The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol Individual Contestant and Judge Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

badger 1273 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

01-24-05, 03:11 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread"
*snort*

I confess, I did want to join the KISS Army at one point in my sick sick childhood, but I always prefered Peter Criss to Gene Simmons.

But man, i hope FOX gives us Gene in all his trashy-mouthed glory this week.

For folks who missed it, here's the transcript of Simmons's interview with NPR's Terry Gross:
http://www.maniahill.com/funny/Gene_Simmons_Terry_Gross_Fresh_Air_02_04_2002.htm

on her own tangent since 1971

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Ahhh Kiss... how well I remember th... DontGetMeStarted 01-24-05 1
 RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread beaker 01-24-05 2
   RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread MandyM 01-25-05 3
       RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread volsfan 01-25-05 4
           RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread MandyM 01-25-05 5
           RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread batts 01-25-05 6
               RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread volsfan 01-25-05 7
                   RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread MandyM 01-25-05 8
                       RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread batts 01-25-05 9
                           OMH! volsfan 01-25-05 10
                           RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread Angelfood 01-25-05 11
                               RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread volsfan 01-25-05 12
                                   RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread MandyM 01-25-05 13
                                       RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread volsfan 01-25-05 15
                                           RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread MandyM 01-25-05 17
                                           RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread Rhiannon 01-26-05 31
                                   RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread Angelfood 01-25-05 18
                           RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread MandyM 01-25-05 14
                               RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread batts 01-25-05 16
                       RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread nailbone 01-26-05 24
                   RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread PhoenixMons 01-26-05 19
                       RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread kidflash212 01-26-05 20
                       RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread volsfan 01-26-05 22
                           RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread PhoenixMons 01-26-05 27
                               RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread volsfan 01-26-05 28
                                   RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread PhoenixMons 01-26-05 29
                   RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread anotherkim 01-26-05 21
                       RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread volsfan 01-26-05 23
           RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread seahorse 01-26-05 25
               RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread batts 01-26-05 30
           RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread heartsister 01-27-05 32
 RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread beaker 01-26-05 26
 ALL RIGHT... volsfan 01-27-05 33
   RE: ALL RIGHT... PhoenixMons 01-27-05 34
       RE: ALL RIGHT... Lisapooh 01-27-05 35
           RE: ALL RIGHT... nailbone 01-27-05 37
       RE: ALL RIGHT... volsfan 01-27-05 36
           RE: ALL RIGHT... ginger 01-27-05 38

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

DontGetMeStarted 880 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

01-24-05, 09:00 PM (EST)
1. "Ahhh Kiss... how well I remember them ... Beth I hear ya"
calling.... I want to Rock n Roll all night ... shure they teach us that when we are young and then BAM we grow up and are told to stop. Where is the Justice in that>

Anyway I was in 1st row center seats at the Capitol Center show for Kiss when I was... oh 9th grade I think he was all toungey and licky... I was grossed out by the 10 foot tounge.... loved the rest of the show though! Peter was the cutie one for me though

beaker 107 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

01-24-05, 09:56 PM (EST)
2. "RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread"
Can't wait to see him

MandyM 2112 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

01-25-05, 08:34 PM (EST)
3. "RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread"
He's doing great so far! None of that sugar-coated bs! I think Simon has found the perfect partner in crime!

MM I'm convinced this country is another planet’s hell

volsfan 19846 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-25-05, 09:01 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread"
You have to be kidding? He was terrible! He knocked almost everyone that COULD sing. The twins at the end both had talent and he ripped them on the song they sang...not their ability. Simon even went against him at times.

01-25-05, 09:06 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread"
I prefer to view him as discerning...the peeps that he DID give the thumbs up to...I bet they will be around for the finals. Simon gave thumbs up to a couple that although quite good, are not going to be around to the end. JMHO.

batts 1731 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

01-25-05, 09:10 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread"
I agree with you Vols....... and did u notice how he made sounds while some contestants were honestly trying to audition? Talk about no respect........
Even though yodeling is not exactly 'my bag'... I couldnt believe he made fun by trying to yodel along with him. and I have a much lower opinion of him, just by how he dissed some of the auditioners.........

01-25-05, 09:26 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread"
LAST EDITED ON 01-25-05 AT 09:27 PM (EST)

I agree batts. He was not respectful of the peeps at all.

Mandy, he made the difference in some of the peeps making it to Hollywood or not. He is a guest! Had it not been for him both the twins at the end would have made Hollywood where they belong. IMHO those twins both sang better than others that had gotten through. Also, we have no idea at this point who will make it to the end and who won't so there isn't any reason to discuss who will be there and who won't.

01-25-05, 09:49 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread"
I agreed with Simon in that if those twins had auditioned individually, they wouldn't have been so special. I personally thought they were nasally and affected. You are right, we can't tell now who will make it, but if it winds up that the contestants that we saw Gene pass through make it to the finals, I will be digging this thread up to say "I told you so" LOLOL! And I fully expect you to return the favor if they are the first voted out!

I just really enjoyed tonights show and love Gene Simmons (yes, I did have KISS posters in my locker in junior high school and yes, I actually even owned the action figures and WATCHED that horrible movie that they made at the amusement park and just a few years ago watched "Detroit Rock City". ---Mock me at your will! )

MM I wanna rock-n-roll all night and party every day

01-25-05, 10:02 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread"
....... and I loved the 'Village People' , had their posters in my room, collected the action figures, and even loved their movie "Cant stop the music"........

01-25-05, 10:06 PM (EST)
10. "OMH!"
I was sooooo in lvoe with them too! I even have their greatest hits CD. I sing to it ever now and then.

Angelfood 2114 desperate attention whore postings

01-25-05, 10:18 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread"
I loved Duran Duran. Were there action figures? I would've had some fun with that... but

Gene Simmons scared me as a young girl. It was mostly the boots. I thought he did good and bad tonight. I agree that making noises while they sang was rude, but I was impressed at some of the lengthy feedback (constructive criticism) that he gave a few of them. He was hard tho.

The twins - that was a hard call. Very true that they are too old to do Boyband songs - but it was the gestures that hurt it for me. And what's with Paula voting for the one who sang less, and not the one who sang more and sang better?? Duh.

I wish that they had them sing something differently. And I like the preview for Tomorrow night - but won't go into detail on that right now.

01-25-05, 10:25 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread"
Until Gene said something about them doing a boyband song it never occurred to me...however, what difference does it make. I thought it was very clear they had talent. I thought the one that sang less also was better. Who cares what song they sing if it is apparent they have talent?

That is where I think I differ with Gene. He knocked the one guy (the Christian) and said he should be doing country and he voted no. What about Josh Grayson (sp?)? He was on AI and now sings country.

01-25-05, 10:39 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread"
"What about Josh Grayson (sp?)? He was on AI and now sings country."

I think that was his point........he should stick to the genre in which he sounds best.

01-25-05, 10:47 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread"
LAST EDITED ON 01-25-05 AT 10:52 PM (EST)

No...his point was that country music is for another show, not AI! Or that is how I took it!

01-25-05, 11:23 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread"
aaccck.....I guess I mis-spoke...I meant the same thing as you said though...I think Gene thought he might more appropriately audition for "Nashville Star".

Rhiannon 52 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

01-26-05, 07:26 PM (EST)
31. "RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread"
Actually it had nothing to do with his voice. What Gene said was that being a pop idol would be difficult for a christian since there are alot of themes that would go against his values as well as rebellion. He made the point that in country you can get away with lyrics that are clean and in line with a christian viewpoint.

Angelfood 2114 desperate attention whore postings

01-25-05, 11:43 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread"
Ftr, I totally agree that they should have been passed through, they were good. And only 16 were passed thru anyways - there is definitely room. OR at the least, they should have been given a chance to sing something else individually.

Just no boy-band love gestures, that's all I meant.

Hey, I had a LP with a few Village People hits, and I had Studio 54! Now, that's Da bomb!

01-25-05, 10:40 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread"
And when one of the Village People is a guest host, I will cut you some slack in their guest host capabilities!

01-25-05, 11:11 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread"
LOL Mandy..... yep.. here it is
'The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack Album'
Composed and produced by Jacques Morali!
(all these pics inside the album cover... )
Cant stop the music, Samantha, Give Me a Break, Liberation, Magic Night, The Sound of the City, Milkshake, YMCA, I Love you to death, Sophistication.... whaaa ? no 'In the Navy'?

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

01-26-05, 10:32 AM (EST)
24. "RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread"
yes, I did have KISS posters in my locker in junior high school and yes, I actually even owned the action figures and WATCHED that horrible movie that they made at the amusement park and just a few years ago watched "Detroit Rock City".

BUT, did you have the comic book where they used their own blood in the red ink?????

Handcrafted by Rolly - ain't it cool!!

Keep lookin' up, cuz that's where it all is. o-

PhoenixMons 4696 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

01-26-05, 00:20 AM (EST)
19. "RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread"
The twins....

Their voices were nothing special. They were mostly in key, but the sound of their voices was just boring, IMO. Their phrasing was not right for Boyz II Men (I think that's what Randy was getting at) and neither was impressive enough to make it to Hollywood, IMO.

I thought, with the exception of the guy that Randy raved about, these people were nothing special at all. I LVOED the first guy...he was awesome and he sang one of my favorite songs (Sam Cooke's "Change Is Gonna Come"). His voice was very smooth/silky and he's definitely my favorite so far. As for the others...the gal in pink was interesting...she had a decent enough voice, but she was too throaty. The ends of her notes (when she wasn't trying to belt it) were very pretty, though. The Louie Armstrong guy was odd. He definitely has some talent there...again...just too throaty for me. But I'm glad he made it through because I want to hear him singing something else. I didn't like the guy who sang In the Still of the Night (he sounded like a cheap imitation of Nick Lachey - which isn't saying much for his talents ). He was okay, but I wouldn't have put him through. The first set of twins should have chosen something more flattering to their voices, but they were pretty good.

That yodeler was cool...too bad this is American Idol and not Yodeling Idol cause that boy can yodel.

And I liked the projection guy in a William Hung sorta way. He was actually (mostly) in tune, but doesn't have any sort of musicality about him. But he was cute in a weird way.

And Leroy Wells. OMH! He was too funny. I actually understood everything he said (that certainly helped), but regardless, he was just hilarious! Can you dig it!

Got blog?

kidflash212 5051 desperate attention whore postings

01-26-05, 03:10 AM (EST)
20. "RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread"
Did anyone else find it odd that Gene seemed to just take over? He was telling contestants when to start and appeared to be ordering around Randy, Paula & Simon.

01-26-05, 08:54 AM (EST)
22. "RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread"
PM, if you found the twins to be nothing special and boring how can you explain the other 15 that made it through?

I say 15 because the first guy was talented and deserved to make it through. I am basing the twins talent on the others that were shown and there is not doubt in my mind they deserve to make it through.

01-26-05, 02:24 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread"
I can't explain it ! I think of the people we saw, only the first guy really had any sort of hope of making it past Hollywood into the semis and beyond.

For me, with the twins, it was mostly their odd phrasing and the way in which they sang the song (and then their annoying behavior after they didn't make it was certainly not redeeming) than their actual voices (which were okay). For all we know, there was more to their audition than we saw and the judges may not have liked their attitude and made their decision based upon that.

Got blog?

01-26-05, 03:37 PM (EST)
28. "RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread"
Well, what you say maybe true but they were there to be judged on their ability to sing...not their attitudes.

Also, that is why I had a beef with Gene, he wasn't judging talent. He told the one guy no because he should be singing country music and then told the twins no because they sang a boy band song. Those to me are not reasons to turn these people down.

01-26-05, 05:36 PM (EST)
29. "RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread"
But vols, this is NOT just a singing contest. There have been lots of people who've been cut who were excellent singers (not necessarily this season...and often the better singers are cut once they get to the last rounds before the final 10/12 are selected). If it were a singing contest, Clay would've gotten through without any comment about his 'look' and George would've also gotten through without the talk of him looking too old. I mean, if some opera singer came and auditioned, it is not very likely they'd get through. It's about "the whole package" and they usually emphasize this pretty well throughout the season.

And even if it WAS just a singing contest, I'm sorry, but the twins needed a lot of help, vocally. Their voices in and of themselves were decent, as I've said, but they just don't have the awareness of how best to use their voices (hence the cracks on them being too 'boy band-ish' and on choosing the wrong song) and they have a very choppy sound with their attempts at runs. It just sounded unnatural.

I do agree with you, though, that Gene was rude. He was particularly rude to the yodeler. I think he was just trying to be like Simon. And I think it was messed up how Simon did those twins...separating them and then still saying 'no' to both was pretty messed up and served no purpose other than to embarass them.

Got blog?

anotherkim 14420 desperate attention whore postings

01-26-05, 04:23 AM (EST)
21. "RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread"

He might have been a guest, but he was still there to be a judge. What good would it be to have him there if he had to go along with the majority? That sort of defeats the purpose of having him there in the first place.

I didn't hear the twins clearly due to a phone call, but they were just sort of "eh" in what I did hear.

Miscellaneous Ramblings
--and their attitude was terrible, IMO.

01-26-05, 08:56 AM (EST)
23. "RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread"
Sure he was guest but he sort of took over the entire show IMHO.

You say the twins attitude was terrible...I say Gene's attitude was terrible. He thought the show was about him not the talent or lack there of.

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings

01-26-05, 11:21 AM (EST)
25. "RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread"
I agree, he was overly tough. He would not have moved himself on to Hollywood in my opinion.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

01-26-05, 07:01 PM (EST)
30. "RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread"
He probley woulda been rude, stuck his tongue out, and made faces to himself......

heartsister 4 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

01-27-05, 09:37 AM (EST)
32. "RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread"
LAST EDITED ON 01-27-05 AT 09:38 AM (EST)

Finally! I've read nothing but "he's the best guest judge yet." While I appreciate the honesty, he had no right to bark like a dog and talk through their auditions. Being in a successful heavy metal, rock and roll, whatever you want to call it, group doesn't automatically make one an expert in music. The face paint gimmick is what made Kiss famous, the rest was just luck. I'm not totally against Kiss, they had several hits and got airplay, but I don't consider screaming guitars and 50 ft speakers necessary to make good music. I'm surprised Gene Simmons can even hear, let alone judge potential talent.
heartsister

beaker 107 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

01-26-05, 12:25 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Gene Simmons -- Love(?) Thread"
Wow, he was tougher than Simon.

01-27-05, 09:58 AM (EST)
33. "ALL RIGHT..."
I have waited to post anything to see if anyone would fess up but I guess not. The twin made it through to Hollywood! Where are all the nay sayers? Let's hear it...what is your excuse?

01-27-05, 10:49 AM (EST)
34. "RE: ALL RIGHT..."
No excuse from me. He sounded better, but I still don't like him or his voice. Like I said, his voice itself is pretty good, but the WAY he sings just doesn't work. The forced feeling of his phrasing and rhythm bothers me. Part of being a good singer is knowing what you can and should sing. He is not good at picking songs that are good for him. He would probably be better served by something less rhythmically driven. A simpler song with less (or no) runs and 'frills' would suit him better.

I liked last nights show. They showed some pretty good singers in this bunch. The Asian gal, heavier gal, and the last guy with the hat (boy he's a cutie) stood out as ral contenders for at least the semis. The Asian gal will sound great with music (she was off key a lot, but her voice is good and that last note was fantastic). The heavier gal just needs a 'look' and she'll be set. The hat guy was such a cutie and I liked him a lot.

The psychic. Hehehe...she is the poster child for truly being tone deaf. It was very clear that she had no idea that she did not sound good and the fact that she consistently sang the same 'wrong' notes shows that she just does not have the ability to distinguish between different tones but that she does have some sort of 'control' over her voice (she just doesn't know she sucks).

Got blog?

Lisapooh 12664 desperate attention whore postings

01-27-05, 11:46 AM (EST)
35. "RE: ALL RIGHT..."
I find his overconfidence to be sorta repugnant. He IS NOT anything special at all. And his gestures and affectations are distracting too.

But really I just wanted to drag omy KISS sig pic out of the closet.

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

01-27-05, 12:24 PM (EST)
37. "RE: ALL RIGHT..."
I want a KISS sigpic!!!!!

Handcrafted by Rolly - ain't it cool!!

Keep lookin' up, cuz that's where it all is. o-

01-27-05, 12:18 PM (EST)
36. "RE: ALL RIGHT..."
PM, to be honest...I thought his performance two nights ago was much better than lastnight.

The psychic was a hoot. I cracked up.

The last guy with hat (Italian guy), I hope last until the final two because he is some great eye candy! However, I guestion his range. I don't think his voice is cut out for a song that he has to hit different notes. We will have to see though.

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

01-27-05, 01:19 PM (EST)
38. "RE: ALL RIGHT..."
Coming late to the party, but I vastly prefer Gene to Paula. His comments were not only pithier, he seems less narcotically enhanced.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •