The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Religious Discrimination"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Apprentice General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

janda3 87 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

03-13-06, 09:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail janda3 Click to send private message to janda3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Religious Discrimination"
I just saw the preview on Yahoo for tonight's episode. It shows that Lee & Dan, who are Jewish (Lee happens to be Orthodox), informing Gold Rush that due to the Jewish New Year (Rosh HaShonah), they will not be active for 2 days. Tarek asks if they will be reachable by cell phone & they inform them that they will not. Lenny, who is a Russian Jew, curses them out & says that they are using this as an excuse not to do work. He then says in his remarks that in Israel, during war, jewish solidgers fight, whether they like to or not. First off, you can't compare this game to a matter of life & death, as in a war. Second, Lenny has to realize that in the USA there is something called Religious Rights & if someone violates these rights, or prosecutes someone based on their religious rights & freedoms, it is a violation of federal law. If a project manager should take Lee & Dan to task for their observance, then the project manager should be fired. And if the Donald, who has always been a friend to the Jewish Population in New York (going back to his parents), does anything against these 2 people, then he should be reported to the EEOC for religious discrimination. Besides, I am positive that the Donald saw Lee's yarmulka in his audition video, so he knew that he accepted an Orthodox Jew as one of his possible Apprentice (who knew about Dan?)
  Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Religious Discrimination Estee 03-13-06 1
 RE: Religious Discrimination singer 03-14-06 2
   RE: Religious Discrimination janda3 03-14-06 4
       RE: Religious Discrimination singer 03-14-06 5
 RE: Religious Discrimination singer 03-14-06 3
 RE: Religious Discrimination fjn avi 03-14-06 6
   RE: Religious Discrimination mistyrose52 03-14-06 7
   RE: Religious Discrimination adricharlie 03-14-06 11
   RE: Religious Discrimination janda3 03-15-06 16
   RE: Religious Discrimination dafnaf 03-20-06 21
 RE: Religious Discrimination ginger 03-14-06 8
   RE: Religious Discrimination Wacko Jacko 03-14-06 9
       RE: Religious Discrimination ARnutz 03-14-06 10
       RE: Religious Discrimination adricharlie 03-14-06 12
           RE: Religious Discrimination ARnutz 03-14-06 13
 RE: Religious Discrimination mocha madness 03-14-06 14
   RE: Religious Discrimination Cygnus X1 03-15-06 15
       RE: Religious Discrimination janda3 03-15-06 17
           RE: Religious Discrimination drooler 03-16-06 18
               RE: Religious Discrimination fjn avi 03-17-06 19
           RE: Religious Discrimination dafnaf 03-18-06 20

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Estee 55194 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-13-06, 12:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Religious Discrimination"
It's a (quasi-) glorified game show, not a war, so suspending Judaic doctrine for the duration isn't going to work. Lenny's in the wrong here: his policies and branch don't match Dan and Lee's exactly and he can't impose his beliefs on them. Poor, poor Lenny.
If Sandy Koufax can avoid pitching on a High Holy Day, Dan and Lee can take a weekend off from DAWdom.

As for whether it leads to Lee and/or Dan being fired -- no idea. Donald probably wants someone who's available 24/7/365, but he's also flexible enough to make it 360 or so as long as you get all your sleeping done during those five days.

(On the spoiler side: well, we now have an exact date to work backwards and forwards from on episode filming. Not that it'll do much, but...)

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

singer 1910 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

03-14-06, 06:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail singer Click to send private message to singer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Religious Discrimination"
It's good that they could observe the holy day. Lenny hails from a culture where in some historical contexts, powerful economic and political leaders have persecuted people for their religious practices. That does not mean that he would do this himself, but maybe that historical fact has something to do with how he feels about their decision to honour their cultural practices and about how that would affect their work ethic on the show. Or maybe he was simply being competitive. I don't know. But it was definitely an interesting reaction, to put it mildly.

I do not believe that The Donald has always been a friend to Jewish population of New York based on his alleged racist comments about blacks and Jews and their work habits in a book written by one of his former employees.

--Singer

03-14-06, 07:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail janda3 Click to send private message to janda3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Religious Discrimination"
Before the fall of communism in the USSR, I was active with a group call the STudent Struggle for Soviet Jewry. During the communist regime, religion was not allowed to be practiced. That included Judaim, Muslam, Christianity, Buddaism, etc. If a Jew practiced his religion, they would be put into prison, for immense periods of time. And yet, there were jews that practiced in secret. There were people who traveled to the USSR for all over the world to help teach these secret jews about their religion. Natan Sharansky, who is today a leader in Israeli politics & has written many books about democracy & his experiences, was one of these "refusniks" He spent close to 15 years in prison for observing his religion & requesting to leave to go to Israel. Why am I telling you all this? Becasue Lenny is Jewish. He's not in the USSR, where it was a crime to say "I can't work today because it's my holiday." He probably still has that fear. But he has to realize that in the USA people can take off from work for their religion & not be scared of being fired let alone being carted off to prison.

03-14-06, 08:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail singer Click to send private message to singer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Religious Discrimination"
I understand what you are saying and agree totally.

--Singer

03-14-06, 06:54 AM (EST)
3. "RE: Religious Discrimination"
BTW, Lenny is hilarious. He certainly doesn't discriminate when he's showing disdain for someone:

To Charmaine: "Shut up, I don't listen to you."
To Trump, "Fire both of them."

ROFLMAO

--Singer

fjn avi 4 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

03-14-06, 09:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail fjn%20avi Click to send private message to fjn%20avi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Religious Discrimination"
I always find it interesting (baffling? exasperating?) when Orthodox Jews get flack for practicing their beliefs from fellow Jews (Lenny), but get respect for it from non-Jews (Bryce, Trump).

I seriously doubt whether Lenny would have accused Christians of using Christmas as "an excuse not to work." Yet somehow it's OK to rag on your own people just because they are more observant than you are.

What do the rest of you think?

Avi

P.S. Full disclosure here-- I am asking this not only for my own personal curiosity but for that of my readers. I publish a local Jewish newspaper and will be writing about last night's episode. I will not quote anyone on this board by name, unless you specifically say in your post that I may do so.

P.P.S. FYI, Dan is Orthodox too, not just Lee.

mistyrose52 795 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

03-14-06, 10:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mistyrose52 Click to send private message to mistyrose52 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Religious Discrimination"
I understand to a point, what Lenny was saying. Although I am not Jewish, nor am I affiliated with a religion that rules that you should take time off for any specific 'holy days', it is, as someone else noted, a law here in the US that you have to allow it.

I am a Christian, Protestant, and one year I was working with another nurse who was Catholic. She chose to take time off from work-1-2 hours, during the Lent season, to go to the church close to the clinic where we worked. My fellow co-workers and I all felt that it was a total cop-out, a way to get out of work. I have been around Catholics all my life, and had yet to see any of them take time off work to go to the church during Lent-the church is open at all times. So, in this case, this lady was totally screwing off her job.

Having said that, I really know nothing of Rosh Hashanna, and can't point a finger at either Dan, the other guy, or Lenny. Lenny had his own values, and I do see his point, having had the experience I mentioned above. Lenny is very opinionated-maybe because he comes from a place where he couldn't be so much before. I don't know. I fear his openness will come back to bite him in the butt if he isn't careful.

adricharlie 1242 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

03-14-06, 04:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail adricharlie Click to send private message to adricharlie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Religious Discrimination"
Actually I think Lenny would have ragged on anybody for whatever reason they come up with not to work. He just strikes me for some reason as a very competitive, opinionated man. His way is the only way to be. Trump was being oh so politically correct and understanding, but who knows if that was real or for TV. Like everyone else he was just looking for who to blame in case they lose. Maybe if these people would focus more on the task and less on who they are gonna try to get fired, they might stand a chance at winning.

03-15-06, 10:55 AM (EST)
16. "RE: Religious Discrimination"
How do you know that Dan is Orthodox? We know Lee is because he wears a Yarmulka on his video. Also I know which Yeshiva he's from since he lives in my area.

dafnaf 38 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

03-20-06, 07:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dafnaf Click to send private message to dafnaf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Religious Discrimination"
It's just like the episode in seinfeld, where a dentist converted to Judaism and then felt he was allowed to joke about Jews, since he was then Jewish.

I believe Lenny just wanted to look good infront of Trump (and it didn't really work), because he could go but he stayed inspite of rosh hashana.

(Kramer: "You're a rabid anti-dentite! Oh, it starts with a few jokes and some slurs. "Hey, denty!" Next thing you know you're saying they should have their own schools."

Jerry: "They do have their own schools!")

ginger 22511 desperate attention whore postings

03-14-06, 12:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Religious Discrimination"
LAST EDITED ON 03-14-06 AT 02:00 PM (EST)

I'm a Jew but just barely (haven't set foot inside a temple in over a decade).

I work with many many many Jews.

Most do NOT take off for Rosh Hoshanah. Most DO take off for Yom Kippur. That's the biggee, the one that specifically forbids working (and eating, for that matter).

I was startled that such a large percentage of that team was Jewish. It seemed contrived.

I think between the project management and the general team ineptitude they would have lost with or without the Nice Jewish Boyz who chose not to work.

Wacko Jacko 2434 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

03-14-06, 02:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Wacko%20Jacko Click to send private message to Wacko%20Jacko Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Religious Discrimination"
The whole epsiode was too PC for me. Did you hear Donald say, that the jewish will work on December 25? Come on, I work with Jewish people and I can guarentee my compnay doesn't even unlock the doors on December 25. Jewish people do not work December 25th. It was assinine for Donald to even say so.

Also, what is the actual date of the Jewish New Year? All I know is our company publishes a list of holidays and the Jewish New Year is not on that list. Maybe things are different in New York City...but if they are this is the first time I have ever heard of such a stink over the Jewish New Year.

ARnutz 13792 desperate attention whore postings

03-14-06, 03:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ARnutz Click to send private message to ARnutz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Religious Discrimination"
LAST EDITED ON 03-14-06 AT 03:35 PM (EST)

Well... having grown up in a town with a very large Orthodox population, the public schools were always closed for all of the Jewish holidays, even though the most religious people usually went to a private, Hebrew school. Sometimes, we got our Spring break during Passover and just a long weekend for Easter. It depended on how the calendar fell each year. I always had off for both Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippor. Hanukkah was not as big of a holiday as those others.

My kids, even though we aren't in an Orthodox area now, always have Yom Kippor off.

Both holidays fall in either September or October each year (the Jewish calendar is different than the one we use), with Rosh Hashanah coming before Yom Kippor, so it will be interesting to see if this comes up again in the next few tasks, given that Yom Kippor is the holiest of all the holidays.

ETA: Also, as a Math Professor, I cannot penalize students for being absent on those religious holidays. We are never allowed to count that against a student. Since that is the case, I must either not schedule tests or quizzes on those days or allow them to make it up at another time, even though my policy is no make-ups.

adricharlie 1242 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

03-14-06, 05:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail adricharlie Click to send private message to adricharlie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Religious Discrimination"
Jewish people do not work on Dec 25th because it is designated a national holiday and many companies are closed that day. It does not mean they would be unwilling to work.

ARnutz 13792 desperate attention whore postings

03-14-06, 07:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ARnutz Click to send private message to ARnutz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Religious Discrimination"
In the Orthodox community, they work on Christmas day and their schools are open, but they may not have bus service if the drivers are Christian.

Anyway, another thing I thought of... Employers are not supposed to penalize employees for taking those religious holidays off from work in our country, although I bet many of them have to use personal time to get paid for it.

mocha madness 251 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

03-14-06, 08:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mocha%20madness Click to send private message to mocha%20madness Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Religious Discrimination"
FYI in regards to Jewish people working on christmas.....in both Portland, Oregon and in Seattle, WA Jewish service organizations volunteer to staff positions for Christians on both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day so they can spend that evening/day with their families. This was for employers like hospitals & nursing homes where many staff people have to work, and probably appreciate that evening/day off.

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings

03-15-06, 02:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Cygnus%20X1 Click to send private message to Cygnus%20X1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Religious Discrimination"
That's pretty much what my wife's office does. It's by no means a rule, but many of the Jewish ladies work Christmas so that those who want to celebrate Christmas can do so. In return, my wife and other Christians work the HHDs for the Jewish folk. (Her office has to be staffed 365 days a year, though not 24 hours a day.)

Better than I deserve.

03-15-06, 11:05 AM (EST)
17. "RE: Religious Discrimination"
All of you are right on the mark. The reason that the Jewish holidays fall differently every year is because we follow the Lunar calender, not the solar calender. Our days begin at night, when it's about 1 1/2 after sundown. And Rosh HaShona is a very serious holiday that needs to be taken off. The only hoidays that can work can be done are Chanuka & the holiday of Purim (but only if you really can't get off from work).

BTW, those candidates who are religious have to let the Donald know about it in advance, since they have to provide Kosher food in the Loft, have to keep the Sabbath, & the like. What would have happened if Gold Rush had won the first task & the lunch would have been served & Dan & Lee wouldn't be able to eat it due to the fact that is isn't kosher? How do you thing EPMB & DT will handle or have handled that?

drooler 67 desperate attention whore postings

03-16-06, 02:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail drooler Click to send private message to drooler Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Religious Discrimination"
The easiest way to keep kosher when traveling or going to restaurants is to choose vegetarian meals.

fjn avi 4 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

03-17-06, 09:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail fjn%20avi Click to send private message to fjn%20avi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Religious Discrimination"
That only works if you are not strictly kosher. Those of us who REALLY follow the rules can't rely on "vegetarian" as kosher.

dafnaf 38 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

03-18-06, 05:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dafnaf Click to send private message to dafnaf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Religious Discrimination"
Don't forget that there are many Jews who observe the holidays but not necssarily keep the Shabbat.
Actually, most people in Israel are like that.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •