The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Defining a great manager, and who really was..."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Apprentice General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

namedujour 8 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

12-18-05, 09:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail namedujour Click to send private message to namedujour Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Defining a great manager, and who really was..."
LAST EDITED ON 12-18-05 AT 09:56 AM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 12-18-05 AT 09:24 AM (EST)

I posted something on another thread, but it was off-topic to that discussion so it's going to be buried. I wanted to hone in on, and explore whether Randal or Rebecca was the better manager based on the definition of a "great manager".

This is a quote from what I said:

What Rebecca did was pull Toral back into the mix and reiterate: "I believe in you." Toral, in response, had a fervent loyalty toward Rebecca that nobody will ever be able to shake. Everything Toral did from that point on was not for her own benefit, but for Rebecca's. And she gave it everything she had.

A great manager gets excellent performance out of mediocre employees. A great manager knows how to instill personal loyalty (in Toral's case, "worship") in her team. A great manager recognizes ability where no one else sees it. Because Rebecca showed signs of being a "great manager", I would expect her to have told Donald to hire Randal as well, had the tables been turned. Why? Because Randal would have owed her big time. She then would have had his loyalty - provided he was a large enough soul to recognize what she was doing for him (his actions in the finale suggest, however, that he does not).

Rebecca's strategy didn't involve shutting people out (Randal's did). Hers involved gathering people around her, supporting them, and making them grateful and thereby loyal to her.

I prefer Rebecca's strategy to Randal's. Randal instilled loyalty in his teams as well when he was competing, but when he reached the finish line he dropped the ball and made an adversary out of Rebecca instead of a loyal supporter. He had an opportunity, and he missed it. It casts a pall on his judgment, in my opinion.

Last season, Kendra showed in the final project that she was particularly good at getting excellent work from mediocre employees. (Remember? Trump gave each candidate the very worst of the season's pickings.) She also instilled loyalty in them, and had a team whose sole focus was on seeing that Kendra succeeded, without regard for themselves. The other candidate (I cannot BELIEVE I can't recall her name!!) complained the whole time that her team was the "Three Stooges." Comments her team made indicated they were not entirely enthused about helping her, and someone pointed out that he had nothing to gain from doing so. When it was over, they parted with disgusted looks all around. By contrast, Kendra's team didn't think of themselves and what "they" had to gain at all. If Kendra won, "they" won. And they did.

Both Randal and Rebecca succeeded in pulling this off for the final project. However, Rebecca demonstrated early on that she recognized the value of an employee no one else saw value in (Toral), and in the end got the very best of what Toral could give. Her choice of Toral for her team was really very cagey, and showed more about her managerial ability than anything else she could have done. I liked them both until the final moments, but based on that alone I would have declared Rebecca the winner.

Furthermore, I was a little disturbed by the comment Randal's executive made, that he was concerned another member of the team seemed to be in charge rather than Randal. I have questions about how well he really performed, and wonder if his team carried him.

Edited for comment: I'm a newbie. Why didn't my HTML tags work????

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Defining a great manager, and w... Snidget 12-18-05 1
 RE: Defining a great manager, and w... deededell 12-19-05 2
   RE: Defining a great manager, and w... CantStandToLook 12-19-05 4
       RE: Defining a great manager, and w... deededell 12-19-05 5
           RE: Defining a great manager, and w... zipperhead 12-20-05 7
           RE: Defining a great manager, and w... prosecutor 12-20-05 10
 RE: Defining a great manager, and w... EnfanTerrible 12-19-05 3
   RE: Defining a great manager, and w... namedujour 12-20-05 6
       RE: Defining a great manager, and w... DooWahDitty 12-20-05 8
       RE: Defining a great manager, and w... singer 12-20-05 9
       RE: Defining a great manager, and w... geg6 12-20-05 11
 RE: Defining a great manager, and w... DooWahDitty 12-20-05 12

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-18-05, 09:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Defining a great manager, and who really was..."
LAST EDITED ON 12-18-05 AT 09:33 AM (EST)

Read the red instructions above the box you type your post for the instructions for HTML tags here. ETA: hint brackets you used

If you have other questions check out the handy help forum under off topic in the column on the left, lots of good info on how to use all the features.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

deededell 271 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

12-19-05, 06:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail deededell Click to send private message to deededell Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Defining a great manager, and who really was..."

In reponse to your manager post, in which you are right on, there are a few things I might like to add; if you don't mind. Randall continually used that his team trading was a strong point for him. I see this as a weak one. A real leader does not let all of his qualities shine all of the time, they try and bring out the qualities of those that they are leading shine. Rebecca, bless her heart, had every chance to gently guide that huge ego of Alla and Randall. (I think to Trump's notice)
Throughout the finale we were shown Randall addressing a group of people about "stuff". What scares me is that he is one to not no when wise counsel is needed. A key to any success. A man who seeks wise counsel will go far.

Rebecca is a woman who knows how to take a seed and nurture it till it blooms into something incredibly beautiful. No doubt, Trump was incredibly impressed with her sense of being. She will be on a winning streak before long and I predict giving Randall a run for his money and leaving Alla in the desert to thirst for more.

CantStandToLook 6254 desperate attention whore postings

12-19-05, 12:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CantStandToLook Click to send private message to CantStandToLook Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Defining a great manager, and who really was..."
I must have been watching ABC most of the season because I can remember several occasions when Randall took the backseat and aided his team as opposed to trying to outshine. The Star Wars task for all it's failure was most definitely an example. People have bashed Randall for not doing the presentation or making the final decisions on the display and so forth.

His teammates wanted the opportunity to shine and as he's alread won the previous week, he gave them that. The fact that marshawn let him down and the idiot PM made them miss a meeting are not his fault.

That's right , you're fired..get out already

deededell 271 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

12-19-05, 09:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail deededell Click to send private message to deededell Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Defining a great manager, and who really was..."

I agree that you were watching ABC. He knew he had immunity. He let those guys just do as they wanted. Anyone who says over and over "I run five companies" is not going to just let 2 people run a task into the ground. Randall stood back and let everyone else make the big mistakes and ride coattails till the end on alot of things. Did not offer too much at alot of times.

zipperhead 3442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

12-20-05, 09:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail zipperhead Click to send private message to zipperhead Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Defining a great manager, and who really was..."
LAST EDITED ON 12-20-05 AT 02:16 PM (EST)

You're missing a very obvious point that you even alluded to in your first post - Randal was regularly sought out by whichever team was allowed to add a member. If he was such a bad guy who rode on others' coattails, why did teams always pick him?

The obvious answer was that most of the other candidates appreciated his contributions. And in the finale, there were quite a few of them who cheered loudly when he was proclaimed the winner (before Trump asked him about Rebecca). So the people who spent weeks with him (rather than a few minutes of one hour every week, like us) thought he was a good guy.

ETF spelling in lots of places; must be my keyboard, because I haven't been drinking.

prosecutor 449 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

12-20-05, 01:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail prosecutor Click to send private message to prosecutor Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Defining a great manager, and who really was..."
>
>
>
>Randall stood back and
>let everyone else make the
>big mistakes and ride coattails
>till the end on alot
>of things. Did not offer
>too much at alot of
>times.

Deededell, You are mixing up Randal with Rebecca
Didn't you hear Alla. Rebecca was the weakest link.

EnfanTerrible 1239 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

12-19-05, 11:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail EnfanTerrible Click to send private message to EnfanTerrible Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Defining a great manager, and who really was..."
Let's not lose perspective. There are great managers, and there are people who look great on tv.

namedujour 8 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

12-20-05, 08:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail namedujour Click to send private message to namedujour Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Defining a great manager, and who really was..."
Someone mentioned in another thread that Randal's education, while impressive, is probably more of a liability than anything else. It doesn't guarantee he's going to be a good anything in the workplace, and it isn't a free ticket to the job of your dreams. I think that's probably true. Businesses don't necessarily hunt down the Rhodes Scholar with five degrees; they don't want to pay for it. It also, as that person pointed out, could indicate that he isn't focused, or is addicted to scholarship versus business.

My brother has two master's degrees. He held top executive positions, and was laid off about four times in ten years during economic downturns and corporate mergers. Then, at the last lay-off, he was too old (Ever try finding a job in your late forties/fifties? I dare you.), and is working as a consultant without benefits or reliable income. He's still too young to draw a pension, so he's living in very reduced circumstances without any opportunity to regain his ground. His two master's degrees aren't bailing him out, and nobody is impressed by them anymore. They've outlived their usefulness. And they don't guarantee that your company, to which you've been loyal through the years, isn't going to get rid of you so they can hire someone younger at half your salary.

I also know a woman who is working toward her doctorate. She is a professional academic who DOES NOTHING WELL ***IN LIFE*** except school. Her reasoning abilities are severely impaired - present her with any problem at all, big or small, and she will choose the stupidest, most destructive and least beneficial "solution." Her life is in constant havoc. She called me four times because she was suddenly homeless, and sitting on some curb with all her belongings and a big question mark hovering over her head, completely mystified over why this kept happening to her after all her great planning. She has never held a steady job because going to school her whole life postpones her having to ever do that. Her grade point average is 3.87, and that looks wonderful on paper. But she's the stupidest smart person I ever met in my life. She's going to end up as a professor...provided she remembers to show up for work.

I'm sure Randal isn't like her, but sometimes that's what you get when you judge people by their educations. I would set education aside as a consideration, but I wouldn't feel obligated to hire someone on the basis of his many degrees. In fact, I might be inclined to view them as a warning sign.

DooWahDitty 1615 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

12-20-05, 10:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail DooWahDitty Click to send private message to DooWahDitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Defining a great manager, and who really ..."
Kevin from another season took a lot of crap for this very reason.

Sigpic by Seana

singer 1910 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

12-20-05, 10:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail singer Click to send private message to singer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Defining a great manager, and who really was..."
LAST EDITED ON 12-20-05 AT 10:48 AM (EST)

"Businesses don't necessarily hunt down the Rhodes Scholar with five degrees; they don't want to pay for it. It also, as that person pointed out, could indicate that he isn't focused, or is addicted to scholarship versus business."

Many Rhodes Scholars (with or without five degrees) usually start their own businesses if they work in the business sector.

Being well-educated is not seen as a liability in most international business communities. It is only in the United States that I even hear positions of this nature.

--Singer

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

12-20-05, 02:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Defining a great manager, and who really was..."
Sorry, but I actually know a couple of Rhodes scholars and several Fullbright scholars.

None are unemployed or homeless. In fact, I know they make salaries that are many times mine and, probably, yours. Two own their own multi-million dollar consulting company. One is in academia. One works in politics at the national level. At least five or six work for major American and international corporations. All were highly sought-after when they got into the job market.

I don't know of any Rhodes or Fullbright scholars that attended the major university for which I work who are unemployed or, for that matter, unsuccessful.

And I can guarantee that all of them know the difference between success and failure when given a task the goal of which is to raise the most money for a particular charity.

I'm such a slut for the blues.

DooWahDitty 1615 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

12-20-05, 03:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DooWahDitty Click to send private message to DooWahDitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Defining a great manager, and who really was..."
It was interesting to see Randal speak on LKL. He came across differently because he's no longer in a competition. IMO, that is the real Randal. And it is impressive. You could see Rhodes scholar written all over him.

Sigpic by Seana

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •