The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"A question about "You're fired""
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Apprentice General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

echidna 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

08-09-06, 11:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail echidna Click to send private message to echidna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"A question about "You're fired""
Sorry, I'm not really a fan of the show and I only catch it from time to time and see it in commercials, but I really couldn't find something about my question.

After 5/6 (3/4 in the PHilippines) seasons, I've always been bothered by Donald Trump's catch-phrase "You're fired!" That's what he says when he eliminates a contestant right? Now what bothers me is the repeated assertions on how the show is the largest or longest or (insert adjective) *job interview*. I know it's nitpicky but technically isn't it that Donald Trump can't actually "fire" the contestants because they're not "actually" working "for" him quite yet. In fact aren't they kind of unemployed? OR not. On the flip side, saying "Your application is rejected" isn't quite catchy and simply saying "Rejected!!!," although more catchy, is certainly quite abrasive or obnoxious.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: A question about "You're fired" mysticwolf 08-10-06 1
   They can still be technically fiire... lindan 08-17-06 2
       RE: They can still be technically f... profesora_toro4 08-18-06 3
 RE: A question about "You're fired" livsforluv 08-21-06 4

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

mysticwolf 10692 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-10-06, 02:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: A question about "You're fired""
If I recall correctly early in the first season one of the contestants did something, or said something in the boardroom that was so outrageous that DT simply blurted out, unscripted, the "You're Fired" line, including the trademark handflip of dismissal.

Everyone, including DT, who hadn't expected to blurt that out, was stunned and there was some question about what to do, but they all realized it was an unscripted moment that they not only didn't want to lose, but provided a trademark dismissal that worked. They kept it. Although, DT wasn't all that thrilled at first, and has said that in real life he would never actually fire someone in that way.

(And, since that kind of firing is pretty public - even if only in front of the others in the room - I believe it. He's not interested in being sued by former employees. Even DT has an HR department in his organization to take care of that sort of thing day to day. If you're important enough to take his personal interest he's going to be far more likely to, at the least, handle it in private, if not work out some sort of settlement to make you go away.)

Semantically, you are correct. They haven't actually been hired by him yet, so he can't fire them. But, in a way they have been "hired" for an extended interview process for which they've agreed to put their lives on hold, and temporarily relocate their residence. Not unlike a contract position - and, you can bet on it, they've signed a contract before the show starts. And it makes for good show drama, even if it wouldn't be the way it went down in real life.

Pack Alpha Status Accorded by Tribe blogging's scary

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

lindan 270 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

08-17-06, 05:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail lindan Click to send private message to lindan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "They can still be technically fiired"
A lot of times when candiates are required to call a client, they would say things like
"This is Wes calling from Mosaic", or "This is Ivana calling from Apex". They are making it sound like there is a real company called Mosaic, Apex, etc.

When Trump says "You're fired", it can imply the candidate is fired from the "company" Magna, Networth, Excel, or whatever name they choose for to give themselves at the beginning of the season. Afterall, Trump is still the big boss of Versacorp, Protege, and other 'companies'.

profesora_toro4 68 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

08-18-06, 02:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail profesora_toro4 Click to send private message to profesora_toro4 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: They can still be technically fiired"
And after all we are talking about the Donald here. He does whatever he wants to without caring what anyone else is going to think.

livsforluv 113 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

08-21-06, 03:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail livsforluv Click to send private message to livsforluv Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: A question about "You're fired""
I think that it's all about the phrasing. Your fired just sounds dramatic.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •