters to only vote for commercial success rather than anything else.

*looks at how many idols lost contracts in the last year*

Oh, that.

I do have some issue with the pigeonholing. (partly because historically as soon as the contestant does one genre and one genre only they usually get blasted for not being able to change it up) However, I do think certain voices do tend to fit better with certain genres. And they are right part of earning a living at music is going to mean singing what suits your voice enough it will sell. Sing what you really like in the shower like everyone else, but sing what shows off your voice if you expect people to vote for it now, or pay money for it after the show is over.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

04-01-09, 12:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Season 8 - Bizarro World Judges"
My problem with Matt is that just because you are doing somebody else's song doesn't mean you have to try to make your voice sound like theirs. I want him to sing it the way HE would sing it. That's what, like it or hate it, Megan does. If every person that was ever on this show walked out and sang a song and I was in another room, I can tell you with absolute 100% certainty when Megan started singing. The same can be said about a lot of these people. But not Matt. I'm not sure I even know what his voice really sounds like. And I like him. I think he got with Lil and they decided to blow this together.

Is this a Matt thread?

"What he does is original, deliberate, and intentional. He knows what he's doing and why. He is so superior to any of the other contestants that he really doesn't even belong there." - Tahj

candyb32 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

04-01-09, 11:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail candyb32 Click to send private message to candyb32 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Season 8 - Bizarro World Judges"
I totally agree with you. I felt that they have been doing so since the season started. It feels like they already have their minds made up on who should win. You can see it in their comments to the person after they have sung.

I wish they had not hired Kara. She is one of the worst judges ever. I get the feeling that she is jealous of the best singers in the competition. I had NEVER heard of her before and I know that she wanted to be a singer, which did not work for her so she turned to songwriting. This is where she has made her living and its what she needs to return to.

She is trying to pigeon-hole the artists. I was proud of Anoop last night for telling her that he wants to be a R&B singer and the only thing she had to say was "oh".

I'm also tired of the judges telling them that they choose the wrong song. The focus should be on how well they sang the song they chose. Also, they need to take into account the category that they choose for that week.

I hope that Kara will be a one-time and gone judge.

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings

04-02-09, 08:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Season 8 - Bizarro World Judges"
Kara is too full of herself.
Go to RTVW front page and read about her heckler. It was Megan's brother. Kara confronted him - and even went back later into the audience and got into it with him again! LOL
I think it is hilarious! My gosh, she is such a little know it all.

As much as I'm sick & tired of Paula? I don't want to see her replaced with Kara.

Crusin w/ Tribe

sica077 523 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

04-06-09, 01:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sica077 Click to send private message to sica077 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Season 8 - Bizarro World Judges"
LAST EDITED ON 04-06-09 AT 01:29 PM (EST)

I read somewhere (of course, can't remember where now) an interview with Paula. In that interview she clearly stated that:
1) her contract with Idol is up this season,
2) she is ready to move on to bigger and better things (ok, Idol watchers saw the video, Paula, ahem, and Randy... NOT good),
3) Idol works better with just three judges.

I am not sure if she was implying anything with these points or if she just read the wrong cue card. However, I strongly dislike Kara. She seems to be way to judgmental and she makes blanket statements like there is no tomorrow, "You gave me... no, the entire audience... goosebumps." Sorry, but, no - not for me anyway. Because of her I find myself shouting at the TV much more often during Idol.

04-02-09, 08:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Season 8 - Bizarro World Judges"
LAST EDITED ON 04-02-09 AT 08:42 AM (EST)

Just for the record - Kara CAN sing. I saw a video of her singing "Taking Chances" which was recorded by Celine, and it was damn good.

Actually, she's released a CD w/ Dave Steward from the Eurhythmics under the band name "Platinum Weird". Search youtube and you'll find them.

geekboy

"I think what Randy Travis was trying to say was 'What the hell was that?!'" - S. Cowell

DoodleBug 5133 desperate attention whore postings

04-02-09, 09:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail DoodleBug Click to send private message to DoodleBug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Season 8 - Bizarro World Judges"
LAST EDITED ON 04-02-09 AT 09:18 AM (EST)

We've been watching this show for 8 years now and the talent has certainly improved. The contestants have certainly improved. The judges?? Not so much. But it's become this huge phenomenon and the judges are expecting great things. We also have many contestants to compare the existing ones to. The judges (and the audience) have seen what it takes to win, and when someone fits that description, they jump on it. They expect this type of singer at the beginning of the show rather than sit and watch for it to come to them. I guess you can compare it to a child growing up. American Idol is now 8 years old and the expectations of the contestants are higher now because they have grown up (Allison is only twice the age of the show) watching it. If you want to be on American Idol today then you should know what type of song you want to sing as if you were ready to record it tomorrow.. it used to be about finding untapped talent and guiding them into the artist they could be, helping them find their voice.

In my opinion, Kris Allen is what the show is all about. I mean on the idol website it says that Kris has had no formal training (he's not the only one). Compare that to Adam. No wonder the judges think Adam will/should win... he's trained and seasoned.

Not sure if my post fits with what you are talking about, but that's my beef with the show right now.... jumping to conclusions instead of just letting the contestants evolve and grow on their own.

edited for spelling

zazzy 4390 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

04-03-09, 12:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zazzy Click to send private message to zazzy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Season 8 - Bizarro World Judges"
I love your comment about how the show has grown but the judges have not. Well, Paula is giving better comments this year, so there's that.

As for the judges pigeonholing people, yes, they were doing this before. Last year with Michael Johns is a prime example. They at first were lauding his rock stuff, but when David Cook got such a reaction with "Hello" and "Billie Jean" the judges, primarily Simon and Randy, started critizing Michael for singing rock stuff and wanted him to be in a "bluesy soul" box. They had gone on Larry King earlier that week and said the same thing. Their minds were made up and they were firm about wanting him OUT of the rock stuff.

That week he didn't sing "bluesy soul", he sang "Dream On" by Areosmith and by singing first of 8 and getting puked on by the judges he was the "surprise boot" at 8th. Weeks before Simon had told him he had "star potential" after singing BohRap.

The judges' pigeonholing people is part of the shaping people's thoughts game. There are two lead horses this year: Adam and Danny; like last year's David and David. Michael Johns and Carly were dispatched with criticism. Lesser talented Brooke White, Jason C, and Syesha stayed on well past Michael and all outlasted Carly

While I have hopes for Kris this year, he'll likely be singing first after having had the pimp spot this week. Even if he gets the "way to start the show" praise, someone else will likely get the "BEST performance of the night!!!" praise and Kris is long forgotten by the time it's time to vote. And we could be seeing Kris in the bottom three or two due to his placement of singing first.

As for Matt, he has me confused. He can do some niches **live** very well and sounds karaoke when doing Coldplay and The Fray live. Yet his studio recording of The Fray sounded good. I don't think the judges have been too harsh on him, if anything, he is being held up/pimped more than his performance talent has shown he should get. I think his story arc is coming to an end.

04-03-09, 02:55 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Season 8 - Bizarro World Judges"
Just for the record.

Matt was visibly upset when they started railing on him for doing rock and not 'sticking to the R&B/Timberlake vibe'. I would have also been upset by that. Carrie Underwood is just as good at singing rock as she is at singing country. Cookie can sing a drecky ballad like 'Time of My Life' as well as he can rock out.

Let the kids sing, don't slip them into tight genres.

geekboy

zazzy 4390 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

04-06-09, 08:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail zazzy Click to send private message to zazzy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Season 8 - Bizarro World Judges"
Oh, yes, I could see that Matt was upset. It's upsetting to have your dream squashed in front of millions.

It's the year of the "package artist" and "artistry" don't you know! ;)

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

04-07-09, 07:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Season 8 - Bizarro World Judges"
So Kris is going to win? That would make me extremely happy. EXTREMELY.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •