The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Country V/S Southern Accent. Should Danielle change herself...again?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences America's Next Top Model Forum (Protected)
Original message

Darling Nickey 15 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

04-27-06, 10:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Darling%20Nickey Click to send private message to Darling%20Nickey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Country V/S Southern Accent. Should Danielle change herself...again?"
Ok people what is with the bash of the country accent. I’m from Chicago so I’m not defending it in that sense but come on. Nnenna (hated to see her go, loved her, but she fell off her game) has a thick accent, and it is considered beautiful, Naima didn’t have an accent but her voice is sooooo annoying, Nicole from last year sounded like she had phlem in her throat, and even my girl Adrianne from ANTM 1 sounded a little manly.

Maybe she should take a diction class to fine tune the accent but let’s not get dramatic.

Question is there a difference between a southern accent and a country one?
Because other times they’ve loved a “southern” accent but they keep calling hers “country”

"Don't Even Get Me Started"

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Sh... Magnolia_Rocker 04-27-06 1
   RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Sh... Darling Nickey 04-27-06 2
       RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Sh... Snidget 04-27-06 4
   RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Sh... Snidget 04-27-06 3
       RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Sh... Darling Nickey 04-27-06 5
 RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Sh... nazpink 04-28-06 6
   RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Sh... msladyhotlady 04-28-06 7
   RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Sh... ANTMGirl4Life 04-28-06 8
 RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Sh... ANTM_Fan 04-29-06 9
   RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Sh... Twinkles 04-29-06 10
       RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Sh... nazpink 05-02-06 11
       RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Sh... puppyupper 05-06-06 13
 RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Sh... trigirl 05-06-06 12
   RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Sh... prosecutor 05-06-06 14
 RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Sh... MsDeeVeeAns 05-09-06 15
 RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Sh... male_supa_model 05-10-06 16
 RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Sh... 2Centz 05-11-06 17
   RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Sh... scota 05-11-06 18
       RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Sh... MsDeeVeeAns 05-11-06 19
           RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Sh... angie1990 05-11-06 20
               RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Sh... ANTMGirl4Life 05-11-06 21
               RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Sh... butterfly34 05-11-06 22
                   RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Sh... Darling Nickey 05-11-06 23
 RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Sh... flower2 05-11-06 24
 RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Sh... MSWONDERFUL 05-12-06 25

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Magnolia_Rocker 2139 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

04-27-06, 11:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Magnolia_Rocker Click to send private message to Magnolia_Rocker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Should Danielle change herself...again?"
There is a definite difference in "country" and "southern". I have a southern accent. I enunciate my words, use correct grammar and still hang onto my southern drawl. "Country" is when you use the southern slang words instead of proper English.

Siggy thanks to Syren!

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

04-27-06, 11:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Darling%20Nickey Click to send private message to Darling%20Nickey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Should Danielle change herself...again?"
Ahhhh now im understanding. But should she change her accent. I think its both cute and real. Like I said maybe a diction lesson but she sould have to lose it all. Or am I just being naive?

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-27-06, 11:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Should Danielle change herself...again?"
Diction may help, but a lot of time for any sort of speaking role you have to learn to speak without any accent. There is a standard American dialect that most newscasters and actors use. Sometimes you can get by with a regional accent, but it can get you pigeonholed into a very small part of the available parts.

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-27-06, 11:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Should Danielle change herself...again?"
I think country accent may be a little less regional that the southern accent. Even parts of the country that I've lived that do not have a southern accent often have what we usually called "hick accent" rather than the nicer words rural or country accents.

There also isn't a unified accent in the south, either, it does tend to vary from state to state (or even within a state, natives around here can usually tell which part of the state other natives were born). Danielle being from Arkansas may sound more "country" than "Southern" because the accent there does tend to sound more rural than southern as you would hear in Georgia or Mississippi. I think many who settled the Ozark regions of Missouri and Arkansas came from the Appalacian area, which tracks more rural than southern in accent.

For me usually the "Southern" accent sounds more refined and softer in a way than the "Country" accents you hear in Missouri and Arkansas. Rural accents can come across as harsh and often sound less educated than the traditional Southern Accent. I knew a brilliant man who was from the backwoods of Tennesse and it was fun listening to him lecture with all the technical and academic terms he used with the very thick backwoods Southern accent.

Imaginary friends by Bob!

04-27-06, 12:03 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Should Danielle change herself...again?"
Awesome reply!!!!

I get it but if she must change for the career, I hope at home with friends and family she stays true...gap, accent and all.

"The industry is a part of your life not your very existence"
--Tyra (hmmm ironic huh?)

nazpink 1058 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

04-28-06, 09:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail nazpink Click to send private message to nazpink Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Should Danielle change herself...again?"
In my opinion I'm thinking the judges are pretty much saying it makes her sound dumb. People usually have an assumption that country folk aren't intelligant (which is wrong!) I would rather listen to Danielle's accent then Adrienne who sounds manly and like a boring drone.

msladyhotlady 28 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

04-28-06, 10:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail msladyhotlady Click to send private message to msladyhotlady Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Should Danielle change herself...again?"
Hello, you guys have gotten really technical with this discussion, but on a more simlple side. I feel that if she really wants this she will do whatever needs to be done, but like someone said, it does not have to define who you are or you have to become that person. It's all for the camera baby.

ANTMGirl4Life 57 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-28-06, 12:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ANTMGirl4Life Click to send private message to ANTMGirl4Life Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Should Danielle change herself...again?"
>In my opinion I'm thinking the
>judges are pretty much saying
>it makes her sound dumb.
>People usually have an assumption
>that country folk aren't intelligant
>(which is wrong!)>

You are so right! That's exactly what it is and it's not true at all!

ANTM_Fan 2 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

04-29-06, 06:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ANTM_Fan Click to send private message to ANTM_Fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Should Danielle change herself...again?"
Danielle's accent is almost incomprehensible.
Nnenna's accent was beautiful.

I really don't think that modeling is about accents. They are not actors. Some models become spokesmodels but most just take nice picture so, I think the issue about accents is irrelevant. Tyra doesn't speak that well either. I watch her show and she makes a lot of mistakes.

Regarding Nnenna: Nnenna was thrown off her game. I think she was sabotaged. First by her stupid boyfriend, then by then bringing him to see her (instead of her mother), then by the hideous make-up in the doll shoot. Everyone was intimidated by Nnenna so, they got rid of her.

Nnenna was beautiful and regal and classy and poised. She is a superstar and I hope that someone picks her up anyway. She's the next Iman, and the other bald African girl from the 90's.

And i hope that she gets rid of that lame boyfriend and marries a king or a prince! A man that admires and wants to flaunt her beauty and talents not one that gives her a trip for doing well.

Someone slip her number to one of Prince Charles' sons. That's where Nnenna should be.

Twinkles 324 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

04-29-06, 07:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Twinkles Click to send private message to Twinkles Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Should Danielle change herself...again?"
"modelling isn't about accents"

True, but they are looking for spokeswomen. I think they might be suffering some backlash after Naima and Nicole sound so vapid. They do want models who can do commercials, conduct interviews, and not be embarassed by reviewers.

Imagine this in some stupid fashion magazine:
"We talked to the STUNNING Danielle backstage between changes to get some inside info about (whatever) but couldn't stifle our giggles whenever she would say the designer's NAME!!!"

It does sound picayune to go after Danielle's dialect during this show. That may be a very good sign though. It sounds to me like they are considering her for the top spot. I haven't heard her talk in a few days but she has a quality about the way she talks that is kind of like she's chewing gum.

Many years ago I used to coach students who were giving oral presentations. When training to do this, I learned how to identify - in a very short time - the fewest sounds or words that a listener would find distracting if someone was speaking with an accent. I had a great book that had everything you needed to help the person first hear the difference in sounds, then begin to practice to change, then get closer to American English pronounciation (i guess it would be TV dialect, lol).

If Danielle's dialect would really be a liability, a few weeks with a speech coach would help. She wouldn't lose her Southern accent altogether.

A Swedish friend went to one - still sounds Swedish but lost the singy-songy bit

nazpink 1058 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

05-02-06, 12:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nazpink Click to send private message to nazpink Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Should Danielle change herself...again?"
Twinkles, what you say makes more sense than what the judges are saying. Basically, your belief is that she simply needs help with her dialect rather than completely change her accent all together. Imagine how Danielle thinks and feels when the judges say "you need to change your accent". If I was Danielle I would be thinking that I shouldn't sound Southern. It's funny that the judges are talking about someone talking in a way that others can understand more when they themselves are doing a poor job of it.

And regarding another poster that said Nnenna was sabotaged, I do agree to a point. We now know as viewers that the judges are privy to whatever goes on in the house because they themselves exposed this information when they referred to Nnenna's boyfriend problems. Knowing that Nnenna was having problems within her relationship they should have opted to allow one of her sisters to come and visit her, after all it was a reward. They clearly did it to try and create drama and give people in the house something to talk about. And the baby doll makeup was ridiculous. However, Nnenna didn't improve, in fact she did lose some of her spark. This is disappointing because I truly do think that Nnenna is a beautiful woman and her personality didn't bother me whatsoever. Honestly, Nnenna really didn't need to win this competition anyways, in fact from what I have heard about past contestants, going through all this drama and false hope isn't even worth winning.

puppyupper 13 desperate attention whore postings

05-06-06, 12:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail puppyupper Click to send private message to puppyupper Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Should Danielle change herself...again?"
So Danielle has a harsh accent? So what?

I doubt that Tyra spoke as she does now when she started modelling. As Twinkles points out, it's not that hard to fix, but it takes time. Danielle is more than willing to do whatever it takes to succeed. She didn't want to close the gap in her teeth, but she did (I think it looks great). She'll loose the accent, because she's willing to take direction from folks who know more than she does, unlike that skank, Jade.

Danielle has spunk, but more importantly, she has GRIT!

trigirl 2844 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

05-06-06, 12:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail trigirl Click to send private message to trigirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Should Danielle change herself...again?"
I love, love, love Danielle. She is beautiful, sprited, smart and principled (love the gap baby!). But...I cannot understand a thing that comes out of her mouth.

prosecutor 449 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

05-06-06, 01:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail prosecutor Click to send private message to prosecutor Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Should Danielle change herself...again?"
>I love, love, love Danielle.
>She is beautiful, sprited, smart
>and principled (love the gap
>baby!). But...I cannot understand
>a thing that comes out
>of her mouth.

I have to agree. I find myself always
asking what did she say? all the time.

MsDeeVeeAns 112 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-09-06, 09:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MsDeeVeeAns Click to send private message to MsDeeVeeAns Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Should Danielle change herself...again?"
I want Danielle to win.She has faced the greatest challenges...her accent and her teeth. I did not know what I would do for as soon as you change something permanent that is it..and is modelling worth it?

Her teeth look great and I think that worked out for her but now it is her accent? I think with some money D can hire a elecution speaker and that will be a non issue.The judgees, if they had any education would know that is a non issue. She is remarkably beautiful and down to earth at the same time..I want D to win !!!!!!

TYRA- you know she can get that accent fixed with some money girl!

male_supa_model 6 desperate attention whore postings

05-10-06, 11:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail male_supa_model Click to send private message to male_supa_model Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Should Danielle change herself...again?"
yeah I agree with some of the other posters. I am in NC and I talk slow and my words are loong thats southern. Country is putting letters in words when you say them that aren't there like saying over dere instead of there or chopping words up making tem short and 'm not talking bout abbreviating words either.

2Centz 150 desperate attention whore postings

05-11-06, 00:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail 2Centz Click to send private message to 2Centz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Should Danielle change herself...again?"

Tyra says, "Try to speak like a Cover Girl."

Has she even seen Nicole's lame-azz Cover Girl Cpommercials? That wet noodle can barely say her own name , let alone describe what it's like to visit Paris for a big photo shoot. I still can't believe she won.

I wish they'd leave Danielle alone, or else get her a friggin voice coach. Dang, she's doing her best with what she's got, and I don't think she sounds that bad -- she just needs a little polish.

scota 6 desperate attention whore postings

05-11-06, 04:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail scota Click to send private message to scota Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Should Danielle change herself...again?"
I'm really surprised they are focusing so much on her accent. They got a dentist to fix the problems with both Danielle and Joanie's teeth (Joanie's being quite an ordeal and obviously very expensive). Why can't they just get a vocal coach? All the girls would benefit from this. Jade doesn't exactly speak well herself.

MsDeeVeeAns 112 desperate attention whore postings

05-11-06, 08:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail MsDeeVeeAns Click to send private message to MsDeeVeeAns Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Should Danielle change herself...again?"
Great point Scota one I overlooked: not once did Tyra say anything about how ignorant Jade is when she opens her mouth to speak.This is selective on her part for I think D's accent is natural and is more acceptable and is not a flaw where have Jade as the model would perpetrate the ideology that models are air heads...Jade needs some grade five education first girl.

angie1990 6 desperate attention whore postings

05-11-06, 09:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail angie1990 Click to send private message to angie1990 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Should Danielle change herself...again?"
i think tyra is full of crap. who in the hell does this witch think she is telling someone they need to change their accent towards the end of the season. why didn't she say something from the get-go.since she has a problem with it,why did she pick danielle to be in the competition? did she see nicole's insipid cover girl commerial? that girl talks like a freaking robot. and miss tyra is so damn perfect, that she poops out diamonds. what a witch.

ANTMGirl4Life 57 desperate attention whore postings

05-11-06, 01:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ANTMGirl4Life Click to send private message to ANTMGirl4Life Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Should Danielle change herself...again?"
I was really bothered last night with Tyra comments about Danielle during judging. "Yeah but she can not be a Cover Girl with that accent!". She was so mean! What is the deal? Could it be she's getting pressure from Cover Girl? Hmmmm...I honestly believe if she had her way she would have sent Danielle home last night instead of Sara. You could tell she really wanted to.

butterfly34 72 desperate attention whore postings

05-11-06, 03:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail butterfly34 Click to send private message to butterfly34 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Should Danielle change herself...again?"
>i think tyra is full of
>crap. who in the hell
>does this witch think she
>is telling someone they need
>to change their accent towards
>the end of the season.
>why didn't she say something
>from the get-go.since she has
>a problem with it,why did
>she pick danielle to be
>in the competition? did she
>see nicole's insipid cover girl
>commerial? that girl talks like
>a freaking robot. and miss
>tyra is so damn perfect,
>that she poops out diamonds.
>what a witch.

I agree with you. I was so mad at Tyra last night. I mean damn the girl can't change the way she talk over night. I beginning to think that Cover girl is running the show now.

05-11-06, 03:55 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Should Danielle change herself...again?"
But Naima and Nicole's voice annoy me so whats the deal. call me crazy but I can actually understand everything Danielle says. Hell sometimes Twiggy and Nigels accent throw me for a loop.

flower2 171 desperate attention whore postings

05-11-06, 11:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail flower2 Click to send private message to flower2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Should Danielle change herself...again?"
LAST EDITED ON 05-12-06 AT 00:11 AM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 05-12-06 AT 00:09 AM (EST)

Tyra, Tyra, Tyra. Just lookin' for an excuse to get rid of Danielle. First, it was the gap in her teeth. Now it's her accent. This girl has overcome sooooo many obstacles on this show and you never saw her sweat. She sprained her ankle, wound up at the hospital for dehydration and food poisoning, refused to involve herself with the negativity in the house. EVERY time she took a photo it was fierce, her walk is better than Tyra's and she has NEVER had a bad attitude. What's their excuse now? The girl's southern accent. Didn't they notice it when they interviewed her? Twiggy and Nigel have no room to talk about somebody's accents. I guess they forgot that she ROCKED that first Cover Girl commercial.

I'm inclined to agree that Cover Girl chooses the winner and the judges just sit back and make up reasons to cut a girl weekly. Their reasons are often insane. If Nnena needed to step up her game, why didn't they tell her that before cutting her? Last season, they put Nic in a dress without a bra and then complain that she has a jiggly walk. Cover girl probably wants someone like Jade that many people can identify with. Clearly she has some Caucasian (mother), African American (father??) and possibly Asian in her. At least she appears to. This would make her appeal to many more people. That good old American melting pot.

MSWONDERFUL 2 desperate attention whore postings

05-12-06, 01:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail MSWONDERFUL Click to send private message to MSWONDERFUL Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Country V/S Southern Accent. Should Danielle change herself...again?"
I LIVE IN THE SOUTH AND I DO NOT SEE A THING WRONG WITH HER SPEECH!! THEY NEED TO BACK OFF, SHE CAN ALWAYS TAKE A CLASS TO HELP OUT BUT NOTHING WILL OR CAN HELP MONSTER FACE JADE THE DEMON SEED!!

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •