The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"American Top Model as an example"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences America's Next Top Model Forum (Protected)
Original message

m2d2r1 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

10-06-05, 06:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail m2d2r1 Click to send private message to m2d2r1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"American Top Model as an example"
I have watched American Top model with my daughters and granddaughters. It has been a time where we share together about fashion and makeup. It has been a special time of bonding. This season I have been very upset. By putting a lesbian on the show, showing the kissing and sleeping together has been upsetting to myself and my family. We have not had to see that with any male and female why do we have to see it with Kim and Sara. Is this a way to up the rating? Supposedly this is to be a PG13 show. How can it be when my granddaughter doesn't even understand how this can happen. I am shocked that Tyra who I had admired as a business woman would allow this to happen. I am really surprised that being called "American Top Model" you would keep a girl who can't pose, doesn't show improvement, can't walk on the show and let some other of the girls go. The only time Kim looks comfortable is when she is dressed in more of a male looking attire. Is this truly fair to the competition. I personally think it is a sell out for the ratings.
  Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: American Top Model as an exampl... Snidget 10-06-05 1
   RE: American Top Model as an exampl... leianawd 10-06-05 2
   RE: American Top Model as an exampl... Tough Cookie 10-11-05 9
   RE: American Top Model as an exampl... Miss Gabbi 06-28-06 22
 RE: American Top Model as an exampl... leianawd 10-06-05 3
 RE: American Top Model as an exampl... bluekeywest 10-06-05 4
   RE: American Top Model NOT an exa... goldie1000 10-06-05 5
       RE: American Top Model NOT an exa... leianawd 10-08-05 6
           RE: American Top Model NOT an exa... goldie1000 10-10-05 7
               RE: American Top Model NOT an exa... leianawd 10-11-05 8
                   RE: American Top Model NOT an exa... goldie1000 10-11-05 10
                       RE: American Top Model NOT an exa... Miss Gabbi 06-28-06 21
                           WARNING Bebo 06-28-06 23
               RE: American Top Model NOT an exa... Loquatrix 10-12-05 11
                   RE: American Top Model NOT an exa... goldie1000 10-13-05 12
                       RE: American Top Model NOT an exa... leianawd 10-14-05 13
                           RE: American Top Model NOT an exa... goldie1000 10-14-05 14
                       RE: American Top Model NOT an exa... Miss Gabbi 06-28-06 19
                           DO NOT BASH OTHER POSTERS Bebo 06-28-06 24
                   RE: American Top Model NOT an exa... Miss Gabbi 06-28-06 20
 RE: American Top Model as an exampl... GreenSideUp 10-20-05 15
   RE: American Top Model as an exampl... goldie1000 10-20-05 16
   RE: American Top Model as an exampl... leianawd 10-25-05 17
 RE: American Top Model as an exampl... Miss Gabbi 06-28-06 18
   LEAVE OTHER POSTERS ALONE Bebo 06-28-06 25
   RE: American Top Model as an exampl... dlsmit06 07-02-06 26
       RE: American Top Model as an exampl... Boettcha3 12-12-06 27

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-06-05, 07:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: American Top Model as an example"
LAST EDITED ON 10-06-05 AT 07:06 AM (EST)

A couple of seasons back they had the trip to Milan where the one girl slept with one of the men they just met and were partying with and had a whole break down with the boyfriend on the phone over it.

If I recall they showed quite a bit of the lead up to that. So they have shown boy girl very sexy stuff when it occured.

This could be what one would call a "teaching moment" which set of values you use this to teach is up to you. If you have a heart to heart even with a fairly young child you might be suprised how much awareness there is that some people are different in these kinds of ways (there may be someone in her class that has two Mommies or Daddies, or she might want to know why some of the little boys call the other little boys bad words meaning homosexual. Even if you have kept them from every show on TV that ever had a gay character on it at any time or every news outlet that ever mentioned gay marriage, etc chances are it has already come into their awareness one way or the other).

A Syren Creation

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

leianawd 471 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

10-06-05, 07:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail leianawd Click to send private message to leianawd Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: American Top Model as an example"
I agree. If a child is old enough to stay up and watch a bunch of woman creating drama then they are old enough to know the world around them. Children are going to know what homosexuality is and see it whether you want them to or not, that is unless you plan on boxing them in and not letting them out into society. One question though if this is a show you and your family watch then haven't you all noticed the walking coach walk around in heals and dresses and he is clearly gay?

Tough Cookie 256 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

10-11-05, 04:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tough%20Cookie Click to send private message to Tough%20Cookie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: American Top Model as an example"
LAST EDITED ON 10-11-05 AT 04:58 PM (EST)

I agree with Snidget, but I am sorry you and members of your family felt uncomfortable.

While there is a line some reality TV shows have no problem crossing (Paradise Hotel, To an extent BB)I hadn't thought ANTM was one of them.

While it may have been a bit of ratings grab I can't see how it would be any different if it was a male and a female and perhaps if it was an "I love you" situation as oppose to a "something under the sheets" situation it may have been more acceptable.

But reality shows, In gerenal aren't suitable for a younger audience.

But this is all in my opinion and it is your right to feel upset over what you thought should not have appeared on your television screen.

Siggie Courtesy of tribelphyl!
And that's the way the cookie crumbles

Miss Gabbi 13 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

06-28-06, 12:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Miss%20Gabbi Click to send private message to Miss%20Gabbi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: American Top Model as an example"
Absolutly right!!

10-06-05, 08:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail leianawd Click to send private message to leianawd Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: American Top Model as an example"
I thought of a few things after I had made my first post so I wanted to add them. Like the other poster said on the first season a woman cheated on her boyfriend also has a prior conviction of robbery and on the same season the woman posed nude together (and they were very sensual pics.), there's been a woman who admitted to throwing up after she eats (bulemia)there was Brittney the one who would get trashed and dance on tables not to mention the fact that she had a mouth worse than a sailor, the point is there has been plenty of bad example moments on this show. I was just wondering if you have followed this show for a while and if you have did these incidents bother you as much as a lesbian being on the show who is very open about her sexuality?

bluekeywest 1 desperate attention whore postings

10-06-05, 09:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bluekeywest Click to send private message to bluekeywest Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: American Top Model as an example"
I have to agree. I have seen every episode since season 1 and this season I just don't think I can watch it. I have a gay brother so Kim being a lesbian doesn't bother me but this is a show for young girls. There is a time and place to display such acts and effection and I don't think this is the show to do that. I thought Trya was a role model It make me sick to see two girls kissing and sleeping together. Don't we have enough junk on TV. I've picked every winner so far as I have enjoyed the show but I won't be picking this season as I have enough of Kim.

goldie1000 1087 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

10-06-05, 10:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail goldie1000 Click to send private message to goldie1000 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: American Top Model NOT an example"
LAST EDITED ON 10-07-05 AT 09:35 AM (EST)

I completely agree with you and I empathize.

I don't think National Television is the appropraite place for Sarah to be discovering her sexuality, no matter what age is watching, and no matter what time of day it is.

This is a TOP MODEL COMPETITION !
This isn't Paradise Hotel or Big Brother.

This show and these prizes are major stuff.
This could be a major career for one or more of the girls.

I could care less about Sarah's sex life period.
Whether it be guys, girls or whatever...

I watch the show to see the competition, not to get a lesson on sexuality from an amateur. And yes, there are impressionable young girls watching the show, and Sarah should of had enough respect for herself and other young girls, to keep it to herself. And consentrate more on the task at hand.
Maybe she could of practised walking, or posing a little more....

Also she is a very bad example to go by. Not only did she cheat on her boyfriend, but she looked cheap when she jumped on Kim in the limo. I would of felt exactly the same way if it had of been a man. It was just pain slutty !
And her boyfriend had to watch that ?
Kind of a slap in the face for him, obviously she doesn't respect him either. I hope he dumps her, and finds a girl who appreciates him.

And now she is gone. Something tells me she was much more pre-occupied with other things rather then being a model.
Even the other girls in the house agree with that !!
Really she made a fool out of herself.

There are other girls way more deserving of this title.
That have some class....

And I will add that, I think Kim is just as much to blame, and I hope she is out the door next. She is on thin ice anyhow...
Seeing her in an ad, will not want to make me buy the product.

And further this is a job application, being much like Donald Trumps apprentise, these people are competing for a very important Top Model job. One of the girls will be set in her career. And Top Model can lead to many other golden opportunities. I don't see Donalds apprentises rolling around in bed together. With the prizes being top notch, I think a top notch person should be deserving of them. Someone who really truly wants the position ! And is there for that reason only.

Tara is watching them every step of the way, off camera and on. They should be more careful of what they do and say.
Afterall they will be representing some very major companies.

Just My Opinion...

10-08-05, 10:47 PM (EST)
6. "RE: American Top Model NOT an example"
In my opinion most reality shows are not suitable for younger audiences as it's a given that controversial things will be shown, so the blame goes to the parents for not carefully monitering what their child(ren)is watching. Second of all, someone being a lesbian is not a bad example, there are gay people everywhere and I think that is something everyone needs to get used to, it's called tolerance. I'm not saying that it's cool for anyone to go on national t.v. and make out or fool around with strangers, it just seems that the issue is more that it involved two woman than anything, which I don't understand. Like I have said in my previous post there has been worse examples on this show than two woman making out. I don't think it's a good example for a woman to cheat on her boyfriend, who also has a criminal record for robbery or a woman that throws up after she eats, which is one of the worse since a lot of young girls fall prey to eating disorders,yet where are people's complaint about those contestants?

10-10-05, 11:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail goldie1000 Click to send private message to goldie1000 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: American Top Model NOT an example"
>The blame goes
>to the parents for not
>carefully monitering what their child(ren)is
>watching.

I totally and completely agree with you on that !

>Second of all, someone
>being a lesbian is not
>a bad example

I never said that it is. As I said, I don't care what sex she likes whether it be man, woman, animal..etc...
I didn't think her actions were appropraite for this competition.
She is setting a bad example by acting like a tramp and a cheater on TV. I would have more respect for both Sarah and Kim if they could handle their love lives in private. I am only interested in the comp.

I'm not
>saying that it's cool for
>anyone to go on national
>t.v. and make out or
>fool around with strangers

Exactly !
It is just plain slutty and shows no amount of class.
They need to stick to high standards when picking a winner for this show. After all they will be representing some really major companies.

>Where are people's complaint about those contestants?

I have lots of complaints about the others just none that I feel strong enough about voicing yet, but I will eventually.

I am not going to refer to past shows cause they are in the past and it's unproductive to refer to them. Plus in the past shows the models who were immature or say had major problems didn't make it too far, so maybe these girls should take that into consideration.

Thank you for replying to my post.
What do you think of the concept of Coryn really being a man ?
Do you think it is true ?
I am still not sure what to think...
I definitely don't think Diane is.

10-11-05, 11:53 AM (EST)
8. "RE: American Top Model NOT an example"
LoL, I don't think Coryn is really a man, but I'll be sure to look closer at her neck next time. I personally hope that Coryn really starts to dazzle the judges because I really do think that she has a unique atractiveness to her,yes even with the brows, especially after the makeover.

Secondly, I'm glad to see someone else responding to this thread more disgusted at the promiscuity of Sarah and Kim than the fact that they are two woman.

Is it just me or are these contestants harder to remember? I have a hard time remembering everyone and their names with the exception of Coryn, Lisa, Sarah, Diane, Kim and Bre/Bri.

10-11-05, 05:02 PM (EST)
10. "RE: American Top Model NOT an example"
LAST EDITED ON 10-11-05 AT 07:49 PM (EST)

I am going to be sure to check out her neck now that you said that.
I am really interested in figuring that out.
She has such a nice figure though, the figure is not manly at all. I think she has a unique look as well, I want to see more photo shoots of her.

Well tomorrow night is the night !
yet another girl will be saying bye bye....

I was having a tough time remembering who is who also, so I have a cheat sheet beside the computer for reference.

I am still rooting for Bre, she was really good last show.
Or Jayla

06-28-06, 12:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Miss%20Gabbi Click to send private message to Miss%20Gabbi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: American Top Model NOT an example"
Will you PLEASE leave your homophobia outside. Leave the girl's neck alone. Do you or do you not think she can win? That is what this is about. Not "is she gay or ain't she?"

Bebo 20880 desperate attention whore postings

06-28-06, 09:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "WARNING"
Do NOT bash other posters. And do not tell other posters what they can or cannot discuss. If you think a poster has violated our guidelines, then alert the moderators and leave the mods handle it.

Loquatrix 640 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

10-12-05, 11:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loquatrix Click to send private message to Loquatrix Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: American Top Model NOT an example"
I am only interested in the comp.

But that's the problem, goldie. America's Next Top Model ISN'T just a comp. It's a reality TV show.

That means its script calls for as many moments of interpersonal conflict and drama as possible.

If only the model competition mattered, they wouldn't make the women live together. And we'd only see footage of the women in their professional capacity as models, at their hair and makeup, on a shoot, on the runway, in the TV studio. Never in their bedrooms, or romping in limos, or otherwise being required to interact with each other in a personal way. If it were just a model competition, they would just be competitors. They would never be roommates.

But it's not just a model competition. It's reality TV. There's a huge difference in what you can reasonably expect from it as a viewer. I happen to agree with you that it would be a much better show if we saw only the photoshoots and runway competitions and go-sees and evaluations -- the actual modelling stuff -- and not have to suffer through the ancillary interpersonal stuff that makes it a reality TV show and not just a modelling contest. But that's the format of the program and until someone makes the modelling show that you and I want, we're stuck with the drama.

Thank jeebus for TiVo, eh?

10-13-05, 08:02 AM (EST)
12. "RE: American Top Model NOT an example"
Yes, I fully understand this is a reality show. But like I said, you don't see Donald Trumps Apprentises rolling around in bed together. I guess we can blame this solely on the producers of the show, for smucking it up.
We probably won't see much more of that anyway now that Sarah is gone. So maybe now the show can go back to being more of an example once again. Like someone said before, sometimes they do that just for the ratings.

10-14-05, 08:45 AM (EST)
13. "RE: American Top Model NOT an example"
What do you think of the concept of Coryn really being a man ?
Do you think it is true ?

Well, I watched the recent episode and spent most of it staring at Coryn's neck and from my observations she is no man. In fact Coryn actually does have a feminine face, just unique and I don't think the eyebrows helped her.

10-14-05, 11:51 AM (EST)
14. "RE: American Top Model NOT an example"
Check out my last post under, I think one of the contestants is a HE. I give my opinion on this topic.

06-28-06, 12:26 PM (EST)
19. "RE: American Top Model NOT an example"
That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard!! Do you think Tyra whent out to recriut dykes and fags to go on the show? The producers had nothing to do with it. They are beautiful girls who want to be models. Miss Jay has been a runway coach since BEFORE the show, and probobly gay. So you have no right to smutt their names like that.

06-28-06, 09:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "DO NOT BASH OTHER POSTERS"
There's a link to our guidelines at the top of this page - please read them.

06-28-06, 12:31 PM (EST)
20. "RE: American Top Model NOT an example"
My sister was recruited by Ford Modeling Agancey, and that is exactly how it is. 59 million girls in the same house learning aobut hair and makup and walking and diet and how to hold their face. You have to understand, Tyra is no amature. She went through the same thing. Granted she got discovered, but they didn't just throw her up on the runway. She had to learn from the best of the best. That is how it is in real life. So, as they say, "if they can't take the heat........"

GreenSideUp 274 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

10-20-05, 10:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail GreenSideUp Click to send private message to GreenSideUp Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: American Top Model as an example"
LAST EDITED ON 10-20-05 AT 10:22 PM (EST)

I wouldn't be worried about the lesbianism. I'd be worried about the body image and starvation issues. Children are not likely to emulate homosexual behavior but they sure will copy the distorted body attitudes. Check out this site http://www.livejournal.com/community/proanorexia/
The members are using famous starving people for their avatars. (The little picture in the right corner of each post is the avatar)

10-20-05, 10:23 PM (EST)
16. "RE: American Top Model as an example"
That is SO TRUE !!!

10-25-05, 08:42 AM (EST)
17. "RE: American Top Model as an example"
Thank you soooooo much!!!!! People always seem to be soooo concerned about the least important issues and ignore the bigger issues in life.

06-28-06, 12:23 PM (EST)
18. "RE: American Top Model as an example"
My belief says that homosexuality is a sin. However, that is not what the focus is about. You cannot berate the show just because your individual beliefs are offended. This is a show about modeling. If you have your opinion, keep it to yourself. This is not a religious forum. If you want to talk about sin and hell, go to that forum. My daughter will be 14 on Nov 4, and she wants to go on the show. You have to trust your children and grand children to make their own choices. I am not afraid the show will corrupt my daughter. I just want the world to see that she is as beautiful as Tyra. Again, if you don't like it don't watch. It's real life.

06-28-06, 09:51 PM (EST)
25. "LEAVE OTHER POSTERS ALONE"
Posters are free to discuss any aspect of the show that they wish, as long as they comply with our community guidelines. You are not allowed to bash them for doing so. If you continue to violate our community guidelines, your posting privileges will be revoked.

dlsmit06 2 desperate attention whore postings

07-02-06, 04:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dlsmit06 Click to send private message to dlsmit06 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: American Top Model as an example"
Hey, what is the name of the hip hop song that comes on at the beginning of the show when they are showing the models?

Boettcha3 46 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

12-12-06, 05:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Boettcha3 Click to send private message to Boettcha3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: American Top Model as an example"
in general, alot of shows show this material for the ratings, i dont think its to discriminate anyone or make anyone feel uncomfortable. In general, for any show, if you dont like the material, i guess don't watch it. In a way they are just showing what is going on in real life and that people with those lifestyles exist. it probably wasnt on purpose, but the fact that they showed so much footage was to shwo the love interest in the house, they probably would have showed this if it was a girl or a guy. just a thought

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •